BB is crazy with new releases

scott123456

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
Where I live standard pricing is eitehr 19.99, 29.99, 39.99, or 49.99 (excpetions apply for Halo 2 or Mortal Kombat).

However, I just went to best buy and noticed the following new releases
NFSU2 PS2 at 53.70
MGS3 at 50.70
Ghost recon 2 XBOX for 52.00

I just don't see how the industry thinks we will tolerate an increase in pricing. I had the guy go grab a GR2 and then saw it was 52.00 and told him to keep it. No thanks. I'll just wait till the first sale or price match.

Where the heck do they come up with these prices? I have a degree in Economics and I can't believe that they actually calculated their pricing strategy to say 52.00 was the price point. And who the hell came up with a price of 50.70 on MGS3? What stuff are they smoking?

Additional Note: I didn't see MP2, Mario Tennis, or GTA following this pricing strategy? All held to 49.99 PLUS EB doesn't sell them the games at overpriced amounts.

Kinda odd to release games at inflated prices when competition is at a high for the holidays plus the DS just came out.

Must be something new they are trying to see if people will pull the trigger on it.

Just imagine if they could price games at over $50, the amount of extra revenue it would bring it because of their high volume of sales would be helpful to them.

It's a matter of supply and demand. You can put 1000 copies on the shelf, that doesn't mean that they will all set at a higher price.

See, the key is that they could figure at 50 they could sell all 1000 = $50,000. HOwever, pricing strategy may determine that at 52.00, only 980 would sell since there would be a percentage of people who would not pay that price (that's us CAG folk). Revenue is then = $50,960. So, overall they would not sell as many but revenue would be up. THey would sacrafice volumne over revenue. However, I just don't see how an over saturated market of console and game options can support an increase in average retail price. Good examples of that are BG&E and POP. Great games lost in the pile.

FYI.. XBOX.com shows retail price at 49.99 for Ghost Recon 2. So, BB is actually over the suggested manufacturer retail.

I just came from Best Buy in Charlotte, NC, and they had at least 20 Nintendo DS handhelds.

So much for being in short supply. :roll:

Oh yeah, Ultramix 2(really 59.99) is priced at 67.50! thats almost 15 bucks more including tax! best buy must really hate us!

ItsTrueItsTrue92, you might as well cancel your CAG membership by that comment. I have hundreds of games in my collection. If I simply paid a few bucks more for every game, that adds up over time. As a true CAG and weekly buyer of games, I have to get the best price. For me, it was going in to get a 49.99 game with the $5 Gamer cared PLUS $10 off in my reward points. I'm not giving that money up by adding another 2 bucks to an overpriced game. No true CAG would pay that price.

[quote name='ItsTrueItsTrue92']OMG it's an extra two dollars! BB is crazy!

You obviously didn't want the game that bad if you weren't willing to pay an extra two dollars.[/quote]

oh I see, you're new here... this is cheapassgamer you know...

You obviously didn't want the game that bad if you weren't willing to pay an extra two dollars.[/quote]

Riiiiight... :roll:

Wouldn't it be possible to just price match any of their overpriced stuff with a competetor that has it priced correctly? Seems like that would render their strategy useless.

if their price is so high, and another store has it advertised at the regular $49.99 or lower, than that sweetens the price match plus 10% off deal....so they're not as smart as you think....unless they change the price match policy, or hope that price matching is too much of a hassle for most customers to use (apparantly they dont realize just how cheap we really are)

Best Buy does this every Christmas season. The fact is that people will pay the higher price because little Johnny has the game on his Christmas list and they don't feel like running all around town to save $2 (assuming that the parents even know what standard game pricing is and don't think that its just normally that price.) The fact is that it works, and they sell out of just about everything every year.

Don't worry: the prices will be back to normal in January. Its just the standard holiday gougefest.

Yeah I thought it was weird that GR2 was $52.00, so did the store clerk. But I can always bring it back and adjust the price within 30 days.

And it's weird, the BB.com price shows $49.99, or at least it did last week. You could always print that page or just do an in-store pickup at that price.

Jeremy

um... why would he knowingly get ripped off? the prices of these games are $2-3 above retail price! he can just go across the street and get it cheaper. CAG = cheapassgamer

this is one of the most useless thread craps i've seen. :roll:

Some companies actually have a remote pricing system, if you are in an outlaying area with little competition, they tack on a few bucks....just a thought

I tend to not go into Best Buy. They have not had a sale of interest to me in a long time and rarely find any good prices. And the people working there don't usually know what they are doing. ^_^;;;

When I need new CD's, I go to CC... when it comes to games, I go to EB... I go to Best Buy when I feel the need to be harassed and bothered by loss prevention and asked about a goddamn subscription to a magazine I don't want.

[quote name='SeraphiMichael']I tend to not go into Best Buy. They have not had a sale of interest to me in a long time and rarely find any good prices. And the people working there don't usually know what they are doing. ^_^;;;[/quote]

I think their 'knowledge' is very superior to anything us regular folks can imagine.. after all, they'll install console games to your system... what kind of stupid stuff is that? Plus when your games section guy takes more than 20 minutes to explain to a customer that the only difference between a GBA and a GBA SP is the design of it, it's time to rethink things... I almost wanted to step in the conversation and tell the lady to just buy the damned SP...

[quote name='trustcompany1013']if their price is so high, and another store has it advertised at the regular $49.99 or lower, than that sweetens the price match plus 10% off deal....so they're not as smart as you think....unless they change the price match policy, or hope that price matching is too much of a hassle for most customers to use (apparantly they dont realize just how cheap we really are)[/quote]Because then you couldn't use the GGC to get $5 off. Instead, you would get $0.20 off of the regular $50 price. The $5 off GGC coupon can't be xombined with a PM unless you get a stupid employee to ring you up.

It sucks if they really do this every year. I guess I know where I won't be shopping during the holidays...

I think the deal with blockbuster is like the way movies charge 4 bucks for a box of candy, if your really want it you'll pay it if not you won't. I think the same applies to BB. I don't know, that just my thoughts on it.

The flame attempt with the 2 dollars, apreantly you haven't grasped the concept of being a cheap ass gamer. We want to squeeze the ever living fucking out every dollar we have, so 2 dollars is insane.

[quote name='sisco1986']I think the deal with blockbuster is like the way movies charge 4 bucks for a box of candy, if your really want it you'll pay it if not you won't. I think the same applies to BB. I don't know, that just my thoughts on it.[/quote]

..that's why God invented cargo pants... just run to Walgreens and get some Movie size candies for a dollar or less...

You're obviously on the wrong site.

Around here we're all Devil customers. :twisted:

[quote name='Fatesealer'][quote name='sisco1986']I think the deal with blockbuster is like the way movies charge 4 bucks for a box of candy, if your really want it you'll pay it if not you won't. I think the same applies to BB. I don't know, that just my thoughts on it.[/quote]

..that's why God invented cargo pants... just run to Walgreens and get some Movie size candies for a dollar or less...[/quote]

Trench Coats work best. Although it's kind of awkward in the summer.

[quote name='Trakan'][quote name='ItsTrueItsTrue92']OMG it's an extra two dollars! BB is crazy!

You're obviously on the wrong site.

Around here we're all Devil customers. :twisted:[/quote]

Yup and two dollars after a while adds up. You must not be a true CAG to have said that statement ItsTrueitsTrue92. Do you feel like giving 2 extra dollars to whatever companies puts it on. Well than I'm selling all kinds of stuff and would love to mark them up higher if you willing to pay :twisted: .

bread's done
Back