BB Reward Zone for Gamers: Any game $20

kev

CAGiversary!
I just got a CD thing yesterday from Best Buy saying they are offering a new "expansion pak" to their Reward Zone program. It's still $9.99 but you can add this on to get:

-Some random newsletter with reviews/cheat/etc.
-$50 in coupons
-Any game for $19.99 during the month of your birthday

I've never been interested in the RZ but shoot, now I am. I just wish I had a November birthday... October is plenty fine but you lucky November dudes get all the love. You have to sign up for it in-store and then go to www.myrewardzone.com to add the expansion pak (which seems to cost nothing...)

The CD also has coupons for $10 off Half-life 2, Doom 3 and a couple other big PC titles.

FYI, I couldn't decide where it was most appropriate to post this... It's a game deal to me so I put it here...

Just logged into my Reward Zone -nothing about an "Expansion Pak" yet, but it could be that their webmaster(s) haven't caught up with their direct-mail marketing (which may I say is a dumbass move).

[quote name='Blustrk98']Just logged into my Reward Zone -nothing about an "Expansion Pak" yet, but it could be that their webmaster(s) haven't caught up with their direct-mail marketing (which may I say is a dumbass move).[/quote]

Same here, and I haven't gotten the direct mailer yet.

It may be, I looked over the CD again and it specifically says "sign up in your Riverside, San Bernardino or Rancho Cucamonga stores". Those are the three nearest me. It's rather odd though that they'd do it that way... It could be just a pilot thing.

Someone asked for scans/screens, I'll try to do that today. I don't have any webhosting though so if someone can PM me I'll happily send it to them. That, or I'll find some :)

[quote name='kev']
Someone asked for scans/screens, I'll try to do that today. I don't have any webhosting though so if someone can PM me I'll happily send it to them. That, or I'll find some :)[/quote]

Can't you just upload it on the CAG picture uploader thing?

Anyone confirm or find out any more on this? Maybe someone who's an RZ member could e-mail the customer service at myrewardzone.com and ask? I'd certainly sign up (despite my general dislike of BB) for a $20 in April (Jade Empire or UC2?)....

[quote name='kev']

It may be, I looked over the CD again and it specifically says "sign up in your Riverside, San Bernardino or Rancho Cucamonga stores". Those are the three nearest me. It's rather odd though that they'd do it that way... It could be just a pilot thing.

Someone asked for scans/screens, I'll try to do that today. I don't have any webhosting though so if someone can PM me I'll happily send it to them. That, or I'll find some :)[/quote]

Printing the locations of the BB stores nearest you on the mailer is a direct-marketing tactic, nothing more. They know where you live (obviously) and adding the local stores is simply a nice touch (and doesn't cost them extra). When I get mine (and I better -you hear me BB?!?!?!) I expect it to list the 3 closest BB stores to where I live.

This would be quite the awesome deal! Nothing has come to me in the mail or has shown up anywhere when I log into the site, but here's to hoping! ^_^

[quote name='WilliamG']This is clearly (to my eyes) a regional thing.[/quote]

If so, that is a total d1ck thing to do man!
Maybe I'll send an email to the myrewards people and see wa'sup.

If this is true, what prevents me from signing up 5 Rewards Zone Card...a $10 payout towards getting a $49.99 game, that's a savings of $40. Praise all ye BB devils.

Still waiting on a confirmation.

I think more likely than the offer being regional is that the offer is being tested out in specific markets before BB brings it nationwide.

Got this email from them the other day in regards to this offer:

Thank you for your reply.

I apologize for any confusion regarding your email. Since you mentioned that you heard about the offer, I assumed you received a coupon in the mail for this offer as you did not mention where you'd heard about it. If you are eligible for this offer you will receive something in the mail as your friend did, however I cannot promise that you will receive a mailing as they are not sent out from this department.

We look forward to your next visit to one of our stores or to www.BestBuy.com. Remember, when you place an order on BestBuy.com, please enter in your member number at the time of order to earn Reward Zone points. When you go to a Best Buy store, acknowledge yourself as a Reward Zone member and provide your Reward Zone card or home telephone to the cashier. Please don't hesitate to contact us with additional questions or concerns.

Best wishes from Best Buy,
Tasha and the Customer Care Team

So it looks like you need to have recieved the offer, then when you login to your Reward Zone account online you can then sign up for this. I guess it was only a select few or a test market thingy, dang.

I got a reward zone promo today, and it didn't mention anything about this. So its YMMV if it exists in the first place. Sorry to be a doubter, I haven't seen any scans or pics. Plus I am mad I wasn't one of the selected ones to test it. I seriously hope that someone really gets it and it works though.

[quote name='Nephilim']Got this email from them the other day in regards to this offer:

I apologize for any confusion regarding your email. Since you mentioned that you heard about the offer, I assumed you received a coupon in the mail for this offer as you did not mention where you'd heard about it. If you are eligible for this offer you will receive something in the mail as your friend did, however I cannot promise that you will receive a mailing as they are not sent out from this department.

We look forward to your next visit to one of our stores or to www.BestBuy.com. Remember, when you place an order on BestBuy.com, please enter in your member number at the time of order to earn Reward Zone points. When you go to a Best Buy store, acknowledge yourself as a Reward Zone member and provide your Reward Zone card or home telephone to the cashier. Please don't hesitate to contact us with additional questions or concerns.

So it looks like you need to have recieved the offer, then when you login to your Reward Zone account online you can then sign up for this. I guess it was only a select few or a test market thingy, dang.[/quote]

Translation: you got no offers because you are a Devil Customer! :evil:

[quote name='dwsscs']I got a reward zone promo today, and it didn't mention anything about this. So its YMMV if it exists in the first place. Sorry to be a doubter, I haven't seen any scans or pics. Plus I am mad I wasn't one of the selected ones to test it. I seriously hope that someone really gets it and it works though.[/quote]

As I said, I have screen shots if you want me to email to you. I'm planning on trying to sign up on Saturday this week and i'll let you know how it goes.

Also, I found out I actually got two of these sent to my house, my lil brother got one too.

[quote name='cheapass Gundam'][quote name='Nephilim']Got this email from them the other day in regards to this offer:

So it looks like you need to have recieved the offer, then when you login to your Reward Zone account online you can then sign up for this. I guess it was only a select few or a test market thingy, dang.[/quote]

Translation: you got no offers because you are a Devil Customer! :evil:[/quote]

Heh, that would explain my avatar.

What does everyone mean by being a "Devil Customer"? I've heard this mentioned a few times, but have yet to uncover the source...

[quote name='Blind the Thief']What does everyone mean by being a "Devil Customer"? I've heard this mentioned a few times, but have yet to uncover the source...[/quote]

The term "devil customers" is what Best Buy uses to refer to people who go into their stores looking to get the best possible deal for their money. If you've ever gone in and bought one of their items that was advertised in their sales ad as having a big rebate without buying other crap while you were there, and you actually sent in the rebate form...you are a devil customer. Basically, they consider anyone who doesn't buy more than they want, and/or buy the product service plan to be devil customers. :twisted:

[quote name='Blind the Thief']What does everyone mean by being a "Devil Customer"? I've heard this mentioned a few times, but have yet to uncover the source...[/quote]

BEst Buy calls customers who only go to Best Buy to get bargains as "Devil Customers."

For example, if you went to Best Buy during Thanksgiving to buy 24 Season 1 for $13 and didn't walk out with that big screen TV to go along with it, you're labeled a "Devil Customer."

read more

[quote name='darkwingduck13'][quote name='Admiral Ackbar']Hmmm. It costs $10 to join. That means you'd have to spend $300 bucks a year at Best Buy to get your money back in gift certifcates. But if you could get any one game for $20 and say, save ten bucks on a opurchase you may save $40 bucks right there. That would make the sign up fee well worth it.[/quote]

You can actually make a lot more than that back if you have relatives or friends who shop at Best Buy. The way I work it is if I know someone who is planning to make a decent-sized purchase, I offer to go help them pick out what they need. It's usually computer-related, and so they were going to ask me to help anyway. Then, when they check out, I just have 'em scan my card. I spent the $10 to sign up for Reward Zone, and so far I've gotten like $70+ back from it. I didn't even sign up until this past November or so, so I've got a lot more devilish business to conduct before my membership runs out! :lol:[/quote]

Wow that sucks for your friend / relative. They could have paid the $10 and got $40 or more back.

I was a RZ member, but it expired. I won't pay 10 bucks to renew, esp now that they've upped the points before payout, without something special like this.
Those of you who got this ad: is there an additional charge for the Gamer Pak [I hate that word]? Odds are, like someone said,it's a test/beta/pilot, to see how much money they lose before cancelling the program.

i don't live near a BB and they always have shitty stuff there and overzealous customer service staff.. and did i mention the check out isle sucks?

Rob

i have to agree that for the best buy stores i've gone to, the check out lines do suck, and then the customer service line is even worse.

[quote name='Indiana'][quote name='darkwingduck13'][quote name='Admiral Ackbar']Hmmm. It costs $10 to join. That means you'd have to spend $300 bucks a year at Best Buy to get your money back in gift certifcates. But if you could get any one game for $20 and say, save ten bucks on a opurchase you may save $40 bucks right there. That would make the sign up fee well worth it.[/quote]

You can actually make a lot more than that back if you have relatives or friends who shop at Best Buy. The way I work it is if I know someone who is planning to make a decent-sized purchase, I offer to go help them pick out what they need. It's usually computer-related, and so they were going to ask me to help anyway. Then, when they check out, I just have 'em scan my card. I spent the $10 to sign up for Reward Zone, and so far I've gotten like $70+ back from it. I didn't even sign up until this past November or so, so I've got a lot more devilish business to conduct before my membership runs out! :lol:[/quote]

Wow that sucks for your friend / relative. They could have paid the $10 and got $40 or more back.[/quote]

I don't think it sucks for my friends/relatives, considering that they get free tech-support and help picking out the products they need without the bullshit from the Best Buy employees.

[quote name='lurknomore']If this is true, what prevents me from signing up 5 Rewards Zone Card...a $10 payout towards getting a $49.99 game, that's a savings of $40. Praise all ye BB devils.

Still waiting on a confirmation.[/quote]

First, the game is still $20, so you save $20. You'll need five phone numbers too. :p

I just thought... why hasn't anyone bothered to call the RZ CS and ask?

[quote name='Romeo'][quote name='lurknomore']If this is true, what prevents me from signing up 5 Rewards Zone Card...a $10 payout towards getting a $49.99 game, that's a savings of $40. Praise all ye BB devils.

First, the game is still $20, so you save $20. You'll need five phone numbers too. :p

I just thought... why hasn't anyone bothered to call the RZ CS and ask?[/quote]

Do you mean give out 5 phone numbers of friends/relatives?

If so that sucks! Its not worth the savings of $20-30 vs. giving BB names of people to hassle, research, market to, bother. I for one won't pimp out my friends in these circumstances.

I can't find this BONUS PAK either which makes me even MORE pissed off at Best Buy.

My Reward Zone membership expired last November and as I was buying some x-mas presents 2 weeks before the expiration, the cashier says:

"Would you like to renew your membership for $14.95?"

"I'm not sure I want to," I said

"Well, you can renew for 2 years for $25," she added

Dumbass that I am, I said yes and renewed for 2 years thinking I was saving $5. I had even forgotton that I only paid $10 for my fist membership. Then to top it all off, I get a letter in the mail 2 weeks later saying they want to give me a 1 year extention on my membership for free. Great, I thought, I just forked over $25 bucks for nothing!

So, I call BB Reward Zone customer service and they say they can't give me an additional 1 year membership becuase I've already renewed for 2 years and the computer won't putr a membership expiration that far in advance. Now I come to find out that they've lowered the membership back down to $10 and I'm screwed again.

HEX on Best Buy ! They deserve all the devil customers they get and more !

[quote name='dwsscs'][quote name='Romeo'][quote name='lurknomore']If this is true, what prevents me from signing up 5 Rewards Zone Card...a $10 payout towards getting a $49.99 game, that's a savings of $40. Praise all ye BB devils.

I just thought... why hasn't anyone bothered to call the RZ CS and ask?[/quote]

Do you mean give out 5 phone numbers of friends/relatives?

If so that sucks! Its not worth the savings of $20-30 vs. giving BB names of people to hassle, research, market to, bother. I for one won't pimp out my friends in these circumstances.[/quote]

no, you don't have to give out five phone numbers. the first guy said that he would get 5 reward zone cards which would require 5 different phone numbers. one phone number for each account. so, the second guy said that he would need 5 phone numbers to sign up for five cards. :D

I signed up for the Reward Zone Gamer Expansion pack a month or so ago and received my coupon booklet in the mail the other day. I had to read the second page three times to make sure I was reading the page properly:

You're Family - Watch for a birthday card in the mail.

$19.99 off a game.
Get a FREE classic game for Xbox, Playstation 2, Gamecube, or your PC. Watch for a card from Best Buy during your birthday month.

The booklet also has the following 8 coupons:
$5 off Xbox title $39.99 and up
$5 off Xbox Platnum Hits title $19.99 and up
$5 off Playstation 2 title $39.99 and up
$5 off PS2 Greatest Hits title $19.99 and up
$5 off PSP software or movie title $19.99 and up
$5 off any video game accessory $24.99 and up
$5 off any PC game
$20 off a purchase of any PC game $29.99 and up along with any graphics card $99.99 and up

Not bad for free, eh?

If those coupons aren't one time use you have to soooo scan them and host them just to screw BB.

DOn't mind me, I'm just jealous. I would like one of those expansion offers too.

[quote name='Admiral Ackbar']If those coupons aren't one time use you have to soooo scan them and host them just to screw BB.

DOn't mind me, I'm just jealous. I would like one of those expansion offers too.[/QUOTE]

Screw BB? I am in the minority on this one - I don't think I've ever run into any major problems with them and I do, in my estimation, fall into their EEEEVIL Customer category. Well, maybe not quite EEEEVIL, but incredibly mischievous.

That said, do you think that scans of these coupons would be taken? I can't imagine that they made separate UPCs for each Expansion Pack Member. If we can confirm this, I'll scan them in.

[quote name='yeah-yeah']Screw BB? I am in the minority on this one - I don't think I've ever run into any major problems with them and I do, in my estimation, fall into their EEEEVIL Customer category. Well, maybe not quite EEEEVIL, but incredibly mischievous.

That said, do you think that scans of these coupons would be taken? I can't imagine that they made separate UPCs for each Expansion Pack Member. If we can confirm this, I'll scan them in.[/QUOTE]

The only ones worth scanning are the Xbox ones, PC ones, and Accessory ones.

The ps2 / psp coupon already out covers the rest.

Edit: Actually the PSP one also, for the UMD's.

[quote name='yeah-yeah']Free game can be a GC game though, so all is not lost.[/QUOTE]

I'm more or less looking for DS / GBA stuff, which always gets the short end of the stick with Best Buy.

They went from having these awesome release week sales on GBA games (24.99 on most stuff) to not even putting the games in the ad anymore.

[quote name='soxfan4525']the any game in the month of your birthday for $20 sounds awesome.[/QUOTE]

Growslander generations deluxe?

Steel Battalion? should raise a few BB eyebrows.

how is this working??? my b-day is next month and i would like to get in on some games if there are all going to be 20 bucks. (i.e. killer 7, fantastic 4, atelier iris, makai kingdom, ncaa 06, delta force, pirates) has anyone got this to work???

It looks like you get 19.99 OFF a game or a 19.99 game for free not any game for 19.99(based off what yeah-yeah said) It looks like it still could be worth it..

[quote name='dios']Growslander generations deluxe?

Steel Battalion? should raise a few BB eyebrows.[/QUOTE]

The birthday "gift" is a coupon for a free 20 dollar game, not "any game for 20 dollars".

[quote name='rafissaying']how is this working??? my b-day is next month and i would like to get in on some games if there are all going to be 20 bucks. (i.e. killer 7, fantastic 4, atelier iris, makai kingdom, ncaa 06, delta force, pirates) has anyone got this to work???[/QUOTE]

If you have the reward zone and you sign up for the gamer expansion pack, according to BB you'll get a birthday card in the mail during your birth month with the coupon. My birthday isn't until November, so you'll have to wait until then to get more info from me. Sowwwwy.

[quote name='bmulligan']I can't find this BONUS PAK either which makes me even MORE pissed off at Best Buy.

My Reward Zone membership expired last November and as I was buying some x-mas presents 2 weeks before the expiration, the cashier says:

"Would you like to renew your membership for $14.95?"

"I'm not sure I want to," I said

"Well, you can renew for 2 years for $25," she added

Dumbass that I am, I said yes and renewed for 2 years thinking I was saving $5. I had even forgotton that I only paid $10 for my fist membership. Then to top it all off, I get a letter in the mail 2 weeks later saying they want to give me a 1 year extention on my membership for free. Great, I thought, I just forked over $25 bucks for nothing!

So, I call BB Reward Zone customer service and they say they can't give me an additional 1 year membership becuase I've already renewed for 2 years and the computer won't putr a membership expiration that far in advance. Now I come to find out that they've lowered the membership back down to $10 and I'm screwed again.

HEX on Best Buy ! They deserve all the devil customers they get and more ![/QUOTE]

I got my first RZ card in the mail for free the month the program began . . . the next year I got the $10 I paid to extend via a $10 RZ certificate.

This past year they just sent me a letter extending the card for another year at no charge.

The number one rule is to wait for them to offer you something.

I paid for my first RZ membership, because I was planning to buy a lot of Christmas presents. Made my money back and then some that year.
Wasn't going to pay again because they don't have the best prices, and the ~4% rebate is not worth paying 10% more.
Found a "Free Membership" coupon, so for free, why not.
Anyway, I have also heard about this 'Gamer Zone' thing from another source. Emailed support, their response implied that they either didn't read my email, or had no idea what I was talking about.
What I had heard was "Free Greatest Hits [I assume PH/PC as well] game via a coupon in your birthday month."
It's quite possible this is a 'pilot' project that is only in certain communities to certain customers, and there's nothing at all wrong with that.
It's also quite possible to create single-use-only coupons, via a unique UPC code or linking it to the RZ membership, and i would expect BB to do that.
Getting deals is one thing, but actively trying to abuse a company's policies is another. I've had no major problems with BB, and while I try to get the best deal while using their policies [like the price-match plus 10%], I remain honest as well.

[quote name='schultzed']I got my first RZ card in the mail for free the month the program began . . . the next year I got the $10 I paid to extend via a $10 RZ certificate.

This past year they just sent me a letter extending the card for another year at no charge.

The number one rule is to wait for them to offer you something.[/QUOTE]

Exactly, they gave me my first year free, then I let mine expire last year in which a week later they renewed me for free via the same "spend $10 to renew, get a $10 RZ cert" and then a month ago they renewed me again for another year and I was still 2 mo away from expiring. Yet I use my RZ for everything, even when I go just for penny guides. So they know that I am 100% a "devil customer" yet they still want my business. Fine by me I guess.

[quote name='atomsk']Wait, i wanna be clear. There is no "get any game for 20" coupon? you just get a free GH game?[/QUOTE]

That's right, though I'd hardly say you "just" get a free GH game - it's a great deal, considering it is free.

Again, I saw the link for the gamer's expansion pack on the reward zone website. If you're curious, you could call the 800 number and ask them if the expansion pack is a pilot program or open to everybody.

yeah-yeah: Where are you located? Are you in CA, where it appears they test a lot of their programs?
And even if you're not [this part goes to everybody], it's possible BB only 'allows' certain RZ members to try it out, as part of a nationwide pilot before full rollout. Hence why most of us can't see it.

bread's done
Back