bbv entertainment pack = cheap month of blockbuster gamepass

cm matty

CAGiversary!
i checked the forum and didn't see this anywhere, so i figured i'd post it.

anyways, i was recently given one of blockbuster's 2008/2009 entertainment packs. it's basically a coupon book that is in a dvd case. they sell them at the front counter of bbv for $20.

inside are a bunch of coupons (expiring at different times). one such coupon is for 1 free month of game pass (regular $30). the only catch is that you have to sign up w/ your credit card and if you forget to cancel, they'll charge you for a 2nd month. if you can remember to cancel (and my store actually said they'd set it up to cancel on a certain date if i just wanted one month) that's $10 off. the coupon for gamepass expires on January 31st.

other coupons include: free popcorn, a bunch of free rentals (both older and new releases), a bunch of buy 1 get 1 rentals, and some $2 off pv movie coupons.

you also get a free blockbuster rewards coupon (you get a bunch of $2 off rental coupons - one for each month, as well as a bunch of $1 off pv movies coupons).

decent deal, and $20 for gamepass is working out for me so far.

Thanks for the post. I've got said pack and I didn't realize the pass expired so soon. Good to know. I'd been planning to wait to use the subscription, but I guess I'll sign up at the end of the month.

Frankly, at $30 a month, I think game pass is an awful deal (unless you're renting 6 games a month -- to me it seems much more cost-effective to rent a game and then abuse their "no late fees") but I get the Entertainment Pack every year for my wife at Christmas... and I'm not going to say no to a free month of it.

(The entertainment pack on the other hand is a good deal if you rent movies -- it pays for itself because rentals are so pricey these days... hope they don't give any grief about Blu-rays).

[quote name='SickBoy']Frankly, at $30 a month, I think game pass is an awful deal (unless you're renting 6 games a month -- to me it seems much more cost-effective to rent a game and then abuse their "no late fees") but I get the Entertainment Pack every year for my wife at Christmas... and I'm not going to say no to a free month of it.[/quote]

You're right, abusing the no late fees does work out much better. I work at a Blockbuster and I actually encourage people to keep the games as long as they can. You have 37 days from renting the game to return it before the full price is charged on your account, so if you already have a $1.98 restocking fee on your account (from keeping it a week past the due date), you might as well get your money's worth. $13.27 for one 37 day rental is a pretty good deal if you're going to be playing the game a lot.

It does make sense to get the game pass if literally all you do is play video games, but if you're only renting like 2 games per month, it's not worth it at all for $30.

But yeah, the entertainment pack is a good deal right now at $20, especially for the month of game pass and free rewards membership (don't forget about the rent 5 get 1 free thing for that, which can be used for game rentals). HOWEVER, make sure you cancel the game pass after the month is up if you don't want to keep it, otherwise Blockbuster will charge your credit card every month.

I actually used my coupon earlier in December, Game Pass makes no sense from my standpoint as I don't play a great amount of games but it's basically a free game rental as long as you cancel.

May I recommend Mirror's Edge as a good game for this? It's a good game but can be beaten in 4-6 hours so it's a good game to use this on, then just trade it in for a different game (I got Red Alert 3).

i signed up yesterday and rented avatar for 360. it's not a game i'd ever pay to rent for a week, but i used the gamepass thing and got a free 1000 gamerpoints basically. took it back today and rented mk vs dc. i've got a big backlog of games from november (360 was in for repair for 2 months...sigh), but i figure this way i can try a bunch of the newer titles that i didn't buy, or older stuff i've wanted to play.

[quote name='DMPugh']You're right, abusing the no late fees does work out much better. I work at a Blockbuster and I actually encourage people to keep the games as long as they can. You have 37 days from renting the game to return it before the full price is charged on your account, so if you already have a $1.98 restocking fee on your account (from keeping it a week past the due date), you might as well get your money's worth. $13.27 for one 37 day rental is a pretty good deal if you're going to be playing the game a lot.

It does make sense to get the game pass if literally all you do is play video games, but if you're only renting like 2 games per month, it's not worth it at all for $30.

But yeah, the entertainment pack is a good deal right now at $20, especially for the month of game pass and free rewards membership (don't forget about the rent 5 get 1 free thing for that, which can be used for game rentals). HOWEVER, make sure you cancel the game pass after the month is up if you don't want to keep it, otherwise Blockbuster will charge your credit card every month.[/quote]

I'm kinda pissed right now, all they said when I used the free trial was that they would charge the $29.99 on my "card" if I didn't cancel by the end of the trial, I went in on the 6th and said I wanted to cancel, didn't see the $29.99 credit on my account so I canceled, I just checked my online banking and it shows a charge from BBV on the 4th. The guy at BBV said that it would be a charge on my account, as in my "BBV card" not my credit card or else I wouldn't have even signed up for the free trial. I had given them my credit card to pay the $19.99 for the entertainment pack, not to set it up to pay the monthly pass. Do you think that there is anyway to get my $29.99+tax back? Even when I was in the store canceling the gamers pass you would think they would mention that I had already paid for another month so now I've thrown away the $30 as my gamer's pass is canceled now and I can't even rent games now.

[quote name='greywolf501']I'm kinda pissed right now, all they said when I used the free trial was that they would charge the $29.99 on my "card" if I didn't cancel by the end of the trial, I went in on the 6th and said I wanted to cancel, didn't see the $29.99 credit on my account so I canceled, I just checked my online banking and it shows a charge from BBV on the 4th. The guy at BBV said that it would be a charge on my account, as in my "BBV card" not my credit card or else I wouldn't have even signed up for the free trial. I had given them my credit card to pay the $19.99 for the entertainment pack, not to set it up to pay the monthly pass. Do you think that there is anyway to get my $29.99+tax back? Even when I was in the store canceling the gamers pass you would think they would mention that I had already paid for another month so now I've thrown away the $30 as my gamer's pass is canceled now and I can't even rent games now.[/quote]

it might be worth going in and trying to argue, but you might be out of luck.

which bbv in ktown was it? i lived there up until last may for school (whoo 7 years of school!). my buddy worked at the one on princess and clergy...he had some stories about that place. i've been in there a bunch...not a well-run bbv by any means.

[quote name='cm matty']it might be worth going in and trying to argue, but you might be out of luck.

which bbv in ktown was it? i lived there up until last may for school (whoo 7 years of school!). my buddy worked at the one on princess and clergy...he had some stories about that place. i've been in there a bunch...not a well-run bbv by any means.[/quote]
That was the one I was at, they got a new manager this year to help clean the place up and it is a bit better now.

That one does seem better now, they used to leave the promo signs up long after they were over, and game prices would sit there for months without the price updated. The new guy does seem brighter then the others.

I'd ask them to refund that, at a minimum they'd have to let you use the month you'd paid for, but I'd bet you could get it refunded

[quote name='cm matty']it might be worth going in and trying to argue, but you might be out of luck.[/quote]
Out of luck, hell no. The charge wasn't authorized. Don't even bother going in, just phone up your credit card company and have the charge removed.

Just go in and tell them you want the credit on your account refunded back onto your credit card. I think a manager has to do it but it shouldn't be a problem. We do it all the time for autosales on people's accounts. Sometimes people opt to have the credit stay on their account but for the most part they just ask to have it do back on their card. Should be the same deal here.

If the manager denies you, tell him you want the number for head office and to deal with it through them, and make sure you get the manager's name and the store number. Again, shouldn't be any problems but if the manager decides to act like a dick, don't let him/her push you around.

[quote name='ragnar14']Out of luck, hell no. The charge wasn't authorized. Don't even bother going in, just phone up your credit card company and have the charge removed.[/quote]

I'm not entirely sure about this because I've honestly never set up a game pass account (not many hardcore gamers in my area), but I believe they'd have you sign a document stating the conditions of the game pass deal. I'm sure it's in there somewhere.

[quote name='DMPugh']I'm not entirely sure about this because I've honestly never set up a game pass account (not many hardcore gamers in my area), but I believe they'd have you sign a document stating the conditions of the game pass deal. I'm sure it's in there somewhere.[/QUOTE]

They didn't make me sign anything when I redeemed the coupon.

This pack was a great Christmas present for more than one person on my list. The GamePass thing is a nice bonus, from what they've told me, but they have no intention of continuing it past the trial.

As for me, with a fiancée that runs a store, I can't even remember the last time I paid for a rental, haha.

[quote name='Corizzle']I actually used my coupon earlier in December, Game Pass makes no sense from my standpoint as I don't play a great amount of games but it's basically a free game rental as long as you cancel.

May I recommend Mirror's Edge as a good game for this? It's a good game but can be beaten in 4-6 hours so it's a good game to use this on, then just trade it in for a different game (I got Red Alert 3).[/quote]

Yeah, it's one of the games I'm looking at. That and Prince of Persia.

I rented CSI because I use to watch the show a lot, but the game is frustrating, slow, mono-tone characters, retarded plots. Will be taking this back tonight and getting something else.

Definitly canceling as I usually buy games I'm interested in, not rent

bread's done
Back