BBY - Epic Gaming Package

Ghaleon

CAGiversary!
Feedback
6 (100%)
Just found this on the BBY Unlocked Forums, could be a deal MAYBE for some folks, not for me personally.

Hello, gamers! You may have heard about the Unlocked Epic Gaming Package that Best Buy will be begin to offer soon and we wanted to make sure we supplied you with the details ahead of time. This package will be available beginning 11/15 with the launch of the PlayStation 4, so check out the information below to make sure you're ready!

Q: I heard something about an Unlocked Epic Gaming Package at Best Buy. Can you tell me what it is?

A: For customers like yourself buying a new console, we’ve created a package that can help you save some dough, and save money on new video games in the future. Here's what's included in the package:

• New console (PlayStation 4 or Xbox One)
  • Extra controller (PlayStation 4 or Xbox One)
  • Two new video games of your choice for that console (PlayStation 4 or Xbox One)
  • Two years of Geek Squad Protection for your console
  • Two years of PlayStation Network or Xbox LIVE Subscriptions
  • My Best Buy Gamers Club Unlocked 2-year membership
Q: What's so great about the Unlocked Epic Gaming Package?

A: The items included in this package are essential for your new console and you're probably planning on buying them anyway. By purchasing them all at once, you save money right away on your games and your Unlocked membership. And, for the next two years, you will get 20% off new video games along with the other benefits of an Unlocked membership at more than 50% savings. As an example, for every $60 game you buy, you save $12. If you buy 5 games at that price after buying the package, the membership has paid for itself!  You get it...it adds up fast,and is a benefit exclusive to My Best Buy Gamers Club Unlocked members.

Q: Can I get the package with either console?

A: Yes, we have options for both consoles for you to choose from.

Q: How much are the Unlocked Epic Gaming Packages?

A: They range from $800 for PlayStation 4 to $880 for Xbox One. The Unlocked Epic Gaming Package will be available starting 11/15 at our midnight openings for PlayStation 4. 

Q: Does Best Buy offer special financing for these Unlocked Epic Gaming Packages?

A: We know it's a lot of dough - we're here for you. Yes, we offer special financing on the My Best Buy Credit Card, but you do not need to finance your purchase to ge the package.

Q: If I buy more than 2 games with the Unlocked Epic Gaming Package, do I get the 20% off on all my new games?
A: Yes, you get 20% off all new video games. Please note that if you buy your Unlocked Epic Gaming Package at one of our over 900 midnight openings, you will need to buy everything on one transaction. Also, it can take a bit of time for your membership to be recognized in our systems, so please inlcude all of the games you want to play that night with your Unlocked Epic Gaming Package purchase.

Q: If I buy multiple memberships, can I get 40% off new games?

A: You can buy multiple memberships, but that simply extends your time in the club and does not provide any additional benefits.

Q: I don't see myself as much of a gamer. Would this package benefit me?

A: Yes. Even if you play games less frequently and only plan on buying 5 more games in 2 years (after you buy the package), you benefit from this with all of the other benefits of My Best Buy Gamers Club Unlocked.

For more information on the enhanced My Best Buy Gamers Club Unlocked program, please follow the link below.

My Best Buy Gamers Club Unlocked Enhancements

Source: http://forums.bestbuy.com/t5/My-Best-Buy-Gamers-Club/Introducing-the-Unlocked-Epic-Gaming-Package/td-p/723503

Last edited by a moderator:
Bad deal, however if you can get in on that $30 renewal that would be a good deal.

The 2 year warranty is lame, your console won't break in 2 years, it will break in 3-4 years or more (or 2.5 years), and no company seems to warranty an item for more than 3 years no matter where you go. So that won't help you out if your console breaks. There might be a handful of people who make use of a 2 year warranty, but overall the masses won't need it. It might be a good idea if you are a heavy smoker or if you have pets since those things can damage electronics prematurely.

If these console makers are making consoles that are designed to break in 2 years then they have lost my business, especially when the box sits in my open air TV stand and isn't touched by anyone but me. I don't smoke, and I don't have pets or kids, so there are no pets to chew the cord, no fur getting in the system, no kids to put things into the console that shouldn't be going there, and nothing is getting in there because I don't smoke and neither does anyone in my household.

This package is for the uninformed consumer (the parent getting the system for a kid, some rich person, and then just plain dumb person).  I mean if you are picking up some games, a controller, and ps plus, then they might be able to sway you.  But if you do your homework you know you can get everything in this bundle way cheaper then what they are charging.

$400 for the system, $120 for three games at target, $50 for a controller, $60 for two years of PS Plus.

you take out the uneeded geek squad, and GCU unless you do the $30 for two years and it is way better...

I mean breaking it down like this I see BB is really only discounting the geek squad protection almost to cost.  you still pay msrp on all the other items.... it is just a scam to get you to buy geek squad which is almost full profit to them! haha

Some folks seem to think this means you're allowed to preorder a console with this. As of now it just means when you go buy it theyre going to try to push this on you.

Not going to argue about whether this is a deal or not, but I'm just going to calculate this based on MSRP.

PS4 ($400) + Controller ($60) + 2 Games ($120) + 2 PS+ ($100) + 2 years of GCU ($120) = $800

So basically you would be getting the Geek Squad Accidental damage protection for free, if you were to buy these at retail price.

they are basically trying to take advantage of people who did not pre-ordered earlier and will pay anything to get a ps4 or Xbox one. I think this is the only way of explaining why someone would buy this
Not really. As long as BBY doesn't go under in the next 2 years, this can be a very very good deal for most people that buy a lot of video games. 20% off each new video game really adds up quite a bit. All you have to do is do the math. This deal isn't the greatest for CAGs though and probably for the majority of gamers, but I know quite a few people that buy 10+ full price games a year along with many more discounted ones. It would be a good deal for them over time.

I wonder if they're going to try to limit your 20% off eventually though.

Edit - Whoa. Never mind. I guess GCU now has 20% off new games so this deal sucks.

Someone forgot to add in the fact that Target has buy 2 games get one free.  The only people buying this terrible package is people who can't find a console at other locations and it's pay $900 on ebay or $900 for more stuff at Best Buy.  I'm sure these will all sell out.  I remember even 1 year after the Xbox 360 was out BB was still bundling them for the holidays with other stuff.

Wonder if they will have a deal on this for BF... probably would piss a lot of people off that pick it up at launch, I doubt it will happen.

The fact that it is named the "Epic Gaming Package!" just shows you just how little Best Buy's marketing team knows about its targeted demographic.

The fact that it is named the "Epic Gaming Package!" just shows you just how little Best Buy's marketing team knows about its targeted demographic.
Some kid's grandma thinks all things "epic" must be good these days with how much the word this thrown all over the place.

bread's done
Back