Beatles: Rock Band new retail price 39.99

mva5580

CAGiversary!
I guess whether or not this is a "deal" is a matter of opinion, but I've noticed that both Best Buy and Gamestop are selling The Beatles: Rock Band new for $39.99. So that puts it used at Gamestop at $34.99.

Wow, that was kind of a fast drop. Isn't GH Metallica still a $60 retail game? That makes no sense given this news. I haven't seen NPD numbers recently but did Beatles RB not sell as well as expected? I kind of regret paying $100 for the full bundle (after ECA discount + 50% off coupon from Amazon trade-in program). At the time that seemed like an awesome deal, but when we got it we played it for 2 days and haven't touched it since :shock:. My son has kind of lost interest in GH/RB games entirely all of a sudden and I'm too busy playing other stuff. We haven't even touched the "free" GH Van Halen we got from the GH5 purchase (and we played GH5 once I think). But now I have even more instruments sitting around collecting dust - definitely wish I had waited for $40 (or $30) flat for just the game.

[quote name='savor100']This game is awesome, well worth at full price so this is great for those who don't own it yet[/QUOTE]
I feel like I should have bought this for PS3. I like this game, but *nobody* plays this on Live.

The music genre is so flooded because Activision releases a new game every other week. Also new songs are released at least on to the Rock Band platform every week. These games will continue to fall just as fast as long as they keep releasing them like this.

good news for those of us who casually buy into them. (i have bought 1 dlc song) , but I always pick up the discs when they plummet in price. would much rather pay 20 bucks for 40 songs.

thanks OP.

Yeah this looks like a universal drop. Interesting to note, it looks like Band Hero, GH5, and GH: Metallica have had universal drops recently too (BH and GH:M to 40 on 360/PS3, and GH5 to 50).

Personally, I paid 60 for the Beatles game, and don't regret it a bit. Get the downloadable songs, too. Its....its amazing.

Might just pick it for $30 at BB. Folks are big into the Beatles so seems like some good entertainment for the whole family. Thanks.

[quote name='io']Wow, that was kind of a fast drop. Isn't GH Metallica still a $60 retail game? That makes no sense given this news. I haven't seen NPD numbers recently but did Beatles RB not sell as well as expected? =[/QUOTE]

I don't think it did so hot. IIRC, it sold little over 1 mil on the Wii, a little under 1 mil on the 360 and a paltry half mil on PS3. So maybe 2.5 million total.

Joystiq posted last week that All You Need is Love generated $200k for charity, which is pretty good, but at $2 a pop that means only 10% of 360 Beatles owners bought it. :( Makes you wonder how well full album DLC sold. If a single song, for a mere $2 for charity, and one of their biggest, can't generate more than a 10% attach rate, then the full albums must have been dismal.

*of course this is all assuming my math is correct. :lol:

[quote name='Corvin']I don't think it did so hot. IIRC, it sold little over 1 mil on the Wii, a little under 1 mil on the 360 and a paltry half mil on PS3. So maybe 2.5 million total.

Joystiq posted last week that All You Need is Love generated $200k for charity, which is pretty good, but at $2 a pop that means only 10% of 360 Beatles owners bought it. :( Makes you wonder how well full album DLC sold. If a single song, for a mere $2 for charity, and one of their biggest, can't generate more than a 10% attach rate, then the full albums must have been dismal.

*of course this is all assuming my math is correct. :lol:[/QUOTE]

2.5 million units sold is pretty dang good. Assuming that # is near accurate. It's not like every game on the market sells like Call of Duty or Halo. The overwhelming majority of games sell far below a million units.

And Harmonix recently released a statement that there have been over a million downloads for Beatles: RocK Band, so that can't be that bad considering there have only been 3 albums and it's only been out since September.

I think it has more to do with not being able to export it into the RB series. If you want your Beatles fix then you have to play this on its own. Most of my friends didn't buy the game solely based on that.

I picked this up at launch because my girlfriend and I are big classic rock fans. While never really getting into The Beatles however, I have grown to appreciate and enjoy their history and music at a much greater level as a result of playing. This is the type of game that truly makes learning fun.

I highly recommend this game and the additional DLC albums.

[quote name='FantasyChronos']Can i have that coupon as well? ;)[/QUOTE]
Everyone can have that coupon - sign up for Best Buy Reward Zone if you don't already have it, then register on the site, log in, and join the Reward Zone Gamer's Club on the site, and then you have access to the coupons. It's all free.

I don't regard $39 as much of a price drop. $29 maybe.

What I am about to say, will likely sound stupid to some (nothing new there), but this is probably more about price positioning. Yes, it was not quite the seller they hoped it would be, but it still sold well. But (and this is the BIG but), it was priced way too high--a smart more given that people were buying Xmas presents and willing to pay a premium for a hot item, not so smart after the holidays.

The post holiday buying frenzy still marches on with high profile new releases scheduled thru to the end of March and beyond (all the stuff that was supposed to release for Xmas but got rescheduled). A realignment of the price will help extend its shelf life by incrementally increasing sales, encouraging distributors to restock the title, and ensuring shelf space that could otherwise be used by Guitar Hero titles.

I think the price drop is a smart move, but I view it more in line with Sony's old PS1 pricing model of "Special Value" games that were new releases, but subsidized and promoted by Sony at a $29 dollar price point.

I think this game was hurt by being over priced (I mean the bundle) and by being Beatles only. Yeah the Beatles are great, but it's still only one band. Interesting that it sold better on the Wii then other platforms - that makes you wonder why they gimped the Wii version of Lego Rock Band. That really pisses me off as I've got the Wii version of RB2 and the instruments aren't cross platform so I can't get the real version of LRB, which is something I really want because my kids would like it and I'd rather play the game with them. Also the genre is hurt by not having cross-platform instruments. That really ticks me off. I wouldn't be SOL on LRB if I could use my Wii instruments on our 360, but no. It's a pain to sell these things and I'm not going to also have a set of 360 instruments.

So in the end I haven't bought LRB and I'm not going to buy The Beatles Rock Band either. Give me cross platform instruments or I'm done.

[quote name='mva5580']2.5 million units sold is pretty dang good. Assuming that # is near accurate. It's not like every game on the market sells like Call of Duty or Halo. The overwhelming majority of games sell far below a million units.

And Harmonix recently released a statement that there have been over a million downloads for Beatles: RocK Band, so that can't be that bad considering there have only been 3 albums and it's only been out since September.[/QUOTE]

Looking up Guitar Hero sales, you would have to go all the way back to Guitar Hero: WT or Rock Band 2 to have a rhythm game that sold better than the Beatles. So I definitely stand corrected on that.

Okay, with that number (1 million in DLC), assuming each person bought ALL the DLC(29 tracks) you are looking at 34k people or roughly 1.5% (I think I did that right) of the user base.

Assuming that math is right, is it in a company's best interest to create DLC for 2% of their user base?

This post is open for correction. :)

Well, DLC doesn't require packaging, distribution, or shelf space. If your game has a way to promote DLC already built in, you don't need much marketing buget either.

And, if you use existing graphic assets, and some of your DLC files (music) were likely already made at the time of the original game publishing, 2% is all cake--pure profit directly to the publisher without any middlemen. Makes sense for the publisher to try and push as much DLC as they can, especially on projects for the music genre, especially games with a smaller or singular artist set, because it is easier to license a single artists catalog, and then pick and choose what you want to release, as opposed to negotiating rights with multiple muscians for individual tracks. I think this is why EA and MTV have been examining the evolution to more singular artist centric releases as opposed to the Guitar Hero ala carte model--its probably a lot easier to work out the licensing deal.

Yeah, the Wii version was way over priced, which I think is just too typical of publishers trying to milk as much money from the Wii as possible. Again, with a huge install base, low sales still makes you a shit ton of money.

bread's done
Back