Beatmania Bundle at Target for $39.99 B&M temp price drop til 7/10

Psykodelik

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
Went to Target today and saw that the Beatmania Bundle went for $39.99. It's even posted on their website. Not a bad price if you haven't picked it up yet.

EDIT: I don't know if this is a price drop. I think it's just on sale.

EDIT 2: Looking at the website version. I think that's just the game itself since it doesn't have "bundle" on it. So it might be B&M only.

EDIT 3: Just edited title with temp price drop thanks to Logical Dolphin. Lasts until 7/10.

So I bought this tonight at Target. It's hard as hell. Never played the game before...I guess I was spoiled by Guitar Hero because that game was fun and easy right out of the box...played through all the songs in easy mode on my first try.

Beatmania I did okay in the training but got my ass kicked even on the one star songs to the point where I didn't even want to play it anymore after a few tries. I guess they need a retard mode or something for people who have never played the game before. Dance Dance Revolution is kind of like this if you've never tried it before...but even that game has 2 or 3 songs even my grandma could dance to. Beatmania lacks a grandma song and my reflexes are the same as grandma's...slow.

[quote name='Zmonkay']Grabbed the last one from the local Target (Joliet IL).

Also, this price is not valid in store at TRU. I even had the print out from Amazon, saying it was from TRU. The manager checked the SKU of the one in store and the SKU on the online printout, and they were different, so she said she couldn't honor the price. She then said the online was probably game only. Sheesh, I even tried explaining to her that it you CAN'T buy it game only, but oh well, Target had it.[/quote]

Actually, you can buy it game only. Pretty the same problem I had, though amazon priced it 39.99 for the bundle (same price as stand alone).

I was refused to price hounour becuase of typos in the decription, not the mis price (or so they said). I sent them another email, and this time they said it was out of stock, while they clearing have it in. Their service is actually reallu messed up, I just love it when the mess up though (getting stuff for free and the like)

As for the game itself, I don't mean to insult anyone, but the game scoring system has already been dumbed down for the US release. Yopu porbably don't even want to touch a Japanese version.

[quote name='almasy82']Hey people do yourself a favor if you buy online with 10% coupon :) saves some money $83.40 shipped for two here.
oh yeah verified online price now :)[/QUOTE]
Instore it costs me $86.xx for two of these with tax. Only saves me $3 to order online.

I got one. I want to get another tomorrow to sell the game and break even on the controller.

Or perhaps sell it complete, that depends on how THIS beatmania matches up to the Japanese versions I've played so long ago

Going to have to pick this up seeing as I was considering it even before this pricedrop. Thanks for the deal OP.

On a side note, has anyone successfully used the controller as an MPC-like instrument on their PC? If I could do that, it would be oh so cool. I can hope.

Never mind it is a no go online game has been released as a stand alone game...$39.99 price is game only...I didn't know that it was released outside of package

Picked one up tonight at target. If I enjoy it I might try and pick another one up. Wonder if the game qualifys for the 2 for 1 at Rhino...

[quote name='slimpip']Going to have to pick this up seeing as I was considering it even before this pricedrop. Thanks for the deal OP.

On a side note, has anyone successfully used the controller as an MPC-like instrument on their PC? If I could do that, it would be oh so cool. I can hope.[/QUOTE]

IDK about that, but you can bet your cheap ass I'm gonna be using it with Stepmania's IIDX mode!

[quote name='Rictor']Beatmania I did okay in the training but got my ass kicked even on the one star songs to the point where I didn't even want to play it anymore after a few tries. I guess they need a retard mode or something for people who have never played the game before. Dance Dance Revolution is kind of like this if you've never tried it before...but even that game has 2 or 3 songs even my grandma could dance to. Beatmania lacks a grandma song and my reflexes are the same as grandma's...slow.[/QUOTE]

Are you saying you couldn't even pass that Reggae song in 5-key mode??? That's the biggest 'grandma' song in IIDX. If you can't pass that, I suggest returning the game and getting your money back.

Seriously though, just like any music/rythm game, Beatmania requires LOTS of practice. I've been playing it consistently since its release and I can't pass anything higher than 4-star songs. Just stick with it and you'll get better.

[quote name='norkusa']Are you saying you couldn't even pass that Reggae song in 5-key mode??? That's the biggest 'grandma' song in IIDX. If you can't pass that, I suggest returning the game and getting your money back.

Seriously though, just like any music/rythm game, Beatmania requires LOTS of practice. I've been playing it consistently since its release and I can't pass anything higher than 4-star songs. Just stick with it and you'll get better.[/quote]

I tried it once in 5-key mode and failed miserably. 7-key mode seems much easier to me for some reason.

The clerk at Target said that no copies of Beatmania were out because Guitar Hero was taking up all the shelf space. They had one in the back, and I took it home for a total of $27 after dusting off a Target giftcard I got for my birthda.y

Damn this is a good deal. I scored my first bundle in a Walmart pre-order, but that was like $50. I might pick up another bundle for 14-key play and then sell the beatmania game at GS.

ANSWERS TO QUESTIONS IN THIS THREAD:
You can easily use the beatmania controller on your PC. All you need is a converter, and a program called joy2key. I use my beatmania controller (just the four white keys) to play flash flash revolution.

Scoring: They didn't really screw up the scoring in this game. If you want to know what grade you would have received in the Japanese version, just subtract a letter grade. If you get an AA, that's an A in Japan. A is B, etc... If you get AAA, you actually have to look at your EX score to figure out whether its a true AAA or a Japanese AA.

As far as getting into this game, just concentrate on hitting the notes with as many perfects as you can. Passing a song isn't really that important when you are first learning...hitting notes is. Also, practice hitting a scratch and one of the first two keys at the same time with your left hand. Don't start bad habits early like I did :)

[quote name='Rictor']It's hard as hell. Beatmania lacks a grandma song and my reflexes are the same as grandma's...slow.[/quote]

Thats one reason I haven't decided if I should get this game and that the reviews ain't so hot.

I picked one of these up yesterday after some debate. The store I went to only had two left and I was really tempted to get both so I could have two-player action at my house. I remembered that my friend has a copy as well so didn't need it. $40 is a sweet deal because I bought just the controller about 5-6 years ago for that price. Really can't go wrong with this deal.

A large number of songs are totally doable. I haven't tried IIDX mode yet (still tryin to get the hang of two hand play, I was playin one handed, but saw suggestions on Bemanistyle to do 2 hand). I can easily pass anything less than 6 stars, and even a couple 6 and 7 star songs.

If you've never played a music game before:
Stay the hell away! This is not the place to start.

If you've played music games before:
Awesome game. Now I just need to see about getting some imports!

Did anyone happen to grab a screenshot of Target's website? I'm pretty sure it mentioned bundle on the description page this morning, but when I got around to printing it out, they nixed the "bundle" part. Thx.

Thanks for the post! I picked it up (along with Genji for $9.99) at Target.
I noticed that the store I went didn't put up and temp price drop for Bestmania. I had to ask someone to pricescan it for me to verify.

Thanks again!

I might have to check my local Target for this. I'm really tempted to get it, simply because I like music games.

I played this at an arcade a while, but failed miserably. :)

Okay, so I bought one for myself and one for resale

But I'm having second doubts about the resell one, are they worth reselling? How much do these get on average?

[quote name='sarausagi']Okay, so I bought one for myself and one for resale

But I'm having second doubts about the resell one, are they worth reselling? How much do these get on average?[/quote]
You bought one for resale(?)

You aren't going to get back what you spent at Target in resale, unless you do something shady like returning it to Walmart for store credit. The best thing to do is to trade in the beatmania game to Gamestop and keep the 2 controllers and one game.

[quote name='kjauburn']Picked one up tonight at target. If I enjoy it I might try and pick another one up. Wonder if the game qualifys for the 2 for 1 at Rhino...[/QUOTE]

Exactly what I was thinking. Then again, it seems like every game I see a deal on I think that. :p

BTW, the controller is USB, right? Just making sure I won't have any trouble using it w/ the PS3 later on.

[quote name='argyle']Exactly what I was thinking. Then again, it seems like every game I see a deal on I think that. :p

BTW, the controller is USB, right? Just making sure I won't have any trouble using it w/ the PS3 later on.[/quote]

The controller uses the standard PS2 controller input, not USB.

Hmm...I should have checked Ebay prices before buying this...figured it would be going for close to retail but it seems to be fairly unpopular with people who have bought it and you can actually pick it up used in the $30 shipped range or lower if you look around. I'm ashamed to have committed the sin of paying more than Ebay prices for a video game...the first time I've done this in about 10 years. :(

For anyone who already has it, can you please take a second to type down the UPC number that's on the bottom of the box? Thanks for taking the time.
-kun

[quote name='Rictor']Hmm...I should have checked Ebay prices before buying this...figured it would be going for close to retail but it seems to be fairly unpopular with people who have bought it and you can actually pick it up used in the $30 shipped range or lower if you look around. I'm ashamed to have committed the sin of paying more than Ebay prices for a video game...the first time I've done this in about 10 years. :([/quote]
Um...aren't ebay prices ALWAYS lower than retail? Why would you pay more than retail from a shady ebayer, plus you have to pay shipping?

EDIT: What are you talking about? I just checked ebay and none of the prices for controller and game are substantially less than Target. You'll save one or two bucks at the most!

Rictor - not to mention this isn't something you would really want used anyways, on the higher levels of gameplay im sure the controller can get really beat up. If you're gonna play it you want the most use out of it you can get.

kobunicus - the number underneath the barcode on my copy is 83717 25047

[quote name='Lou-Dawg']Um...aren't ebay prices ALWAYS lower than retail? Why would you pay more than retail from a shady ebayer, plus you have to pay shipping?

EDIT: What are you talking about? I just checked ebay and none of the prices for controller and game are substantially less than Target. You'll save one or two bucks at the most![/QUOTE]

Also, check the shipping out on the beatmania, $18 on two of them

I'm willing to say this costs around $10 to ship, it could cost $18 if you packed and sent a certain way, but a clean cut packaging and no frills shipping should cost around $10..they're still making $8 off that

But here's why I'm returning one and just keeping one

http://cgi.ebay.com/Sony-PlayStatio...4QQihZ020QQcategoryZ62054QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Seriously, I realize some people just suck at ebay auctioning [since I'm pretty sure I could do $70-$100 just for a PS2 alone] but that's a PS2 with a COMPLETE BEATMANIA, plus Amplitude, Frequency, Megaman, and COMPONENT CABLES FOR $140 SHIPPED

[quote name='M3wThr33']DAMN! That auction got a screwed up price.[/QUOTE]

And I didn't even notice an original Burnout Revenge and the Mortal Kombat Trilogy or the MEMORY CARD for that matter, the only game not worth at least $10 is the Tony Hawk, other than that this auction should have gone above $200

Does the game allow you to play a 1 player game with 2 controllers? Wasn't there a game in japan that allowed this? I picked up one and haven't had time to give it a shot and was wondering if I should go out and get another one just for the controller. Or are people getting the second controller just for the 2 player mode?

2 left at the Novato, CA Target. They are behind the PS2 glass casing, next to Guitar Hero.

Is there a reason why this game may not be selling well in the U.S? I don't go to many arcades, but the ones I do go to, I've only seen Beatmania at one of them.

[quote name='asianxcore']2 left at the Novato, CA Target. They are behind the PS2 glass casing, next to Guitar Hero.

Is there a reason why this game may not be selling well in the U.S? I don't go to many arcades, but the ones I do go to, I've only seen Beatmania at one of them.[/QUOTE]

The game seemed to have received ho-hum reviews. The major complaints seem to be that it took far too long to arrive from Japan and the song selection is relatively weak. For those who've never experienced it before, it's still a great game.

i bought a two copies of the bundle so that i would have an extra controller and so far the game is pretty tough, but playable. the tag on the shelf was the original price at the target i went to, but scanned the discounted price at register. the controller let's you flip the keys around so you can set it up easily to play doubles or left-handed, which was a nice little addition. 5-key mode seemed alot harder then the 7-key mode to me as well.

thanks op!

[quote name='punkprincess']i bought a two copies of the bundle so that i would have an extra controller and so far the game is pretty tough, but playable. the tag on the shelf was the original price at the target i went to, but scanned the discounted price at register. the controller let's you flip the keys around so you can set it up easily to play doubles or left-handed, which was a nice little addition. 5-key mode seemed alot harder then the 7-key mode to me as well.

thanks op![/QUOTE]

What I want to know, where in the world are you all putting the controller?

I tried a piano stand but it was too big. It doesn't work at all on the floor. I have been playing in my lap but I feel that it wobbles around and I feel the lack of response.

I just don't see where the placement of this controller fits in with a home theatre type room. I also don't have an arcade stick because I don't know WHERE TO PUT IT.

Do you all have some sort of special way of placing the keyboard?

Also, I'll add 5 key is just not natural to me, I think it's because I'm used to piano and octaves, so the 7 key mode makes more sense to me. I definitely am better at the more keyboard like songs, the hip hop ones where it's more scrtatching and little key presses every now and then I am HORRIBLE at

Favorite songs so far: 511, Toxic

[quote name='sarausagi']What I want to know, where in the world are you all putting the controller?

I tried a piano stand but it was too big. It doesn't work at all on the floor. I have been playing in my lap but I feel that it wobbles around and I feel the lack of response.

I just don't see where the placement of this controller fits in with a home theatre type room. I also don't have an arcade stick because I don't know WHERE TO PUT IT.

Do you all have some sort of special way of placing the keyboard?

Also, I'll add 5 key is just not natural to me, I think it's because I'm used to piano and octaves, so the 7 key mode makes more sense to me. I definitely am better at the more keyboard like songs, the hip hop ones where it's more scrtatching and little key presses every now and then I am HORRIBLE at

Favorite songs so far: 511, Toxic[/quote]

It works on the floor, but you have to sit cross legged to play. Personally I use my coffee table and sit on the floor. It works really well and you don't have to worry about it slipping when you have a bunch of scratches to hit.

damn I suck at this game :). I'm still getting used to remembering what number line is what key.

it's really enjoyable so far and I'm determined to get better.

I was just at the Ft Walton, FL Target yesterday and it was $39.99 and marked as such. So the price is still in effect at least at one of my Targets.

[quote name='M3wThr33']People should only be buying this for the controller. That way you can play the JPN iidx games.[/quote]

Thats good in theory and all, but not all of us have the ability to play imports. Trust me, I'd love to import the "better" versions of beatmania, and some more versions of Taiko Drum Master, but I'm not going through all the hassle and cost of getting my ps2 to play imports.

bread's done
Back