Beats: best $5 game ever!

VanillaGorilla

CAGiversary!
Feedback
18 (100%)
So I got a PS3 on Thursday night, and I was browsing the PSN Store, and I found Beats. It's a $5 game for your PSP that you put on your memory stick. What it is, basically, is a simple rhythm game where you press the face buttons in time with the beat of the song. The catch is, the game creates "levels" out of all the songs on your Memory Stick. So basically, I have about 2000 "levels" I can play, with 4 different difficulties. It's really awesome, and I suggest everyone check it out.

I began playing it on Medium, and thought it wasnt that great, because the beats didn't match the music, but as soon as I turned it onto hard or extreme, it got nuts. Amazingly addicting game.

Yeah, hard and expert is definitely where the algorithm for determining what/when buttons should be pressed really starts to shine.

I've had it since the US release, and for $5 it is a no brainer, especially if you have a decent sized memory stick to hold MP3s.

Of course the obligatory question is what is everyone's favorite songs to play the game to?

[quote name='Rocko']That sounds awesome. How large is it? I only have a 1gig stick.[/quote]

it's 237mb.

I have a 2 gig stick with this and about 60 songs to play around with.

initially i felt ripped off when getting the game a week after release, but it's such a good chill out game that it's paid itself off easily. I do hope for a sequil though that fixes my gripes like some of the beat timing algorithms as well as unlockable content or whatnot.

Does this get challenging on hard? I'm considering it, but I can really only enjoy rhytym games is they're kicking my butt, haha.

yeah, i was thinking of picking this up after reading up how it kinda grew on people after they decided to up the ante and hard-mode it... i was wondering about the drm on psp - i read about being able to register 5 systems, right? probably was gonna get this and share it with some cousins...

Downloading it now. I have you can make multiple PSN accounts (if that's what I just made to be able to buy the game) since I just made up a random name to get it done with, and don't want that as my name if I ever get a PS3. :lol:

30% and rising.

Edit: Well I'm impressed. I can see myself getting hooked on this.

[quote name='Rocko']Downloading it now. I have you can make multiple PSN accounts (if that's what I just made to be able to buy the game) since I just made up a random name to get it done with, and don't want that as my name if I ever get a PS3. :lol:

30% and rising.

Edit: Well I'm impressed. I can see myself getting hooked on this.[/QUOTE]

You should've downloaded it with the PS3 name you wanted since it'll make your life easier down the road. Plus you can reserve the name you want for whenever you pick up a PS3 then.

[quote name='VanillaGorilla']I began playing it on Medium, and thought it wasnt that great, because the beats didn't match the music, but as soon as I turned it onto hard or extreme, it got nuts. Amazingly addicting game.[/quote]

So kind of like guitar hero?

I will definitely try this game. Thanks OP.

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']You should've downloaded it with the PS3 name you wanted since it'll make your life easier down the road. Plus you can reserve the name you want for whenever you pick up a PS3 then.[/quote]

That's true. I may make another account later.

For those who have the game, how challenging is expert?

Rocko, there are free wma to mp3 converters available online. They work, but it's kind of a hassle. Eventually I just changed WMP to rip my music in mp3.

I was all excited because I just loaded 1.5gbs of my favorite songs on my new 4gb stick. I loaded up Beats expecting to see hundreds of my songs ready to play and all that came up was "Jane Says" by Janes Addiction. It was the only mp3 in that folder. It was fun playing to, but I guess I have to start re-ripping some tracks just for this game. M.I.A.'s "Kala" here I come.

I haven't touched my PSP in nearly a year, but i saw it with a bunch of other crap and decided to start playing around with it. I haven't played any games on it yet, but I downloaded a bunch of demos to it, updated it, and set up the PS Store so that I can download Beats after I saw this topic. I'm going to watch the trailer and see if I want it. It sounds cool.

Its pretty cool but there were some minor issues with it (it something would lag or freeze for a second during the game, and some FPS issues). I ended up buying Phase for my iPod Nano.

That's screwed up. I had to put $10 in my wallet so that I could buy a game that was $4.99 because they have to charge tax on this. And there is abolutely nothing in the store that I can buy for $4 so that I can use the rest of the money. I want Spyro, because I remember playing the crap out of that game when I was little, but it cost $5.99, so I'd have to put in another $5. Oh well.

[quote name='sj41']That's screwed up. I had to put $10 in my wallet so that I could buy a game that was $4.99 because they have to charge tax on this. And there is abolutely nothing in the store that I can buy for $4 so that I can use the rest of the money. I want Spyro, because I remember playing the crap out of that game when I was little, but it cost $5.99, so I'd have to put in another $5. Oh well.[/quote]

Yeah they did that to me too, but I had around $5 in my wallet. I still had to add another 5. I think tax is on a state by state basis, but I'm not sure.

I finally downloaded this (figuring it'd be hard to waste $5 :lol:) and I'm pretty pleased. There are only a few minor issues.

Some of the songs get pretty crazy on expert, such as Mr Lif's Phantom...thanks for the help guys ;)

I'm gonna get this once Sony releases the PSN "gift cards" in retail stores so I can buy it online.

Just curious, but why do people have so many WMA's? Is there a store that sells WMA's? Do people actually use the bloated WMP to listen to, organize, and rip music?

It is probably the format I am least likely to use. I prefer .m4a(.aac), .ogg, .mp3, then .wma. once of the main reasons I don't use WMA (aside from aural reasons) is exactly the problem you are having.

Sorry if this comes accross as inflammatory, my curiosity just piqued.

~S

I forgot why I switched to wmas, I think because my mp3 player could fit more of them than MP3s, or something like that. I use WMP to rip but use Creative software that I got with my X-fi soundcard to organize and listen. But I think I'm going to go back to mp3s again.

Worth the $5 (even though it really cost me $10). I really don't think that the note patterns are representative of the songs at all, but it's cool to have a little game to play when I want to listen to music. It's gameplay is simple and fun, and there are a lot of customization options. Anybody who's on the fence, it's definitely worth it's cheap pricetag.

I have a question. I had this game for awhile now, but really haven't played much with my own music. Like a month ago I downloaded all of the available songs from Smash Bros Brawl. They are all in mp3 format. Today I finally got around to dumping some of them songs onto my PSP, and when I went to play one of the songs in the game.. It didn't work. I got some kind of error. :whistle2:k

I tried to play the songs on my PSP and they worked fine. They just didn't work in the game. Any reason to this?

[quote name='lilboo']I have a question. I had this game for awhile now, but really haven't played much with my own music. Like a month ago I downloaded all of the available songs from Smash Bros Brawl. They are all in mp3 format. Today I finally got around to dumping some of them songs onto my PSP, and when I went to play one of the songs in the game.. It didn't work. I got some kind of error. :whistle2:k

I tried to play the songs on my PSP and they worked fine. They just didn't work in the game. Any reason to this?[/QUOTE]

This? :whistle2:(

[quote name='lilboo']I have a question. I had this game for awhile now, but really haven't played much with my own music. Like a month ago I downloaded all of the available songs from Smash Bros Brawl. They are all in mp3 format. Today I finally got around to dumping some of them songs onto my PSP, and when I went to play one of the songs in the game.. It didn't work. I got some kind of error. :whistle2:k

I tried to play the songs on my PSP and they worked fine. They just didn't work in the game. Any reason to this?[/quote]

Not all songs work just because they just don't work with the game if you catch my drift.

Now that I own Audiosurf, I wish we could get a port of that instead. That's way more fun to play, plus you can rank with others and all the other fun options that are available.

[Stupid]No, I don't get your drift :cry: :dunce:[/stupid]
(LOL I'm serious, not being sarcastic)

Could you elaborate more? It's probably something I'm COMPLETELY missing, but it's not sinking in at the moment.

[quote name='lilboo']This? :whistle2:([/quote]
Hmm
Irshell will not play all of my mp3s either. What is strange is that most of the songs in an album will play but not a few. Irshell will only support mp3s encoded in 3 sampling rates. Maybe that's the problem with Beats? Your mp3s may have the wrong sampling rates.

I'm just throwing that out there but it may be a possibility.

[quote name='primetime']Hmm
Irshell will not play all of my mp3s either. What is strange is that most of the songs in an album will play but not a few. Irshell will only support mp3s encoded in 3 sampling rates. Maybe that's the problem with Beats? Your mp3s may have the wrong sampling rates.

I'm just throwing that out there but it may be a possibility.[/quote]

Hmm. Never thought of that. I was under the impression that some songs are just too whacky for the game to play. Like I tried Primus stuff and Beats was just like "no."

Just got it after hearing so many good things about it

I'm playing on Medium and I'm having a blast with it

Only complaint...loading times, but it's up there with best $5 spent

Id like to to thank everyone who recommended this. Best $5 I've spent on a game. I'm playing on hard, and extreme and having a blast. Plus all the DLC I need, is here on the PC ;)

bread's done
Back