Before I buy a ps3 will I be able to get it online? help!

BoneMonkey80

CAGiversary!
Feedback
20 (100%)
I don't have a router but I do have optimum wifi to connect to the internet I click on my wireless internet connections on the bottom right hand corner of windows xp and connect to optimum wifi which is a unsecured connection

BUT it won't give me internet access even though im connected and no matter what I do I always go to a optimum wifi login screen

This is no problem as my nieghbor is cool and gave me his login and password so I can login to the internet

This is how im able to connect to the internet and chat and post on here my question is this

If I buy a ps3 will I be able to connect it to the internet using my optimum wifi so i can game online?

Thank you guys for any help you can give me

Are you saying that on your computer, to be able to access the internet, you have to log in to a website?

If so, you will probably have to buy a switch and share a wired connection from your computer to your ps3.

[quote name='Droogs']Are you saying that on your computer, to be able to access the internet, you have to log in to a website?

If so, you will probably have to buy a switch and share a wired connection from your computer to your ps3.[/QUOTE]

yes i can't access the internet unless i login using the optimum wifi website

my friend gave me a idea though

he said maybe i can connect to optimum wifi using my ps3 then open up the ps3 browser and then login from there???

You can try that...but from my experience with the psp, that won't work. But it's worth a try.

But you can definitely share the internet connection through your computer either using a crossover cable straight to your ps3 or you can buy a switch and run a cable from the switch to both your ps3 and computer.

you mean bridge the connection? i tried bridging the conenction of my optimum wifi with my xbox 360 using a ethernet cable and no luck

How did you connect your computer to your 360? such as cabling and any other device in between. Because if you just ran one network cable straight from your computer to your 360, it needs to be a crossover cable which most people do not have.

i used a ethernet cable whats a crossover cable?

there use to be another unsecured wifi signal near me and I use to connect to that with my computer a ethernet cable and my xbox 360 and was able to get my 360 online just fine but I guess they caught on to me and locked up the wifi signal

Now I use optimum online wifi and the login and password screen kills it

It's like the cable you used except some of the wires are switched around in order for the information to be properly received by the network card. If you want to use the cable your currently have, you will need to buy a switch.

I will see if I can find a crosssover cable if I buy one that should be it should get my xbox and ps3 online ? lol

crap the cable is like 15 bucks if i buy it and it don't work im out 15 bucks lol

Last edited by a moderator:
Wait a second....you are using your neighbor's wifi network logon to connect and want to connect a PS3? While this is CAG, the "G" does stand for something.

1. Do you have a logon to the wifi connection? If not, I suggest getting one first. If you are supposed to have one, talk to the vendor.
2. I would contact the vendor on how they have worked with others to get 360s & PS3s hooked up.
3. You could bridge the connection and use your PC as a proxy, but I suggest a switch to do that and hard wire it up.

I'd hate to see someone get into some trouble just for using someone else's account.

I've had a similar issue back at my last apartment. You have to log in to the internet provider the first time you use a new computer.

With the PS3, it was easy because all I did was use the browser (just like I would with my PC/laptop). With the 360, I had to call them and they manually added the system.

[quote name='Vinny']I've had a similar issue back at my last apartment. You have to log in to the internet provider the first time you use a new computer.

With the PS3, it was easy because all I did was use the browser (just like I would with my PC/laptop). With the 360, I had to call them and they manually added the system.[/QUOTE]

ty!

bread's done
Back