Before Nintendo DS, which company had better handhelds?

dwsscs

CAGiversary!
This is overflow from a discussion between MorPhiend and me. Which I think is very interesting.

I prefer the Sega screens, and I am not sure of his opinion but its leaning towards Nintendo (don't want to misquote you). I think. MorPhiend feel free to clarify this. I will try to peace together our conversation in a post after this.

While the Nomad was awesome, it ate batteries like fucking crazy. and I hated the GG screen, it blurred too much, and that too ate batteries. nintendo has been at the top of its game in the Handheld market since they entered it.

Its in the subject line, my bad. They are kind of the same in my book. I never liked the Game Boy, or DS screen comparing them to the brightness and clarity of the Sega handhelds. Which I just want to plug , that I happen to have a nice Sega Nomad on ebay. I bought it new and took really good care of it. All proceeds from the auction will go to purchase a PS2 hard drive for my Socom 2 addiction:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=8147299848&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT

Except the SP's brightness is much more vivid and brighter than the nomad, and the screen doesnt all go to hell with fast paced games like Sonic....sega's mascot. Hey the Nomad is great....you'll sell it just fine...I've had three I love them so much. But the Gameboy Advance SP model display is light years above the Nomad. PLaying super Street fighter or Sonic on this thing was a nightmare. No reason to lie. Lets be real here.

I guess I was misunderstood! By brightness and clarity - I mean there is a constant with the screen in different situations. I have a Game Boy SP and hate the fact its harder to play in daylight (even with the backlight on) compared to the Sega Products. Plus the colors seem washed out with the back light on, and hard to see with it off. But the Game Boy SP screen does seem to have a better refresh rate the problem is seeing it in daylight. I did not have any of the problems with Street Fighter 2 championship edition or the Sonic games like you did. Let it be noted I never owned a Game Gear so I have little experience with it. I am not trying to be dishonest at all.

First, the SP is frontlit, not backlit. Second, in your first post you said "Sega handhelds" and before you say it was a typo, your last post said "compared to Sega Products." I never have played the Nomad, so I wouldn't know who is right there, but I have played the GameGear (one of Sega's "Products/handhelds") and it's screen sucks. Sure, Columns works fine, but it doesn't even have to move fast like the Nomad supposedly does to be unviewable. Just walking on a sidescoller like X-Men makes the screen completely blurry. You just sound like another anti-Nintendo fanboy who (probably) has little to no experience on the SP or DS (which are completely different no matter how much you want to say they aren't) and out of the two examples given for an alternative ("knowing" they are better), has experience with only one and has no knowledge of the other. If you don't want to try something because of a personal (and baseless) bias, fine. Just keep it to yourself.

dwsscs wrote:

For the record I actually prefer Nintendo games over Sega. I still have a original Game Boy. When I was talking about handhelds I think Sega was way ahead of Nintendo. The Game Gear was ahead of the Game Boy and Game Boy Color (how long after Sega introduced the Game Gear did Nintendo add color). Oh wait I forgot the Virtual Boy! It rocked and had the color red I think.

I was mainly comparing them to the systems of there time period. I am still not happy with the SP compared to the Nomad screen.

My whole point was that you could see the screens better outside than any of the Game Boy Color, advance, advance SP. You are right about the front lit screen on the SP, but it still sucks with any daylight (colors look washed out). The whole point of a portable is to carry it with you, and sometimes you go outside.

I am not a Nintendo hater, I just wanted better Nintendo handhelds. To play portable versions of the games I liked (Mario, Metroid, Zelda). The DS is cool and haven't really played it so I have high hopes for it.

MorPhiend:

Now you are just exercising damage control. And I like how you just quoted me and left out your original statements so you could make up the content. You said, and I quote: "I never liked the Game Boy, or DS screen comparing them to the brightness and clarity of the Sega handhelds." Your own words compare the DS to the Sega handhelds. That is the Nomad and the GG. Your just digging yourself deeper my friend. The fact is you were either wrong, or you simply mis-spoke. Stop trying to say you said something you didn't and that you didn't say something that you did.

If you meant that you could see the Nomad screen better than the GB/GBC/GBA/GBSP, then say so, and leave it at that. And of course that should be so. The SP is frontlit and the others aren't lit. Sega's are backlit. That is explanation enough. But that doesn't change the fact that with the SP you can actually see what is happening if the screen scrolls.

dwsscs:
Dude I didn't want to take up the whole page. I am not doing damage control, people can see the posts if they want. This is really a opinion thing. I will set up a poll in one of the system specific forums.

Handhelds should be judged by their ability to actually be portable (scratch nomad off the list) and by having many great games (peace out Game Gear). Nintendo wins.

[quote name='SneakyPenguin']While the Nomad was awesome, it ate batteries like shaq-fuing crazy. and I hated the GG screen, it blurred too much, and that too ate batteries. nintendo has been at the top of its game in the Handheld market since they entered it.[/quote]

Its kind of funny I guess I am partial to the Nomad to because of its versatility. Sega quit making systems period, so I guess that should speak something for Nintendo guys.

I really liked the Game Boy Light system from Japan, with the indiglo screen.

I have a Nomad & a GBA SP. I vote for Nintendo for the aforementioned problems with the Nomad (too big, ate up batteries). I'm hoping the PSP will be good, but I heard it will also eat up batteries (maybe there will be longer-life batteries to buy).

[quote name='Parathod']I also go with Nintendo, but the Nomad was a good idea.[/quote]

I would have to say Nintendo as well. And I agree with Parathod. I always wanted the Nomad (never even got to try it though).

[quote name='MorPhiend'][quote name='Parathod']I also go with Nintendo, but the Nomad was a good idea.[/quote]

I would have to say Nintendo as well. And I agree with Parathod. I always wanted the Nomad (never even got to try it though).[/quote]

The bad thing about the Nomad it was as like holding a light weight brick with a cartridge sticking out of it. LOL

I actually had a chance to buy a Nomad 3 years ago at an EB used for 4$ but I passed on it.......I'm still shaq-fuing kicking myself over this.............But Nintendo has been king of handhelds and the DS only demonstrates this further.

[quote name='crazytalkx']I actually had a chance to buy a Nomad 3 years ago at an EB used for 4$ but I passed on it.......I'm still shaq-fuing kicking myself over this.............But Nintendo has been king of handhelds and the DS only demonstrates this further.[/quote]

I agree Nintendo dominated the market. I just like the Sega's innovation: first color model, backlit color screens, plays genesis games, hooked up to play on TV, etc.

I chose Nomad and GG. I admit that they used batteries like crazy (Gamegear took 6 AA batteries and only lasted for 2 hours) I like that they both had backlit screens and I guess they were just ahead of their time..too bad they couldn't fix the battery issue.

well i would say that the nomad was second to the sp but then again i liked the size of the original gameboy better than the pocket or the color, fitrs your hands better. of course no one should forget the virtual boy which was also supposed to be portable system, worst one ever

[quote name='whoknows']I chose Nomad and GG. I admit that they used batteries like crazy (Gamegear took 6 AA batteries and only lasted for 2 hours) I like that they both had backlit screens and I guess they were just ahead of their time..too bad they couldn't fix the battery issue.[/quote]

That was my whole point! Too bad I am a bad communicator.

The first "system"I got was a nomad. I loved it, and I still have it today. Need to get a new cover screen thoug. I never used batteries with it though, just an power adapter I bought with it. I bought the nomad new for $50 at TRU I think in '97 or '98 :? . I loved the nomad. I had the tv cord as well as another controller for it.

I had a few games for it like sonic and college slam(I loved this game). All the sega games were pretty cheap at this time

--------------------------------------------------------------

But, I still agree, nintendo is king.

--------------------------------------------------------------

one last thing, I lurk at this site alot and hardly ever post. Thanks all you guys for the posts and deals

The SP is just too portable, well done, and packed with great games to lose to anyone yet in this battle.

[quote name='maxguy56']The SP is just too portable, well done, and packed with great games to lose to anyone yet in this battle.[/quote]

Yeah but the Nomad and GG were really big...If you lost it was easy to find :D

[quote name='maxguy56']The SP is just too portable, well done, and packed with great games to lose to anyone yet in this battle.[/quote]

The SP was like 100 years after the Sega stuff, oh wait it was about 6 - 8 years.

Nintendo wins. Sega's handhelds were not handheld. The screens at the time they came out were really nice but ate batteries too quickly. I would like to see what Sega would do today with the current technology that is out there. In terms of being a truly portable and complete package the SP wins. With the DS and PSP being bigger the SP may be the best "portable" system for awhile. Another nice runner up would be the Neo Geo Pocket Color. Great little system.

bread's done
Back