Best Atlus games

Dragonsbane

CAGiversary!
Feedback
40 (100%)
I am a huge fan of atlus and I have a collection growing of their games, trauma center, super robot wars ect and i was wondering what are the must have atlus games for anyone with a ds/gba?

I don't know if they're "must have" but these are some Atlus games that may be worth your while:

Contact DS
Etrian Odyssey DS
Izuna DS
Lufia GBA
Luminous Arc DS
River City Ransom GBA
Riviera GBA
Rondo of Swords DS
Shining Soul GBA
Summon Night GBA
Super Dodge Ball Advance GBA
Tactics Ogre GBA

Rondo of Swords is fun (and hard as hell), but I don't know how appealing it would be to someone who doesn't already love strategy RPGs (I assume that you do, though, going by the Prinny in your sig).

I need to start keeping on top of the atlus games, it seems if I dont get them at launch they vanish...

Also strategy rpgs are awesome (ff tactics A2.....yay!)

[quote name='lilboo']Trauma Center :nottalking:[/quote]
Haha, I said that too, until I noticed that the OP said they already owned it. It was way late for me.

But Trauma Center is an awesome game. It utilized much of the DS's stylus capabilities.

Shining Soul 2 is an excellent GBA hack-n-slash game... Atlus and Sega I think cooked this one up, but, it is a great timesink.

Summon Night 1 and 2 for GBA are very fun JRPGs...

Really, Atlus is kinda uneven. I thought River City Ransom Advance was half-assed* and Izuna DS was dull. Trauma Center is easily their best work though.

*EDIT: I take this back.

Luminous Arc is good on the DS, they just released Luminous Arc 2 in Japan so mabye that will release over here as well. I liked Rondo of Swords as too. Also they just released Drone Tactics which I am going to give a try tonight on my R4 and see if it is worth a buy. (all of those are for the DS)

[quote name='RollingSkull']Shining Soul 2 is an excellent GBA hack-n-slash game... Atlus and Sega I think cooked this one up, but, it is a great timesink.

Summon Night 1 and 2 for GBA are very fun JRPGs...

Really, Atlus is kinda uneven. I thought River City Ransom Advance was half-assed and Izuna DS was dull. Trauma Center is easily their best work though.[/quote]

Here's my quick write up on Shining Soul II (first GBA game on the list).

One that I really enjoyed that hasn't been mentioned yet is Yggdra Union, for the GBA. I suppose you could argue it's not technically an Atlus game--they localized it for the US, but Sting developed it--but then the same could be said of Riviera.

really? didn't like trama center? any specific reason? I thought it was fun, kinda novel, but still fun!

[quote name='Kriket']really? didn't like trama center? any specific reason? I thought it was fun, kinda novel, but still fun![/quote]

Who didn't like it? I loved it.

The only DS game Atlus made are Etrian Odyssey and Trauma Center. The other are Success or other publishers

I take back the bit about the RCR GBA remake being half-assed. I dug it back out again and I like it. It ain't exactly as delicious as it COULD be, but there's a lot of fun in this one.

I just want to point out how disappointed I was by Ogre Tactics on GBA. I'd never played another game in the series, and this looked really promising. Everything in it was fine, but what killed me was that you had to sit through your opponent's entire turn and couldn't skip any of the animations, some of which are really, really long. In battles with a lot of enemies, this is EXCRUCIATING. So, if you like a good strategy game, don't mind 1 minute of gameplay to 3 minutes of waiting, and have lots of free time, go for it.

[quote name='rabbitt']Tactics Ogre: The Knight of Lodis is a solid GBA RPG.[/quote]

+1, especially if you love the isometric turn based Strategy RPGs like Disgaea.

[quote name='rabbitt']Tactics Ogre: The Knight of Lodis is a solid GBA RPG.[/quote]

If you ever played the original Playstation Final Fantasy Tactics, this is basically that with less and different classes (and different things here or there and of course the graphics and story). Seriously the gameplay is so similar to that game but it is really good.

Trauma Center is very hard but it is unique and fun.

I'd definitely recommend Etrian Odyssey if you're an old school dungeon crawler fan. I can't wait for the sequel this june.

trauma center was okay and contact is okay too. neither are anything i'd get on a soap box about. i'm still at contact and heard the ending is kinda intriguing. trauma center's difficulty random changes kida pissed me off. even though i'm kinda of negative here, i do have a good opinion of atlus.

Love ogre battle 64, tactics ogre for playstation and digital devil saga 1 & 2 for PS2 atlus games are super collectable often being produced in small quantities and snatched up rapidly by gamers, also other notable game makers are NIS America and working designs.

How's Izuna? I noticed that was down to $20 and was wondering if it was any good? I don't have a DS yet, but that looks like a good game that might become harder to find later on.

[quote name='erehwon']How's Izuna? I noticed that was down to $20 and was wondering if it was any good? I don't have a DS yet, but that looks like a good game that might become harder to find later on.[/quote]

I've met a few people who like it, and I can ALMOST see where they are coming from, but I disagree in the end.

It likely won't be rare. There will be a (hopefully) superior sequel in the near future, and the used copies at your local GameStop won't vanish.

[quote name='maigoyume']You mean this one?

http://www.atlus.com/izuna2/[/QUOTE]
I was referring to the first one. I'm just wondering about it since there are only like two copies in my area. I'm kind of debating getting a few games like this since I'm a Atlus fan. I don't have a DS yet, but I do plan on getting one when that Valkyrie Profile game comes out, or sooner if I find a great deal on a fat model at a garage sale.

[quote name='erehwon']I was referring to the first one. I'm just wondering about it since there are only like two copies in my area. I'm kind of debating getting a few games like this since I'm a Atlus fan. I don't have a DS yet, but I do plan on getting one when that Valkyrie Profile game comes out, or sooner if I find a great deal on a fat model at a garage sale.[/quote]

Like I said, I cannot really recommend this game. Successfully makes a decent pocket roguelike with saves at each level and no returning to previous levels, gets rid of LOL MEMORIZE SPOILERS FOREVER bullshit you see in most "real" roguelikes, but it just doesn't have a lot of meat to its gameplay. It never clicks and never really feels like you're doing anything but running through the motions because you don't really get any options. You'd be better off getting Shining Soul 2 for that Atlus-hack-n-slash feel.

[quote name='Concealed Identity']Summon Night for DS is really, really fun. The story, characters, and presentation are totally lame, though.[/quote]
It is pretty much that way with all Summon Night games. The only thing you like is maybe one or two characters for their humor or histrionics. (

[quote name='RollingSkull']It is pretty much that way with all Summon Night games. The only thing you like is maybe one or two characters for their humor or histrionics. (

[quote name='Concealed Identity']I think I've changed my mind about the fun part. I've clocked 4+ hours of game time, and I think 3 1/2 of those is reading the most horrible story known to man. At this point, even the five minutes it takes skipping the damn Fuji-sized mountain of text is pissing me off. Hopefully there's less of this later, but I'm beginning to doubt it.[/quote]

Ooh, keep me posted. I've yet to open my copy.

[quote name='RollingSkull']Ooh, keep me posted. I've yet to open my copy.[/quote]

I'm 9+ hours in and almost done with the game (on Chapter 17). The gameplay is still really fun, but like I said, there's not enough of it. The patterns in the level design are really apparent, especially with so few levels. It feels like it's just there to advance the story, but honestly, this is the worst story I've played in a game in ages. A lot of it has to do with the huge amount of dialogue while almost nothing has happened in this story.

Also, the game's REALLY easy, apart from some boss fights, and those are mostly hard because the AI for your partner is a complete moron and will just stand while the boss uses some linear continuous energy-draining beam-like attack instead of moving out of its way after it starts to hit them.

Honestly, it seems like a very average game built off of a great gameplay design. It's disappointing, but it's also fun.

[quote name='Concealed Identity']I'm 9+ hours in and almost done with the game (on Chapter 17). The gameplay is still really fun, but like I said, there's not enough of it. The patterns in the level design are really apparent, especially with so few levels. It feels like it's just there to advance the story, but honestly, this is the worst story I've played in a game in ages. A lot of it has to do with the huge amount of dialogue while almost nothing has happened in this story.

Also, the game's REALLY easy, apart from some boss fights, and those are mostly hard because the AI for your partner is a complete moron and will just stand while the boss uses some linear continuous energy-draining beam-like attack instead of moving out of its way after it starts to hit them.

Honestly, it seems like a very average game built off of a great gameplay design. It's disappointing, but it's also fun.[/quote]

Sounds very much like classic Summon Night. The GBA games were pretty much the same. CAD levels of needless dialogue, a few eccentric characters so you can enjoy your demon girl's whiny histrionics or the other girl's repeated insistence that you should marry her as the occasional bright bits in a really, really dull story. Fun gameplay also keeps you going.

Thanks for the report. I might just take it back and hold for $20-ish.

bread's done
Back