Best available Arcade Stick for the PS3

gizmo29

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
Hey CAG crew,

I have just been playing some old school acade fighting games on the ps3 with my buddies (e.g. marvel vs capcom 2, street fighter, tekken, etc.) and I am in the market for an arcade stick. Any help + reccomendations would be appreciated. So far the only thing that has caught my eye is the street fighter anniversary arcade stick, however, I am not sure if it works with the ps3 (do I need to buy a seperate converter?)

Any help, comments, or reccomendations to steer me clear towards an arade heaven experience on the ps3 would be appreciated:)

[quote name='TheShiz']if you want something that will take a beating, check this out:

http://www.xgaming.com/mame-panel.shtml

it's a beast, so shipping won't be cheap, and you need adapters to use it on consoles, but it's about as close as you'll get to the arcades and the price is really good for what you get[/QUOTE]

It'll take a beating, coz people will throw it on the floor and jump on it out of anger because it pales in comparison to Hori's offerings.

[quote name='Chacrana']It'll take a beating, coz people will throw it on the floor and jump on it out of anger because it pales in comparison to Hori's offerings.[/QUOTE]

beats me, i figured they would include quality parts since the original price was so high, the only thing that could really matter are the joysticks, do you know what brand/type it uses? i didn't see it listed, if it's a piece of crap, fair enough, you could probably replace them with quality 8-ways and be good to go.

i'm guessing the hori weighs a few pounds, which i don't find all that fun to use, that's nothing like the arcade unless you strap it down to something. this is also a dual stick, you'd need 2 horis for 2 player

The X-Arcade sticks use Happ clones for their buttons and sticks. The PCB is also known to lag when you're playing. To make it a good stick you'd have to stick in a hacked PS1 digital or dualshock PCB, and swap out the stick and buttons with real Happ parts.

For all the time and money spent, you'd be better off buying a MAS stick, if you're a fan of American style sticks, or buying one of the HRAPs and swapping the buttons out with real Sanwa buttons, if you're a fan of Japanese style sticks. Or the best option would be to just get a custom stick built for you.

If the light weight of the HRAPs is what's keeping you from purchasing it, there's a lot of empty space inside of the case. You could mod it by placing some sort of weight system in the unused internal space.

I've had an X-Arcade for a few years and all the negative buzz it gets is definitely an exaggeration. Granted, I'm not a tournament level player so I won't notice if a punch came out a frame later than it was supposed to, but I haven't experienced any lag or other problems using the stick.

However, I am thinking of trading it in for a Hori stick or something similar, mainly because they're a bit smaller and I've been swayed over to convex buttons after playing Tekken 5 in the arcade. Plus one of the reasons I originally went with an X-Arcade is that I was playing a lot of SCII/Ikaruga on Gamecube and I'll probably be mostly PS2/3 from now on.

But yeah, definitely not a bad stick. Not to mention my PS2 adapter gave out after a couple years and they replaced it for free, shipping included. Great service.

But given the choice, why would you pay $100 for a stick that uses imitation arcade parts and has a PCB that lags, when you could use that same $100 for a stick that uses real arcade parts and a PCB that doesn't lag?

Both the MAS mini http://www.arcadeshock.com/items/pr...arcade-stick-10-button-ps2mini-acc-detail.htm
and the HRAP 3 http://high-scoreonline.com/store/hori-real-arcade-pro-3/ are $100 and are superior sticks to the X-Arcade Solo. The HRAP3 would be about $20 more if you decided to swap out the eight Hori buttons with Sanwa buttons, or $25 more if you swapped out the start and select buttons too.

bread's done
Back