Best Bargain Titles - Getting the Most for the Money

morinphen

CAGiversary!
Hello All,

I am currently saving up to buy a PS3 in the very near future. I have been reading up on games and reviews and deciding what to buy. I have also been keeping an eye on Gamestops website for decent PS3 titles in my range of about $10-$20, doesn't matter if they are used. My question for you all is:

What bargain games will I be getting the most for the money?

Here is a list I have compiled so far of games that I am thinking of buying:

Burnout Paradise
Viking: Battle for Asgard
Timeshift
Edlar Scrolls IV: Oblivion

Thanks in advance for your help.

Thanks for the reply. I would like to get a wide range of game genres also. Not too much into the sports games myself, like more action/adventure, RPG, racing, and a few FPS's.

I recommend Valkyria Chronicles. It's $20 new at Gamestops and it's a great PS3 exclusive. RPG with RTS/3rd Person mixed into the goodness.

Warhawk is ~15 to 20 and is a great multiplayer-only game

You should also drop by the Game Sharing thread (stickied) for getting cheap PSN games.

Oblivion will give you 100+ hours of gameplay (and good gameplay at that).

I don't think it's cheap, but Little Big Planet could essentially give you unlimited hours of entertainment. After completing the built in levels you can create your own or download any of the thousands (millions?) created by other players.

Definitely second Valkyria Chronicles. Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction might be a little short (12 hours?) but it's a blast.

[quote name='Frank Deluded']I recommend Valkyria Chronicles. It's $20 new at Gamestops and it's a great PS3 exclusive. RPG with RTS/3rd Person mixed into the goodness.[/QUOTE]

yep.

[quote name='deadpool253']dont get Valkyria chronicles. terrible game. get Lair instead. best dragon game of the decade!![/QUOTE]

I think you missed the [SARCASM] tags

You can also get SOCOM: Confrontation fairly cheap on ebay, it has a large online community and a strong and long going CAG clan (and from their thread they seem to have lots of fun)

Skate 2 is a great game that can be had for around $20 on clearance YMMV
The Simpsons game is super cheap by now and is actually a fun game with lots of funny moments.
Uncharted 1 is available for around $20 if Im not mistaken

[quote name='erequena']You can also get SOCOM: Confrontation fairly cheap on ebay, it has a large online community and a strong and long going CAG clan (and from their thread they seem to have lots of fun)[/QUOTE]

Second this, in case you don't have a bluetooth, you may be able to score a pair with the game included.

[quote name='Dr. Strangepork']You might even be able to get GTA IV used for around $20[/QUOTE]

What is this GTA IV you speak of? And can it be played with others?:lol:

Seriously though, if the OP wants a copy of GTA IV they can get one from Blockbuster for $14.99 for PS3.

[quote name='deadpool253']dont get Valkyria chronicles. terrible game. get Lair instead. best dragon game of the decade!![/QUOTE]

YMMV - I saw Lair for 10 dollars at my local walmart... so if someone wants to pick it up.... please note that should you play the game you should turn off your system for 3 days and burn your controller. Also after playing the game... break the disc... please.

20 Dollar Range
Bioshock
Dead Space
Mirrors Edge
Oblivion

30 Dollar Range
Uncharted: Drakes Fortune
Ratchet and Clank
Gran Turismo 5 Prologue
Devil May Cry 4

40 Dollar Range
inFAMOUS
God of War Collection (2 games)

100 dollar range
Rock Band 2 Bundle (I get more hours out of this than anything with DLC)

I was thinking of recommending Orange Box, but I only recommend playing Orange box on the PC.

Okay so I am still quite a ways from getting the PS3, but here is the list of games I'm currently banking on to begin my library:

Burnout Paradise - $19.99
Edler Scrolls IV: Oblivion GOTY - $29.99
Valkyria Chronicles - $19.99
Assasin's Creed - $9.99 used
Bioshock - $19.99
Timeshift - $9.99 (Cheap FPS)
Viking: Battle for Asgard - $9.99 (Cheap Hack/Slash)
Uncharted: Drake's Fortune - $19.99

And anything else I might find for

uncharted is great, but i would rent it.. there is nothing in the game to do once you beat it. unless you into collection all the treasures, but after that you'll never touch that game again

Surprised no one has mentioned: Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection for ~$20 MSRP. If someone has already, good job!

[quote name='Trufatty']uncharted is great, but i would rent it.. there is nothing in the game to do once you beat it. unless you into collection all the treasures, but after that you'll never touch that game again[/QUOTE]

For as cheap as it is now, it's definitely worth the purchase. I played through the game at least 3 times in different difficulty settings, because it's that enjoyable for me.

I recommend Uncharted: Drake's Fortune as well.

[quote name='mis0']Surprised no one has mentioned: Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection for ~$20 MSRP. If someone has already, good job![/QUOTE]

Heh, I was going to. 20 bucks, enough Genesis goodness to make it worth it.

[quote name='Frank Deluded']I recommend Valkyria Chronicles. It's $20 new at Gamestops and it's a great PS3 exclusive. RPG with RTS/3rd Person mixed into the goodness.[/QUOTE]

/Thread

[quote name='Frank Deluded']
I recommend Uncharted: Drake's Fortune as well.[/QUOTE]

I'm pretty sure that's the same as the first Uncharted. :p

Instead of buying a bunch of bargain-bin games, get a GameFly subscription for a couple months, find the game(s) you absolutely love and buy that game. Don't keep any game long, even if you love it, just treat the rentals as extended demos and it won't take long.

I already own a couple PS3 games, but I regret those purchases. If I could re-do the past, I'd have rented a bunch of games and just purchased Demon's Souls and Prototype, and I'd have saved a bunch of money. If I took the advice in this thread, like GTA4 and Valkyria Chronicles and Oblivion and stuff, I'd have wasted a bunch of money and still not own a single game I enjoy. Everyone's tastes are different, dedicate a little bit of time and money to GameFly'ing until you find your favorite(s).

You may find out $60 for Demon's Souls is a better value than $15 for GTA4... that's definitely the case for me.

[quote name='Jmclark']I'm pretty sure that's the same as the first Uncharted. :p[/QUOTE]

I know that, I just saw people give multiple recommendations for VC so I'm also putting my 'vote' or support for Drake's Fortune as well.

[quote name='clarke32']Metal Gear Solid IV is a MUST if you like stealth games[/QUOTE]

I fixed that for you. :)

Honestly, there is no game that is truly a must-buy for everyone. Getting recommendations is good, but it is silly to think that everyone will enjoy the same games. I would like to say that gamers should all be able to appreciate 'great' games, but I doubt that is true. I have rather different interests in games than a lot of people on this forum, and therefore I am just not going to enjoy some of the same games, even though I can appreciate what the developers were trying to do.

If youre looking in the bargin bin, Dark Sector and The Darkness usually run around $10 and both offer some great gameplay, although they may be a bit dated. I would also recommend spending awhile browsing the demo section of the PSN. Id never heard of Valkyria before the demo showed up and I ended up buying it day one.

I'm not going to offer suggestions as some games I found appealing for the price I paid might not be appealing to everyone else's taste.

But I will offer some advice, if you don't mind waiting for a sale or buying used, you can get many, many games dirt cheap by looking around. I've probably bought 70% of my PS3 games used and they've all worked flawlessly. The average price I've paid is about $22 a piece.

So unless the shrinkwrap means that much to you, look for a slightly used title and save yourself $5-10 (or more, I'm talking about the $20-30 games, not off of the $60 price) a game, I do and will continue to do so. Also check out some of the CAG buy, sell, trade threads, many good deals to be had there as well. (Got Demon's Souls for $38, only 1 month after if came out, got R&C ACiT for $32, 3 weeks after it came out)

Lots of good deals to be had if you look for'em, and most of 'em aren't at Gamestop. Good Luck on your collection.

[quote name='uncle5555']I'm not going to offer suggestions as some games I found appealing for the price I paid might not be appealing to everyone else's taste.

But I will offer some advice, if you don't mind waiting for a sale or buying used, you can get many, many games dirt cheap by looking around. I've probably bought 70% of my PS3 games used and they've all worked flawlessly. The average price I've paid is about $22 a piece.

So unless the shrinkwrap means that much to you, look for a slightly used title and save yourself $5-10 (or more, I'm talking about the $20-30 games, not off of the $60 price) a game, I do and will continue to do so. Also check out some of the CAG buy, sell, trade threads, many good deals to be had there as well. (Got Demon's Souls for $38, only 1 month after if came out, got R&C ACiT for $32, 3 weeks after it came out)

Lots of good deals to be had if you look for'em, and most of 'em aren't at Gamestop. Good Luck on your collection.[/QUOTE]

On his point, if you are worried about finding complete used games, my own experiences with Gamefly have been great. PS3 users have the added benefit of blu-ray because blu-ray discs are coated with a substance that makes them more durable than normal cds or dvds.

Thanks everyone. I am definitely up for buying used to save a few bucks a piece. I do like my used games complete and the cases in good condition.

Also, it's not that I want to be buying all of the "Bargain Bin" games, I was hoping to get suggestions for those very underrated titles that can be had on the low cost.

Thanks again for all of your suggestions.

2nd on The Darkness. It was a super atmospheric first person shooter with a very nice story.

I really, really hope they make a second one. Paid full price for it and don't regret it at all.

So I have finally picked up the PS3 and so far have the following games:

Assassin's Creed - Given to me by a co-worker
Burnout Paradise - $16 GameStop Used

Planning on my next purchases:

Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
Valkyria Chronicles

[quote name='Thomas96']YMMV - I saw Lair for 10 dollars at my local walmart... so if someone wants to pick it up.... please note that should you play the game you should turn off your system for 3 days and burn your controller. Also after playing the game... break the disc... please.[/QUOTE]

Seconded. Lair is terrible. Absolutely terrible. It's in my top 3 worst games of all time.

[quote name='morinphen']So I have finally picked up the PS3 and so far have the following games:

Assassin's Creed - Given to me by a co-worker
Burnout Paradise - $16 GameStop Used

Planning on my next purchases:

Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
Valkyria Chronicles[/QUOTE]
Congrats on the purchase!
If you're looking for a good game for a good deal, I would definitely recommend Skate 2 ($19.99 at most stores).
At least get the demo of it and try it out, it's a really great game.

bread's done
Back