Best Black Friday deal for upgrading PS3 hard drive?

This is arguable a better deal: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ..._sp=Cat_Hard_Drives-_-72_Hr_Sale-_-22-152-290

That or look for any portable, external drive and gut it. That's what I've done a couple of times. Any of those WD ones work nice.

As for the 7200rpm, if the cost is a premium for it, skip it. It is not likely to provide much benefit. For those who take offense to that, look at the word "much". I did not say none, but it is arguable if it provides anything that most people would notice a majority of the time in their PS3.

Wait for prices to go back to normal. I have a Samsung Spinpoint MP4 640GB drive that is phenomenally fast currently in my PS3, got it last year for $70, they're only up to about $110. Just remember even if you don't intend to use the extra free space, the more you fill a drive, the slower it gets, so having that extra space will be a good thing.

[quote name='jmbreci']As for the 7200rpm, if the cost is a premium for it, skip it. It is not likely to provide much benefit. For those who take offense to that, look at the word "much". I did not say none, but it is arguable if it provides anything that most people would notice a majority of the time in their PS3.[/QUOTE]
I beg to differ my friend. I have a marked improvement of XMB access times. MW3 loads up the internal friends list without a hiccup now(previously it had a spasm for almost 2 seconds before loading). Beyond that the 1 hour install for GT5 is cut down to 30 minutes, it's essentially equivalent to a RAM upgrade because the firmware is stored on the HDD. 7200 rpm + bigger cache = happy PS3 and happier PS3 owner.

Edit: Also just want to add in, those still using the Phat PS3s won't likely notice as much of an improvement compared to those using Slims. Phat firmware are still stored on the internal flash.

There were some cheap portable drives. I did that with a WD 320GB. I then took my old 60GB HDD in my PS3 and used that in the case.
win win.

The PS3 has a dirt slow SATA controller. I put a SATA 3.0GB/s drive in mine, and noticed no difference, so then I just an old laptop drive I had kicking around and still couldn't notice a difference. That is why you'll see guys who put SSD's in then find that there is barely any speedup.

[quote name='snowsquirrel']The PS3 has a dirt slow SATA controller. I put a SATA 3.0GB/s drive in mine, and noticed no difference, so then I just an old laptop drive I had kicking around and still couldn't notice a difference. That is why you'll see guys who put SSD's in then find that there is barely any speedup.[/QUOTE]Yes the PS3 is SATA 1.5 but putting in a 3.0 drive doesn't mean you put in a better drive than what was already in there. Specs of the HDD matter, platter count and sizes matter, read/write speeds, etc etc.

[quote name='snaponspeed']http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822152289
i got this one pretty cheap imo[/QUOTE]
My only beef with Newegg is how they ship those laptop HDs, mine came bagged in a box but the 3.5" 1TB drive I ordered the week before came in a clamshell and better packaging. I had to warranty the laptop drive consequently and the 3.5 was fine out of the box. The Samsung warranty service was fast enough, sent it in and got another drive in just under 3 weeks.

Hard drive shortages = run-up in prices. I bought an external 3TB WD at Costco for $110 after tax (after $20 instant coupon) which Bestbuy was selling for $250. If you can wait, save your money. Frys might be an option as since they are almost always better at sales pricing than BB.

bread's done
Back