Best Buy 10/25 - 10/31 30% off all regular priced Blu-rays

[quote name='joeyatog']this may be a dumb question....but does anyone know if you can use BB gift cards online? i have a ton of them lying around. this would be a good time to use a few.[/QUOTE]

To answer you question in a non-sarcastic and douche way: Yes, you can use your Best Buy gift cards online. There should be a part on the back that can be scratched away, revealing the gift card's number. When you check out, just click on the link that says something about Gift Cards and you can enter as many of them as you have.

Also, thanks for posting this OP. I picked up about $100 of movies today. I'm most excited about the Rocky Collection I pre-ordered. I had been wanting it for a while, but didn't even know it was coming out, especially so soon. Thanks to whoever it was that posted about it earlier in the thread.

Star Trek TOS Season 3 for $55.99...$20 cheaper than Amazon.

Another Star Trek deal is saving $10 if you buy the new movie and another select Star Trek title.

Ex.
Star Trek $20.99 and Star Trek First Contact $17.49 if purchased together become $15.99 and $12.49 respectively.

Also, are any other Silver Reward members having trouble getting free shipping on their orders? I keep getting charged shipping on all the $20.99 pre-orders I'm trying to make.

Last edited by a moderator:
I got The Green Mile and Ghost in the Shell 2.0 today. Surprisingly, they imbued me with super powers, which I know plan to use to save the world.

Is this a good price for The Green Mile? Or will Amazon probably beat it by having it at $19.99 with free shipping, no tax? Kinda torn on what to do with this one...

There's no telling when Amazon will even get it. Plus once they do, it may not be the digibook version. So yeah, it's a good price unless you don't mind waiting indefinitely.

[quote name='gothamcentral79']I picked up Akira for $24 since it's never on sale anywhere and usually goes for $35-40.[/QUOTE]

What version was it? Best Buy shows it as I think the first issue one that is now hard to find. For this price if it is I might double dip and pick it up and ghost in the shell 2.0. I know ghost in the shell has different visuals than the one on dvd but other then that is their anything different other than an upgrade in audio and video in both of them? Are their extras that are on the dvds that are not on the blurays?

Akira review:
http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Akira-Blu-ray-Review/1872/

The first pressing comes with a booklet and a slipcover that are absent from subsequent pressings.

e588c8d074feb0c8_large.jpg

Actual special features on the disc are the same and quite sparse. That's probably because Akira's Japanese soundtrack is encoded in a way that fills up way more of the disc than other movies' soundtracks. It's supposed to sound phenomenal (I haven't watched mine yet).

Definitely going to get The Green Mile during this sale. I want to pre-order Leon as well, but I want to see the reviews first; hmmm...

[quote name='sendme']What version was it? Best Buy shows it as I think the first issue one that is now hard to find. For this price if it is I might double dip and pick it up and ghost in the shell 2.0. I know ghost in the shell has different visuals than the one on dvd but other then that is their anything different other than an upgrade in audio and video in both of them? Are their extras that are on the dvds that are not on the blurays?[/QUOTE]

Mine did not come with the slipcover. Although I have seen the slipcover version at other best buys recently.

Kinda went more than I wanted to spend, but I did some holiday shopping with this deal.

My Name is Earl Season 4 - $34.99
Shawn of the Dead - $13.99
Star Trek (2 copies) - $20.99 each
Inglorious Basterds - $20.99

-$10.00 RZ Coupon
Total: $110.11

Strange that for the Star Trek pre-order that I couldn't select my local Best Buy of 10 minutes. Instead I had the option for the one that is 25 minutes away. Oh well, this was a good deal.

I can't justify the preorders as tax + shipping brings it close enough to Amazon's prices already.

I will however go check out the store to grab the new seasons of a few shows I've been waiting for to go on sale.

[quote name='Friend of Sonic']Will all Best Buys have the older version of Akira or is this going to be a case of hunting for it?[/QUOTE]It's a case of hunting for it, since four BB's that I called didn't have the first-run version with the slipcover.

[quote name='DestroVega']so it said new releases don't count, but pre-orders do??[/QUOTE]
you got it! amazon is the other way around, pre-order don't count but new releases do. maybe i'm wrong.

[quote name='lolwut?']Definitely going to get The Green Mile during this sale. I want to pre-order Leon as well, but I want to see the reviews first; hmmm...[/QUOTE]
i watched many times. i say go for it! Also this may not have special features where they interview natallie portman in 10 years later after the movie was made.

It's more a matter of having ~15 of expendible cash rather than a transfer issue. I'd rather put the 15 towards my Amazon pre-order of Up and Monsters Inc.

I did pick up The Green Mile though; it rang up at $20.99. There was one copy left at the West Hartford, CT location

[quote name='shrike4242']It's a case of hunting for it, since four BB's that I called didn't have the first-run version with the slipcover.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I see what you mean. I tried three and failed. I called a fourth store, who looked up Akira and saw it said they had one copy and that it "probably" meant that they didn't have any in stock. I asked her why and she told me it's just always like that. Then I asked what happens when they really only have one in stock, what the computer would say. I had to ask and rephrase my question three times for her to answer "It would probably say 1... ... or 2." Wow, so for Best Buy having one item in stock, it could say they have two in stock? O_O

I had to practically beg her to check the shelf and explain 60 times that I was looking for the first print. She finally checked and it didn't matter anyway, normal version. :bomb:

Another store said they had the slipcover version and put it on hold. And then when I was in the parking lot (this store was about 15 minutes out of the way) he called me saying it wasn't the slip cover version and he told me it was because of what the description said. I fuckING ASKED YOU TWO OR THREE TIMES AND VERIFIED WITH YOU THAT YOU WERE GOING TO ACTUALLY CHECK THE BLU RAY PRIOR TO ME COMING TO STORE.

Goddammit Best Buy pisses me off sometimes.

[quote name='Friend of Sonic']Yeah, I see what you mean. I tried three and failed. I called a fourth store, who looked up Akira and saw it said they had one copy and that it "probably" meant that they didn't have any in stock. I asked her why and she told me it's just always like that. Then I asked what happens when they really only have one in stock, what the computer would say. I had to ask and rephrase my question three times for her to answer "It would probably say 1... ... or 2." Wow, so for Best Buy having one item in stock, it could say they have two in stock? O_O

I had to practically beg her to check the shelf and explain 60 times that I was looking for the first print. She finally checked and it didn't matter anyway, normal version. :bomb:

Another store said they had the slipcover version and put it on hold. And then when I was in the parking lot (this store was about 15 minutes out of the way) he called me saying it wasn't the slip cover version and he told me it was because of what the description said. I fuckING ASKED YOU TWO OR THREE TIMES AND VERIFIED WITH YOU THAT YOU WERE GOING TO ACTUALLY CHECK THE BLU RAY PRIOR TO ME COMING TO STORE.

Goddammit Best Buy pisses me off sometimes.[/QUOTE]I know I've said this bunches of times, though if the item is showing as available for in-store pickup, there's 3+ of them showing up in RSS. Otherwise, there's 0-2 copies in-stock.

I don't know why you had any issues with someone not knowing what they're seeing in RSS, since RSS is updated in real-time with that store's inventory. If they are showing 1 copy, then there's 1 unsold copy in that store, even if it's in someone's hands on the way to the register.

To get them to understand what version I was looking for, I told them to check to see if it was "black" or "white". That seemed to work best.

There's only one other store around my area that might have it, and any other stores for me would be a way's out of the way. Only if they confirmed they had it would I drive out of the way to pick it up.

Just an honest question, why do people care about the slipcovers? I just throw them out... I do agree the Akira slipcover makes for a better cover, but it still is something I would toss... haha.

[quote name='DestroVega']Just an honest question, why do people care about the slipcovers? I just throw them out... I do agree the Akira slipcover makes for a better cover, but it still is something I would toss... haha.[/QUOTE]

It's not the slipcover they want, it's the booklet that only came with the 1st printing.

For me, though, I collect and keep everything. Including the sticker at the top of the case.

[quote name='DestroVega']Just an honest question, why do people care about the slipcovers? I just throw them out... I do agree the Akira slipcover makes for a better cover, but it still is something I would toss... haha.[/QUOTE]

IMO it's a matter of completeness. If the game/movie came with a slipcover originally and it's not included, then it's not complete.

Plus most of them look cool and add a unique factor to the movie.

So that's how to tell if it's a first run version of Akira? I've never seen one with a slipcover

[quote name='FadeToOne']I can't justify the preorders as tax + shipping brings it close enough to Amazon's prices already.

I will however go check out the store to grab the new seasons of a few shows I've been waiting for to go on sale.[/QUOTE]

or you can order online with instore pickup and not pay shipping.;)

[quote name='iNCREDiPiNOY']FYI, Amazon is now matching BB 30% off sales including pre-orders! :D[/QUOTE]

haven't matched rocky undisputed collection yet...

bread's done
Back