Best Buy-120GB 360 Harddrive $129

[quote name='mtxbass1']ripped from fatwallet?[/quote]

No I mean charging customers $129 for a 120GB hd. I can pick up a 500GB hd for $100 at newegg. How can they justify that? Just because their logo is on it?

Guess it just me being a cheapass.

I bought one of these from a Best Buy store on March 14, and I've still got the receipt. According to their site, they'll match the price. Has anyone had any success with this?

[quote name='nuttyturnip']I bought one of these from a Best Buy store on March 14, and I've still got the receipt. According to their site, they'll match the price. Has anyone had any success with this?[/quote]

Yeah dude, it'll work fine. Just head on over to the customer service desk

[quote name='mrrepoman']No I mean charging customers $129 for a 120GB hd. I can pick up a 500GB hd for $100 at newegg. How can they justify that? Just because their logo is on it?

Guess it just me being a cheapass.[/quote]

PS2 mem cards is $25 per pair still, and they are only 8Mb each.

[quote name='darkclawsofchaos']PS2 mem cards is $25 per pair still, and they are only 8Mb each.[/QUOTE]

A better comparison would be PS3, and you can switch out the hdd yourself.

[quote name='psychoxfoo']Yeah dude, it'll work fine. Just head on over to the customer service desk[/quote]

What about buying one online?

edit: Price Guarantee language online is kind of weird. I just called and they said they wouldn't do it on the phone but I could bring my receipt and "at least the box" and they might refund it. Guess I'll pop in tomorrow and try my luck.

At the price MS gets these HD's in mass amounts, they should be $50 tops. What a freakin' jip, even at $130.

I spent $50 (after $20 rebate with FREE shipping) for a 320 GB hard drive that I am going to swap into my PS3, so as you might imagine I almost fell out of my chair hearing the hard drive price. I know that Sony takes a lot of heat for the price of the PS3 vs the 360, but man once you start calculating total lifetime cost of ownership (base + WiFi + Hard Drive + Online Play Fee each year or lack thereof + Blue-Ray player) I'm a little confused why the PS3 is in third place.

[quote name='mmazurik']I spent $50 (after $20 rebate with FREE shipping) for a 320 GB hard drive that I am going to swap into my PS3, so as you might imagine I almost fell out of my chair hearing the hard drive price. I know that Sony takes a lot of heat for the price of the PS3 vs the 360, but man once you start calculating total lifetime cost of ownership (base + WiFi + Hard Drive + Online Play Fee each year or lack thereof + Blue-Ray player) I'm a little confused why the PS3 is in third place.[/QUOTE]

The Wii is also fairly expensive because of all the bullshit peripherals that only work on a handful of games. Motion Plus or whatever is the newest example.

OT, MS needs to step up and allow larger HDDs.

This pricing of the Hard Drive only hurts Microsoft. I only have a 20GB drive. Therefore I have limited space to buy XBL stuff so you know what I keep my money because the price the the drive needs to be at least under $100.

Microsoft did good in their bargain offering of 20GB drives to arcade owners. I wish they could offer similar value to those who shelled out $100 more for 20GB Premium/Pro systems. I'd easily drop $30 to jump to 60GB or $50 to jump to 120GB.

[quote name='capnrico']What about buying one online?

edit: Price Guarantee language online is kind of weird. I just called and they said they wouldn't do it on the phone but I could bring my receipt and "at least the box" and they might refund it. Guess I'll pop in tomorrow and try my luck.[/QUOTE]

If you bought it from Best Buy, they should PM bestbuy.com with absolutely NO complaint. If they give you any crap, talk to a manager. If they still give you crap, call the customer service number while you're standing there. This is absolutely within their policy.

If you bought from Bestbuy.com, and are PMing with Bestbuy.com, your best option would probably be to call Best Buy's customer service (the 888-bestbuy or 800-bestbuy, I never remember which it is)

If you did an in-store pickup, they should still allow you to do a return/rebuy. Some stores/csrs lately seem absolutely oblivious that this is possible but hopefully you get a good csr who knows what they're doing.

OR if you don't want to deal with any of this, order it online for in-store pickup and then return it with the original receipt. (might work best if you can do that in 2 trips so it's not blatantly obvious what you're doing)

[quote name='opportunity777']OT, MS needs to step up and allow larger HDDs.[/quote]

Tell me about it. Ever since NXE, my drive has been filling up quick. I shouldn't have to decide what games to delete and then have to re-install them later. What a hassle. Let us get a large drive in there.

LOL, Wow I never knew people were so bitchy (for lack of better words) on the subject.

And there is a way you can use a regular external HDD for the 360 w/o modding or anything, I thought the HDD was proprietary.

[quote name='MidnightMetal']LOL, Wow I never knew people were so bitchy (for lack of better words) on the subject.

And there is a way you can use a regular external HDD for the 360 w/o modding or anything, I thought the HDD was proprietary.[/quote]

You can use an external hard drive for viewing pictures and listening to MP3s, but that's about it. You can't do anything remotely useful with one. You need an official, overpriced MS hard drive to store 360 content.

I just have to rub it in... I got one of those 320GB hard drives for $50 for my ps3. That ps3 is looking more and more like a deal when compared to the box.

Ordered one for in store pickup, used $95 in reward zone certificates. I had been waiting for a price drop on this, $20 is enough to make me bite!

Now I will be able to actually install more than one game, while having room to still download stuff...

[quote name='fatboyjam']Microsoft did good in their bargain offering of 20GB drives to arcade owners. I wish they could offer similar value to those who shelled out $100 more for 20GB Premium/Pro systems. I'd easily drop $30 to jump to 60GB or $50 to jump to 120GB.[/quote]

seriously... why are they rewarding the people who bought the lowest priced SKU, and screwing the people over that spend 400 on a 20 gig premium.

i guess the answer is because they can.

regardless, i'd be happy to pay 50 bucks for a 120GB, or any reasonable price really.

For those of you complaining about the price, but want one anyway, check this out:

http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=73822

Just drop the never ending 10% coupon and an Edge 10% and suddenly you have a less expensive 120 GB. Granted its used but hey, odds are the person who had it just traded it in because either A. the xbox they had croaked and they got pissed B. they bought an Elite or something that had another 120 GB so to make some money back they traded it in C. They traded everything in because they just didnt play the system and needed $$$

[quote name='Justin42']If you bought it from Best Buy, they should PM bestbuy.com with absolutely NO complaint. If they give you any crap, talk to a manager. If they still give you crap, call the customer service number while you're standing there. This is absolutely within their policy.

If you bought from Bestbuy.com, and are PMing with Bestbuy.com, your best option would probably be to call Best Buy's customer service (the 888-bestbuy or 800-bestbuy, I never remember which it is)

If you did an in-store pickup, they should still allow you to do a return/rebuy. Some stores/csrs lately seem absolutely oblivious that this is possible but hopefully you get a good csr who knows what they're doing.

OR if you don't want to deal with any of this, order it online for in-store pickup and then return it with the original receipt. (might work best if you can do that in 2 trips so it's not blatantly obvious what you're doing)[/quote]

Thanks. I went in today, the chick was cool, she didn't hesitate at all. She said she couldn't price match that specific item, because it was a .com purchase, but she would look at my purchase history and find something that I had bought in store in the last 30 days, and just go back and "price match" it, and refund me the 20 bucks there. I ended up just buying Street Fighter 4 and getting 20 bucks off of it instead.

[quote name='capnrico']Thanks. I went in today, the chick was cool, she didn't hesitate at all. She said she couldn't price match that specific item, because it was a .com purchase, but she would look at my purchase history and find something that I had bought in store in the last 30 days, and just go back and "price match" it, and refund me the 20 bucks there. I ended up just buying Street Fighter 4 and getting 20 bucks off of it instead.[/QUOTE]

Same experience for me. I went in with my receipt, and the printout from the website, and the clerk didn't bat an eye. Finally, a good experience at BB with price matching!

bread's done
Back