Best Buy: 1600 Xbox Live Marketplace Points $15 after GGC

D. Monic

CAGiversary!
If you missed out on the Outpost deal, or you're just pissed that your order status is now "backordered," I noticed today that 1600 XBox Live Marketplace points dropped to $19.99 at Best Buy, or $14.99 after GGC. Normally, Best Buy sells them above MSRP at $24.99, which sucks.

I swear these were $24.99 when I checked the web site yesterday. But when I was at the store today, they were marked $19.99. So this is a very recent, and most likely temporary, price reduction. Obviously, you'll want to grab these B&M to use the GGC, but here's the link to the site so you can keep tabs on the price, in case it goes back up.

Linky

Note: In the Outpost thread, mkelehan mentioned that these aren't in Best Buy's system as video game accessories, so you may need a manager override to use the GGC. However, since these are clearly categorized under "XBox 360 Accessories" on the Web site, I'd recommend printing the page and taking it with you. I doubt they'll give you much hassle.

Good luck.

are we sure that 1600 pts for 19.99 isnt a permanent price drop? I noticed the 1600 pt cards at gamestop last night were 19.99 as well.

[quote name='Spatchmo']are we sure that 1600 pts for 19.99 isnt a permanent price drop? I noticed the 1600 pt cards at gamestop last night were 19.99 as well.[/quote]

Up until Best Buy lowered their price, every store sold them at the suggested retail of $19.99.

[quote name='Spatchmo']are we sure that 1600 pts for 19.99 isnt a permanent price drop? I noticed the 1600 pt cards at gamestop last night were 19.99 as well.[/QUOTE]
Actually, the regular price of these is $19.99 pretty much anywhere but Best Buy, which usually sells them for $24.99. I've always suspected that Best Buy sold them for $5 more to combat the GGC, but perhaps I'm over-estimating our CAG influence on company policy.

In any case, Best Buy has lowered these to $19.99 in the past, only to raise them back to $24.99, which seems to be their price 90% of the time. So I wouldn't count on this being a permanent price drop at Best Buy, though I suppose it's possible. If you want 'em for $15 each after GGC, I'd definitely get them now, just in case.

MS wouldn't change the price, it just would make no sense. It's buying money, essentially. If they lower the cost, they'd have to lower the value.

[quote name='D. Monic']

Note: In the Outpost thread, mkelehan mentioned that these aren't in Best Buy's system as video game accessories, so you may need a manager override to use the GGC. However, since these are clearly categorized under "XBox 360 Accessories" on the Web site, I'd recommend printing the page and taking it with you. I doubt they'll give you much hassle.

Good luck.[/quote]

I had no problem with the ggc and getting it for $15.00. It went right thru, no need to haggle/talk to manager/get override.

[quote name='ryanbph']I had no problem with the ggc and getting it for $15.00. It went right thru, no need to haggle/talk to manager/get override.[/QUOTE]
They must've changed it in the system, then. Good, that'll make things easier.

Picked one up, might pick up another before the week is over (Had to limit myself to one, we bought the 360 and all the accessories and such we needed and had barely enough cash to cover it-- Had to put 18 cents on my debit card. Haha.). Worked just fine with the GGC but I did have other things so I'm not 100% which one it took the $5 off of.

That being said, I only found one card left when I was there, so it's possibly sold out at my store. Hopefully the price holds out for another week.

I finally got to BB today myself. I got two and the GGC worked without a hassle. Time to cancel my Outpost orders.

Yep, yesterday I got mine, then I walked across the street and pre-ordered Battle for Middle Earth 2 at GameStop. (I hate those pre-order Nazis, but damn if Im not going to get those 3 exclusive preorder maps).

i have never done this before, so..

if i want 2 of them, i would go in there and buy two gamer gift cards with, say, 5 dollars on em each. do they have to be xbox specific game cards?

then i would leave, walk back in and buy one point card with each ggc?

or can i do it all at once?

thanks

The three BB's I chked around here didn't have any more, even though the system showed 2 on one store, 4 on another, and 6 on another one. Oh well.

[quote name='orntar']i have never done this before, so..

if i want 2 of them, i would go in there and buy two gamer gift cards with, say, 5 dollars on em each. do they have to be xbox specific game cards?

then i would leave, walk back in and buy one point card with each ggc?

or can i do it all at once?
[/QUOTE]

I've found it's best to do two trips to the register. One to buy the cards. One to use the coupons on games/accessories.

Don't buy the XBox specific card. There's a blue Gamer Gift Card that works on games and accessories $19.99 and over for all systems. That's the one you want. They usually keep it in the Games section. Look hard. Sometimes it's on the racks with the games. Sometimes it's hanging from a peg somewhere.

If you don't see it in the games section, then check the front of the store where the other gift cards are.

I'm a little worred the price might go back to $24.99 tomorrow, but I guess we'll find out.

Just got back from the Chicago, IL Best Buy where the Point Cards were labeled as $24.99 but rang up as $19.99. Too bad I'll have to go get another card later this week since I'm down to 400 points already.

yeah, i forgot to cancel my outpost deal since i had gone and purchased a couple at my local bestbuy.

however, i got my shipping confirmation so its too late for me to cancel. i guess i could always use a few more points.

Yeah my Outpost order just shipped as well. It shipped just as I got back from Best Buy. If anyone's interested, I'll have 4 extra 1600 Point cards when I receive the order. I am willing to sell or trade, and can either mail the card or just PM you the codes. My luck is terrible...

[quote name='orntar']im still interested in some codes...[/QUOTE]

When my Outpost order arrives I'll let you know.

[quote name='D. Monic']If you missed out on the Outpost deal, or you're just pissed that your order status is now "backordered," I noticed today that 1600 XBox Live Marketplace points dropped to $19.99 at Best Buy, or $14.99 after GGC. Normally, Best Buy sells them above MSRP at $24.99, which sucks.

I swear these were $24.99 when I checked the web site yesterday. But when I was at the store today, they were marked $19.99. So this is a very recent, and most likely temporary, price reduction. Obviously, you'll want to grab these B&M to use the GGC, but here's the link to the site so you can keep tabs on the price, in case it goes back up.

Linky

Good luck.[/QUOTE]

Do these things expire?

I'll be getting a 360 later this year. Could I buy one of these know and hold on to it without fear that it would expire?

[quote name='sigloiv']I'm sorry if this is a complete n00b question, but what's GGC?[/quote]

Finally, someone typed it out !!! Gamer gift card. Thank you Orntar!

Thanks for the idea OP. I picked up two 1600 point cards, and two extra GGCs, so I can pick up a couple more next time I'm at Best Buy.

I also picked one up today. Not a bad deal at all. My BB was also out of the GGC's for some time, but they had loads today. I'll be going back and getting a handful some time this week. I find it's easier to load up on them early, with a few bucks on each, and then just have them availalbe when something comes up.

I'm stocked for the summer XBLA Wednesdays now. :)

[quote name='morpheus_49017']My BB was also out of the GGC's for some time, but they had loads today.[/QUOTE]
My BBs were out for a long time, too. And then it took me forever to find the things today. But once I did, I found tons, LOL.

I picked up one today in Citrus Heights, CA, no problem. Pretty sweet deal, now I just need to get a 12 month Live card for when my 360 from Overstock gets here :)

[quote name='Freshone']I picked up one today in Citrus Heights, CA, no problem. Pretty sweet deal, now I just need to get a 12 month Live card for when my 360 from Overstock gets here :)[/QUOTE]

The TRU in Roseville, CA has Crimson Skies + 12 months of Live for $30. Perhaps the Citrus Heights has them too. It's possible they might have the old 12 month Live cards also - those are $20. Either way, it's a much better deal than paying $50 to get a year of Live for your new 360.

Picked mine up today, went flawless. They were sort of hiding the GGC's in the game section. Also, the 1600 points were marked for $24.99, but Ring up as $19.99 - $5 :) :)

I tried this out couple days ago with no problem at all. Went to Best Buy and checked to see if they even had the Xbox points first, and then grabbed a card that were placed up by the registers. Put $10 on the card, paid and then left the store. Went to Circut City and bought Kameo for $20, then went back into Best Buy (took roughly 30 minutes) to get the points. Took the coupon, card, and giftcard up to the register (diffferent one from before) and the guy just ran everything through. Paid like $15.89 total.

Thanks for the info about this little coupon thing. Used 800 points buying the Cloning Clyde game on Xbox Arcade.

I'm going to try and get one next time I'm up by Best Buy so I can pay for SFII. Last time, the cashier just ripped the coupon out of the GGC, so I hope I'm that lucky again :D.

I just used the Gamer Gift Card coupon scans someone posted on here to get two 1600 point cards and Tetris DS for $25. The scan didn't work for any of the cashiers, but they typed in the number under the bar code and didn't question it once. I told them that it was an internet coupon that I'd printed on my crappy printer when the scan didn't work. They didn't care.

Don't bother buying the card. Go here and print the sheet full of coupons.

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73&page=15&highlight=Gamer+gift+card

Then go wild.

well I got 55 dollars in reward zone coupons from buying my TV. Maybe this is what i'll spend it on... if I can find a damn GGC

I doubt copies would work considering how anal my BB is.

The thing is my BB doesn't even have any more gamer gift cards, they pulled them and when I went to the customer service counter asking if they had any or they would be getting any more the lady told me ... that they were all "expired"..

House of lies..

[quote name='TyranT']The thing is my BB doesn't even have any more gamer gift cards, they pulled them and when I went to the customer service counter asking if they had any or they would be getting any more the lady told me ... that they were all "expired"..

House of lies..[/QUOTE]
Exactly, lies. The old cards did expire, but the new ones that are out there expire June 2007, I believe (they probably just started coming around in July).

bread's done
Back