Best Buy $5 off $19.99 or higher PC games (PC game GGC)

BattleChicken

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
Seeing as the old GGC was so popular around here, I thought I would mention that there is a PC game version that expires in June '08.

The World of Warcraft gift cards at Best Buy have a $5.00 off $19.99 and up for PC games on the back cardboard. The card itself has night elves on it, and the backing is clearly marked as World of Warcraft. the cardboard is brown, so the card kind of stands out from the rest. While I think the card has been around since July 1, when I tried to use it it wasn't picked up at the register, so it might theoretically be newer than that.

At the BBYs I've been to recently, its in the same place as all the other gift cards.

Nice catch. So you can put like $5 on it, and effectively get $5 free? (Like $10 total)...but it can't be used in the same order as the game, I assume? (So...you can just leave the cashier, walk back to the game, and come back to buy it...do they let you get away with that?!?)

[quote name='Wolfpup']Nice catch. So you can put like $5 on it, and effectively get $5 free? (Like $10 total)...but it can't be used in the same order as the game, I assume? (So...you can just leave the cashier, walk back to the game, and come back to buy it...do they let you get away with that?!?)[/QUOTE]

"Get away with that?"

We've been "getting away with that" for years.

Sweet. I'll have to look for these tonight. I've been wanting to pick up the Immortal Throne addon for Titan Quest after it's price drop.

It's not the true Gamer Gift Card, but it's something.

Thanks OP.

[quote name='Wolfpup']Nice catch. So you can put like $5 on it, and effectively get $5 free? (Like $10 total)...but it can't be used in the same order as the game, I assume? (So...you can just leave the cashier, walk back to the game, and come back to buy it...do they let you get away with that?!?)[/quote]

The way I've customarily done it is pick up a gift card.. have them do two transactions -- $1.00 on the gift card (in cash) and the rest on my bank card.

So, yeah.. $5.00 off for free. on a $20.00 title, thats a 25% discount.

Probably won't be as popular as the original GGC, but I might pick up a couple of these. I can't think of too many PC games I would like to get now or later.

There's a ton of games I'd love, the only real issue is Best Buy is probably more expensive than Gogamer or Amazon (though their selection is good at mine-as large as the PS2, PS3, and 360 sections combined).

I've used a few of these for my WoW time cards in the past. When I had to renew and could find time cards for less than retail, $25 for 2 mo. is not bad. Also, if you do use them for time cards the cashier has to manually overide the price. Apparently WoW time is not considered as a PC game- but most cashiers dont care.
They seriously need to bring the old GGC back, but these are great substitutes for PC gamers

[quote name='lordwow']"Get away with that?"

We've been "getting away with that" for years.[/quote]

I used to put just $1 on them, and "[got] away with that."

Heck, I always just put $15.81 on them as most of the games that I was going to buy were $19.99. That way I was just getting it ready to take care of the game plus tax and simplifying the next transaction.

[quote name='Kirra']I used to put just $1 on them, and "[got] away with that."[/QUOTE]

Yep, I would get like 5 GGC at time and just put $1 on each. If the register jockey ever gave me flack, I just said they were gag gifts. :)

I have even done the two transaction thing when I didn't have card with $ on it and I spotted a game I had been lloking for.

What do you do when you turn around and come back through the line though? I mean it's the same person standing there...

[quote name='Wolfpup']What do you do when you turn around and come back through the line though? I mean it's the same person standing there...[/quote]

I just always say I have two transactions, I never have problems...

I've been using these by the boatload since they launched with Burning Crusade and the GGC coupons were even still around. At least they actually WORK on PC games without requireing the cashier to adjust manually. About 40% of the time they'd just tell me that it doesn't work on PC games. With these, they can't!

I've actually gotten them to put $0.01 on these cards. Then I rip out the coupon, throw away the rest, and go get my game. Really, though, it was more trouble than it was worth and it would have been easier to go with $5...I just wanted to see if they'd do it.

i've had a number of arguments with best buy managers over the ggc. some of them feel like i'm pulling a fast one if i put anything less than 5 bucks on the card. the way i always saw it is if i have the coupon, i'll buy a game from best buy. if i never redeem the coupon, best buy does not discount anything. maybe they lost the 20 cents it cost to produce the card. needless to say, managers love appearing smart, so most never listen to the argument. it came to the point where i stopped bothering with best buy. of course, the whole devil customer thing helped out a bit too.

edit: oh yeah, the worst was when i pointed out that if corporate felt it was a problem, they wouldn't have the computer system allow the coupon to be active immediately, and they would have a nationwide minimum credit to put on the gift card. if the computer allows a penny on the card, corporate feels a penny is acceptable. bottom line, yes, it does accept 1 cent as a valid gift card amount.

Yeah, there's no reason for them to say no to 1 cent on the card. I don't see why they even complain because a) they have your money on that card and b) if you're going to use the coupon, you're paying Best Buy for something.

Anyways, I got two with $5 each. I'm waiting for a $19.99 price point for Supreme Commander and a less than $49.99 price for The Orange Box. Then, I'm going to not get any PC games until I get a better computer.

[quote name='imacgod']Yeah, there's no reason for them to say no to 1 cent on the card. I don't see why they even complain because a) they have your money on that card and b) if you're going to use the coupon, you're paying Best Buy for something.

Anyways, I got two with $5 each. I'm waiting for a $19.99 price point for Supreme Commander and a less than $49.99 price for The Orange Box. Then, I'm going to not get any PC games until I get a better computer.[/QUOTE]

If i was a buisness i would certainly say no to 1 cent.

You want guaranteed money as a company, and 1 cent isnt enough to even cover the manafacturing cost of the card + to pay whatever credit company that keeps the records on the gift card for you.

Just do what I do with gamer gift cards. Put 5 bucks on 3 of them. Tell them some story while you are buying like; "ya its for a content at work" or something so no one gets suspecious. Your going to spend the 15 bucks anyway on one game, so you may as well as spread it out and make it look less dodgy then it is.

Does anyone know if the 10% off, or 12% off with RZ membership thing includes PC games? It does say computer software tho.

[quote name='thingsfallnapart']If i was a buisness i would certainly say no to 1 cent.

You want guaranteed money as a company, and 1 cent isnt enough to even cover the manafacturing cost of the card + to pay whatever credit company that keeps the records on the gift card for you.

Just do what I do with gamer gift cards. Put 5 bucks on 3 of them. Tell them some story while you are buying like; "ya its for a content at work" or something so no one gets suspecious. Your going to spend the 15 bucks anyway on one game, so you may as well as spread it out and make it look less dodgy then it is.[/QUOTE]

I agree, since you have to spend $15 anyways, why put just 1 cent? Are you investing that money, or just afraid you may never use it?

Maybe I will use one of these to pick up Rainbow Six Vegas, since it just dropped to $19.99.

[quote name='miriamleo']I haven't use GGC for a long time, do they still exist?[/QUOTE]
No, but the WoW PC game cards/coupons are EVERYWHERE.

[quote name='Max Spider X']Does anyone know if the 10% off, or 12% off with RZ membership thing includes PC games? It does say computer software tho.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, it's always covered all games.

[quote name='msdmoney']I agree, since you have to spend $15 anyways, why put just 1 cent?[/quote]
Well, like I said, I was just seeing if they'd do it. You're going to spend the money anyhow, though, so might as well put at least $5 on it. Saves the hassle of getting a manager to approve the $0.01 gift card.

I picked one up today, put $15.81 on it and bought the Titan Quest expansion with the coupon in the next transaction. Easy as could be.

[quote name='lordwow']"Get away with that?"

We've been "getting away with that" for years.[/QUOTE]

Usually I just have them ring it up first, rip it open as I pay then hand it back to him.

Oh, and at least it used to give you double reward zone points since you got them for the gc and the game.

bread's done
Back