Best Buy canceled my Black Friday orders [Mass Marketing Internet Fraud Scam issued]

[quote name='DarkRider23']You should probably read the terms of service or all the legal notices on their website that you agreed to at one point before you start trying to be internet-lawyer.[/QUOTE]

Perhaps you don't quite understand the situation.

I ordered 5 things from Best Buy.

1 of them charged, shipped, showed-up just fine.
1 of them doesn't show in my orders at all. Can't cancel it. Can't check the status of it. Searching for the specific order number results in an error.
1 item was charged then back-ordered and then canceled and the money was refunded.
2 of the items have been charged and canceled but the money was not refunded.

So I should read the totally non-binding TOS and find the place where it says that Best Buy can steal my money right?

edit: And just so people know: I've called them and their response is that once an order is canceled then they can't do anything about it.

[quote name='Fell Open Ian']Perhaps you don't quite understand the situation.

I ordered 5 things from Best Buy.

1 of them charged, shipped, showed-up just fine.
1 of them doesn't show in my orders at all. Can't cancel it. Can't check the status of it. Searching for the specific order number results in an error.
1 item was charged then back-ordered and then canceled and the money was refunded.
2 of the items have been charged and canceled but the money was not refunded.

So I should read the totally non-binding TOS and find the place where it says that Best Buy can steal my money right?

edit: And just so people know: I've called them and their response is that once an order is canceled then they can't do anything about it.[/QUOTE]

I bet after a few days the authorizations for the cancelled items disappear from your credit card/bank account :whee:

[quote name='whoknows']I bet after a few days the authorizations for the cancelled items disappear from your credit card/bank account :whee:[/QUOTE]

Those two purchases were made on Black Friday.

[quote name='whoknows']And when you asked BB about a refund for those two things, they said what?[/QUOTE]

Once an order is canceled they can't do anything with it. (I called three seperate times and talked to three different people and all of them said the same...it's their policy)

I've already contacted the CC company and filed a BBB complaint.

Like I said, this wasn't just some snafu with stock but rather them charging me for something which they never intended to deliver and then sitting on that ill-gotten money for nearly a month now.

That's a good step above just being idiots and canceling orders because they have no clue how to manage an inventory. It's actual theft/fraud and people should be aware of it.

[quote name='Fell Open Ian']Once an order is canceled they can't do anything with it. (I called three seperate times and talked to three different people and all of them said the same...it's their policy)
[/QUOTE]

Sounds like that would be as far as getting your orders again at that price. Sounds like there's some miscommunication on someones end, because if you say that your two orders were cancelled and you have yet to see a refund I highly doubt they'd tell you too bad.

i placed an order for black ops on black friday and it was backordered. Somehow i never got a shipping confirmation e-mail until the start of this week and it claimed that it was backordered. Anyway, i dont' have a problem with that, the problem was that in my bank account, they witholded 3x times the price of the game. $16. So around $48 dollars i didn't have access to because of this mistake instead of 16. Either way today i see that i have access to those funds again, which lets me guess that my order has been canceled but i have not received an e-mail.

The other problem i had was for the Flingmaster/Kirbys Epic Yarn deal. I plaed my order around 10 PM PST and i thought to myself... if its available in-store then do it. I did place them for pick up, cause the website showed that it was actually on stock, and i was a happy camper. I got confirmation for my order 5 minutes later. But no pick-up time mail was sent. The next morning i see that i was sent an e-mail claiming that the items i ordered were not in the store and i was screwed since the items were sold out online. And the $17 i "payed" are still on hold, and i have no access to them.

I support your suit OP.

If they ever, ever stock these games again, it is fraud, and I guarantee everyone who is doubtful, at that point someone would have a suit that would be worth filing. Anyways, I guess I am getting a gift card for my troubles, but my case was a little extreme, so I don't know if it helps anyone else.

[quote name='whoknows']No they're not.[/QUOTE]

Well, good luck with that if you're in business.

[quote name='therealdanhill']If they ever, ever stock these games again, it is fraud, and I guarantee everyone who is doubtful, at that point someone would have a suit that would be worth filing. Anyways, I guess I am getting a gift card for my troubles, but my case was a little extreme, so I don't know if it helps anyone else.[/QUOTE]

It is not fraud. You're a moron if you think otherwise.

[quote name='Fell Open Ian']2 of the items have been charged and canceled but the money was not refunded.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Fell Open Ian']Once an order is canceled they can't do anything with it. (I called three seperate times and talked to three different people and all of them said the same...it's their policy)

I've already contacted the CC company and filed a BBB complaint.[/QUOTE]

Depending on how far you take this your situation could be one of the things that causes Best Buy to change how they operate whether it be not charging people until they ship an item, stopping this "your order is cancelled I can't help you" garbage response or implementing a system where people can only place orders until an item is sold out. I think that's my main aggravation with all of this is that things could be handled so much better by a company that should know how to operate at this point but clearly doesn't.

[quote name='KingofOldSchool']It is not fraud. You're a moron if you think otherwise.[/QUOTE]
Well, no need for name calling. Let's try to keep this as mature as possible, ok? Anyways;

They sell game at sale price
They cancel orders because they are not restocking the items
They restock the items

What would be a better term than fraud, in your educated opinion?

I have some free time at work and I just wanted to elaborate on what I said above about Best Buy implementing a system where people can only place orders until an item is out of stock.

A few years back I started a designer clothing company that I ran with my friend. He created and ran the website and handled customer service as well as shipping while I handled sales, merchandise and advertising as well as dealing with our supplier. Everything ran extremely smooth with the divided responsibilities. We made it a point to respond to customers emails the same day and kept everything simple so there would never be a system that would cause us to tell someone that we couldn't help them like Best Buy has been doing with these cancelled orders.

When we had a sale on something for example a shirt we knew how many we had in stock. Say we had 50 of this one shirt and half way through the first day of a week long sale we had already sold 20 of them. What I would do is contact our supplier and see if I could get my hands on another 50. If I could I would have them shipped to us immediately and then I'd tell my friend to bump the number up to 100 total for the sale on our end so our website would allow 100 shirts to be sold before showing out of stock and not allowing any more purchases of that particular item.

We were a two man operation making thousands of dollars a month not a huge corporation like Best Buy making millions of dollars a month. If we could make it so that once our stock was sold out that it didn't go into some back order system which then charged our customers and then cancelled their orders two to three weeks later... then Best Buy can do the same thing. The only reason they don't is so that if they get more of a particular item back in stock they can sell it to the people on that back order list. I don't know about anyone else but I've always had my back orders from Best Buy cancelled so I think they need to change their system. And back ordered doesn't mean orders with the "ships in how many ever weeks" disclaimer when you place it, that's completely different.

Best Buy has had a lot of great sales since Black Friday week but they've also upset a lot of people in the process. Obviously the cancelling of back orders while still charging people is the biggest but there are a lot of things I think they could have done better. You may ask yourself how companies that are run so poorly are still in business, well just look what happened to Circuit City and Best Buy certainly seems to be headed in that direction according to all the business reports that came out recently. We just have to hope that when Best Buy finally does go under that we will still get good sales from Amazon who will have even less competition then.

Last edited by a moderator:
As another wrinkle to the story; I woke up this morning to an email saying that the phantom game which never showed up on my account has magically shipped.

Realize that I told them specifically to cancel that item and even went so far as to make a specific dispute for that payment with the CC company.

So Best Buy, in all of their grand knowledge and despite being specifically told to do the opposite, has sent me a game where the charge has already been reversed.

Their idiocy is beyond measure.

[quote name='whoknows']When were they cancelled?[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Fell Open Ian']11/26/2011[/QUOTE]

I'm willing to bet that you are not being entirely honest. I placed two orders on 11/24; one for the holiday PS3 bundle and one for the Bioshock 2 LE. Both were put on back orders. I was never officially charged (why oh why can't people tell the difference between a pending hold and actually being charged) but as soon as the pending hold fell off Best Buy would renew it.

Finally my order was officially cancelled yesterday (I received an e-mail) and today the funds were freed in my account.

I can say with confidence that any case filed re: this sale will just be a big circle jerk waste of time. Take a deep breath, look at your account again, look at what you ordered, look at your account, look at what you ordered... etc...

I'm willing to bet that

1) you were not charged for items that you did not get. Best Buy doesn't just mysteriously remove items from your order history like you alleged

2) any money that you think you are missing is just and "pending charge" that keeps renewing while the items is backordered and those funds will ever be charged to your account with A) the game is shipped or will be refunded when B) the order is officially cancelled

[quote name='therealdanhill']If they ever, ever stock these games again, it is fraud, and I guarantee everyone who is doubtful, at that point someone would have a suit that would be worth filing. Anyways, I guess I am getting a gift card for my troubles, but my case was a little extreme, so I don't know if it helps anyone else.[/QUOTE]

:roll:

Yup. Ya caught me. My awesome plan to disparage Best Buy is clearly a lie which is now unraveling.:applause:

That's what I do...just make up stories about companies being inept fucktards and then laugh maniacally while petting my also evil cat.:cool:

Later today I'm going to the park and punching toddlers!

[quote name='Fell Open Ian']Yup. Ya caught me. My awesome plan to disparage Best Buy is clearly a lie which is now unraveling.:applause:

That's what I do...just make up stories about companies being inept fucktards and then laugh maniacally while petting my also evil cat.:cool:

Later today I'm going to the park and punching toddlers![/QUOTE]

You forgot the part where you steal their candy.

[quote name='Fell Open Ian']Yup. Ya caught me. My awesome plan to disparage Best Buy is clearly a lie which is now unraveling.:applause:

Later today I'm going to the park and punching toddlers![/QUOTE]

:rofl:

To be fair, my cat is pretty evil.

Also, punching toddlers is awful and ridiculous and I should never have said that. Everyone knows you have to kick them.

I ordered HP & The Deathly Hallows Part 2 BD for $10 on Black Friday at BestBuy.com. It sat backordered for weeks and then was canceled. I was sent an email notifying me of the cancellation with a $10 code off a future purchase. Went on their site and bought the same BD for $13 - the $10 code with in-store pickup. Ended up paying $3.xx for it.

It worked out in the end for me, but I don't mind the BD being backordered. What doesn't make sense is when they cancel it because they won't get any more in stock. Deathly Hallows Part 2 is one of the biggest releases of the year, I'm guessing they'll receive more copies eventually.

[quote name='GBAstar']I'm willing to bet that you are not being entirely honest. I placed two orders on 11/24; one for the holiday PS3 bundle and one for the Bioshock 2 LE. Both were put on back orders. I was never officially charged (why oh why can't people tell the difference between a pending hold and actually being charged) but as soon as the pending hold fell off Best Buy would renew it.

Finally my order was officially cancelled yesterday (I received an e-mail) and today the funds were freed in my account.

I can say with confidence that any case filed re: this sale will just be a big circle jerk waste of time. Take a deep breath, look at your account again, look at what you ordered, look at your account, look at what you ordered... etc...

I'm willing to bet that

1) you were not charged for items that you did not get. Best Buy doesn't just mysteriously remove items from your order history like you alleged

2) any money that you think you are missing is just and "pending charge" that keeps renewing while the items is backordered and those funds will ever be charged to your account with A) the game is shipped or will be refunded when B) the order is officially cancelled[/QUOTE]

It probably is one of those two things. There's definitely bullshit somewhere in his story. I'm going to go with 11/26 was the order date. There is absolutely no way BB is going to tell him tough luck if he didn't get a refund on cancelled orders.

I didnt have probs with my order but just from their facebook page alone is enough to say they over sold what they had and ALOT of people got the runaround and then canceled.

I ordered The Crow Blu-ray from the Pre-Thanksgiving Monday sale and my ordered has been stuck in processing ever since too. I called and they can't move the order to store pick up and was told they don't expect more copies for 90 days. I have no doubts this will be canceled soon too and I'll have to call back and bitch about it again because I paid with a giftcard that was taken from me last week when I used it and zeroed the balance.

[quote name='Thatbusynessman']EDIT (2): I have submitted a complaint to the BBB, as well as IC3 (Internet Crime Complaint Center). This is a Mass Marketing Internet Fraud scam that I'm hoping to turn into a Class Action lawsuit. We as consumers should not be treated so poorly as to be attracted to deals that, in this case, DO NOT EXIST. As far as I'm concerned, this entire situation with BestBuy.com is a scam, and should be brought to the attention of authorities.[/QUOTE]

Can I sue OP for Grand High Idiocy? How about for impersonating an intellectual? Or candy-ass bitchitude?

By the way, all six orders I placed went through...

Troll_Mario_by_Rekall1000.jpg

lol, so they were a shitty retailer. No surprises there. But that doesn't change the fact none of this is even remotely actionable in a court of law like some people in this thread were going on about.

Add another cancelled order to the list:

My oldest BB order joined the other 4 and was just cancelled. Really frustrating since I ordered when the deal originally went live and only bought 1 copy.

The OP's claim of a BBB complaint is a valid one, and if he has a complaint, he can file it with the BBB. They'll pursue it and BB will respond in some manner.

The IC3.gov complaint will get him laughed at, as there's no Internet fraud that occurred. The whole thought that this is a scam is beyond laughable. The OP should stop playing armchair lawyer.

[quote name='whoknows']If you round up to the nearest percent for people affected it's 1%. How can the people who caused this sleep at night?[/QUOTE]

Easy. On top of piles of BB gift cards....bwa ha ha ha ha! :lol:

But seriously, I have no idea...

I'm very pleased with my BB experience this year. 16 of 18 items shipped. Of the remaining 2 they gave me a GC to compensate for it being cancelled and the other one they extended the length of time it can be backordered.

I'm voting 100% for BB as retailer of the year and overall best BF experience.

bread's done
Back