Best Buy clearance blow out. Lots of games reduced in in price on all systems.

So my Tiger Woods '13 Collector's Edition came in the mail yesterday. IN THE fuckING PLASTIC SECURITY CASE. Oh well, 30 seconds and a flat head screwdriver is all I needed to get it out but WTF?!?
What I have notice about 2-3 months ago at my local BB they were making room for the new gen (Xbox One and the PS4) thus sending back the odd games they had in stock and probably you had a lazy employee didn't remove the safety box.

Except you should view this as a test fart before they start REALLY getting rid of current gen games in a couple months. Thats something to be excited for.
Why would they be getting rid of current gen games in a couple of months? Both Sony and MS are supporting their consoles for at least another 2-3 years. Makes no sense for Best Buy to clear out stock for these consoles right now. Did Best Buy announce this or something?

Why would they be getting rid of current gen games in a couple of months? Both Sony and MS are supporting their consoles for at least another 2-3 years. Makes no sense for Best Buy to clear out stock for these consoles right now. Did Best Buy announce this or something?
It's about shelf space and sell through. Sure, 360 and PS3 will be supported and sold and Best Buy will stock stuff. But they're all but certain to further shrink the amount of floor space devoted to the last gen systems. Keeping anything other than evergreen and new titles for them stops making sense in a few months.

It's about shelf space and sell through. Sure, 360 and PS3 will be supported and sold and Best Buy will stock stuff. But they're all but certain to further shrink the amount of floor space devoted to the last gen systems. Keeping anything other than evergreen and new titles for them stops making sense in a few months.
Shelf space? What does shelf space have to do with online clearance sales? Even if Best Buy is cutting back on what games they will stock in store, they will still sell a lot of those games through their website. So you wouldn't see a huge online clearance sale based on cutting shelf space. If anything, this would give you in store sales for the titles they were no longer going to stock in store and in that regard, its really no different than whats been taking place the last 7 years as Best Buy doesn't stock many older games in store. All Best Buy stores have to do to cut shelf space is cease placing re-orders for the games they are planning on cutting. Most stores only have a small handful of copies anyways. There would be no reason to have a huge online sale.

Last edited by a moderator:
Shelf space? What does shelf space have to do with massive online clearance sales? Even if Best Buy is cutting back on what games they will stock in store, they will still sell a lot of those games through their website. So you wouldn't see a huge online clearance sale based on cutting shelf space. If anything, this would give you in store sales for the titles they were no longer going to stock in store and in that regard, its really no different than whats been taking place the last 7 years as Best Buy doesn't stock many older games in store. All Best Buy stores have to do to cut shelf space is cease placing re-orders for the games they are planning on cutting. Most stores only have a small handful of copies anyways. There would be no reason to have a huge sale.
Retailers don't usually send lots of floor inventory back to warehouses and just hold it. They clear it down to an acceptable stock level for long tail sales, return it to a distributor, or resell it to a discounter. It's reasonable to expect a combination of in store and online clearance events over the next few months as they draw down 360 and PS3 stock overall in store and at online distro centers.

Just wanted to post and say don't forget to check the game section for clearance when you visit your local store.

They also had (2) :360: Call of Duty: Black Ops II Hardened Editon for $19.99. If anyone is interested I would be willing to grab it and mail it. They also had (2) more :ps3: Zone of Enders and (2) more :psp: Narutos.
You are very LUCKY! my local stores did not do that for years now.

Hey, when you purchase a pre-owned product from Best Buy Online, does it come with the original box?
I picked up 3 things online last week:

PS3 Fallout 3 Disc only in a PS3 case

PS3 All Pro Football 2k8 Disc only in a PS3 case

PS3 Fallout New Vegas Brand new factory sealed with a preowned sticker on top.

You are very LUCKY! my local stores did not do that for years now.
well i got riptide mortis edition for free last year due to that target coupon = ) dragon quest can be found at kmart for 4.99 but that one is YMMv thats where i got mine like 4 months ago, wii u mass effect is 15 on radio shack just go to gamestop and buy 89 cent wii fits and you should get a 25 dollar radioshack gift card that you can use to get that plus other stuff = ) good deals either way thanks for the zone of the enders!! really appreciate it!

So my Tiger Woods '13 Collector's Edition came in the mail yesterday. IN THE fuckING PLASTIC SECURITY CASE. Oh well, 30 seconds and a flat head screwdriver is all I needed to get it out but WTF?!?
Around 10 years ago at Sears I remember buying around 5 cheap clearance games and not really paying attention when buying the games. Back then instead of a glass case for the games each game was in an individual plastic case on a peg. When I started to walk away I noticed the bag felt heavy and saw the cashier didn't remove the plastic cases. I went back to the register and was told the plastic case comes with the game and then had to explain the cashier is supposed to remove the case.

At least if they shipped it with the case, it protected the game during shipment since they don't always ship games that well.

Welp, just took a longgg 3 hour trip exploring every best buy around me and not one of them had any games on clearance. Hell, the clearance prices they had online for those listed stores didn't even apply in the stores which was weird. 

Retailers don't usually send lots of floor inventory back to warehouses and just hold it. They clear it down to an acceptable stock level for long tail sales, return it to a distributor, or resell it to a discounter. It's reasonable to expect a combination of in store and online clearance events over the next few months as they draw down 360 and PS3 stock overall in store and at online distro centers.
So they'd just forget about the millions who won't buy a new console for years?

bread's done
Back