Best Buy deals

A bit off-topic, but I wonder if these strange physical game sale issues people are encountering are a result of retailers probably ordering fewer and fewer copies so trying to get by with what they have, including using returns.

Heard Sony just released a breakdown of their PS5 revenues, and apparently 5% of their sales were from physical games. That's a bad sign for how discs are going to go this generation. Meanwhile, digital sales and microtransactions made up over 50% of revenue.

I'm now really starting to think that the mid-gen refresh this go-around may indeed be for only disc-less systems.

Ugh.

Source: https://www.ign.com/articles/ps5-has-outsold-ps4-in-its-first-fiscal-year-on-sale
I wouldn’t sweat it too much. How many PS5 exclusive games are out there right now? Most PS5 exclusives seem to be digital only indies right now. How many people bought a PS4 version of a game and then upgraded it to the PS5 version? How many PS4 physical games were sold vs digital? There are a lot of things that can skew the numbers, but once we get out of this cross-gen period of time it’ll even out.

A bit off-topic, but I wonder if these strange physical game sale issues people are encountering are a result of retailers probably ordering fewer and fewer copies so trying to get by with what they have, including using returns.

Heard Sony just released a breakdown of their PS5 revenues, and apparently 5% of their sales were from physical games. That's a bad sign for how discs are going to go this generation. Meanwhile, digital sales and microtransactions made up over 50% of revenue.

I'm now really starting to think that the mid-gen refresh this go-around may indeed be for only disc-less systems.

Ugh.

Source: https://www.ign.com/articles/ps5-has-outsold-ps4-in-its-first-fiscal-year-on-sale
I believe it. At my store almost every game outside of Ubisoft stuff and The Show is just 1 or 2 copies at a time. Even Spider-Man is like that and Demon's Souls is always out of stock because Sony never sends any.

I wouldn’t sweat it too much. How many PS5 exclusive games are out there right now? Most PS5 exclusives seem to be digital only indies right now. How many people bought a PS4 version of a game and then upgraded it to the PS5 version? How many PS4 physical games were sold vs digital? There are a lot of things that can skew the numbers, but once we get out of this cross-gen period of time it’ll even out.
Physical media is almost dead. Everyone I know IRL has switched to digital and they think I'm weird for still buying physical. Normies don't care about usage rights, reselling, etc. They look at media as disposable and want convenience over anything. They buy the newest game and move on to the next just like with music and movies and then literally forget about it. They don't discuss it like we do. If you're on this site and are even discussing this then chances are you are not a normie. The average person does not see things the way we do. Look at retail stores, I rarely see anyone in the gaming sections. GS is basically always empty.

Last edited by a moderator:
Burnout Paradise Remastered (Switch) is on sale for $9.99.  Sold out on the website but perhaps some will be available in store.

Breakpoint came in and the outer sleeve is pretty scratched up. Either the shipping was trash or it’s just too old of a game just sitting around for too long. Sadly it came with GameStop’s infamous round sticker but didn’t leave much residue

Breakpoint came in and the outer sleeve is pretty scratched up. Either the shipping was trash or it’s just too old of a game just sitting around for too long. Sadly it came with GameStop’s infamous round sticker but didn’t leave much residue
All of the ubisoft gold steelbooks are sold like that, a tight sleeve over the case with a clear sticker on the top or bottom. I did a store pick up for my copy and couldn't believe it was absolutely pristine. I expected it to be destroyed.

Physical media is almost dead. Everyone I know IRL has switched to digital and they think I'm weird for still buying physical. Normies don't care about usage rights, reselling, etc. They look at media as disposable and want convenience over anything. They buy the newest game and move on to the next just like with music and movies and then literally forget about it. They don't discuss it like we do. If you're on this site and are even discussing this then chances are you are not a normie. The average person does not see things the way we do. Look at retail stores, I rarely see anyone in the gaming sections. GS is basically always empty.
I just don’t understand why people would give up their resell value like that. I sell my games after playing them and when all is said and done I only paid $5-$10 for a game. Sometimes if I bought it on sale I turn a profit. I also don’t understand why the disc version is the version that’s in the most demand if people want to go digital. I could understand if it were BC all the way back to PS1, but it seems like priorities are messed up.

It probably doesn't help that for whatever reason, physical games, or just games in general, rarely get discounted anymore. Even as someone who prefers physical and will sometimes pay more for a physical copy, I completely understand why someone would choose digital over physical if its the same price or even a $5 difference. Physical games used to get discounted anywhere from $10-$20 more than digital, and that just rarely happens anymore excluding BF, which still hasn't been great the last 1-2 years.

Sony exclusives in particular, but triple A games in general are just not getting discounted enough anymore for whatever reason either. Tsushima has been out for close to a year now, and has never gone below $40 AFAIK, other than like the Walmart glitch. TLOU2, even though so many people said it was terrible, hasn't gone below $30 and it's been over a year now.

Even a game like AC:Valhalla hasnt gone below $30. I remember getting AC:Odyssey physically like a little over a month after it came out on BF for $27. If prices continue to be stagnated and continue to have little difference between physical-digital now, then there's no wonder why more people are choosing digital.
I think with AAA games’ budgets being at the levels of some Hollywood movies these days that publishers don’t have as many follow on releases coming down the pike to sell, so they’re holding MSRPs longer. That, and retailers are less incentivized to clear inventory with less things coming out to put on shelves. Seems like a lot of potential reasons

most people just dont think like that man
people i know irl just want convenience
from streaming services to uber eats
its just the sad truth

my coworkers just buy shit like gta and cod. Most western games like that dont hold any resale value at all long term

:( Trying to convince my kids to buy physical, but it's a battle I'm losing.

I think with AAA games’ budgets being at the levels of some Hollywood movies these days that publishers don’t have as many follow on releases coming down the pike to sell, so they’re holding MSRPs longer. That, and retailers are less incentivized to clear inventory with less things coming out to put on shelves. Seems like a lot of potential reasons
That coupled with the supply issues.

I buy physical games for one reason and one reason only. Walmart offers an in-store standard $10 discount on all non-Sony exclusive games from day of release onward. At least in the Minneapolis area. Even then I still buy digital most of the time because if the connivence of not fucking with discs. If that discount ever goes away though, chances are I’ll never buy another physical disc again. PlayStation exclusives are never included in this price reduction.

Edit: Another issue is the amount of space physical discs take up. I have a couple hundred on a rack in the house, but my PlayStation digital library has over 700 games, and my Xbox digital library has 400+. Nintendo doesn’t offer any kind of count. The couple hundred discs I have drive my wife out of her mind because of the clutter, and over the past couple of years it’s started to get to me too. I couldn’t imagine needing to make room for literally another 1100 games in the house.

bread's done
Back