Best Buy DotD 8/22- The Godfather Collection Blu $25

mpaullin

CAGiversary!
Feedback
155 (100%)
Apparently Best Buy will have The Godfather Collection on Blu ray on sale for $24.99 ($25 savings) this Wednesday. Saw this posted on the DotD forum under gaming deals. There's no link to confirm this, but they haven't been wrong yet. I will probably bite on this.

Very much worth the 25. Have had the set for a couple of years. Really great quality.

Too bad it comes with some really shitty third movie...

[quote name='MrshllJcb']Sad to say I've never seen any of these movies. May bite on this on the 22nd[/QUOTE]

Well if a mob movie sounds like something that would be entertaining to you, this is the best there is. If not, it probably won't change your mind. I've heard a lot of people say they don't get why The Godfather is often called the greatest movie of all time, but those people usually have no interest in the plot to begin with.

Yeah, the first two are fantastic movies. I'd probably rate the first as the best movie I've ever seen. Just pretty much flawless in every aspect--great character development, great dialogue, great acting and directing, a great score. And the second one is nearly as good.

The third is a huge step down from those masterpieces, but still a decent movie that gets too much crap IMO. Sophia Coppolla is crappy in it, and the incest love story with her cousin is lame. But the rest is solid, and provides a nice wrap up for Michael Corleone's story line IMO.

If I order the Godfather Collection now for store pickup, will the price auto adjust to $25 on Wednesday before I pick it up?

I'd rather not go through the hassle of getting a price adjustment later and I'm going to be too busy with flights and returning home to be stalking best buy's site on Tuesday night. Basically, I want to place the order at full price now but not pick it up until Wednesday and I want the price to auto adjust. Not looking to score extra rewardzone points by price adjusting or anything remotely dubious. Any help would be appreciated.

I haven't paid a lot of attention to the DOTD stuff. Does Amazon typically match these? Wouldn't mind using some credit.

[quote name='chrisflyer']I haven't paid a lot of attention to the DOTD stuff. Does Amazon typically match these? Wouldn't mind using some credit.[/QUOTE]

nope

[quote name='chrisflyer']I haven't paid a lot of attention to the DOTD stuff. Does Amazon typically match these? Wouldn't mind using some credit.[/QUOTE]

Not usually. They sometimes match weekly sales from BB and other big stores, but not usually daily deals.

They have had the set for $25 a few times in the past though.

Great Birthday present for my brother. Thanks!!!
flatscreen

For those on the fence, I had paid $80+ for the original Godfather DVD collection several years ago (well before the individual re-releases of the films on DVD and then the Coppola restoration). For $25 on BRD, you can't go wrong. I picked up the Blu Ray version on Amazon for $30, and like I said, was kind of hesitant to retire my old DVDs because they did look terrific and cost a shit ton when I bought them. But the restoration on these films absolutely blew me away. Granted, this is probably my favorite trilogy ever, but the image really pops and the colors are especially vibrant and warm, which make the old DVDs look washed out by comparison. For the PQ alone this is worth the upgrade.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Yeah, the first two are fantastic movies. I'd probably rate the first as the best movie I've ever seen. Just pretty much flawless in every aspect--great character development, great dialogue, great acting and directing, a great score. And the second one is nearly as good.

The third is a huge step down from those masterpieces, but still a decent movie that gets too much crap IMO. Sophia Coppolla is crappy in it, and the incest love story with her cousin is lame. But the rest is solid, and provides a nice wrap up for Michael Corleone's story line IMO.[/QUOTE]

I agree about Part III. If you take it for what it was - Coppola coming back to tell the conclusion of Michael Corleone's story - it stands alone much better than being the "successor" to the original two films. Considering he didn't even want to make the movie, and he admits it was largely a money grab during a financially rough period for him, it lacks polish and, like you said, character development that make the first two films so iconic. But the scene
Does a film two decades old still need a spoiler? Idk. Anyways, where Michael confesses that he's killed not only many other men but his own brother, coupled with the fantastic scene with Mary's death and Michael's agony
completes the saga and brings us back to the foundations of a mob story - you can't ever really get "out." Not up to par with the first two, but taken alone, still a good movie. Probably would've been better with the original title, "The Death of Michael Corleone."

Well, I guess I know what I'm doing tomorrow. I love Godfather I & II and I've started III on two different occasions and never finished it.

Godfather III is only bad when compared to the first 2. It's still better than most mafia movies out there. I actually liked it up until the last 1/4th of it or so.

Deal is live.

Got:

Godfather Trilogy
Heavy Metal
Stand By Me
Green Hornet

For $39.99 after $5 rewards certificate. :p

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='ssjmichael'] I actually liked it up until the last 1/4th of it or so.[/QUOTE]

Well, the ridiculously contrived parallels to the baptism scene are less than great cinema. :lol:

bread's done
Back