Best Buy dropping 80GB sku???

Here's what I would expect is going to happen: Sony has realized that having 2 (or really 4) SKUs doesn't work all that well so they are going to concentrate their efforts on the 40GB. At this point, they may drop the price, the rumored 299, and work on backwards compatibility on the 40GB.

Either way .... I'm SOOOOO gald I bought my 60GB model!!!!!

I agree, this just makes the 60GBs that much more of a big deal since the PS3 is getting more and more gimped.

But that said I think that this almost seems to confirm something big is up, and I think almost starts to point to the $299 price being true. Sony can release the "PS3 Elite" with 120GB HD and BC for $499 or something. They seem to like the 2-SKU model and the 40GB is so gimped in terms of extra features it makes sense. (if you just want to play PS3 games, get a $299 unit. If you want tons of added functionality, get an "Elite" or whatever it'll be.)

I remember reading an article from Kotaku that in Japan they have discontinued the BC models and are now pushing the 40gb model. They managed to cut the cost of manufacturing a ps3 by 50% (I'm assuming those models don't have BC). Seems like it's going to happen worldwide too.

I mentioned this elsewhere (won't go into my long explanation), but I saw this coming. Japan, Europe, Australia, etc. are only 40GB now and the 80GB has "Limited Edition" on it. However, I do see software emulation coming to the 40GB (not the half software/half hardware the 80GB was). I mean, how could Sony get rid of the 80GB and 60GB if the price all PS3 consoles if the 40GB could play PS2 games via 100% software (probably not many). At least by going only 40GB, one SKU (less confusion) and since it costs $400 to produce, Sony won't be taking too much of a loss.
[quote name='DrunknDragun']I remember reading an article from Kotaku that in Japan they have discontinued the BC models and are now pushing the 40gb model. They managed to cut the cost of manufacturing a ps3 by 50% (I'm assuming those models don't have BC). Seems like it's going to happen worldwide too.[/QUOTE]Happened everywhere but the U.S.

Someone help me out.

I need a Faq on why the 40GB is so gimped. This is getting old. I could give a rats ass about PS2 compatability, and a mem card reader...

Maybe its more than that and I am retarded, or maybe I am just retarded. Either way i need a clean clear cut explenation why the 40GB is gimped.

Yea, if you really don't care about BC, then there's not a whole lot of difference between the two models. The card reader is nice, but I would have been able to use a USB card reader if I didn't have them on my 60GB.

Personally, the 40GB model of the PS3 has more features than the 360 Core and even has the 360 Premium beat on HD space, Wi-fi, expandability of hard drive space, and USB charging of controllers without buying an additional dongle.

That said, I have been playing primarily PS2 games on my PS3 so far, so am extremely glad I got a 60GB.

[quote name='Snake2715']Someone help me out.

I need a Faq on why the 40GB is so gimped. This is getting old. I could give a rats ass about PS2 compatability, and a mem card reader...

Maybe its more than that and I am retarded, or maybe I am just retarded. Either way i need a clean clear cut explenation why the 40GB is gimped.[/QUOTE]
It really isn't gimped. Most people just say that because of the lack of PS2 BC, which was a major feature. The 40GB only has two USB ports while the other SKUs have four and it doesn't have the card reader as you've mentioned. It does have wireless, which I would imagine is going to be standard on any future PS3 SKUs as Sony hasn't offered a wireless add-on option yet. Other than that, it's all the same.

[quote name='Agrippan']Yea, if you really don't care about BC, then there's not a whole lot of difference between the two models. The card reader is nice, but I would have been able to use a USB card reader if I didn't have them on my 60GB.

Personally, the 40GB model of the PS3 has more features than the 360 Core and even has the 360 Premium beat on HD space, Wi-fi, expandability of hard drive space, and USB charging of controllers without buying an additional dongle.

That said, I have been playing primarily PS2 games on my PS3 so far, so am extremely glad I got a 60GB.[/QUOTE]And the 40GB still has some BC (PS1 BC that is right now). It's actually a pretty good deal still, just lacks PS2 BC. When I look at it, the 20GB does not look any more appealing than the 360 Premium outside of blu-ray. The 40GB has WiFi and 20GB extra compared to the Premium. 40GB is fine IMO.

Personally, I feel most of the PS2 upscaling is terrible (although I was really excited about it, until I tried most of my games), but that's my opinion.

I was wondering if this was a move to try and remove some consumer confusion. With the rumours of the white PS3 coming, I thought maybe they would have BC in white, but not in black. Thus a little more obvious to consumer what they are getting?

I know my brother and a co-worker (both mainstream, not hardcore) will likely not get a ps3 now. Both were waiting until later this summer, at which point it will be hard to find a BC compatible. They were both loving the memory card reader, for viewing pictures, and both loved the idea of no proprietary memory cards. The were also both relishing the ability to play PS2 games, that they never had a chance too. My brother was a xbox 180 guy, and co-worker was a gamecube guy.

Having said that, I am a little reluctant to recommend an 80GB to someone who wants BC, as it sounds like it is really hit or miss.

Sony should really keep the 60GB around, even if they have to have it $200 more than the 40GB models.

~S

[quote name='snowsquirrel']I was wondering if this was a move to try and remove some consumer confusion. With the rumours of the white PS3 coming, I thought maybe they would have BC in white, but not in black. Thus a little more obvious to consumer what they are getting?

I know my brother and a co-worker (both mainstream, not hardcore) will likely not get a ps3 now. Both were waiting until later this summer, at which point it will be hard to find a BC compatible. They were both loving the memory card reader, for viewing pictures, and both loved the idea of no proprietary memory cards. The were also both relishing the ability to play PS2 games, that they never had a chance too. My brother was a xbox 180 guy, and co-worker was a gamecube guy.

Having said that, I am a little reluctant to recommend an 80GB to someone who wants BC, as it sounds like it is really hit or miss.

Sony should really keep the 60GB around, even if they have to have it $200 more than the 40GB models.

~S[/QUOTE]The big issue with the 60GB is its design just isn't very efficient (it uses most all the PS2 components), which greatly increases costs (The 60GB PS3 at launch cost $840 to make. Right now, it would still cost around $700 to make at least even with a few minor adjustments (like 65nm cell and cheaper blu-ray diode), increases probability of error (more components = larger percentage of error, which explains why 20/60GB consoles are more likely to have the yellow light failure), needs larger PCB size, etc. The 80GB is fine though, since most friends I have who have it, say it plays most all their PS2 games fine (just that a new release might not work initially). But the big issue is, people were not willing to pay $500-$600 for a full BC PS3 and keeping it around would continue to keep the PS3 priced within that range (especially if Sony wants to break even on it, like they are doing with the 40GB).

The white PS3 will be identical to the black 40GB, so the only choice will be color, to consumers. And someone within SCE said, the 40GB is the only SKU going forward for the future. But like I said in my previous posts, PS2 BC will probably be added to the 40GB one day (once 100% software emulation is finished).

The 40GB unit also cannot play SACDs which granted, isn't a huge deal for most people but it's one more nice addition for those with 20/60/80GB units.

I should add, the 40GB isn't really "gimped" in terms of being a PS3, but it's gimped in terms of not being able to do everything previous models had. Unlike the Xbox 360 core (and the Arcade although the memory card helps), you CAN get all of the "PS3 experience" (games work 100%, BluRay works 100%) with a 40GB. You just don't get as much extra as you would with an 80 or 60GB (SACD, memory cards, more USB ports, etc). It's actually a fairly nice compromise in terms of price, although it is too bad you can't expand a 40GB back capability-wise into a 60/80.

The Xbox 360 core, out of the box, is NOT the full "Xbox experience", so that's kind of different.

[quote name='Justin42']The 40GB unit also cannot play SACDs which granted, isn't a huge deal for most people but it's one more nice addition for those with 20/60/80GB units.

I should add, the 40GB isn't really "gimped" in terms of being a PS3, but it's gimped in terms of not being able to do everything previous models had. Unlike the Xbox 360 core (and the Arcade although the memory card helps), you CAN get all of the "PS3 experience" (games work 100%, BluRay works 100%) with a 40GB. You just don't get as much extra as you would with an 80 or 60GB (SACD, memory cards, more USB ports, etc). It's actually a fairly nice compromise in terms of price, although it is too bad you can't expand a 40GB back capability-wise into a 60/80.

The Xbox 360 core, out of the box, is NOT the full "Xbox experience", so that's kind of different.[/QUOTE]BC on the 40GB is somewhat possible, just that an emulator has to be made. There are PS2 emulators out there, but does not work with many games right now. Sony is hiring people to work on it, so I'm expecting it in the future.

It's certainly possible but if it's a big deal to you, buying a 40GB and then getting mad when the "possible" never actually happens is a bad idea.

You also can't add back the SACD capability, for example, unless Sony only disabled it in firmware (which is dumb), since SACDs need drives specifically made to read their copy protection.

[quote name='Justin42']It's certainly possible but if it's a big deal to you, buying a 40GB and then getting mad when the "possible" never actually happens is a bad idea.

You also can't add back the SACD capability, for example, unless Sony only disabled it in firmware (which is dumb), since SACDs need drives specifically made to read their copy protection.[/QUOTE]

I don't think SACD support is all that big of a deal, since most people didn't even know the other PS3's did it... and quite frankly, how many SACDs do people own? I don't have any... and I've rarely (Best Buy comes to mind) seen any available at B&M stores... it's as if they disabled the GIF format for picture viewing. ;) Most people won't care...

As for BC... I've a PS2... two exactly (one fat and one slim)... so missing that from my PS3 is merely a component cable switch away (since I've got 4 things going through my component input on my TV... heh.)

I'm not at all convinced that BC is a breaker deal for anyone but the most cramped of living quarters... (but then, how much does a slim take up in terms of space?)

It'll be interesting to see where the PS3 price goes now... $299 is a nice sweetspot... and it'll force some price wars with MS, I think.

Wrote this in the other thread but I don't think they are discontinuing the actual 80GB PS3 system. They are discontinuing the SKU for the 80GB Motorstorm and Sixaxis package. They will probably release some new package involving a DS3 (hopefully in white).

[quote name='Kendro']Wrote this in the other thread but I don't think they are discontinuing the actual 80GB PS3 system. They are discontinuing the SKU for the 80GB Motorstorm and Sixaxis package. They will probably release some new package involving a DS3 (hopefully in white).[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't mind it be a white one either, come to think of it... but it makes sense that the bundle 80GB will disappear... MS did it with their last bundles (in favor of a new branding of their console names... "core" became "arcade" and whatnot...)

I saw a picture of a white one and it seemed stark at first (probably a bad photo), and monochromatic... I'd have assumed that some parts of the white would be matte or slightly varied to contrast the different corners on the box itself.. but it's still a nice alternative to the glossy (dust magnet!) black. ;)

[quote name='Mechafenris']I don't think SACD support is all that big of a deal, since most people didn't even know the other PS3's did it... and quite frankly, how many SACDs do people own? I don't have any... and I've rarely (Best Buy comes to mind) seen any available at B&M stores... it's as if they disabled the GIF format for picture viewing. ;) Most people won't care...

As for BC... I've a PS2... two exactly (one fat and one slim)... so missing that from my PS3 is merely a component cable switch away (since I've got 4 things going through my component input on my TV... heh.)

I'm not at all convinced that BC is a breaker deal for anyone but the most cramped of living quarters... (but then, how much does a slim take up in terms of space?)

It'll be interesting to see where the PS3 price goes now... $299 is a nice sweetspot... and it'll force some price wars with MS, I think.[/QUOTE]

I have a feeling for $299 many of the complaints will disappear. I'm perfectly happy with my 60GB, even paying a lot more than that. I just hope Sony keeps some higher-end models in the system. I think a dual-SKU where there's a $150-$200 difference, but the higher end does a lot more *not related to core gaming* actually makes sense.

For $299 you can get a PS3/BluRay player. For $449 you can get more media capability (card readers/huge HD/SACD/whatever), and PS2 BC. I really think if they can clarify the marketing it'd be a great move.

Either way, $299 is a great price and will cause a major shakeup in the war.

Never thought about it but according to what was said at a meeting a while back, we would be selling the PS3 for $350. We originally were going to get the 80 GB but dropped that SKU in favor of a $350 40GB PS3 which management felt would move better.

[quote name='lwh1993']Jus to let you know I just called 4 best buy's(twin cities) and none of them had the 80 GB available[/quote]

thats cause after xmas everyone just bought 80gb ps3 for the people they couldnt get a wii or 360 for, and since Sony isnt sending anymore, I don't think any BB even have them left. I just looked in the system yesterday and there were none in my BB district anymore or in the district warehouse. good riddance to bad rubbish anyways ~_~

I love this price droppage and sku changing of the PS3. If this keeps up, I will be able to get a PS3 in the next 1.5 to 2 years at a dirt cheap price.

bread's done
Back