Best Buy DVD/CDs 8/13-8/19

CocheseUGA

CAGiversary!
Feedback
33 (100%)
Copied from DVDTalk (what happened to Speedy?)

HI Kids!

Got the Best Buy circular for 8/13/06 - 8/19/06 in my hands.

Please be aware of the following:

- No Interest until 1/2008 on all TVs $499 & UP
- No Interest for 12 Months on all Digital Cameras & Digital Camcorders $249 & UP
- Free $10 Gift Card Instantly with every $100 in Home Audio Purchases // Excludes BOSE & shelf systems // You can get up to $250 in Gift Cards
- Free $10 - $30 Gift Card Instantly on all advertised DVD Recorder OR Player purchases
- Free $30 Gift Card Instantly with purchase of either a Philips 7" Widescreen Portable DVD Player: Model PET724/37 ($149.99) ---- OR ---- a Panasonic 9" Widescreen Portable DVD Player: Model DVD-LS91 ($299.99)
- DYNEX 100 Pack CD-R discs >>>> $9.99
- FujiFilm 15 Pack Double Layer DVD+R Discs >>>> $24.99
- FujiFilm 50 Pack DVD+R Discs OR DVD-R discs >>>> $13.99
- Memorex 10 Pack LightScribe DVD+R discs >>>> $4.99
- Memorex 25 Pack DVD+R OR DVD-R discs >>>> $6.99
- Toshiba Intel Centrino Duo Mobile Technology Notebook w/15.4” TruBrite widescreen // Intel Core Duo Processor T2050 // 512 MB DDR2 // 80 GB HD // Reads & Writes DVDs & CDs // Model A105-S4211 ---- PLUS ---- Canon All In One Printer // Model MP160 // Minimum 6 per store // No rain checks >>>> $599.99 !!!
BestBuy.com Weekly Special: Free Shipping on ALL Toshiba Notebooks & Linksys Networking Gear!!

- GAMERS: Pre-Order Madden '07 and Get 2 Free Snickers bars // $5 Deposit Required // Madden '07 available 8/22/06 // Snickers offer NOT available in New York Stores (I guess the employees eat them too quickly in NY)
- GAMERS: Save $10 Instantly with purchase if ANY 2 PC games $29 & UP // Must be purchased on the same receipt
All New Release DVDs are listed as being available starting on 8/15/06

Ask any questions and I'll try to reply as soon as I can.

**** DVDs / DVD sets ********

Scary Movie 4: Unrated >>>> $16.99
HOOT >>>> $19.99
Dora The Explorer: We're A Team! >>>> $9.99

-----------------------------------------------------------------

RV >>>> $16.99

Hook >>>> $9.99 ****

Are We There Yet? >>>> $9.99 ****

Jumanji: Collector's Series >>>> $9.99 ****

****2 For $20 when you buy RV and any other marked title on the same receipt

----------------------------------------------------------------------

2 FOR $15 or $9.99 EACH:

Shaun of the Dead
The Big Lebowski
Bourne Identity: Explosive Extended Edition
Tommy Boy: Holy Schnike Edition
Half Baked: Fully Baked Edition
Ghostbusters
The Godfather
The Godfather: Part II
The Godfather: Part III
X-Men
X-Men 2: X-Men United
13 Going On 30: Special Edition
Reign Of Fire
Lock, Stock & Two Smoking Barrels
Dazed & Confused: Flashback Edition
Love Actually
Father Of The Bride: Part II
The Mask Of Zorro: Deluxe Edition
Sense & Sensibility
Coach Carter
The Ring Two
Breakfast At Tiffany's
Puddle Cruiser
Anchorman: Legend of Ron Burgundy
The Great Outdoors
Haunted Mansion
Super Troopers
Garden State
Team America: World Police - Unrated

Must be Purchased on the same receipt

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

$19.99 Two-Packs:

40 Year Old Virgin: Unrated / American Wedding: Unrated
Jarhead / Bourne Supremacy
Munich / Schindler's List
Something New / Deliver Us FRom Eva
The Producers 2005 / Meet The Fockers
Brokeback Mountain / Eternal Sunshine Of The Spotless Mind
Pride & Prejuduce 2005 / Vanity Fair 2004

Many of these two packs are out already from what I saw tonight at Best Buy (I concur)

DVD Sets:

Simpsons: Season 8 Maggie Head or Regular >>>> $29.99 each
ROME: Season 1 >>>> $64.99 w/HBO Preview DVD
Millenium: Season 1 / 2 >>>> $19.99 each
House: Season 1 >>>> $29.99
Full House: Season 4 >>>> $21.99
Full House: Season 1 / 2 / 3 >>>> $17.99 each
Northern Exposure: Season 1 / 2 / 3 / 4 >>>> $19.99
Monk: Season 1 / 2 / 3 / 4 >>>> $27.99 each
The Office: Season 1 (Steve Carrell) >>>> $15.99
Princess Natasha: Season 1 >>>> $9.99
Hong Kong Phooey: Complete Series >>>> $19.99
3rd Rock From The Sun: Season 5 >>>> $22.99
Hogan's Heroes: Season 4 >>>> $27.99
Remington Steele: Season 4 + 5 >>>> $36.99

**** CDs ********

$1.99 EACH:

John Mayer: Waiting For The World To Change Buy This exclusive 3 track CD & receive a coupon good towards $2 off Mayer's upcoming CD Continuum // Available 9/12/06

$6.99 EACH:

Cherish: Unappreciated

$7.99 EACH:

Corinne Bailey Rae: Corinne Bailey Rae
Be Your Own Pet: Be Your Own Pet
Butch Walker: The Rise & Fall of Butch Walker & The Let's-Go-Out-Tonites
Gatsby's American Dream: Gatsby's American Dream
The Red Jumpsiuit Apparatus: Don't You Fake It
Blue October: Foiled w/exclusive Blue October 3 track acoustic CD with purchase // Minimum 10 per store // No Rainchecks

$9.99 EACH:

Christina Aguilera: Stripped
Lyfe Jennings: The Phoenix w/BB exclusive bonus track
Busta Rhymes: The Big Bang
The Fray: How To Save A Life
Pharrell: In MY Mind
Arne Jensen & The Pimple Poppers: dermatology 101
Rihanna: A Girl Like Me
Snakes On A Plane Soundtrack
Obie Trice: Second Round's On Me
Trace Adkins: Dangerous Man w/BB exclusive digital download
The Panic Channel: (ONe) w/BB exclusive digital download

$11.99 EACH:

Christina Aguilera: Back To Basics (2 CDs)

$16.99 EACH:

Trace Adkins: Dangerous Man - Limited Edition w/BB exclusive digital download

$17.99 EACH:

Sublime: Sublime 10th Anniversary Deluxe Edition >>>>
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000GPI1GE/sr=8-2/qid=1155130718/ref=sr_1_2/103-6718094-2931802?ie=UTF8

Thanks Cochese/Speedy

Damn, no 3.99 DVDs, oh well I guess this give me time to maybe watch some of the ones I bought recently.

Might look at PMing Monk Season 4 to CC for a couple bucks cheaper, but considering I got the first 3 at $20, I may hold off a bit.

Everyone should listen up now, because you didn't listen in 1996:

MILLENNIUM SEASONS 1&2 ARE ABSOLUTELY MUST BUYS. It's absolutely my favorite show ever and at $19.99 each, you must must MUST own these DVDs. I think of it as Homicide: Life on the Street through the lens of Twin Peaks, with a little bit of X-Files thrown in for good measure. If you're looking for something a little off-center and very dark, I can't recommend it highly enough.

hmm house season 1 for $30... I'll think I'll still hold off

btw amazon link to Ghostbusters is broken.
I believe that it's the 1 & 2 giftpack

[quote name='RaPtOrsIII']

btw amazon link to Ghostbusters is broken.
I believe that it's the 1 & 2 giftpack[/QUOTE]

Removed all the links. I think DVDT uses referral links just like we do. When I get back from getting my haircut I'll fix them all.

It wouldn't suprise me that it's the giftpack, as CC has it now for $10.

Simpsons (Maggie Head) and perhaps Millenium depending on what other CAGgers impressions of the show are.

Hong Kong Phooey is also awesome.

Can anyone perhaps summarize an episode of Millenium for me. I have seen Twin Peaks and love LOVE X-Files, but have no clue has this show works out and the description on the back of it doesn't help much IMO.

Well, the show's about Frank Black (Henriksen), who moves back to his hometown of Seattle with his family after a nervous breakdown. He has a certain gift for seeing into the eyes of killers - sort of a super profiler.

The earliest episodes have him taking down serial killers. The show doesn't glamorize or exploit the crimes for entertainment value like CSI does, Frank is always more concerned with the why than the how. "Dead Letters" (the third episode) is an episode that I've found seems to hook a lot of people on this concept - there's a killer in the episode, but he isn't the focus. The entire story is actually about how hunting him down can change one's own personal life. As the show goes on, the episodes get more complex and surreal, though. "The Judge" is about a man who claims to be a "judge" who passes his own form of judgment on others by hiring other killers to do his righteous work. This episode has a good example of the Twin Peaks style surrealism of the show - the judge himself actually has bizarre (and darkly funny) mock rituals before he sends others out to commit his murders, and the end of the episode has a freaky twist that I won't reveal here. "Force Majeure" has Frank investigating ritualistic suicides of several teenage girls across the country who all turn out to be identical. In "Marantha", Frank literally hunts a man who is believed to be the anti-Christ.

If you liked the conspiracy arc of The X-Files, the second season has a pretty big chunk of that sort of thing, although the show's focus is on character (and like The X-Files, the conspiracy got a little convoluted in the last season, although I think this season has a very strong collection of great episodes).

EDIT: I found some less fanboy-ish summaries of episodes and I'll post a few from the first season here...

"A vicious serial killer is on the loose in Seattle, roaming strip clubs and gay hang-outs, believing he is on a mission to cleanse the plague-infested city from sin in preparation for the apocalypse. Simultaneously, renowned FBI profiler Frank Black retires to Seattle with his family as he gains membership in the secretive Millennium Group. He soon realizes that he must be the one to bring closure to the so-called Frenchman's grotesque crimes, before further innocents are brutally killed."

"When large quantities of human ashes are discovered in the flowerbeds in a San Francisco park, Frank Black joins an investigation that will lead to an overpowering cult that kills those members unwilling to conform to expectations. In getting closer to the cult's all-powerful leader, Frank gets his first glimpse of a dark force that is controlling the killers he seeks."

"Frank Black's memories of a prominent serial killing case from his past become intensely vivid as he prepares to interview a murderer he locked away decades ago in order to catch that man's protégé, a copycat killer. Frank's concerns torture him day and night, giving him bizarre nightmares and a conscience which insists he should have killed the original killer when he was given the opportunity."

"Frank Black wakes up in an alley amnesiac, having no idea why he attended a bizarre new drug trial, what happened to him there, who the mysterious doctor pulling the strings is, or why he has the disturbing feeling that someone has died."

The complete series of Hong Kong Phooey on DVD?! Number one super guy?
That kind of snuck under the radar. Unfortunately, even though I grew up with the show, and can recite the theme song (sad, I know), I don't think I'll be purchasing this one.

However, seasons 1 and 2 of Millennium for $19.99 each? Very tempting.

-Brian

Millennium is absolutely awesome. It takes some getting used to for an x-files nut, but I like the first season very nearly as much as anything that ever made it to the x-files. It's a LOT darker and more realistic, it's sort of like that X-files episode with the creepy guy who collected parts of dead women, only all the time. The second season turned into weird mystical BS and became much more similar to the x-files, but it's still good.

I'm just mad that I bought the first two seasons for about 35 bucks in the last few months, and that I still need season 3 (which evidently is NOT on sale? Even though they definitely stock all 3 - if it actually IS on sale as well, could someone confirm this? I would buy it in a heartbeat).

I'll definitely stand behind the other recommendations on Millennium. I also love both Twin Peaks and the X-files. Millennium is closely related to the movie Seven but mixed in with the threat of the apocalypse. I have the first and third season on dvd from previous sales and I'll be picking up season 2 this week. Season 1 is the best because Chris Carter was really attached to it at the time. The second season is weaker but still sports some very good episodes along with a "holy shit!" season finale. Season 3 is the weakest by a looong shot. They tried to reinvent the show and take it down a new path... it wasn't bad it just wasn't great. Hope that helps.

Season 3 had a really rough start, but the middle of the season makes up most of my favorite episodes of the series ("Omerta" through "Antipas", specifically - "Borrowed Time" is my #1 Millennium episode).

Also, I was at Best Buy today and can confirm that Season 3 is NOT on sale, unfortunately.

[quote name='anderton']Season 3 had a really rough start, but the middle of the season makes up most of my favorite episodes of the series ("Omerta" through "Antipas", specifically - "Borrowed Time" is my #1 Millennium episode).

Also, I was at Best Buy today and can confirm that Season 3 is NOT on sale, unfortunately.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I checked it out...it was like 35 dollars. I was upset. I can imagine it did have a rough start, they attempted to end the series in season 2 because they thought it wouldn't get picked up for a third season, but then they did. I can't really imagine what the hell they did at the beginning of season 3 with THAT ending on season 2.

Does season 3 not have an ending? I know there was that x-files episode that they made after millennium had been cancelled where they averted teh apocalypse with Frank Black or whatever, does that mean season 3 just sort of stopped cause they assumed they'd get a season 4 and then didn't?

I checked my BestBuy and they ran out of both seasons so I got a raincheck for them.

wankerness-if you're still looking for Millennium: Season 3, Buy.com has it on sale for $22.99. I'm not sure if that's cheap enough for you though..

[quote name='wankerness']Does season 3 not have an ending? I know there was that x-files episode that they made after millennium had been cancelled where they averted teh apocalypse with Frank Black or whatever, does that mean season 3 just sort of stopped cause they assumed they'd get a season 4 and then didn't?[/QUOTE]

No it has an ending. I'm not telling though.

[quote name='wankerness']Does season 3 not have an ending? I know there was that x-files episode that they made after millennium had been cancelled where they averted teh apocalypse with Frank Black or whatever, does that mean season 3 just sort of stopped cause they assumed they'd get a season 4 and then didn't?[/QUOTE]

No it has an ending. I'm not telling though. Not that it's shocking or anything and it kinda seemed rushed.

[quote name='huvabut']No it has an ending. I'm not telling though.[/QUOTE]

Good, I didn't want to know what it was cause I'm going to buy that thing sooner or later. Glad to know it actually has one, though!

[quote name='Renald']I checked my BestBuy and they ran out of both seasons so I got a raincheck for them.

wankerness-if you're still looking for Millennium: Season 3, Buy.com has it on sale for $22.99. I'm not sure if that's cheap enough for you though..[/QUOTE]

Hey, thanks! That's cheap enough for me, since best buy are JERKS

EDIT: Just got it and arrested development season 3 for 39.98 combined (shipping included), works for me!

bread's done
Back