Best Buy DVD return policy question

xannibal

CAG Veteran
I don't know if this is the right place for this - I looked around, but couldn't find a better place.

I bought Close Encounters on Blu-Ray and the main disc movie had green dotted lines at the bottom of my HDTV when played through my PS3. I exchanged it for another one and got the same thing (note: other Blu-ray and regular DVD's don't have this issue when I play them).

Thing is, I know they will only exchange movies for the same movie - but they don't have them in stock at the store anymore. What do they do in this case?

Additionally, anybody ever here of this playback issue? I don't know what the odds are of the same issue happening on two different blu-ray discs...

Thanks.

What has happened to me in the past when trying to exchange something that they had no more of in stock is that I was offered the opportunity to get a gift card or another title. This has ONLY happened when they were completely out of the item I was trying to return and I am not sure if that was store policy or just something they did to keep me happy.

[quote name='micro44']What has happened to me in the past when trying to exchange something that they had no more of in stock is that I was offered the opportunity to get a gift card or another title. This has ONLY happened when they were completely out of the item I was trying to return and I am not sure if that was store policy or just something they did to keep me happy.[/quote]

Thanks.

Also, Best Buy allows you to do exchanges and returns at any store, not just the one you bought the item from.

Last year I had a problem with the MASH dvd. Returned it 7 times for the same problem. Asked the manager if I could just get my money back and I was told to call customer service. Talked to them for 5 minutes and they told me that after 3 exchanges they were suppose to give me a gift card. So they ended up sending me a $20 gift card for a $12 movie.

in the policy it also stated that a returned open movie cd or video game could be given a gift card if it was not what you were expecting or any other return reason. this might have changed or only been a few stores but i know this policy stood in new hampshire. micro44 is correct after 3 or 4 swaps they are supposed to offer you an alternative or a compensation but this can be vetoed by the manager on duty if they feel like being an ass and can be flat out denied by an asshole employee. there are rules but best buy bends them alot.

chances are that if you keep returning it, they will let you swap it out for something else, if they don't carry it anymore (deleted from the system) then they'd have to order one from BBY.com, however I'm sure that they would rather just swap it out instead of going through that process.

At least that's what I would suggest to them, as a Media Employee.

as a media employee then i will ask you to check the system. nothing EVER gets deleted. the sku just gets closed or discontinued, but nothing is ever deleted. you can still find the skus for nintendo games in there and see their final prices. some of it is kind of interesting.

[quote name='DGenerateKane']Is your ps3 updated?[/quote]

I think so. When I got it about 3 weeks ago, it said it had to apply some updates.

best buy won't even give me store credit to weeds season 2... its still sealed and has the best buy tag on it... i lost the receipt and paid cash. oh well.

Okay - just returned it for a second time. More to come.

Okay. Got it home and exact same issue. Looks like morse code (in green) just below where the film meets the letterboxing.

Oh joy...back to Best Buy tomorrow...

Last edited by a moderator:
Just wanted to close out this story -

I returned Close Encounters today (for the 3rd time, I think) and was offered a gift card for the full value, even though "it's not our policy"...

bread's done
Back