Best Buy Employee Discount

this is really starting to piss me off. i am a best buy employee... first off the discount is to you spouse +23 years of age or younger in your house... second the discount for employess is 5% over cost... third the biggest markups in the store are tvs and audio... tvs depending on model are the greatest thing.. but mostly insignia there brand is the most markedup and sony depending on model but employees can expect around a 30 to 50% discount on the tvs and audio there everyone knows now

I can definitely tell you that once in a while BB does put tvs. on Sale at a price lower than cost. But the employee discount is never lower than the cost of the unit UNLESS it is a BB brand and even then you have to double check with a manager.

As far as deals go, price of the tv can be low but sometimes BB will sell something with say 400 off with a bluray player which if you were looking for those 2 things basically amounts to an employee discount.

So is it worth it to go and try to 'bribe' a Best Buy worker in the TV department into buying a good brand TV with cash?

Let's say I wanted some Sony or whatever high end TV that was around 3000. What can I generally expect the discount to be? I'm guessing since they're all for the most part minimum wage slaves, most of the workers would be more than happy to buy the TV for me for say, $100 cash.

Only problem I see would be the worker having enough money to buy the TV...no way am I going to give them the money upfront. Payable on delivery...

Not a good idea as I think the TV needs to be delivered to their house. If they're serious about their job they'd probably not risk it for something like $100.

No one can tell you because of how much it varies. Besides even if you did try to "bribe" someone and they were stupid enough to do it, buying the tv online would be cheaper most likely at that point considering how much that person may want to charge you. Very few people would be desperate to risk a job for only 100.

[quote name='Cow_tipper']How about a $100 8 foot basic HDMI cable? Or a slightly higher quality $275 16 foot HDMI cable?

[/quote]
Why are you buying that? Dude, Monoprice.com. Just as good, and about 1/6 the price. Oh sure, they don't have fancy-looking plugs-- just ones that get the job done-- but they're behind your stuff anyways. Monster is a ripoff.

[quote name='karkyco']Yes indeed.

Hmmm, I wonder if I can just apply and get a job there and have the discount from day one?

[/quote]

Sasu is right-- most companies usually require a 3-month tenure before you can use the discounts, or at least on the high-end stuff, to prevent this very kind of cheapass behavior.

[quote name='karkyco']So is it worth it to go and try to 'bribe' a Best Buy worker in the TV department into buying a good brand TV with cash?

Let's say I wanted some Sony or whatever high end TV that was around 3000. What can I generally expect the discount to be? I'm guessing since they're all for the most part minimum wage slaves, most of the workers would be more than happy to buy the TV for me for say, $100 cash.

Only problem I see would be the worker having enough money to buy the TV...no way am I going to give them the money upfront. Payable on delivery...[/QUOTE]

Since the discount varies so much no one will be able to tell you the price. Only current employees who type in your specific tv will know 100% what the real price is.

Typically The higher the price of the TV the bigger the markup and more of a discount.

I remember when bestbuy first starting selling Plasmas for 19,999 dollars. employees could get them at 9,500. Pretty crazy considering the retail price was 19,999.

P.S you could always get a part time position and after 30 days start to use the discount on anything you want.
Oh and if an employee is riskign his job an dsaving you 800 dollars he/she would probably expect 400dollars in return.

Some online stores sell tvs for less then bestbuy for the same models etc.
A friend of mine bought one a while back that was 2499 at bestbuy and 1899 for exact same one online.

Okay, I work at BB. The best TV that they sell is the Panasonic - 50" 720p Flat-Panel Plasma HDTV. It cost $1.499.99 and we'd get it for about $900. There is one TV I forgot which one it was, but it cost about $2,100. I could get it for $1,400.

Too bad I don't want a TV...

i amtrying to get a job at bb and was curious what the discount would be for the Samsung LN52A650. If some of yaw current bb employees could give me an idea, thatd be nice. its selling for around 2500 on bestbuy.com i think.

thanks

there's only about a 30% markup, that's why the tie-in-ratio is so important. things like extended warranties are 100% profit for the store and accessories have a higher profit that benefits the store more.

So my local Bestbuy is having a special "Military Appreciation" sale for 3 days only. I get 1 item at employee's cost.

My question is, are there big markups on laptops?

[quote name='General_Klinger']So my local Bestbuy is having a special "Military Appreciation" sale for 3 days only. I get 1 item at employee's cost.

My question is, are there big markups on laptops?[/quote]

computers are the items that have the least markup of all.

[quote name='von551']there's only about a 30% markup, that's why the tie-in-ratio is so important. things like extended warranties are 100% profit for the store and accessories have a higher profit that benefits the store more.[/QUOTE]

Its more like 70% profit on service plans. They have to cover and spread out the costs of the actual repairs and replacements they make.

Hmm just got a 52 sony bravia for someone cost around 4000, employee get it for 2600. I'm really tired of buying tvs for people... and appliances, they get a nice chunk off too. Also with the lifestyle is really bs,because I am a college student and I just bought one of their higher end tv and when I was walking out my manager ask me why didn't I wait til the newer model of that tv came in? So it shows how much managers cared if ur purchases fit ur lifestyle...

I have a friend who worked at BB and bought a large Sony HDTV. It was cheaper to buy it through Sony's website (with a 5 year warranty) than through BB using his employee discount...

So, I would definitely check around.

Just a FYI. A lot of times online retailers like Amazon have items that are VERY close to cost. TV's are usually within $100-$200 above cost, especially when you factor in sales tax.

My brother is a store manager at BB and nowadays I usually just buy online to avoid bothering him since it seems that every item I have him price check is very close to the online price.

[quote name='rodeojones903']Its more like 70% profit on service plans. They have to cover and spread out the costs of the actual repairs and replacements they make.[/quote]

i work at target, and there it's pure 100% profit.

[quote name='tokerblue']Just a FYI. A lot of times online retailers like Amazon have items that are VERY close to cost. TV's are usually within $100-$200 above cost, especially when you factor in sales tax.[/QUOTE]

Very true, I have purchased through Amazon to save on tax and its actually cheaper for the expensive items.

Amazon is clearly the best place to buy televisions within the US. This thread was a complete waste of time.

[quote name='Zing']Amazon is clearly the best place to buy televisions within the US. This thread was a complete waste of time.[/quote]

As was your post and probably your reading of all these posts which are quite old!

What about buying TVs from Costco - I can get them tax free and with the 3% back...plus the not-as-great-as-it-once-was warranty. I know amazon has good prices, but I don't want to wait for Black Friday for a monster score (and usually, the tvs with the big black Friday advertising and discounts are shit/no name brand tvs I don't really want to take a chance on).

I haven't started shopping around, but I need to start shopping for 2, maybe 3 new high end and reliable, large plasma/lcd flat panel tvs.

kinda of a old topic but wondering what the price is on a canon sx10, its like 380 on bestbuy.com. I have a friend thats good friends with a kid that works at bb that will hook people up but he doesnt work this week, vacation, so im just wondering what you guys think the price would be. I know this topic is old but its worth a shot.

According to someone over on Yahoo Answers the amount an employee pays is usually the price BB payed for the item + 5%. So if they sell something for $130 and it costs them $100 for the item then you pay $105.

bread's done
Back