Best Buy - FFXIII-2 CE @ $49.99 (YMMV?)

ken9

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
As the title states, I think it only applies to the pre-order copies of the CE (the ones with the novella book). Here's a pic of the receipt:

scaled.php

(if any of you are as confused as I was when reading the receipt, for some reason they subtracted my RZ cert from the MSRP so it shows $38.14. Otherwise if you add the $11.85, it'll add up to being $49.99)

Not sure if it applies to all the stores though. I checked some other stores and they were still at the normal $79.99... The manager said that they wanted to sell off the unpicked up pre-order copies of the CE's they had to make room for the regular CE's they were going to get soon (the ones without the novella pre-order bonus).

I'll be sure to check this out tomorrow and report back if I run in to a similar situation. Thank you for the heads up!

Saw this at my local BB as well. Is the novella worth it? I was planning on just waiting a couple months until the regular edition is $20.

[quote name='jeebert']Saw this at my local BB as well. Is the novella worth it? I was planning on just waiting a couple months until the regular edition is $20.[/QUOTE]

TBH i haven't actually had the time to read over it. But just taking a quick peek at it, it feels like a small kids book. Like small book, somewhat large font. But I kinda expected that though. As you play the game, It does provide a little backstory as to what happened between FFXIII and XIII-2 (which is what the book is suppose to be about I believe).

If resell value is your concern, my friend sold his on craigslist for $30 4 days after the release so its worth quite a bit.

I think the novella will be worth something in the future if you manage to get all of them. Square Enix already confirmed there will be a novella for Snow on how he got his
l'Cie brand and new focus

[quote name='PublikDefender']How is the packaging different? Pics? I can't find info contrasting the two ce's at bestbuy.com.

Help?[/QUOTE]

The pre-order version has another layer of shrinkwrap over it and the book is packaged together with the CE box, on the OUTSIDE.

If they really have dropped the price on this, wouldn't that mean we would be able to drop this to 34.99 with the $15 coupon in @Gamer?

[quote name='jling84']If they really have dropped the price on this, wouldn't that mean we would be able to drop this to 34.99 with the $15 coupon in @Gamer?[/QUOTE]

Interesting idea, but I think they typically only list one SKU for the coupon. You'd probably have to get an override to get anyone to do that for you.

[quote name='partypajamas']guys, if it lists online as "unavailable" at my local best buy, should i bother checking? this is for the collectors edition[/QUOTE]

It's extremely unlikely to appear since they would need 3, but it might be worth your time.

For anyone else I saw new slipcover versions with the book. Same as the normal one, I dont know if this is news or I just never saw them before, but it might be a decent deal since you most likely can stack it with the coupon.

I'd love to price match my previously bought copy but it looks like I bought my copy 31 days ago. Oh well. Silver folks, you may still be able to do that though since your return time is 45 days.

The one I went into today had the normal ones marked at $49.99 as per the sale this week I guess, but all of the CEs were marked at $79.99.

OP, were the section yours was in marked at $49.99, or was there no price listed and they just rung up at $49.99? I wonder if I should've just asked since I was there, but the price on the normals confused me and I thought I had confused the two or something, so didn't bother.

Then again, may just be better off waiting til Thursday and the new mag to come out with the coupon.

It's the same SKU as the online listing so one of 3 things - it's your store only, the clerk price matched the regular edition that's 49.99 this week, or there's a glitch in Best Buy's system and all CE's are ringing up 49.99 in store.

[quote name='mitch079']It's the same SKU as the online listing so one of 3 things - it's your store only, the clerk price matched the regular edition that's 49.99 this week, or there's a glitch in Best Buy's system and all CE's are ringing up 49.99 in store.[/QUOTE]

^ That's what I'm thinking.... I'd like this to be clarified though

Hmmm I can go check the price at another BB later since I'm gonna try and pick up ME2 with the @gamer coupon.

I didn't know about the drop initially since I originally planned to get it price adjusted to the $59.99 price at GS. All my local GS locations were sold out so I told the clerk to call the manager over to see what he could do. He ended up checking the computer and said that that these went on sale for $49.99 and everything else he said in the original post above. Ended up doing the adjustment himself. I kinda doubt that he would match the regular edition by mistake since he knew what it was so it might have been my store only :( I can go back later this week to that store and see whats up (I'm out of town for most of the week).

I thought the pre-order one wasn't a real CE? That it was just the regular game + novella? That's the one I see for $49.99 at my BB.

The CE is still $80

While correct, some of the CEs if you look at one have the novella shrink wrapped to the CE packaging, so it's both. That's what I'm wondering if that's ringing up to $49.99

To me, that's worth picking up for $50, but if it's just the regular, I would think picking it up this week for $35 with the gamer coupon would probably be better. Of course, there's always waiting for the CE to come down in price further.

BB is weird though. I've seen assassin's creed: brotherhood, which was $99, there for $49, but now there's like a dozen there and they want $99 for them again. BB is just odd when it comes to this shit. Why I think this is coming out to more be a pricing error on their part than anything, so everything they do seems to be YMMV.

Based on his receipt (Price Match), you obviously need to find a manager in the store that knows about the updated clearance pricing to do an override. I doubt its going to ring up $49.99 for the CE automatically, since its only for the CEs with the novella attached to them.

I think it's pretty clear that OP got lucky and the employee matched the CE to the regular version's price. It is easy to mistake the two because BB has the regular version with a slipcover that holds both the game and the novel. Both end up looking like big boxes on the shelf.

So basically, extremely YMMV.

[quote name='htz']Based on his receipt (Price Match), you obviously need to find a manager in the store that knows about the updated clearance pricing to do an override. I doubt its going to ring up $49.99 for the CE automatically, since its only for the CEs with the novella attached to them.[/QUOTE]

So is this deal everywhere on the game WITH novella?

[quote name='ken9']
I didn't know about the drop initially since I originally planned to get it price adjusted to the $59.99 price at GS. All my local GS locations were sold out so I told the clerk to call the manager over to see what he could do. He ended up checking the computer and said that that these went on sale for $49.99 and everything else he said in the original post above. Ended up doing the adjustment himself. I kinda doubt that he would match the regular edition by mistake since he knew what it was so it might have been my store only :( I can go back later this week to that store and see whats up (I'm out of town for most of the week).[/QUOTE]

[quote name='ken9']The manager said that they wanted to sell off the unpicked up pre-order copies of the CE's they had to make room for the regular CE's they were going to get soon (the ones without the novella pre-order bonus).[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Romeo']So is this deal everywhere on the game WITH novella?[/QUOTE]
I'm only going by what the OP has said so far, from what he is telling us, Best Buy is clearencing out the CE's with the novella book. Its YMMV since it might be his store only.

It is impossible for BB to clearance out the CE with the novella and not clearance out the normal CE. They have the SAME UPC. The back cardboard slip is a 1:1 copy of the normal back of the CE. This is an employee matching the CE to the regular edition price point.

What's the difference between the collector's edition and the normal one? I always see collector's editions of games going for 2-3 time more than the normal edition. What does the collectorr's edition have?

[quote name='Lord Izanagi']What's the difference between the collector's edition and the normal one? I always see collector's editions of games going for 2-3 time more than the normal edition. What does the collectorr's edition have?[/QUOTE]

extra stuff.

[quote name='Lord Izanagi']What's the difference between the collector's edition and the normal one? I always see collector's editions of games going for 2-3 time more than the normal edition. What does the collectorr's edition have?[/QUOTE]

Soundtrack, artbook, special box.

Actually I just talked to the guys that work in gaming some stores are doing that but none here. Although every best buy is selling the reg ed w/ the novela will sell for 49.99

I'm more confused after reading the entire thread...

Question #1: do the vanilla CE and the CE with novella have the same barcode?
Question #2: does this require manual override to get the CE with novella for $49.99? The receipt says "price match", so I'm thinking the manager got confused, and thought the OP has the regular edition with novella, which is $49.99?
Question #3: if I bring my CE with novella to customer service, will I get the $49.99 without any convincing/arguing/bitching?

Thanks in advance.

[quote name='Garfield']I'm more confused after reading the entire thread...

Question #2: does this require manual override to get the CE with novella for $49.99? The receipt says "price match", so I'm thinking the manager got confused, and thought the OP has the regular edition with novella, which is $49.99?
Question #3: if I bring my CE with novella to customer service, will I get the $49.99 without any convincing/arguing/bitching?

Thanks in advance.[/QUOTE]

#1. Yes
#2. Based on all the evidence we have this is one of two things, YMMV and store specific or the person working there thought it was supposed to be the one that is on sale for $50.
#3. Unless you can confirm it is $50 in your store then PM it to $50 is impossible.

[quote name='Garfield']I'm more confused after reading the entire thread...

Thanks in advance.[/QUOTE]

Considering its just a preorder bonus added... it's the same barcode.
Most likely.
How would anyone know this? I've brought in legit deals and had to bitch about them. Transversely many have seen painfree deals on things we dont normally get deals on too.

My store had it for $49.99 and it was not the collectors edition, just the standard version with the novella book.

Was able to get the Collector's Edition price-matched to the Gamestop price ($59.99), but not the $49.99 as stated in OP. Still happy with the deal because I was able to just swap my non-CE for the CE. Though I'm still not 100% sure I want the game yet lol.

bread's done
Back