Best Buy FREE Assassin's Creed III (3) Season Pass YMMV

fezlopez

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
Went by Best Buy and saw it. Found it right next to the Hulu gift cards, which are near the PS Vita/PS3 section. Your store may not have these but it's worth a look. Caught me by surprise.
Be sure to look carefully because they are easily missed. Unfortunately, it was OOS when I found it.

The date shows the tag was printed on Oct 10th, meaning it was recent.
If you are a Best Buy employee or have any contact, feel free to share info on this (& please don't take all of them either, share the love).

(If someone already posted this deal, my apologies and call me any name in the book, just not Bob.)

Picture
20121015_153426.jpg

ommon law generally treats price tags as "invitations to treat", but California's Business and Professional Code 12024.2 (effective since 2005) has this language:
(a) It is unlawful for any person, at the time of sale of
a commodity, to do any of the following:
(1) Charge an amount greater than the price, or to compute an
amount greater than a true extension of a price per unit, that is
then advertised, posted, marked, displayed, or quoted for that
commodity.
(2) Charge an amount greater than the lowest price posted on the
commodity itself or on a shelf tag that corresponds to the commodity,
notwithstanding any limitation of the time period for which the
posted price is in effect.

Quite a few states have laws like this CA one but you gonna take the time to meet with the required people to enforce it? No, I would hope not or you have a lot of time on your hands. Even if you did, it would not benefit you. First the retailer gets a slap on the wrist warning and then progressive fines. BTW Lightning War does work for BB. He let us in on past clearance blowouts.

[quote name='Lightning War']The reason this happens is because the system used to print off signs recognizes the cards, but not the value associated with them. So the cards are technically free but they must be paid to activate. It's a glitch in the system they're working to fix. This thread should be deleted to prevent anyone wasting their time.

I hate people like you. No they don't.[/QUOTE]

Why you mad bro?

[quote name='gordojones88']Since they were free, I took the whole stack.[/QUOTE]
Then you'd better start giving us free codes. Start by PMing one to me. Thanks.

[quote name='rcerboss']Then you'd better start giving us free codes. Start by PMing one to me. Thanks.[/QUOTE]

Yeah man I'll take one as well.

[quote name='inky1600']ommon law generally treats price tags as "invitations to treat", but California's Business and Professional Code 12024.2 (effective since 2005) has this language:
(a) It is unlawful for any person, at the time of sale of
a commodity, to do any of the following:
(1) Charge an amount greater than the price, or to compute an
amount greater than a true extension of a price per unit, that is
then advertised, posted, marked, displayed, or quoted for that
commodity.
(2) Charge an amount greater than the lowest price posted on the
commodity itself or on a shelf tag that corresponds to the commodity,
notwithstanding any limitation of the time period for which the
posted price is in effect.

Quite a few states have laws like this CA one but you gonna take the time to meet with the required people to enforce it? No, I would hope not or you have a lot of time on your hands. Even if you did, it would not benefit you. First the retailer gets a slap on the wrist warning and then progressive fines. BTW Lightning War does work for BB. He let us in on past clearance blowouts.
[/QUOTE]

But even in bizarro world CA (land of unnecessary regulation), nowhere does it say they actually have to sell the item at all.

If they catch a price mistake on the posted or advertised price, where it rings up differently at the register, they could just refuse to sell it entirely rather than eat the loss. There is ALWAYS the option for a retailer to refuse a sale for any reason whatsoever. With 3rd party gift cards and phone cards, retailers only get like 10%-20% AT MOST on a sale. So if it costs $29.99 to activate, Best Buy is lucky if they get $5 out of selling one of these cards. If they sold it for "free", it would be at least a $25-28 loss just for "honoring" the so-called advertised price.

When companies/businesses honor price mistakes online or offline, it's generally out of goodwill, so as to not lose a customer - and we are very lucky when egregious price mistakes are actually honored. Anyone that feels justified in going in and "demanding" a $30 item for free is a moron. I don't even care if anyone actually "wins" that argument and posts evidence here, that person is still a self-respect lacking beggar.

[quote name='gordojones88']Since they were free, I took the whole stack.[/QUOTE]
May I please have one? ;_;

*will try to check local bb tomorrow and will def fail ;_;

[quote name='Agent Orange']But even in bizarro world CA (land of unnecessary regulation), nowhere does it say they actually have to sell the item at all.

If they catch a price mistake on the posted or advertised price, where it rings up differently at the register, they could just refuse to sell it entirely rather than eat the loss. There is ALWAYS the option for a retailer to refuse a sale for any reason whatsoever. With 3rd party gift cards and phone cards, retailers only get like 10%-20% AT MOST on a sale. So if it costs $29.99 to activate, Best Buy is lucky if they get $5 out of selling one of these cards. If they sold it for "free", it would be at least a $25-28 loss just for "honoring" the so-called advertised price.

When companies/businesses honor price mistakes online or offline, it's generally out of goodwill, so as to not lose a customer - and we are very lucky when egregious price mistakes are actually honored. Anyone that feels justified in going in and "demanding" a $30 item for free is a moron. I don't even care if anyone actually "wins" that argument and posts evidence here, that person is still a self-respect lacking beggar.[/QUOTE]

No they don't have to sell it at all, which is why I said you won't benefit from it. BTW, I just pulled this excerpt from CA consumer law but these laws exist in way more states than you think. States do it to protect consumers primarily in big box stores where many items are added to a shopping cart based on the price the consumer sees on the shelf tag. A cart full of groceries ringing at 50 cents over on each item vs shelf tag can easily slam you for an extra 20 bucks. These laws were never meant to punish a lone mistake like this prob was. I've personally been contracted to check such things as an auditor(get paid 50 bucks to do a couple hours of checking at both Kmarts and WalMarts, walking around with a scanner, a customer service rep, and checking random items). The half a dozen times or so I've done it, about 2% come up wrong and most of the time in the store's favor. I don't know what's considered "acceptable", I just report what I find. I go over these errors with the rep and they change the tags or POS as I find them.

[quote name='rcerboss']then you'd better start giving us free codes. Start by pming one to me. Thanks.[/quote]

[quote name='tsel']yeah man i'll take one as well.[/quote]

[quote name='lt dan']
may i please have one? ;_;
[/quote]

ROFL-LMFAO-OMG-WTF-BBq

I got one free, took 25 minutes of waiting at customer service. I was the only one who pointed out, and the only one they made that exception for, they took down the price immediately after.

I bet if this dude types his code in it will be invalid since he got it free. What a waste of forum space...

[quote name='gordojones88']ROFL-LMFAO-OMG-WTF-BBq[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Gscept']I bet if this dude types his code in it will be invalid since he got it free. What a waste of forum space...[/QUOTE]

:whistle2:\"

[quote name='Tsel']I won't even have a chance to check considering the closest BB is 75 miles away. Fun.[/QUOTE]

same

They have a couple at my Best Buy. I just don't feel like going through the process for a season pass on a game I don't plan on getting.

Saw it at my store but the tag was pulled off, I didn't even try lol. Same store wouldn't give out the Gears 3 season pass when they glitched in the kiosk

Damn my BB had plenty for 360 but none for PS3

[quote name='Ellahjay88']They have a couple at my Best Buy. I just don't feel like going through the process for a season pass on a game I don't plan on getting.[/QUOTE]
would you consider getting one and selling it?

[quote name='Havok83']Damn my BB had plenty for 360 but none for PS3

would you consider getting one and selling it?[/QUOTE]

Lol, no one here has even gotten one free yet.

[quote name='dgwillia006']Saw it at my store but the tag was pulled off, I didn't even try lol. Same store wouldn't give out the Gears 3 season pass when they glitched in the kiosk[/QUOTE]

Same here :(

[quote name='CheapLikeAFox']People make up imaginary consumer laws and throw out bait and switch and bla bla bla.

Some states may have consumer friendly laws stating if an item is marked a certain price they are obligated to sell it to you at that price. But other than filing a complaint that will go nowhere, there is nothing the law can do for you. Stores also have leeway for misprints. But I'm sure someone is going to sit there and argue for an hour about how they need to honor the free price for the season pass and then call corporate and complain.[/QUOTE]

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Saw the cards at my BB yesterday. It was just a 2400 point card for $30, branded with AC3 Season Pass.

There is also a 2000 point Halo 4 Season Pass card for $25.

I have built up a lot of goodwill at my local BB. This wouldnt be worth looking like THAT guy in front of them. It would just be a bad look in the long run especially with the holiday deals just around the corner.

[quote name='Donut2922']I have built up a lot of goodwill at my local BB. This wouldnt be worth looking like THAT guy in front of them. It would just be a bad look in the long run especially with the holiday deals just around the corner.[/QUOTE]

Haha this. Too many possible hookups and such to risk losing over looking like supreme el cheapass-o

[quote name='fezlopez']Proof? Who are you? Do you work for the company? Do you make the printing systems? If that was the case, it wouldn't say FREE!. It just wouldn't give an amount or it would be at $0.00.

And no, you don't hate me. Updated my snitty remark so you can be happier about life.[/QUOTE]

I do work for the company. Best Buy price stickers don't ever say $0.00. It defaults to FREE! if the value is $0.00.

[quote name='Donut2922']I have built up a lot of goodwill at my local BB. This wouldnt be worth looking like THAT guy in front of them. It would just be a bad look in the long run especially with the holiday deals just around the corner.[/QUOTE]
This is exactly why I wouldn't try for even one of these myself, since many of the managers at my closest BB have been really good about usually iffy price matches and they were the ones willing to listen to me(a lowly customer) informing them that the @Gamer coupons are supposed to stack with sale prices.

Albeit that has since changed in the system for the pre-owned deals of the week, since the $10 off $29.99 or higher coupons used to deduct $10 off the games that were lowered to $30 for the week plus 10% off of the original AND discounted DOTW prices. But ever since that Dead Island glitch where pre-owned copies that were $20 or whatever price on sale were going down to $5 apiece after a triple discount they haven't worked right and management has been inflexible on allowing the coupons on the weekly sale prices.:whistle2:#

I got a Ac3 Season Pass card and when the guy rang it up it said 29.99 but he changed it and it was free but there is no code on the back or on the receipt so did I just get the card for free without any codes?

[quote name='snakemaster2389']I got a Ac3 Season Pass card and when the guy rang it up it said 29.99 but he changed it and it was free but there is no code on the back or on the receipt so did I just get the card for free without any codes?[/QUOTE]

You get what you pay for.

[quote name='mossfan563']Anyone see if this WAS available in NY? I imagine that every store would be tapped out by now if it was available.[/QUOTE]

i got mine in Middletown, NY

Went to BestBuy an hour ago and they didn't have it. The cashier said that they couldn't even sell it until launch. I was told I can price match Toysrus deal for $47 though.

You're probably supposed to input an email or something, if you used reward zone on the free purchase you'll probably get an email on or a bit later than release. Mine had them but didn't have a price on the peg, the card itself says $24.99 recommended msrp in the top right corner, so I'd probably have been charged that.

Saw the cards at my BB yesterday. It was just a 2400 point card for $30, branded with AC3 Season Pass.

Its a points for to buy the Season pass. $29.99. I checked it out personally since i work at Best Buy.

IF you did get one and it wasn't activated by the register its just a piece of plastic.

Not to mention Best Buy never puts "Free" its 0.00. The BB that did that was retarded.

mine is activated but I didn't use my reward card on it and theres no scratch off code either, just looks like a piece of plastic lol and there was a few cards left and it did say free and it did ring up 0.00 at first and then it changed to 24.99 and then back to 0.00 lol man this is so weird

Guys it because the actual SKU is worth $0.00 until it is scanned at the register and activates when they total it out and then prints the code on receipt. The cards dont have secial numbers on them. Mystery solved! same thing with the Diablo 3, starcraft, and Mop dl cards

[quote name='Pixie Stix 88']Saw the cards at my BB yesterday. It was just a 2400 point card for $30, branded with AC3 Season Pass.

Its a points for to buy the Season pass. $29.99. I checked it out personally since i work at Best Buy.

IF you did get one and it wasn't activated by the register its just a piece of plastic.

Not to mention Best Buy never puts "Free" its 0.00. The BB that did that was retarded.[/QUOTE]

Really? I've never seen $0.00, that right there is retarded. I have seen FREE though, behind customer service they've had free shit on the wall

I had seen this thread earlier this week when nothing was known about the "deal" and had promptly forgotten it, until I was at BB today to pick up a couple of PSN cards. I saw them hanging there w/ the "FREE" tag, so I grabbed one. Was perfectly honest with the guy - said I was only interested because the tag said FREE, if it wasn't I didn't want it. He acted like as far as he knew it was free, punched around a bit & finally got it to go through but like others have said, no code on the card or receipt.

I suppose if there's no code I'm not out anything, but maybe what someone else said is true & they'll email it when the game releases (he did get my RZ info). *shrug* We'll see.

EDIT: Just found this on the BB website:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Assassi...]/1000002984.p?id=1000002983&skuId=1000002984
Delivery: Pre-order now. Token code e-mailed on Release date: 10/30/2012

So maybe! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I stopped by a further off BB earlier today and they had the cards sitting on the back part of the game trade-in desk still sealed in their package. I asked the one clerk about them and he said they 'weren't working right yet'.

So that was the end of that.:whistle2:#

[quote name='argyle']I had seen this thread earlier this week when nothing was known about the "deal" and had promptly forgotten it, until I was at BB today to pick up a couple of PSN cards. I saw them hanging there w/ the "FREE" tag, so I grabbed one. Was perfectly honest with the guy - said I was only interested because the tag said FREE, if it wasn't I didn't want it. He acted like as far as he knew it was free, punched around a bit & finally got it to go through but like others have said, no code on the card or receipt.

I suppose if there's no code I'm not out anything, but maybe what someone else said is true & they'll email it when the game releases (he did get my RZ info). *shrug* We'll see.

EDIT: Just found this on the BB website:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Assassi...]/1000002984.p?id=1000002983&skuId=1000002984

So maybe! :)[/QUOTE]

Link doesn't work.

bread's done
Back