Best Buy Gamer Gift Cards. YMMV no more?

huvabut

CAGiversary!
My Best Buy store hasn't had gamer gift cards since last summer... I was pleasantly surprised to find an all new version (all silver I believe), with the $5 off coupon for games $19.99 and up. They had a ton of them. So if your store hasn't had any for a while check and see if they have them back in. They were back by the games at the store I was at. Good luck.

Yeah, I noticed that a store by me (Chicago) finally got some of the cheaper ($19.99) GGC's in, too.

3 cheers for BB GGC's!!!

I am left bewildered, and can only find the word "stupid" to be appropriate as Best Buy reintroduces these and the McDonald's coupons to the buying public after calling us all a bunch of cheap bastards (the real meaning of the word devil) for using these coupons in the first place.

Don't get me wrong, I am a "devil" myself and I welcome AND I will continue to take advantage of these coupons and GGCs, but after all the PR about Best Buy's customer categorization policies I can only be amazed that BB finds these programs worth continuing knowning that devils like us will use them as much as possible.

I feel like they are talking out of the side of their face -- calling us dirty names for using the coupons they continue to make and promote. Maybe BB found out that even devils who use the GGC will buy HDTVs to play their dirty devil wares on.

BTW, when u get 5 minutes look up Best Buy and Circuit City in Wiki -- it is an interesting comparison between two rival companies.

[quote name='donssword']I am left bewildered, and can only find the word "stupid" to be appropriate as Best Buy reintroduces these and the McDonald's coupons to the buying public after calling us all a bunch of cheap bastards (the real meaning of the word devil) for using these coupons in the first place.

Don't get me wrong, I am a "devil" myself and I welcome AND I will continue to take advantage of these coupons and GGCs, but after all the PR about Best Buy's customer categorization policies I can only be amazed that BB finds these programs worth continuing knowning that devils like us will use them as much as possible.

I feel like they are talking out of the side of their face -- calling us dirty names for using the coupons they continue to make and promote. Maybe BB found out that even devils who use the GGC will buy HDTVs to play their dirty devil wares on.

BTW, when u get 5 minutes look up Best Buy and Circuit City in Wiki -- it is an interesting comparison between two rival companies.[/QUOTE]I'm not sure what I'm supposed to be looking for here. Plus--I'm not quite sure, but I think I spent more than 5 minutes reading the Best Buy one. Is it just that Best Buy has a much longer and more colorful entry?

Why don't you cheapasses who put 1 cent on the card and ruin it for everyone else put $15.89 (whatever a $14.99 game comes out to after taxes in your area) and just pay for the game with it.

That's what I put on the card (though I miscalculated the tax and had to pay a little bit more... of course then I walked back and picked up a game and went back to the register. :)

[quote name='donssword']...when u get 5 minutes look up Best Buy and Circuit City in Wiki -- it is an interesting comparison between two rival companies.[/QUOTE]

You mean Wikipedia... Wiki is the medium, not any particular site.

[quote name='Demontooth']Why don't you cheapasses who put 1 cent on the card and ruin it for everyone else put $15.89 (whatever a $14.99 game comes out to after taxes in your area) and just pay for the game with it.[/QUOTE]
Actually, the new GGC's say that there's a minimum of $5 for the gift card.

No more $0.01 tricks anymore with these new ones. And I'm quite OK with that, since I put at least $5 on them when I picked 'em up.

If there's the old ones out there, they might let you do $0.01 on them, though I highly doubt it.

ACTUALLY...

the $5 off $19.99 silver cards have been around since Spring, and you can still put a penny on them.

the reason I do this is because:

1) there are three BestBuys in my area, and I've yet to see a single store run out of these (I occasionally see the original green ones from the fall of 2003 floating around).
2) the clerks seem to have a hard enough time using the coupon, and adding on a gift card turns a simple exercise into linear algebra. on two occasions I tried to do all five steps at once (buy the card, charge it with $5, use the $5 off coupon, use the $5 down, pay for the game) and the cashiers tried to charge me $15 instead of $10 (= $20 - $5 off coupon - $5 credit).

so it's easier and safer to put a penny on it and keep the damn thing. if you sanctimonious snobs don't like it, well too fucking bad. this way I get to save the cards for retarded children, as they go apeshit at the sight of lenticular motion.

Why would you want to put a penny on them? You can't use them anyway without paying $14.99 + tax.

Trying what you did is just letting them know how the coupon's abused, and may prevent others from actually using it.

I still haven't seen the new ones at any of my stores. Thankfully I still have a bunch of the 2005 ones to hold me over until they get 'em in.

[quote name='cheapazz']if you sanctimonious snobs don't like it, well too fucking bad. this way I get to save the cards for retarded children...[/QUOTE]

The only retarded person here is the guy pissing in the same fountain he's drinking from. :D

[quote name='MaxBiaggi3']The only retarded person here is the guy pissing in the same fountain he's drinking from. :D[/QUOTE]
No one said you had to be start to shop at retail. :dunce:

I was commenting on the record of "challenges" in Best Buys history of customer interaction vs. Circuit City. Sure, CC may have a history of probs too, but it ain't as well documented in the press as BB.

I like BB & CC (used to like BB more) -- I am a devil who works in the Advertising biz, and I am aware that customer segmentation is part of the retail industry But, BB's blatant public promotion of their classification system is insulting (they should have kept it a trade secret), and I am mystified that they keep running coupon programs that they know are going to be taken advantage of by the Devils all the while insisting that we are "baaaaad" (sound like Nixon when u say "bad").

As far as putting pennies on a GGC, only a fool does that -- put $15 on the damn thing, u are going to buy the damn game anyhow. Life is short, don't be a jackass -- what goes around comes around as far as karma is concerned.

i havent seen one yet in vegas, anybody know which bestbuy has them?

also i used the old green ones that expire this year, and the coupon didnt work, they had to override it, so i'm guessing its out of the system or u need to use it in conjunction with the gift card

i just have the coupon no gift card

bread's done
Back