Best Buy getting 80GB PS3 Bundle with KZ2, MGS4 NOW AVAILABLE (online & stores)

Anexanhume

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
http://kotaku.com/5305883/ps3-bundle-includes-mgs4-killzone-2

It's the standard 399.99, but with those two games, it's one heck of a bundle deal.

The article isn't clear on what "Next Sunday" is. Since this was posted on Friday, I take it to mean 9 days from then, or July 12th.

EDIT: This item is now available on BestBuy.com clicky. In-store pickup available, but no online ordering.

EDIT 2: Best buy switched it, online shipping is now available with in-store pickup no longer available.

EDIT 3: Some CAGers are starting to report that bundles are showing up in their local stores. For those who are curious, the MGS4 is NOT the greatest hits version.

EDIT 4: This bundle should be available at all stores now, and is featured in BB's 7/12 Sunday ad.

Also, you may want to check about price-matching a gift card that Toys R' Us offers:

[quote name='fahrenheits']Got this PS3 BB bundle this morning, the store manager was nice and he price matched TRU $50 gift card offer!

Paid $399.99+tax for this bundle and received $50 BB gift card for free.

TRU in my area (Rancho Cucamonga, CA) is running free $50 gift card for PS3 purchase promotion, so check with your local TRU and ask BB manger for price-match.

GL~![/QUOTE]

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Firestorm']Lame deal =/
PS3: $340 on Dell currently
KZ2: $50 on Amazon currently
MGS4: $30 everywhere currently
Total: $420
Deal: $400

$20 off? Not something to go crazy over.[/QUOTE]
But it is a deal as its lower than retail... and there's a good number of people out there that will pay a premium to have something right away rather than wait for it to be shipped.

[quote name='wwe101']if i bought my ps3 last year from best buy and i bought the 2 yr warranty, will they let me return it and pick this up?[/QUOTE]

?

[quote name='Firestorm']Lame deal =/
PS3: $340 on Dell currently
KZ2: $50 on Amazon currently
MGS4: $30 everywhere currently
Total: $420
Deal: $400

$20 off? Not something to go crazy over.[/QUOTE]

Add shipping from Dell to that.

It's about $40 cheaper, in one box, with instant gratification. No waiting for 3 to 5 business days.

I'm surprised that I didn't see any mention of this bundle in the Sunday advertisement, while I am positive I saw the Wall-E/LBP bundle in last week's ad.

[quote name='womfalcs7']Add shipping from Dell to that.

It's about $40 cheaper, in one box, with instant gratification. No waiting for 3 to 5 business days.[/QUOTE]Oh. Didn't know they charged shipping. Free shipping for everything on Dell Canada's website. Maybe I'm just spoiled. We had a deal here where it was $350 (~$299 USD) for a PS3 + Uncharted + Hot Shots Golf. And the two games traded in for $28.50 at the same store.

This is a good deal, but it really isn't as amazing as people are making it out to seem. Especially if you're a part of CAG. These types of prices have been seen multiple times over the last year.

[quote name='BowserClownCar']thx op

will wait for price drop though[/QUOTE]

Just to warn those who are waiting for a price drop/PS3Slim...

The PS3Slim will retail @ $400.

PS3(fat) will get a price drop in the $50-$100 range.

This is a great deal for those who are on the fence right now. Trust me, this is Sony and the Slim will be priced as a "premium" product and you are gonna disappoint yourself if you think Slim will be $300 at launch.(not until Fat stock is gone)

[quote name='wwe101']can anyone confirm if they have the bundles tommorow?[/QUOTE]

I cannot confirm this, though they are "ad dated" (meaning they have to hold them for the ad) for the 12th but stores can technically put them out earlier. Our store put the LBP/Wall-E bundles out a couple of days earlier to boost our sales in Gaming. My guess is by earliest you MIGHT see stores putting them out as early as Thursday (again depending if the manager wants to, while still holding some for the 12th)

I used to have my PS3 which I sold a few months ago, beat MGS4(amazing game BTW) and I've been wanting to play KZ2, I probably wouldn't be playing any other game other than KZ2 and maybe infamous(until I beat that as well) I'm still not sure if I should buy a new PS3 again for Killzone.

When is the slim ps3 coming out?

[quote name='darknight88']
The PS3Slim will retail @ $400.

PS3(fat) will get a price drop in the $50-$100 range.
[/QUOTE]

Source?

[quote name='choffy21']*looks at checking account balance*

*looks at price tag*

*looks at PS3 price drop rumors*

*walks away*[/QUOTE]

QFMT...even if it's still a decent deal, that's still a shitload of cash to be dropping. I really want a Blu-Ray though.

This seems like a great deal because of the sheer quality of the two games you'll be getting. As a 360 only owner, I am tempted to run out right now and pick this up but at the same time these recent bundles simply reinforce the evidence that the SLIM is not only coming but coming soon. We will probably see it in August as many rumors suggested.

I have no idea why darknight88 thinks the Slim will retail for $400, the whole point of it is that it is supposed to be cheaper to manufacture and will be sold at a lower price. Sony would be complete morons to release the slim at $400, the size is not what is holding people back, it is the price! It always has been the price.

I am tempted to get this but feel I should just wait. I have a gaming backlog to get through on the 360 and I have a feeling there will be some sort of 1 game bundle for the Christmas season with the cheaper Slim. Decisions, Decisions.

[quote name='Daemonocracy']I have no idea why darknight88 thinks the Slim will retail for $400, the whole point of it is that it is supposed to be cheaper to manufacture and will be sold at a lower price. Sony would be complete morons to release the slim at $400, the size is not what is holding people back, it is the price! It always has been the price.[/QUOTE]

Look what they're doing with the PSP Go. Despite what positive changes are made and that it's supposedly cheaper to manufacture, it loses the ability to play UMDs and the price is increased to $250. The current PSP isn't going to be phased out at this point so they'll be two different PSPs for two different prices. The idea that they'll drop the price on the phat PS3s and keep the slims at the current price isn't farfatched.

Its hard to think that these bundles aren't leading to something bigger, like a PS3 price drop or a cheap slim ps3.

[quote name='deszaras']Look what they're doing with the PSP Go. Despite what positive changes are made and that it's supposedly cheaper to manufacture, it loses the ability to play UMDs and the price is increased to $250. The current PSP isn't going to be phased out at this point so they'll be two different PSPs for two different prices. The idea that they'll drop the price on the phat PS3s and keep the slims at the current price isn't farfatched.[/QUOTE]

The PSP Go and PS3 Slim are being released for two completely different purposes.

The PSP Go is a premium device that is meant to compliment the existing SKU's. If you want to have the current PSP models, go for them. You're not being forced to pay more. The PSP Go includes on-board flash memory and an improved CPU (probably for non-gaming applications planned.).

The PS3 Slim will be released to replace the current SKU's. It's being released to decrease price.

Sony projects a 30% increase in sales this fiscal year over last. That means a price drop IS coming. Given the holiday season, it's likely coming in the next two to three months. Even this month isn't out of the question.

I predict an early August release of the PS3 Slim with a lowered price. It won't be less than $300, though, so this bundle's price isn't a bad deal at all. A PS3 + two games for $400 is about how much you'd pay then anyway (Assuming they don't bundle games with the Slim.).

Why would anyone think that the new slim is going to be the same price as the fat? (that is, around 300 or "reduced".)

Fat will drop in price and maybe add a game or two to get rid of stock.
Slim will be the price of current fat.

This accomplishes 2 things:

1) consumers who have been on the sidelines will get in on the lower price on the fat, thus increasing the installed base. It helps clear out old stock as well.

2) Those who want the latest and greatest might pick up the PS3 slim anyway. Plus current fat owners might decide to upgrade their fat to a slim.

I will be buying fat at reduced prices with my amazon coupon.

There's no manufacturing problem with the fat right?

womfalc- i'll bet you $1 the PS3 slim, if introduced this year, will not be the same price as a reduced fat. No way. No how. ie: pS3 slim will not be $300.

[quote name='womfalcs7']The PSP Go and PS3 Slim are being released for two completely different purposes.

The PSP Go is a premium device that is meant to compliment the existing SKU's. If you want to have the current PSP models, go for them. You're not being forced to pay more. The PSP Go includes on-board flash memory and an improved CPU (probably for non-gaming applications planned.).

The PS3 Slim will be released to replace the current SKU's. It's being released to decrease price.

Sony projects a 30% increase in sales this fiscal year over last. That means a price drop IS coming. Given the holiday season, it's likely coming in the next two to three months. Even this month isn't out of the question.

I predict an early August release of the PS3 Slim with a lowered price. It won't be less than $300, though, so this bundle's price isn't a bad deal at all. A PS3 + two games for $400 is about how much you'd pay then anyway (Assuming they don't bundle games with the Slim.).[/QUOTE]

Well written analysis! :applause:

For comparison sake, let's look at what Microsoft did last summer. When they knew they would be launching the new 60GB core, they dropped the 20GB to the 299.99 price point ahead of time, and then released the 60GB on its tail at the time inventory was good and cleared. It seems that Sony is opting for bundling rather than a preemptive price drop. However, I would say this makes sense because of the poor margins they are looking at with each console sold. So, I wouldn't be surprised if they let inventory drop this way, then unleash the slim at its new price-point (and the straggler fats at this price point too, although not a great deal of them would be left).

For those of you who are debating whether you want a slim or a fat when the time comes, the slim will be possible because of a 45nm die shrink to the cell, which we'll likely never see in the fat. This will boost reliability, but it was also lower power consumption (The PS3 can consume up to 5x that of a normal blu-ray player when playing movies).

Why drop the prices of a console when you can include 3 dollars of plastic to make 97 dollars extra per unit sold? The margin on these systems is so low that 97 extra dollars might be worth not selling a few consoles so they can actually make some money.

[quote name='deszaras']Look what they're doing with the PSP Go. Despite what positive changes are made and that it's supposedly cheaper to manufacture, it loses the ability to play UMDs and the price is increased to $250. The current PSP isn't going to be phased out at this point so they'll be two different PSPs for two different prices. The idea that they'll drop the price on the phat PS3s and keep the slims at the current price isn't farfatched.[/QUOTE]

Given the PSP Go is a portable product, some people will pay more for the extra portability of the small form factor the PSP Go has...after all, despite Sony's claims, you really can't stick a PSP-3000 in your front pants pocket, but you will be able to do so with the PSP Go. The smaller profile of the PS3 slim doesn't offer any clear extra benefits to the consumer (things like lower power consumption aren't likely to make people run out and buy it) over the current PS3s, so the smaller form factor will not, in itself, justify in consumers minds a premium price. If they weren't interested in a standard $400 PS3, a slim PS3 at $400 won't do anything to change their minds.

[quote name='womfalcs7']The PSP Go and PS3 Slim are being released for two completely different purposes.

I predict an early August release of the PS3 Slim with a lowered price. It won't be less than $300, though, so this bundle's price isn't a bad deal at all. A PS3 + two games for $400 is about how much you'd pay then anyway (Assuming they don't bundle games with the Slim.).[/QUOTE]

Sony is probably going to release the Slim in August for $400 and cut the fat 160gb PS3s down to its new lower price. The 160 gigs will probably begin to sell out by the holiday time, which will be a few months after the Slim has been out. Then during the holiday time, they will then cut the Slim down to the same lower price that the fat 160 gigs were selling at. This makes most sense. Follow me?

Nice deal but as it's been said before the slim will be the 45nm Ps3. So more reliable and also what if a speedier blu-ray drive is installed which eliminated installs.

If you could pick your own two games I would be all over this. Valkyria Chronicles and Infamous for me.

[quote name='wwe101']if i bought my ps3 last year from best buy and i bought the 2 yr warranty, will they let me return it and pick this up?[/QUOTE]

Yeah, since it's an in-box bundle. I did a similar thing with my 360 since it RROD. If the price is lower than when you bought your PS3 you will probably end up with a little store credit.

While its a pretty good bundle I'll be waiting for the slim. I can't imagine lugging the current ps3 to my friends house once in a while. Also, still need to buy another HDTV. I'm also quite sure that depreciation will eventually hit those games too.

Man.. I hope the new Slim doesn't have too many added features upon what they have out now. I'd really regret the Drake's bundle I purchased less than a month back. BUT, I did prefer the PS2 phat over the slim.. so maybe all is not lost.

[quote name='mis0']Man.. I hope the new Slim doesn't have too many added features upon what they have out now. I'd really regret the Drake's bundle I purchased less than a month back. BUT, I did prefer the PS2 phat over the slim.. so maybe all is not lost.[/QUOTE]

I don't think they would try adding anything significant. If PS2 backwards compatibility was added back in then I would be running into the store. But since it's most likely only a revision, I'll be taking my time.

[quote name='iRent']I don't think they would try adding anything significant. If PS2 backwards compatibility was added back in then I would be running into the store. But since it's most likely only a revision, I'll be taking my time.[/QUOTE]

You do know Sony just patented the ability to produce the same EE features through the cell processor now right? Which means that they can roll that out into an update rather than releasing a new console.

For those that didn't want to search for it.

LINK

[quote name='dabamus']Sorry, I was mistaken.

I thought it was MGS4 coming. My bad.

Still, there's an MGS coming for Xbox 360. That's the point.[/QUOTE]

Not the same. MGS:Rising is a different story. Sorry, you lose.

[quote name='RatedRSuperstar']So did anyone buy the bundle?[/QUOTE]

The bundle won't be available until the 12th.

[quote name='NismoZZzz']Ummmm whaaat? MGS4 to 360? Gotta stop smoking the cheeba man.[/QUOTE]

a little off topic i know but ur post had me smiling from ear to ear, can you define cheeba???

[quote name='technole']Not the same. MGS:Rising is a different story. Sorry, you lose.[/QUOTE]

Lose what?

This might be a deal only if amazon.com offers it.

$399.99 + 8.25% taxes (Texas) = $399.99 + $32.99 = $432.99.

You really are only getting KillZone because the taxes cover the cost of buying a standard PS3 + MGS4 on amazon.com.

[quote name='blk00civicsi']You do know Sony just patented the ability to produce the same EE features through the cell processor now right? Which means that they can roll that out into an update rather than releasing a new console.

For those that didn't want to search for it.

LINK[/QUOTE]

Thats cool.

[quote name='poker360']currently have slightly over 400 bucks saved up... Not going to blow it all on a ps3 right now though, however this deal is very interesting. I plan to pick up a ps3 within a month or two, hopefully the slim will be announced! If not, i hope this deal will still be around[/QUOTE]
i got a little Gaming Insider book from best buy today and it says that this bundle is for a limited time only

Don't get me wrong, I think they will drop the price. I'm just saying Sony doesn't always follow what we assume to be smart tactics. Unless I've missed an official announcement, we don't know what exact role the slims are suppose to be(whether they'll be replacing the phats or standing aside). And just because they project a 30% sales increase doesn't mean they are banking on a price drop.
That being said, I thought they made a mistake not dropping it sooner and really hope they do in the next two months. I'd finally get one.

As I said in previous threads, Jack Tretton, SCEA CEO implied its inevitable. From the PSOne to the current PSP. They all get smaller and cost less to produce.

Sony already has reliablity on its side and a sexier design on top of a price drop might reel in those on the sidelines. So they must be getting close to break-even to put these limited bundles out there and to clear out stock of the 80-gig SKU.

As for the PS2 backward compatibility, based on their recent Cell emotion engine emulation patent. It opens up lots of possibilities. But its apparent its not a deal breaker for many. Now once they start to slowly phase out the PS2, then it might be a big deal.

Like I said b4, the Slim will retail @$400 when it comes out. The Fat PS3's will get a price drop to $300 to clear the stock. Once those are gone, Slim will officially drop to $300 along side maybe another SKU(bigger HDD,games etc).

This is what happened with the 60GB SKU --> 80GB SKU. And PSPgo being cheaper to make yet more expensive then PSPslim is another reason why the PS3slim will retail @$400.

All you guys on the fence, get this bundle as is limited time only.

what do you guys think about this bundle. anyone picking it up or is everyone waiting for the possible price drop/slim?

hey for anyone thats seen/got the package, are both games on one disc? that would kick ass becuase i could pick it up at gamestop for prolly dirt cheap in a couple of weeks

[quote name='wwe101']hey for anyone thats seen/got the package, are both games on one disc? that would kick ass becuase i could pick it up at gamestop for prolly dirt cheap in a couple of weeks[/QUOTE]
Likelihood of that is like 2%. These bundles are done with stickers and throwing the games into the box, that way they can be done quickly and cheaply. Look at the past bundles of this type for example. Either way, I hope Killzone gets cheaper at GS.

bread's done
Back