Best Buy - Michael Jackson's This Is It Blu-ray SteelBook™ [1/26/2010]

iNCREDiPiNOY

CAGiversary!
Feedback
216 (100%)
Look like US is getting Michael Jackson's This Is It Blu-ray SteelBook™ here in US. :applause:

Here's the post from Ian via Future Shop forum.

HI all, yes it will be in the US as well, I am not sure with who but exclusive for me up here.

I will ask about the case design, it is def a steelbook, could just be an image mock up and they exagerated the corners.

Thanks

Ian
Future Shop
Merchandise Manager/Movies
Vancouver, BC

Best Buy Exclusive? Maybe...

EDIT: BEST BUY EXCLUSIVE... PRE-ORDER START NEXT WEEK. CHECK FLYER FOR NEXT WEEK.

http://i47.tinypic.com/2re02rk.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
What's the point of getting all three? Reselling? They're just different replica tickets. Doesn't seem like a big deal to me and I'm a fan of MJ.

[quote name='ssjmichael']What's the point of getting all three? Reselling? They're just different replica tickets. Doesn't seem like a big deal to me and I'm a fan of MJ.[/QUOTE]

I don't think he resells. He's mainly a steelbook whore from what I've seen.

[quote name='ssjmichael']What's the point of getting all three? Reselling? They're just different replica tickets. Doesn't seem like a big deal to me and I'm a fan of MJ.[/QUOTE]

Some people are completionists and have to have every release of something. I'm sure many MJ fans will buy all three.

[quote name='Mako1215']I don't think he resells. He's mainly a steelbook whore from what I've seen.[/QUOTE]

There's only one steelbook, so I don't see the point.

There's only 1 steelbook but the actual blu-ray has 3 different lenticular backstage pass. Australia & Germany are getting all 3 backstage passes, artbook, and other bonus.

He's probably buying 3 to have 1 of each pass attached to the back of it sealed.

Incredipinoy don't you buy 2 of every steelbook... one to collect and keep sealed, and one to open and actually watch?

Wait I don't get what that means. What would a Blu-ray sized one be like? Wouldn't this fit the BD discs inside the same way and be just like the one sold by Futureshop? Forgive my ignorance :(

[quote name='ssjmichael']Wait I don't get what that means. What would a Blu-ray sized one be like? Wouldn't this fit the BD discs inside the same way and be just like the one sold by Futureshop? Forgive my ignorance :([/QUOTE]

It's the size of a DVD case, not a Blu-Ray case.

[quote name='DetroitSportsFan']It's the size of a DVD case, not a Blu-Ray case.[/QUOTE]

Oh that's it? I don't really see that as a big deal to be honest. Since they're making this for both DVD and Blu-ray, it makes sense to cater to the majority.

My Best Buy did not have them. Even though they were in the ad and they had yellow sign up about the steelbook pre-order. That's lame if they are DVD sized since the ad says DVD or Blu-Ray and shows two different cases. Costumer service said they won't get them in until Tuesday mourning.

Yeah I work at a Best Buy in Florida, and indeed the steelbooks are coming out on Tuesday. We have them in the back of the store with a big sticker that's says "Do not sell until Dec. 15th".

It was pretty obvious that it was DVD-sized, from the preview pictures of it, and the pic in the ad.

Which is good, if you ask me. I HATE blu-ray-sized cases, and especially Blu-Ray-sized steelbooks; I prefer more room for the artwork.

I'd prefer to keep my steelbooks all the same size. I might end up ordering it from Amazon Germany for the bluray sized steelbook.

[quote name='gareman']My Best Buy did not have them. Even though they were in the ad and they had yellow sign up about the steelbook pre-order. That's lame if they are DVD sized since the ad says DVD or Blu-Ray and shows two different cases. Costumer service said they won't get them in until Tuesday mourning.[/QUOTE]

They don't show two steelbooks in the ad. They show the regular Blu-ray packaging next to a DVD sized steelbook.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']It was pretty obvious that it was DVD-sized, from the preview pictures of it, and the pic in the ad.

Which is good, if you ask me. I HATE blu-ray-sized cases, and especially Blu-Ray-sized steelbooks; I prefer more room for the artwork.[/QUOTE]

I have the actual ad and the blu-ray case could very well be a steelbook version. Its rather ambiguous.

It's lame that they say don't display them until the 15th considering the big yellow advertisement above all the MJ cds says offer is good starting the 13th.

For the dude that works at Best Buy is it indeed only one kind of steelbook?

[quote name='gareman']I have the actual ad and the blu-ray case could very well be a steelbook version. Its rather ambiguous.[/QUOTE]

Look at the width-to-height. That is clearly a DVD-size case. Furthermore, the Blu-Ray cover art has more empty space to either side of the MJ silhouette; the steelbook shows the narrower art.

[quote name='ssjmichael']Yes but they're both still the same steelbook design. The different SKU's are just because they each come with a different replica tickets from his planned London show.[/QUOTE]

Then why aren't there 3 SKUs instead of 2? There's 3 different replica tickets.

[quote name='DetroitSportsFan']Then why aren't there 3 SKUs instead of 2? There's 3 different replica tickets.[/QUOTE]

I don't know, but what's more likely, that they're are two different sized steelbooks or each one has a different replica ticket?

Got mine today. They are dvd sized and for some reason in the music section NOT the bluray section so look there if you cant find them.

[quote name='kawikabot']Got mine today. They are dvd sized and for some reason in the music section NOT the bluray section so look there if you cant find them.[/QUOTE]

I did look there and all they had was sign for the pre-order bonus...damn, I'll check tomorrow again......

Not too thrilled about it being DVD sized but I'll still pick it up.

I am thinking there still is a chance for a blu ray steelbook because when you order it from Bestbuy you have to add which steelbook you want to the cart.

Maybe there is some mess up on the shipping for the blu ray cases and that's why some BB are holding off and others are selling just the DVD cases.

[quote name='philmcfly']He's probably buying 3 to have 1 of each pass attached to the back of it sealed.

Incredipinoy don't you buy 2 of every steelbook... one to collect and keep sealed, and one to open and actually watch?[/QUOTE]

I usually buy 2 or 3 of each.

I bought a few today - they're all DVD sized... but have a sticker on the front indicating which one you're preordering - the blu or the dvd... there is no blu sized steelbook for this

OK, now I'm upset!!!

So I go to BB and look for the steelbook. I find the DVD sized steelbook everyone is mentioning. I look on the front and it says DVD Exclusive. It says DVD on the spine and on the back it only mentions DVD this DVD that. It ONLY has a DVD preorder SKU. No mention of Blu-ray anywhere.

So I look around for a BD preorder steelbook and find nothing. I ask the manager and she looks online and says the only way to preorder the BD is to do it online and pay the $29.99 asking price upfront.

I decide to just go ahead buy the $5 DVD steelbook preorder. So now I'm stuck with the stupid DVD pre-order even though I plan on getting the BD version.

Anyone find the BD preorder in store?

[quote name='mrhappi79']OK, now I'm upset!!!

So I go to BB and look for the steelbook. I find the DVD sized steelbook everyone is mentioning. I look on the front and it says DVD Exclusive. It says DVD on the spine and on the back it only mentions DVD this DVD that. It ONLY has a DVD preorder SKU. No mention of Blu-ray anywhere.

So I look around for a BD preorder steelbook and find nothing. I ask the manager and she looks online and says the only way to preorder the BD is to do it online and pay the $29.99 asking price upfront.

I decide to just go ahead buy the $5 DVD steelbook preorder. So now I'm stuck with the stupid DVD pre-order even though I plan on getting the BD version.

Anyone find the BD preorder in store?[/QUOTE]

When I got mine on Sunday there were only DVD pre-orders in the store I usually frequent.

I did manage to find some BD pre-orders at another store today though.

Got mine. :)

It's DVD sized (like I was hoping) and really good looking, though I wished they'd used some more matte effects to make the art pop a bit more. Still, very happy.

[quote name='mrhappi79']OK, now I'm upset!!!

Anyone find the BD preorder in store?[/QUOTE]

The BD and DVD were out on the floor at my BB - they had some in the music section and a few more in the overstock area.

The only difference between the 2 is the sticker on the front that says either BD or DVD exclusive and the backpaper that has the sku

DVD 043396340176
BD 043396340657

The steelbooks are identical - including the DVD logo on the spine

Bought 2 of each

[quote name='Mako1215']Why?[/QUOTE]
Ebay is going to be beyond flooded with these things. Good luck trying to sell them all.

Yeah, I was a bit disappointed as well. I went to my local BB and went to pick up the last steel book they had ,but I was under the impression it would apply towards the Blu Ray as well, but I learned that wasn't the case at the cashier.

I'm a bit disappointed in the fact that the Blu Ray steel book pre-orders were gone, but I got another one to keep. =)

I think I'll end up ordering the Smooth Criminal Blu Ray to save me the trouble of another incident in which 'it sells out'.

[quote name='RyanTheGNR']Yeah, I was a bit disappointed as well. I went to my local BB and went to pick up the last steel book they had ,but I was under the impression it would apply towards the Blu Ray as well, but I learned that wasn't the case at the cashier.

I'm a bit disappointed in the fact that the Blu Ray steel book pre-orders were gone, but I got another one to keep. =)

I think I'll end up ordering the Smooth Criminal Blu Ray to save me the trouble of another incident in which 'it sells out'.[/QUOTE]

As mentioned above mine didn't either but here's what to do. It worked for me.

Have them exchange your dvd preorder for item number 9673859. That's the bluray preorder one. Ask to keep the steelbook since they're the same.

This is one solution to the problem. If you explain the situation to them and they're reasonable, it should work out just fine and dandy.

^^yeah, but if he doesn't open it, that's going to looked jacked w/ DVD indications on the package and then have the actual BD copy..

Also, a 10% Reward Zone coupon will work on this if you've got one this week. I used mine and it took off .50 cents..lol!

Thanks, and if all else fails, I can simply get a refund on the receipt sometime down the line as noted on the back of the steel book. Doubt they'd ask for the steel book then.

If not, I'll keep the steel book, I'm not a collector or anything so I personally wouldn't mind it saying 'DVD' on the back.

[quote name='token2k6']^^yeah, but if he doesn't open it, that's going to looked jacked w/ DVD indications on the package and then have the actual BD copy..[/QUOTE]

ALL steelbooks say DVD on the spine, regardless of it being BD or DVD. So that would be the only indication of it being 'jacked' if you plan on opening it. But that's for EVERYONE.

If you DO NOT open it then yes, in addition to the aforementioned DVD indicators, it will read 'DVD Exclusive' on the front package and mention DVD on the back carton backing.

[quote name='token2k6']^^yeah, but if he doesn't open it, that's going to looked jacked w/ DVD indications on the package and then have the actual BD copy..

Also, a 10% Reward Zone coupon will work on this if you've got one this week. I used mine and it took off .50 cents..lol![/QUOTE]

I used a coupon on a pre-order once at BB and the way it looked on the receipt eventually led to me only receiving that much credit towards the actual item when I went to pick it up. Just a word of warning in case folks are actually planning to cash in their pre-orders, because it might be an issue.

This seemed more appropriate in this thread than the generic This Is It thread-- if you preordered online, watch out-- I got sent the wrong version of the movie. They apparently changed which "version" was which; when I ordered version 2 was Smooth Criminal, and my invoice reflects that. However, Version 2's SKU on the website is now the generic red "pointing" cover and that is what I was sent, even though the disc says "Version 1".

So now I get play "fix Best Buy's screwup" because they're incapable of keeping orders and SKUs straight (This after I had to order 4 copies of Chuck S2 because of their employees not checking if it was REALLY the LE with comic book, which I never was able to track down).

ARGH!

(I know, I shouldn't have ordered online, but when the steelbooks were available I was getting over surgery and had no way to make sure to get a steelbook-- now I can see them penalizing me trying to fix this)

I did the same thing and had the same problem. I called the local Best Buy and they pulled aside a copy of the Smooth Criminal bluray for me. It was a quick and easy exchange, thankfully.

[quote name='thelonepig']I did the same thing and had the same problem. I called the local Best Buy and they pulled aside a copy of the Smooth Criminal bluray for me. It was a quick and easy exchange, thankfully.[/QUOTE]

I went to the BB near my work today and the very confused customer service rep just ended up returning my entire online order (including the steelbook I didn't have with me) and re-rang up a new purchase for the right one (and let me PM to Fry's $23.77 price..!!), as she couldn't figure out how to just swap out the Bluray since they're different SKUs without messing up the bundle price.

Not sure if she did it the right way but it got taken care of, so that's all that matters. The backstage pass is actually pretty cool..!

[quote name='Justin42']This seemed more appropriate in this thread than the generic This Is It thread-- if you preordered online, watch out-- I got sent the wrong version of the movie. They apparently changed which "version" was which; when I ordered version 2 was Smooth Criminal, and my invoice reflects that. However, Version 2's SKU on the website is now the generic red "pointing" cover and that is what I was sent, even though the disc says "Version 1".

So now I get play "fix Best Buy's screwup" because they're incapable of keeping orders and SKUs straight (This after I had to order 4 copies of Chuck S2 because of their employees not checking if it was REALLY the LE with comic book, which I never was able to track down).

ARGH!

(I know, I shouldn't have ordered online, but when the steelbooks were available I was getting over surgery and had no way to make sure to get a steelbook-- now I can see them penalizing me trying to fix this)[/QUOTE]

Same thing happened to me, I'm just not sure if it's worth bringing it back for a little card thing I'll look at once, unless someone convinces me otherwise before I open the movie.

[quote name='ProtoEXE88']Same thing happened to me, I'm just not sure if it's worth bringing it back for a little card thing I'll look at once, unless someone convinces me otherwise before I open the movie.[/QUOTE]

I will say the card surprised me. It is about post card sized and the 3-D looks pretty damn cool. It would look great in a small frame. The back is pretty cool featuring a slick minimally designed "back stage pass". Pretty cool something I would consider picking up for under 5 bucks by it self. Then again I am a pretty huge MJ fan.

bread's done
Back