Best Buy Offering a free game for PS3 returns

Keep this in mind. "It's important to note that this isn't an advertised sale, it's an internal memo. So it may be up to the store manager's discretion how often to offer the deal. I'd also assume that this would only hold for Playstation 3's purchased within the past 30 days and with a valid receipt."

it cost 400$ for the cheapest ps3 before the slim dropped, you save 100$ if you go with the slim, the game they throw in is 60$, I would just return the system and go with the slim and save yourself 40$.

[quote name='asianlikerice']it cost 400$ for the cheapest ps3 before the slim dropped, you save 100$ if you go with the slim, the game they throw in is 60$, I would just return the system and go with the slim and save yourself 40$.[/QUOTE]

It's a free game AND a price match.

This would be interesting if it works out.
cagus.smile.jpg

[quote name='asianlikerice']it cost 400$ for the cheapest ps3 before the slim dropped, you save 100$ if you go with the slim, the game they throw in is 60$, I would just return the system and go with the slim and save yourself 40$.[/QUOTE]

I doubt this is an 'avoid a price match' strategy but more of an 'avoid having accept a return on used hardware that they'll only get $200-ish reselling via dealtree' strategy.

Tried this at two separate Best Buys and they didn't offer me anything, they just went through with the return. Both times I had to tell them I was going to my car to get my PS3, then I just left.

Going back tomorrow when there's hopefully a new clerk behind the counter, and this time I'm going to mention that "I heard you guys were offering some kind of 'counter offer' for PS3 returns."

wait... I would assume that your PS3 should still be UNOPENED to be qualified, right?

EDIT: Ok... so I was a bit hasty there...

According to this:
http://www.bestbuy.com/olspage.jsp?type=page&contentId=1117177044087&id=cat12098

"Non-returnable items
Some items are not able to be returned, including:
Labor, delivery, and/or installation services
Pre-paid cards such as music, photo, video, or phone cards
Consumable items such as food, drink and batteries
Items that are damaged or abused
Items that are missing accessories, such as remote controls, cords, and cables
Etched or otherwise personalized items
Opened computer software, movies, music and video games can be exchanged for the identical item but cannot be returned for a refund"

My PS3 bundle comes with 2 games in the box. Both are opened and played... and according to the section above, opened video games aren't returnable.... so how would this pan out? Certainly they can't deny my return of the system all together?!

[quote name='XClaude']My PS3 bundle comes with 2 games in the box. Both are opened and played... and according to the section above, opened video games aren't returnable.... so how would this pan out? Certainly they can't deny my return of the system all together?![/QUOTE]

I'm sure they would let you return the system.

If that's the case... then I can get upgraded to a Slim!

I paid $399.99 on August 2. Minus 15% restocking fee($60) leaving me with $340.
Buy PS3 Slim for $299.99 will leave me with $40, which is perfect for MGS4($30). Getting me $10 into my pocket.

Assuming they refund me the tax from original purchase too then all my taxes are covered. I would be short on Killzone 2 in the end... since my original bundle came with KZ2 and MGS4(which is why i would have to buy it again) But I booted up KZ2 for 10 min and didn't like it... and that I'll be gaining 40GB more!

Anyone think this is worth the $60 restocking fee? Or my math goes wrong somewhere? :D

[quote name='XClaude']
My PS3 bundle comes with 2 games in the box. Both are opened and played... and according to the section above, opened video games aren't returnable.... so how would this pan out? Certainly they can't deny my return of the system all together?![/QUOTE]

In this case, the games are just things that were in the box vs being sold themselves...you didn't actually 'purchase' the games, you purchased a PS3 that also had games inside with it....they'll expect that you return them with the PS3 but they won't hold you up because the games are open.

And by my reading of the terms on that webpage, I don't think they'll even charge you a restocking fee either

Well, on the website it states that bundled items would have their cost added on to the original cost. Assuming they go through with that, they'd subtract the cost of the games from whatever amount would be returned to you. I guess it just depends on who you speak with and what they think about it.

[quote name='VipFREAK']Restocking fees are gay... Either way, I don't get this "deal" and I'll just stick with my 60gb BC.[/QUOTE]

Please explain to me and your fellow forum members exactly how restocking fees are, in fact, homosexual.

If, by chance, you can't do that, kindly fuck off.

[quote name='XClaude']If that's the case... then I can get upgraded to a Slim!

I paid $399.99 on August 2. Minus 15% restocking fee($60) leaving me with $340.
Buy PS3 Slim for $299.99 will leave me with $40, which is perfect for MGS4($30). Getting me $10 into my pocket.

Assuming they refund me the tax from original purchase too then all my taxes are covered. I would be short on Killzone 2 in the end... since my original bundle came with KZ2 and MGS4(which is why i would have to buy it again) But I booted up KZ2 for 10 min and didn't like it... and that I'll be gaining 40GB more!

Anyone think this is worth the $60 restocking fee? Or my math goes wrong somewhere? :D[/QUOTE]

I called my local Best Buy the day after the price drop to see if I could get anything. I had bought the bundle 31 days before the price drop. I was going to argue about the extra day and see if I could get coerce a manager into some good will, but first they also mentioned they weren't doing the match on bundles. I'll note the woman said this after having to put me on hold to ask (I assume a mgr) and I didn't come out and say I had the bundle..just a PS3.

I suppose that makes sense, since you are in essence returning the item to buy the same item at a lower price...you just never actually return it. From what I've seen, the KZ2/MSG4 bundle wasn't available online or in any of my local stores for a couple weeks now, so I wouldn't be able to "buy" another bundle at $299.

Considering KZ2 is about $50 and MSG4 is about $30, I essentially only paid ~$320 for the PS3. I can live with the $20, and the only thing I like better about the Slim is the prospect of being more energy efficient. I did plan on trying to put Linux on my Fat though, so good thing I have it.

Okay can someone help me out with this? I bought a 40 GB PS3 two Decembers ago [2007] for $400 which means my two year warrenty is still in effect. My PS3 is currently having feezing problems so I have to go exchange it. What happens now? They no longer have any 40 GBs in their system so do I get a Slim and $100 back?

[quote name='IXI Dragunz IXI']Okay can someone help me out with this? I bought a 40 GB PS3 two Decembers ago [2007] for $400 which means my two year warrenty is still in effect. My PS3 is currently having feezing problems so I have to go exchange it. What happens now? They no longer have any 40 GBs in their system so do I get a Slim and $100 back?[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure about what Ps3 you'll get, but you should get a $100 refund. I bought my Ps3 about 2 years ago, and was told if anything happens to it I get a new one and a refund of difference if it drops in price. So it won't hurt to go and try. That $100 could come in handy, plus if your Ps3 is constantly freezing you should want a new one. I would try my warranty, but I don't wanna risk losing backwards compatibility.

[quote name='speedrunner17']I'm not sure about what Ps3 you'll get, but you should get a $100 refund. I bought my Ps3 about 2 years ago, and was told if anything happens to it I get a new one and a refund of difference if it drops in price. So it won't hurt to go and try. That $100 could come in handy, plus if your Ps3 is constantly freezing you should want a new one. I would try my warranty, but I don't wanna risk losing backwards compatibility.[/QUOTE]

They said they would give me a $400 gift card.

WHOOHOOO!

Woohoo! and I just got back with a PS3 slim!

PS3 bundle refunded full to credit card($435 and change). Walked in and picked up the slim and MGS4(non red). Total came out to be $358 and change.

Basically I returned a game I didn't like(KZ2), pockets $75, and gained 40GB! I'm stoked.

As to be on topic... There was absolutely no mention of any free game throughout the entire process. Even goes through with the geeksquad guy to check console.

Nice to hear you made out well XClaude. That is a good deal you got there and you were lucky to excape a BB Price-Matching run with your life :lol:

Tried again today and it worked! I got inFAMOUS and $100 dollars back, even though I bought the LBP+Wall-E bundle ;)

I might have even gotten $200 dollars back by mistake. The clerk I tried this on yesterday didn't seem too bright, and I think she may have refunded me an extra $100 bucks. When I checked my checking account balance this morning, there was a mysterious $100 dollars that wasn't there yesterday. I went to the bank for a list of my transactions to check, but it was still few days behind. If that is the case, however, and BB gave me $200 dollars back, that means I basically paid $200 dollars total for a PS3, LBP, inFAMOUS, and a Wall-E bluray. This makes me very happy...

I would never consider doing this because I'd probably feel really bad about it, but just out of curiosity, has BB set up any sort of defence to prevent me from simply walking into another store and doing this again? I still have my receipt and they refunded me in cash, so there's no record of it on my debit card...

?

Any sort of pricematch should have produced another receipt and you should have gotten that receipt. Each transaction is tracked, I highly doubt Best Buy simply opened up the cash register and handed you $100 cash.

Just a note for anyone doing an exchange/return:

Everyone make sure you DEACTIVATE your PSN account for both GAME and VIDEO in account management and format the PS3 before returning it.

[quote name='chuckywang']Any sort of pricematch should have produced another receipt and you should have gotten that receipt. Each transaction is tracked, I highly doubt Best Buy simply opened up the cash register and handed you $100 cash.[/QUOTE]

^ You're right. I couldn't find my the receipt for the refund at first, but I just checked my car and found it; slid out of my pocket.

All of their receipts are tied together and transactions can be seen (regardless of where you go) via reward zone and transaction number IIRC.

I would really like to get a slim and I have until January to make my 40 gb break :)

Even though the game does occassionally freeze on a few games and sound skips (flower, fallout 3, TFU) Im betting best buy is going to be very skeptical on a 40 gb return and not fix it unless it is srsly broke. Curse you sony, for making your sturdiest ps3 be a 40 gb system!

Ok I saw one guy get the new slim, I don't care about upgrading but it would be nice. I do not know where the **** my receipt is and I bought my PS3 40GB w/SpiderMan3 on November 12, 2007. IF I can find my receipt would they allow me to KEEP my ps3 and just give me a 100 dollar gift card? And if I have to upgrade, is there a way to transfer purchases? cause I JUST bought Fat Princess..

[quote name='jigsaw918']please help me....[/QUOTE]
what u do is deactivate your ps3 before you trade it in, and when you sign up for an account on your new slim, select existing member/account. then just login with your old info that you had and you will be able to redownload fat princess from your download history in your account manager.

playstation allows 1 account to download games on up to 5 different consoles. so even if you didnt deactivate your account by accident you would still be able to redownload it on 4 other consoles with your same account.

also, will I be able to just bring my PS3 to best buy and have them switch it with a Slim easily or does my PS3 really have to be having issues? Cause it's too good to have any issues lol

[quote name='jigsaw918']Ok I saw one guy get the new slim, I don't care about upgrading but it would be nice. I do not know where the **** my receipt is and I bought my PS3 40GB w/SpiderMan3 on November 12, 2007. IF I can find my receipt would they allow me to KEEP my ps3 and just give me a 100 dollar gift card? And if I have to upgrade, is there a way to transfer purchases? cause I JUST bought Fat Princess..[/QUOTE]

I believe you have had to purchased the Best Buy 2 years warranty and be within the 2 years limit AND your PS3 must be failing in some way.

You can't just walk in with a perfectly working PS3 that you bought 2 years ago without any additional warranty and expect them to give u $100 or a new slim.

Sofa - I wouldn't try your luck at another store. It's still possible for one of those $100 to be reversed when they check their books. It sucks, I've had that happen to me. Just be happy you got what you did.

[quote name='chuckywang']My warranty ends in Dec 09 ... is there anything I can do to get this PM?[/QUOTE]

Yeah - you can drop it off the roof of your house.

[quote name='jigsaw918']ok..when u say deactive, what exactly does that mean, delete everything off??[/QUOTE]

it means deactivate your account, exactly what he said.

you can have up to 16 or so accounts on your ps3. one is the main account. you can buy games on any account. each account can be on up to 5 ps3s, and all of those ps3s get any PSN games bought on that account. if you want to add a 6th machine, that account must be deactivated on one of the first 5.

so, before you return your PS3, you should write down all of your account emails and passwords, deactivate them all on your ps3, and then reactivate them when you get your new ps3.

i don't know why i bother typing out this information everytime someone asks, when 2 seconds of googling would have gotten you your answer.

Good luck this those who are trying to get the $100 in difference. I bought a PS3 about almost 2 yrs ago. With the warrenty switched it out for a slim on Friday. They automatically adjusted the price of my 40G on the receipt to $300 so I had to pay a bit out of my pocket for a new 2 year warrenty.

[quote name='CaoPi']Good luck this those who are trying to get the $100 in difference. I bought a PS3 about almost 2 yrs ago. With the warrenty switched it out for a slim on Friday. They automatically adjusted the price of my 40G on the receipt to $300 so I had to pay a bit out of my pocket for a new 2 year warrenty.[/QUOTE]

It has always been my experience that this is what the actual store policy is when you are able to get a direct exchange of near identical goods. I have never received the difference when consoles have dropped.

So here's my scenario

I got the KZ2 and MGS4 bundle but that was a little over a month ago (7/12) and I didn't get an extended warranty so would it still work if I walked into BB with my receipt and asked about price matching and/or free games?

Any help is much appreciated, thanks!

[quote name='TheBiz']So here's my scenario

I got the KZ2 and MGS4 bundle but that was a little over a month ago (7/12) and I didn't get an extended warranty so would it still work if I walked into BB with my receipt and asked about price matching and/or free games?

Any help is much appreciated, thanks![/QUOTE]

Sadly that's a fat no. :/

Only reason I was able to have them take it back was because I bought my bundle on 8/2/09, which was still under the 30 days return policy.

bread's done
Back