Best Buy PS3 HD 120 gig on clearance! Possible YMMV

Rounders55

CAGiversary!
I jsut came back from BB and I've been looking to get a cheap HD upgrade for my PS3 for a while. The fact that mine is a 20 gig makes me need a larger capacity one even more. I found a WD Scorpio notebook 120 gig HD for 57 bucks on clearance. There were only a few left. I think most 120 gigs online are around 70 bucks or so now plus shipping so this is a pretty good deal.

SKU# 8353658

[quote name='Rounders55']I jsut came back from BB and I've been looking to get a cheap HD upgrade for my PS3 for a while. The fact that mine is a 20 gig makes me need a larger capacity one even more. I found a WD Scorpio notebook 120 gig HD for 57 bucks on clearance. There were only a few left. I think most 120 gigs online are around 70 bucks or so now plus shipping so this is a pretty good deal.

SKU# 8353658[/quote]

Is this online also?

not a great deal considering the ps3 can take normal hdd which are a lot cheaper than the PS3 made hdd which are way more expensive. just like wii memory cards, pay like triple for a sd card ~_~

[quote name='Squarehard']not a great deal considering the ps3 can take normal hdd which are a lot cheaper than the PS3 made hdd which are way more expensive. just like wii memory cards, pay like triple for a sd card ~_~[/quote]

What are you talking about? The drive he is referring is not a "PS3 hard drive," which are just OEM drives, anyway. This is a Western Digital Scorpio.

[quote name='seanr1221']Damn I'd love one of these, but what would be the best way to get all the current stuff off my ps3? External HDD?[/quote]

Yes. The PS3 has a back-up/restore feature, so just use the external to back up the old drive, remove it, install the new drive, and then restore.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']Yes. The PS3 has a back-up/restore feature, so just use the external to back up the old drive, remove it, install the new drive, and then restore.[/QUOTE]

And what about my arcade games? Just re-download them?

[quote name='seanr1221']And what about my arcade games? Just re-download them?[/quote]

Do not quote me on this, because I have yet to back-up/restore my PS3's hard drive, but I would assume that after restoration, it will be basically the same as before. Before you do a back-up, it warns you to restore the drive onto the system in question and not another one, because certain content will not be restored if you try it on another system. I would assume that this certain content is things like games and other purchased content.

In the end, if I am wrong, yes, you would have to redownload your games. Everything is stored in your user account, so you would just have to go in there and download the stuff again.

[quote name='seanr1221']And what about my arcade games? Just re-download them?[/quote]

I've been told that you go into your past downloads list and redownload from that list.

[quote name='SiteSeer']I've been told that you go into your past downloads list and redownload from that list.[/QUOTE]
And if that's the case, if you've done any of the sharing in the PS3 forum, you might be out of luck. If you bought the game yourself, you might have some downloads left and if you traded for it from someone else, you're SOL.

[quote name='torifile']And if that's the case, if you've done any of the sharing in the PS3 forum, you might be out of luck. If you bought the game yourself, you might have some downloads left and if you traded for it from someone else, you're SOL.[/quote]You can download up to 5, so if you reach the game sharing limit, you may have to try and call Sony to fernaggle the games back.

Game sharing is legit though, so I don't see why they'd turn you down.

[quote name='SNKMat']Too bad the 360 can't use third party hdd's[/quote]

yeah but you technically void your PS3 warranty by using 3rd party hdd's

You will notice when you do the backup that it tells you that settings and user information are not backed up (don't want to accidentally give someone else your credit card info!). Before you restore,sign in to your old PSN account, and then everything should restore fine including arcade games. It's not counted as another download of the games.

[quote name='Malik112099']yeah but you technically void your PS3 warranty by using 3rd party hdd's[/quote]

False. The manual specifically says this does NOT void the warranty.

Please don't post on a topic like this if you don't even have a PS3.

[quote name='Malik112099']yeah but you technically void your PS3 warranty by using 3rd party hdd's[/quote]

I don't think so. While 3rd party accessories generally void your warranty, there are no first-party Sony HD upgrades. I don't think there would be anyway they could void your warranty in this situation. They are telling you how to do something, telling you that it doesn't void your warranty, and not supplying a 1st party product to do the upgrade with.

[quote name='Draknight']there is a reason why the PS3 comes with a Seagate HDD out of the box. Its because the HDD are 3rd party to begin with.[/QUOTE]

My 360 came with a Seagate out of the box and its not 3rd party ;)

HDD failure is the only thing not covered with an upgraded hard drive and you get 5 downloads per console, so even if you traded, you are fine.

Does replacing the harddrive change the console according to the PSN? If not, you should be fine for games your bought or games you shared.

Remember it's downloaded to 5 different systems, not 5 downloads total.

comp usa had some notebook harddrives on clearance. I bought two toshiba 2.5 SATA 160gb drives (one for ps3, once for notebook) for 77.49ea I thought it was a pretty decent deal. Of course its YMMV. these drives were found in the miami comp usa store 826 expwy and 12th ave

Just to follow up: I replaced my old 20 gig with my new WD 120 gig and the 2 PSN games I had on it carried over without me having to redl it. It's great! 111 gigs of free space!

[quote name='donkeydrop']False. The manual specifically says this does NOT void the warranty.

Please don't post on a topic like this if you don't even have a PS3.[/quote]

ahh..i heard this a while back (before the system came out i think on gizmodo or something) and have always thought that to be true......using 3rd party a/v cables still voids the warranty though, right?

Hmm..interesting..I was thinking of upgrading my PS3 HD , but want to know 100% from a BB employee that if I upgrade my BB PS3 warranty won't be affected

I'd think a BB employee would be the LAST person in the world you'd want to take advice from. (no offense to the highly competent CAG BB employees... but c'mon, some of the people you work with are pretty clueless. ;) )

It doesn't void your warranty as long as you follow the instructions to the letter and don't do anything stupid (like take apart the console to do it-- the HD's in a tray). My PS3 came with instructions on exactly how to do it, and Sony's written this up on the official blog:
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2007/12/28/playstation-tips-5-diy-hard-drive-upgrade/

Just do the swap, and if something happens that you need to take the unit back, swap the original drive back in.

using a hard drive connected to the usb does not void your warranty, since usb ports are a standard

switching out the internal hard drive to another hard drive does void your warranty
any modification not performed by sony can and will void your warranty
also your warranty is no good if you dont have a receipt or some sort of proof of purchase for your system anyways

switching out the internal hard drive to another hard drive does void your warranty

What warranty are we talking about, now? Your Sony warranty or a store bought protection policy? It is already well-established that upgrading your HD in a PS3 is not against the warranty.

Why do people post when they have no idea what they are talking about?

Upgrading your PS3 harddrive does not, repeat, does not void the warranty.

They designed it to use a standard 2.5" drive, and put that drive in a removable tray for a reason. You do not have to open your PS3 to upgrade this.

Not only does the PS3 user manual detail how to do this, Sony themselves have made no secret that this is perfectly acceptable. It is an intended feature, and users are encouraged to do it if they come to need additional storage space.

Speaking of upgrading drives, Tigerdirect has a 250gb 2.5" SATA drive for $99.99 plus shipping, as we speak.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicat...ffiliateID=lw9MynSeamY-sztReNRxthjA3ck3_f3JlA

Enjoy.

You know taking the PS3 out of the box voids the warranty. Also, connecting your Xbox 360 to Xbox LIVE will void your warranty.

Eating chicken noodle soup with a soda on the side while playing a Wii will get you arrested in 16 states, as well as void your warranty.

Last, but not least, remember that if you have a 360 and a PS3 hooked up to the same TV, it will void your TV's warranty, and ban you from Xbox LIVE and the Playstation Network, and a midgit will show up at your house wearing a thong, and will be followed shortly by a camera crew, and an orgy.

I can smell a troll smells like bill gates:whistle2:--). Seriously though stop posting if u don't own a PS3. It does not void warranty if u change ur ps3 hard drive.

Does anyone else find it ironic that the people that are up in arms about warranties are 360 owners? :whistle2:k

In case anybody still cares.

When I did a backup of my original drive to an external HDD, it copied over all my games and demos.

I didn't have to redownload a thing.

Anybody that says swaping your ps3 harddrive voids your warranty doesnt own one this is clearly stated in the instruction book and on the sony blog and sony made one first party HD it was for ps2

[quote name='eastx']Can somebody explicitly state what types of hard drives are compatible with the PS3? I forget.[/QUOTE]

2.5" SATA

Ah, thanks. I assume that a 7200 RPM drive would provide faster loading and saving than a 5200 RPM drive would, right?

[quote name='eastx']Ah, thanks. I assume that a 7200 RPM drive would provide faster loading and saving than a 5200 RPM drive would, right?[/QUOTE]

Yes, but for consoles, you want 5200 RPM or else they would overheat.

[quote name='suko_32']Yes, but for consoles, you want 5200 RPM or else they would overheat.[/QUOTE]

Are you absolutely certain? I mean, the PS3 doesn't have overheating problems in general...

[quote name='torifile']What do you need to do to back up your HD? Do you need some sort of external enclosure for the old one?[/QUOTE]

You only need to backup your saves. Just DL them to a flash drive.

[quote name='eastx']Are you absolutely certain? I mean, the PS3 doesn't have overheating problems in general...[/quote]

I've never heard of anyone with a 7200rpm drive having heat problems. Sure, in theory you would, but in practice, no one has ever had a problem.

And yes, it will cut a second or 2 off of some loads. Someone did a test comparing a 5400rpm drive to a 7200rpm drive. Of course, YMMV.

[quote name='eastx']Are you absolutely certain? I mean, the PS3 doesn't have overheating problems in general...[/QUOTE]

Not super sure since I don't have experience with PS3 & inserting a new HD. It's just what I've heard whenever this topic pops up.

bread's done
Back