Best Buy really doesn't get used games.

listerfeend

CAG Veteran
So my local Best Buy started selling used games recently. I went to check it out today and I found multiple (MULTIPLE) instances where the used game was more expensive than the new game (at regular price).

Anyone else seen this?

NWu4D.jpg

Sorry if this is so huge...

[quote name='JasonTerminator']Gamestop has been doing this for years.[/QUOTE]

Actually, in the few times I've ever been in a Gamestop I've actually never seen a used game priced MORE than the new game.

It's weird.

Man.

[quote name='listerfeend']Actually, in the few times I've ever been in a Gamestop I've actually never seen a used game priced MORE than the new game.

It's weird.

Man.[/QUOTE]

You have not been there often enough.:roll: I don't know how legal this is, but they also have opened new merchandise and marked it as 'used' to sell for slightly less (of course, they keep 100% of the profit then.)

Once Gamestop (or any company) buys something from another company, they can sell it however they like. That other company has already been paid.

And there are time when Gamestop will have a new game on sale for a lower price than the used one. Doesn't happen very often.

[quote name='listerfeend']Actually, in the few times I've ever been in a Gamestop I've actually never seen a used game priced MORE than the new game.

It's weird.

Man.[/QUOTE]

When I used to shop with them (granted it been a while now since I went into a gamestop store) I would see them fairly often. Not like constantly, allover the store but Id seen them fairly often.

I would see used games like 5 dollars more than the used copy. I asked once if it was right and the guy checked it and he said it was right. Of course he said "Thats because its rare and they dont make it anymore so you should buy it now while you can cause it will be worth a lot one day".

[quote name='ninja dog']I hear gamestop opens new games but doesn't charge the used price. Isn't that illegal fraud?[/QUOTE]

BS. I've been here for 2+ years and never heard about this.

I wonder if you actually had them scan the game. it's possible that they changed the price without updating the sticker, you know. same deal with gamestop. it's like you guys expect the stickers to update automatically or actually think people aren't lazy at their job. it's not too hard to say "hey, can I get a price check on this?"

[quote name='ninja dog']I hear gamestop opens new games but doesn't charge the used price. Isn't that illegal fraud?[/QUOTE]

[quote name='eastshore4']BS. I've been here for 2+ years and never heard about this.[/QUOTE]

Everybody (should) already know what this is. Been discussed/argued 100000000's of times here on CAG, and everywhere else.

Gamestop gets a new game in, "guts" some copies (takes the disc out and sometimes the manual) and puts them behind the counter. Then, they put the "new" game box on the shelf. It's to prevent somebody from walking off with the game disc.

Is it new? Shouldn't be...but they charge you that way. Does it matter? To some people it does. If it bothers you? Don't go there for that game.

On topic: That's funny. I don't see much in the way of used games at the local BB.

[quote name='eastshore4']BS. I've been here for 2+ years and never heard about this.[/QUOTE]

BS, you've never heard about gutting copies to put on the store shelves and then selling this opened copy "as new" when they are out of shrinkwrapped copies?

I love my boxed copies of games, but if digital distribution is what it takes to destroy Gamestop, I honestly wouldn't mind.

[quote name='JasonTerminator']BS, you've never heard about gutting copies to put on the store shelves and then selling this opened copy "as new" when they are out of shrinkwrapped copies?[/quote]

your sarcasm detector is broken

[quote name='Scorch']your sarcasm detector is broken[/QUOTE]

Problem is, unless you go to Gamestop threads, you haven't seen the above poster post "Did you know Gamestop sells opened games as new?" in various threads.

The actual disk is put into super safe cabinet and never touched ever again until you buy it. So it's not like they've been manhandled or anything like that.

[quote name='Rodimus']The actual disk is put into super safe cabinet and never touched ever again until you buy it. So it's not like they've been manhandled or anything like that.[/QUOTE]

I dunno it gets pretty manhandled by the clueless don't give a shit employees who get it for you in those ten seconds of gamestop handling.

[quote name='Rodimus']The actual disk is put into super safe cabinet and never touched ever again until you buy it. So it's not like they've been manhandled or anything like that.[/QUOTE]

It's a policy of some Gamestops (NOT ALL) to allow employees to borrow the gutted copy for a day or two of some games. It's really on a store by store basis, title by title basis, so I'm not sure how common a practice it is.

If by super safe cabinet you mean overloaded crammed full to past capacity drawer system that the mostly idiotic employees can NEVER find anything in, then yes it's in a super safe place.

I've seen GS employees have to remove other discs before just to get out a game that someone wanted that was wedged between a couple other ones.:roll:

As for manhandling, the giant fingerprints and smudges all over a disc I had just looked at to check for major scratches that was super clean and scratch free begs to differ that they're not manhandled.

What amused the hell out of me more was that the one GS employee proceeded to use his shirt to wipe off his own fingerprints and scratched the disc AND got even MORE fingerprints/smudges back on the disc after just wiping it off.:applause:

This is why I typically stick to the ONE GS by me that's decent, since the rest are staffed by baboons.

[quote name='GuardianE']It's a policy of some Gamestops (NOT ALL) to allow employees to borrow the gutted copy for a day or two of some games. It's really on a store by store basis, title by title basis, so I'm not sure how common a practice it is.[/QUOTE]
This broken sarcasm detector disorder is getting to be an epidemic! :p

Unless it's the loaner copy the GS employee is allowed to take home and play for a week.

See what I did here?

[quote name='blueshinra']This broken sarcasm detector disorder is getting to be an epidemic! :p[/QUOTE]

It's probably my fault. I could never write in sarcasm. Maybe I'm just not clever enough.

I remember a few years back they put Virtua Tennis 3 on sale the day after Thanksgiving for cheaper than the used price because I was (unsuccessfully) trying to get the manager to honor it in a B2G1 sale. So it happens but probably not often and just during sales.

Gamestop never charges more for used than they do for new.

If you ever see a used game priced higher than the new copy, that probably means they recently lowered the prices of both the new and used copies of the game and haven't had time to change the stickers on the used copy. If you ask an employee to scan the game, it should ring up and the lower, correct price.

Not sure if any of that applies to Best Buy though.

In 29 years I have never got a bad disc from gamespot. Never had anything "manhandled" by anyone in a store, maybe cause sometimes I carry a screwdriver in my hoodie.

Maybe they have to balance it out so they get more with this new system they use?

Or they just genuinely messed up a lot of shit.

bread's done
Back