Best Buy Reward Zone Question

MadFlava

CAGiversary!
Feedback
4 (100%)
Hi, I just finally joined the Best Buy Reward Zone program and I was wonder if you can earn reward zone points by making a purchase using a Gift Card? I've read the qualifying purchases section of the terms and conditions and it doesn't state that I cannot get points if I "use" a gift card at Best Buy.

The reason why I am asking is that Best Buy is having the summer promotion where you spend more than $100 you get a $10 reward certificate. I won a $200 best buy gift card at work and I was hoping to use it on a DS Lite but the CAG in me wants to take advantage of this summer promotion.

Just enter the numbers on the receipt to the www.myrewardzone.com website and you should be good to go. Just make sure you buy dvds and games on the receipt.

Also, if you're in the process of making a purchase via Bestbuy B&M store, just give the cashier your rewards card.

I lost my rewards card so I have to tell them my phone number each time.

[quote name='MadFlava']Hi, I just finally joined the Best Buy Reward Zone program and I was wonder if you can earn reward zone points by making a purchase using a Gift Card? I've read the qualifying purchases section of the terms and conditions and it doesn't state that I cannot get points if I "use" a gift card at Best Buy.

The reason why I am asking is that Best Buy is having the summer promotion where you spend more than $100 you get a $10 reward certificate. I won a $200 best buy gift card at work and I was hoping to use it on a DS Lite but the CAG in me wants to take advantage of this summer promotion.[/quote]

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong here, but I'm pretty sure you don't earn any points when you buy or use a gift card. If you buy a $20 item and use a $10 gift card (or $10 in reward zone certificates) you're only going to get 10 points on that transaction.

[quote name='scott2hotcott']Somebody correct me if I'm wrong here, but I'm pretty sure you don't earn any points when you buy or use a gift card. If you buy a $20 item and use a $10 gift card (or $10 in reward zone certificates) you're only going to get 10 points on that transaction.[/quote]I know you don't get points on buying gift cards, though I'm not sure on using them towards a purchase. I don't think there's a restriction on their use for purchases in getting RZ points, though I'd have to check back and see on previous purchases I've made.

Only way to know for sure is to make the transaction and check your account information a few days later.

[quote name='scott2hotcott']Somebody correct me if I'm wrong here, but I'm pretty sure you don't earn any points when you buy or use a gift card. If you buy a $20 item and use a $10 gift card (or $10 in reward zone certificates) you're only going to get 10 points on that transaction.[/quote]

You don't get points for buying gift cards, but you get points when you use them. So in your example you would actually get 20 points. However, I believe you do not get points for using reward zone certificates.

Anything in the final subtotal (sans your usual stuff like gift cards) counts towards the RZ points. RZ certificates deduct from what counts as points because they affect the price of each item directly. Using gift cards have nothing to do with the subtotal, so they are fine to use.

Thanks for clearing this up. I'll go ahead and buy a DS with my gift card and try to get the $10 reward certificate.

[quote name='kell']You don't get points for buying gift cards, but you get points when you use them. So in your example you would actually get 20 points. However, I believe you do not get points for using reward zone certificates.[/quote]

I knew that reward zone certificates didn't get points, but I've never used a gift card so I wasn't quite sure. Live and learn.

bread's done
Back