best buy takes in used games?!

erifsievol

CAG Veteran
hey, i posted this as a reply on another board, but i haven't seen anyone mention it before.

there are a few best buy stores that will buy back games. they don't check for scratches, they only check to see if the game is in the case. not sure if they require manuals or not. every game you trade in is worth a minimum of $7.50 (for ps2, xbox, & gc). a lot of games go for much more. the most i've seen someone get for a game was $30 for t.h.u.g. 2 and $31.50 for that zelda four swords game for gc (this was yesterday). if you want cash you're out of luck though as they only give store credit on gift cards. it's still a pretty sweet deal though considering you can go to gamestop, buy 2 super cheap games, get 1 free, and get over $20 back. they take pretty much any game too...nes, snes, genesis, dc, ps2, gc, xbox, gb, etc.

i was nervous about selling there because a lot of the used games they have on their racks are improperly labeled. a lot of newer games still retailing at $30 or $40 are priced as used dc games and sell for about $10-$15 so i was afraid that i would trade games in and they would give me used dc prices...but you have to sign 3 papers with the list of traded-in games on it, so you can be sure that they didn't buy anything back incorrectly.

so i was just wondering how widespead this trade-in policy was at best buy and other people's positive or negative experiences trading in there.

Does the store credit go towards any merchandise in the store, or only games?

Are there signs advertising buybacks in stores or do you have to go up and ask?

That is very strange. I worked at Best Buy for a year (up until two weeks ago) and I've never heard anything like that. In fact, it almost seems anti-Best Buy.

I think this is only at select stores. I know people have posted stories of Best Buy's that sell used games too. I think they have a couple stores throughout the country where they test out new sales like used games/buybacks to see if it is feasible to make a company-wide policy. Judging by the prices you say they are paying, it sounds like it would be sweet to sell too but probably won't be profitable enough for them to bring it to many stores.

yeah, i only know 1 of 3 stores that actually buy back games. all you have to do is go to the customer service desk to find out if they do or not. the store by me (joliet, il) has a sign posted at the service desk next to all the geek squad stuff.

and the store credit can be used on anything in the store.

yeah, i only know 1 of 3 stores that actually buy back games. all you have to do is go to the customer service desk to find out if they do or not. the store by me (joliet, il) has a sign posted at the service desk next to all the geek squad stuff.

[quote name='lionheart4life']I think this is only at select stores. I know people have posted stories of Best Buy's that sell used games too. I think they have a couple stores throughout the country where they test out new sales like used games/buybacks to see if it is feasible to make a company-wide policy. Judging by the prices you say they are paying, it sounds like it would be sweet to sell too but probably won't be profitable enough for them to bring it to many stores.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I'd also be willing to bet that these stores are test stores where they are testing new practices, such as trade in games.

bread's done
Back