Best Buy Trade and Save - Trade DVDs for $5 towards Blus 5/8/11-6/4/11

Invicta 61

CAGiversary!
Feedback
7 (100%)
Trade in your DVDs for $5 towards select Blurays.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Movies+Promotions/null/pcmcat240800050005.c?id=pcmcat240800050005

I noticed a sign out front of my local Best Buy
advertising this offer. I didn't see a thread for this so I decided to bring it to everyone's attention.
------------------------------------------
Thanks to FlamedLiquid we have a price list.

Prices before $5 coupon:

$9.99

Righteous Kill
RoboCop
RunDown
12 Monkeys
Hoosiers
Inside Man
Tears of the Sun
Terminator
Kingdom
Traitor
Men In Black
X-Files: Fight the Future
Dawn of the Dead (2004)
XXX: State of the Union
Napoleon Dynamite
You Don't Mess With the Zohan
Office Space
Donnie Darko
Pandorum
Predator
Quick and the Dead
Road House

Gamer
Goodfellas
Heat
Rudy
Hitman
Sherlock Holmes
I Now Pronounce You Chuck and Larry
I Robot
Alien Vs. Predator
Independence Day
Inglorious Basterds 2 Disc
Street Kings
Army of Darkness
Taxi Driver
AVP 2
Journey to the Center of the Earth 3D
Terminator: Salvation
Barbwire
Three Kings
Batman: The Dark Knight
Town 1 Disc
Batman Begins
Training Day
Blood Diamond
Land of the Lost
Book of Eli
Troy Dir Cut
True Romance UR
Twister
Clash of the Titans
Contact
Matrix Reloaded
Couples Retreat 2 disc
Crank 2
Whip It
The Wrestler
The Departed
Live Free/Die Hard
Ninja Assassin
Donnie Brasco
Edge of Darkness
Full Metal Jacket
Funny People

Raging Bull
007: Die Another Day
Green Zone
007: For Your Eyes Only
Gullivers Travels
007: License to Kill
Ronin
007: Live & Let Die
Hereafter 1 Disc
007: Moonraker
Saw: Final Chapter
127 Hours + Dig Copy
Hot Tub Time Machine
8 Mile
Shrek the Third
Alice In Wonderland 60th Anniversary
Silence of the Lambs
I Spit on Your Grave (2011)
Skyline
American Beauty
Social Network
An American Werewolf in London
Taken
A-Team W/Dig Copy
Its Kind of a Funny Story
Backdraft
Justified: 1st Season
Bambi
Kick-Ass Combo Pack
Killers
Kingdom of Heaven Dir Cut
Toy Story 3 (2 Disc)
Black Swan + Dig Copy
Knight & Day BD + DVD + DC
Law Abiding Citizen
Boondock Saints
Legends of the Guardians: Owls 1 Disc
Brooklyn's Finest
Let Me In
Burlesque (BD + DVD)
Life as We Know It 1 Disc
U-571
Cars (BD + DVD)
Love & Other Drugs + Dig Copy
Unstoppable + Dig Copy
Cars Toon: Mater's Tall Combo Pack
Madagascar BD/DVD Combo
Valkyrie
Madagascar: Escape 2 Africa BD/DVD Combo
Waiting for Superman
Walk the Line
Wall Street: Money Never Sleeps w/DC
Middle Men
Crazies
Monsters Vs. Aliens BD/DVD Combo
Crazy Heart
Moulin Rogue
Date Night
Mr. & Mrs. Smith
My Soul to Take
Daybreakers
Next Three Days
Due Date 1 Disc
Patton
Faster
Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas
Predators
From Paris with Love
Frozen

Wolfman (2010)
Out of Sight

The $14.99 titles highlighted in blue are cheaper in the DVD2BLU promotion for Warner Brothers (if you get the free shipping).
Thread link: http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=260736

Last edited by a moderator:
So is it my understanding that the "coupon" they gave you for $5 off is actually just a receipt? If so, do you know if you can just bring it back any time before the promotion ends? I have a feeling some of these Blus are going to drop again and wield even better deals. However, I am looking to get the Predator Blu (with X-Men: FC movie ticket) and Justified Season 1. Those are too good to pass up really.

[quote name='imacgod']Those prices right on the first page? Like Cars is definitely $29.99 and Toy Story 3 is $34.99 on their website right now. I'd like to pick up some Disney flicks on the cheap if possible.[/QUOTE]

That Toy Story 3 listed for $34.99 is the combo pack which isnt part of the deal, and the Cars is supposed to be the Blu + DVD combo for $19.99 not the older blu single disc.

However Road House is only 9.99 if you want to update the list. When I looked that up online I believe it said 16.99 but it was marked 9.99 in store.

[quote name='metallicoholic']So is it my understand that the "coupon" they gave you for $5 off is actually just a receipt? If so, do you know if you can just bring it back any time before the promotion ends? I have a feeling some of these Blus are going to drop again and wield even better deals. However, I am looking to get the Predator Blu (with X-Men: FC movie ticket) and Justified Season 1. Those are too good to pass up really.[/QUOTE]

Not sure as I never really got to look at it. Cashier never handed me it since I told her I'd be buying blus in the same transaction. She just printed something off and kept it behind the counter. But I believe it printed off like a receipt. Perhaps a receipt coupon? If someone else know for sure please chime in.

[quote name='FlamedLiquid']That Toy Story 3 listed for $34.99 is the combo pack which isnt part of the deal, and the Cars is supposed to be the Blu + DVD combo for $19.99 not the older blu single disc.

However Road House is only 9.99 if you want to update the list. When I looked that up online I believe it said 16.99 but it was marked 9.99 in store.[/QUOTE]

Gotchya. Forgot about Disney and their overzealous-let's-make-50-versions-of-our-movie-to-mess-with-consumers plan.

[quote name='FlamedLiquid']Took me maybe 5 minutes in and out of the store. Walked in. Guy at door asked if I was returning stuff. I told him I was trading in dvds, which they have a huge sign for in the entrance. He then placed little stickers on each of my dvds. I went back to the blurays, and got the movies I wanted to buy. went up to customer service and the cashier checked each of my dvds and printed off 1 coupon since I asked if I could buy the blurays up there. She then scanned in the blurays I was purchasing and then scanned the coupon 5 times.

ended up getting:

12 Monkeys
Napoleon Dynamite
Predator
The Terminator
Office Space

[/QUOTE]

Had nearly the same experience except I only traded in 4 dvds and didn't pick up Predator.

I went today with five movies went to customer service and the clerk starred at me saying we only accept games as trades. I told him about the offer and he had like no idea what I was talking about. He was confused looked at the stantee in the store and had no idea what to do. He called the manager and she was just as useless. She said I had to trade them in online. I told her no and we argued for 15 minuted before I cussed her out and left.

What a scam. So now do you have to do this online? Forget that. Should have known everytime I go in Worst Buy I have an issue with the people that work there.

I got my coupons yesterday. It took 30 minutes because I was the first one to show up for the deal at this store. I'll have to swing by next week to use them since I didn't have any time left after that, but I traded in 10 DVDs there were all full screen versions that I bought 5 years ago. The geek squad employee that took my DVDs speculated that they're just going to recycle them.

well I picked up Justified primarily due to you guys talking about it. It'll be something to watch when after all the season finales hit..

IDK, I'm done though for now, only traded in two DVDs and used both the coupons. Does anyone think they'll do this again in a week or two with a different selection?

[quote name='TerpsJunkie']I got my coupons yesterday. It took 30 minutes because I was the first one to show up for the deal at this store. I'll have to swing by next week to use them since I didn't have any time left after that, but I traded in 10 DVDs there were all full screen versions that I bought 5 years ago. The geek squad employee that took my DVDs speculated that they're just going to recycle them.[/QUOTE]

Speculation is that they're going to be destroyed because the studios certainly don't want used DVDs being resold since they get no profit off of used. So Best Buy pads their Blu-ray sales and DVDs never see the light of day again -- win win for the movie studios.

Got to the store and brought 15 DVD's to trade in. They told me that there was a limit of only five. We ended up doing two transactions. I found 10 Blu-Rays that I wanted and paid $52.60. The weird thing is that the cashier at the customer service told me we had to do all 10 Blu-Rays on seperate transactions....that was pretty fucking stupid I told her, but hey $5 Blu-Rays why not? I got:

Men in Black, Inside Job, 12 Monkeys, Office Space, Donnie Darko, Predator, Terminator, X-Files Fight the Future, Robocop, and Rundown. $5.26 for ten transactions cost me $52.60, and boy I traded in some shit like Matrix Revisted, some King Kong animated DVD that I paid fifty cents for and other garbage. I will take my other five to a different Best Buy next week depending if they have anymore sales. Not a bad deal, just reatrded that they insisted they do it on different transactions....

[quote name='Davestation']Got to the store and brought 15 DVD's to trade in. They told me that there was a limit of only five. We ended up doing two transactions. I found 10 Blu-Rays that I wanted and paid $52.60. The weird thing is that the cashier at the customer service told me we had to do all 10 Blu-Rays on seperate transactions....that was pretty fucking stupid I told her, but hey $5 Blu-Rays why not? I got:

Men in Black, Inside Job, 12 Monkeys, Office Space, Donnie Darko, Predator, Terminator, X-Files Fight the Future, Robocop, and Rundown. $5.26 for ten transactions cost me $52.60, and boy I traded in some shit like Matrix Revisted, some King Kong animated DVD that I paid fifty cents for and other garbage. I will take my other five to a different Best Buy next week depending if they have anymore sales. Not a bad deal, just reatrded that they insisted they do it on different transactions....[/QUOTE]

The fine print clearly says limit of 5 per transaction. Be glad she was willing to do two transactions for you. That was nice of her if you ask me. So next time please don't get angry at a cashier that's just following the rules and doing her job.

[quote name='chuckywang']The fine print clearly says limit of 5 per transaction. Be glad she was willing to do two transactions for you. That was nice of her if you ask me. So next time please don't get angry at a cashier that's just following the rules and doing her job.[/QUOTE]

i think he was angry because she did 10 transactions instead of 2.

[quote name='aspen1284']Anyone know if maybe the list will change before the coupons expire?[/QUOTE]

if the list changes I wouldnt expect it to change until June 4th. And hoping it does.

[quote name='FlamedLiquid']i think he was angry because she did 10 transactions instead of 2.[/QUOTE]

Yup, she laughed when I made the fucking stupid comment because she had a supervisor yapping about it behind her. I like how people are telling me to be nice to cashiers....did I mention the cashier had a huge swastika tattooed on her forehead and afterwards she invited me to the local KKK Meeting? Thats how Best Buy employees role in Wisconsin!!

[quote name='Raven6009']No because it's selling at Walmart for $12.[/QUOTE]

Where do u see it for 12? Walmart is selling it for $18. Also, can I recycle import dvd or it must be american dvd with upc code?

Well I was way too careful about this in the store. I was dumb and asked if I could price match with the BB website, since all the marked prices were way higher. This just caused a shit storm of confusion between managers, cashiers, and CS people all saying different things about "sale" prices and whether they would work with the DVD coupons. When the items were actually scanned, sure enough, they all came up with the web prices, so I felt like an idiot for opening my mouth about price matches in the first place.

Oh well, with that frustration behind I was proud to pick up the following:
- 12 Monkeys $5 AC
- Inglourious Basterds $10 AC
- Road House $5 AC
- The Rundown $5 AC
- Taxi Driver $10 AC

Not a bad haul at all, thanks OP!

[quote name='Davestation']Yup, she laughed when I made the fucking stupid comment because she had a supervisor yapping about it behind her. I like how people are telling me to be nice to cashiers....did I mention the cashier had a huge swastika tattooed on her forehead and afterwards she invited me to the local KKK Meeting? Thats how Best Buy employees role in Wisconsin!![/QUOTE]

Same in Texas the guy at customer service has tatoos everywhere even on his neck, nose rings, and a mowhawk. I see customer service appearance is not important to best Buy.

I found a store that took the DVD's and I dumped

Pride (fullsreen movie)
Hush
Love and Distrust
Burn After Reading

Got

Office Space
Full Metal jacket
Justified Season 1

Could you trade in 5 DVD's, get 5 coupons (for $25 total) and use it to get a $24.99 Blu-ray basically for free?

Or can you only use one $5 DVD coupon per Blu-ray?

Reading comments, everytime people traded in 5 DVD's they bought 5 Blu-rays.

[quote name='Ratchet & CAG']Could you trade in 5 DVD's, get 5 coupons (for $25 total) and use it to get a $24.99 Blu-ray basically for free?

Or can you only use one $5 DVD coupon per Blu-ray?

Reading comments, everytime people traded in 5 DVD's they bought 5 Blu-rays.

[/QUOTE]

It's limit 1 coupon per blu, so everyone who "traded" in 5 DVDs bought 5 blu rays. If BB allowed them to stack, i'm sure everyone would trade in their whole DVD collection so they can get free blu rays.

Not a bad promo that BB is running, especially if you have some catalog favorites that you want to upgrade from DVD to Blu.

Made a move on 12 Monkeys, Office Space, The Town (1-disc), & The Social Network.

Quick update, The Town was $20 before coupon, not $15 as listed in the original post. I had them double-check this online at the CS desk. I still pulled the trigger @ $15 AC, but I definitely thought about putting it back on the shelf. Also, The Social Network is on sale this week for $20, so with the coupon it's $15, and it's the upgraded version that's $15.

I'll probably return to upgrade my catalog titles of Donnie Brasco, Heat, & Goodfellas. For $10 each AC, it's worth it to me to upgrade these. That should do it for this little promo.

Man, I wish these coupons stacked (they definitely don't as mentioned many times). If they did, I would have dumped maybe 50 DVDs on BB for roughly 20-25 Blus, with very little out-of-pocket. Instead, I only dumped 7 DVDs for 7 new Blus, and had to yack-up around $50 plus a $20 GC.

[quote name='defmonkey05']There's some deals to be had on this. I should jump in.

Inglorious Basterds for $10 is a sweet deal.[/QUOTE]

IB for $10 is a no-brainer. Sux, I already have it on Blu.

Picked up Cars BD+DVD w/the June 24/Cars 2 Movie Cash for $15. Customer Service didn't think it was part of the promo at first.

Then decided to go back in--had a couple extra worthless DVD trades in the car just in case--after noticing one remaining Quick and the Dead on the shelf (none remaining in the Trade-In specific kiosk either) and grabbed an Office Space. Got the $.99 AC and $2.99 AC price matches, respectively, despite some initial (and unusual) reluctance on their part.

Dawn Treader is in next week's ad but not on the current list. Anyone able to make it work this week since it's actually a couple bucks cheaper this week than it'll be next week?

Damn it, I herped a derp. I went in to trade in 2 DVDs and get 12 Monkeys and Mr. & Mrs. Smith (and also pre-order LA Noire). The clerk was clearly new, as she had issues ringing everything, and when it came to the $3 off Manufacturer's coupon for Mr. & Mrs. Smith, she tried to ring it up, and thought that it was applied. I was uncertain if it was applied, but I failed to figure out in advance what my total should have been. Sure enough the coupon wasn't applied.

Traded in 4 dvds and picked up:

-Robocop
-X-files: Fight the Future
-Tears of the Sun
-Pandorum

Had a $20 reward zone certificate so the total was only $1.84. Good deal.

I got denied when I took a freebie Maxim magazine swimsuit dvd. Then I walked across the street to my local Hastings and purchased a couple of .99 cent dvds. When I took them in he asked if I had a blu-ray in mind to purchase it all in one. I told him yes and grabbed "Justified". He proceeded to take $10 off Justified and my total price was $10 plus tax. I was a bit shocked but experience tells me to swipe my credit card fast before they get a chance to think twice. Lucky me.

May do this again tomorrow.

M

Another question, I want to get mr. and mrs. smith and notice target is selling it at 16.99. Would it be possible for me to print the price out , pm it at best buy and do dvd trade in for 11.99? Since I doubt they would let me pm, use fox coupon and dvd trade in. or would it work?

[quote name='Xellos2099']Another question, I want to get mr. and mrs. smith and notice target is selling it at 16.99. Would it be possible for me to print the price out , pm it at best buy and do dvd trade in for 11.99? Since I doubt they would let me pm, use fox coupon and dvd trade in. or would it work?[/QUOTE]

You can try, but if the Best Buys in your area are anything like mine it's a one or the other option, I tried to get the Quick and the Dead for $0.99 by price matching the Best Buy website ($5.99) and trading in a DVD (-$5) but it didn't work even for a second.

[quote name='Xellos2099']Actually, can the 5 dollar off and manufactor coupon be used together[/QUOTE]

Other people had success trading in a DVD and using the $3 coupon, I thought, didn't they? I was just saying trying to price match as well might not work, but it's worth a try.

Quick and the Dead for .99 cents
the website has this posted at 5.99
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/The+Qui...Blu-ray+Disc/9458534.p?id=43521&skuId=9458534

1478342h.jpg

1478342bh.jpg

bread's done
Back