Best Buy Trade-in 4.0 - see new thread (5.0)!

BudzMcGee

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
At nearly 300 pages it was time for a new thread. You can view the previous thread here!

THIS THREAD OP IS NO LONGER ACTIVELY UPDATED WITH NEW PROMOS.

All Promotions are available in-store only, and they DO NOT stack!

Only the 10% Bonus from Gamers Club Unlocked will stack with these offers, and it definitely does stack despite what some employees will say.

Please read FAQ below before asking questions!

General video game promotions link: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=pcat17093&type=page (Promotions are listed at the bottom of the page)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BEST BUY'S VIDEO GAMES TRADE-IN PAGE & VALUE ESTIMATOR

Check which BB stores do trade-ins here.
In-store trades may be done in the Gaming Dept or at customer service depending on the store.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

F.A.Q. Best Buy has a short FAQ here.

How does the **% bonus TIV work?
The percentage is based on the final total of your entire trade in, so if the trade in is $100 and there is a 50% bonus your final gift card value will be $150.

How does the 10% Gamers Club Unlocked bonus work?
The 10% bonus for Gamers Club Unlocked members is calculated from the base trade in value. So in the above example, a $100 trade would get an extra $10 with the GCU membership bonus. So if there was a 50% trade in bonus it would be $100 base, $10 Gamers Club Unlocked bonus and $50 TIV bonus for a grand total of $160.

How do I become a Gamers Club Unlocked member and get the 10% bonus?
Any video game section employee should be able to set you up with the GCU membership. It cost $15 and comes with a year subscription of @Gamer magazine (which typically has a couple of great coupons every month). It will also get you a 10% bonus on trade ins and 10% off of used games (Make sure to point it out to the blue shirt doing your trade-in though as it is easy for them to skip, and they are still new to it). It can take 48 hours (or more) for GCU to show up on your Reward Zone membership.

I didn't get my 10% bonus or the employee said it doesn't stack, what gives?
As of September 2012 the trade in system at Best Buy was updated, and employees seem to be having a hard time making sure that they add the GCU bonus. It should be added immediately after they scan your games, and before they take your personal information. You also should always try to know your full trade in value with bonuses before going to the store so that if the price is different you can identify it immediately. The 10% bonus definitely does stack with any TIV promo (100%, 50%, it doesn't matter). All the Gamers Club Unlocked pamphlets say so, as does the website, and are a great place to point to if an employee or a manager tells you otherwise.

Do we get Reward Zone points for trade-ins??
Yes. You get one point for every pre-bonus dollar traded in. So if your TIV was $100 before bonuses, you get 100 Reward Zone points. Gamers Club Unlocked members (and possibly standard Gamers Club members) get double points for everything gaming, including trade-ins. So in the same example you would wind up with 200 Reward Zone points. To get Reward Zone points you must have them include your Reward Zone membership information (easiest to look up by phone number) with your trade-in (this is required for the Gamers Club Unlocked bonus anyway).

Can I use my Best Buy gift card to purchase Amazon Kindle Gift Cards or Visa Gift Cards?
Yes, although some employees may not be aware of this and incorrectly refuse to do so. Visa Gift Cards have a $200 limit and a $6 activation fee. Amazon Gift Cards are available in $25, $50 and $100 depending on your store selection. Some states, or even localities (county, city, etc.) may not allow the sale of Amazon Gift Cards. Yes, Kindle Gift Cards are good for anything on Amazon.

The value on the site doesn't match the store, why?
Sometimes the page may not update immediately. This is fairly rare though. The store's trade-in values are definitive though, so what they say is what you get. 99.99% of the time they will match up.

The value on the iPhone/Android app is way off, why?
The app often sucks for updating values (and some games simply don't show up), don't rely on it if you don't have to.

The game I want to trade isn't on the site, what gives?
While rare, there have been some games recently not showing up in the online estimator. You can always check in-store to see if the price is in their system and simply not online, but that is unlikely to be the case (as in, it is possible that has never been the case). When Best Buy doesn't have a game on file they can offer $1 as a generic SKU, but that's it. New releases appear to be added on Tuesday evenings. Many new releases are taking upwards of a week or more to be added to the site.

How come the GOTY/complete version doesn't show up in the estimator?
Best Buy doesn't differentiate between the vanilla and GOTY/complete versions of a game 99% of the time. This is largely a cover-all policy due to the fact that many GOTY editions include the game's DLC and bonus content as one-time use codes; meaning that the game has no extra value on the 2nd hand market and honestly, Best Buy probably doesn't trust their employees to make sure all the extra content is included. So no extra TIV for your GOTY games. The plus side is that GOTY and vanilla versions sell at the same price, so if the DLC is located on disc and you find a GOTY version in-store it will be the same price as the vanilla one.

When do trade-in values update?
No one knows for sure, but updates can and do happen at any time. Sometimes an update will happen at an atypical time, such as when GameStop has an advertised sale for a game well below Best Buy's trade in price.

What will be the TIV of Game X tomorrow/next week / next month/ etc
Nobody knows.

If I locked in a trade online, and the value drops, will I still get the locked in value when I mail it in?
Yes. You will get the locked in TIV as long as the item is received within 14 days of you locking it in (and the item is in the condition you described it as).

Can you lock in the price online then trade it in-store?
No.

Is there a limit to how many games I can trade in?
Officially, Best Buy only accepts 3 copies of a game, per system (i.e. you could trade in 3 copies of a game for Xbox, 3 copies for PS3 and 3 for Wii). This is for sure the online policy, but it varies in stores. Some people have reported being banned for trading in more than 3 copies of games, others have done so frequently without issue. Obviously it is YMMV, but do so at your own risk.

Lately some people have been told the policy is 1 game per system (i.e. you could trade in 1 copy of a game for Xbox, 1 for PS3 and 1 for Wii), and have been actively turned down when trading in more than one copy. Whether this is actually something they are banning for or if it is just what employees are being told to follow to limit multiples is unknown. Trade multiples at your own risk.

Can I trade game disc only, or do I need the case and manuals, too?
Best Buy accepts disc only games (for the same value as complete games). The trade in will take longer though as the employee will have to look up the games individually. Yes, this also applies to DS, 3DS, PSP, etc. If you have the manual and artwork you should trade it in though anyway to improve the quality of the selection for people who may want to buy the game in the future (you can't know if the game will be complete when you buy online for example).

Can I trade in games that say "Not for Resale" on the back?
Yes, since the only thing that matters is the disc. Some employees will fight this though, and in that case, just trade the game in as disc-only. Employees have gotten much better about knowing this policy though, and busier stores are more likely to have employees that have done more trade ins and know the rules.

Does Best Buy accept game hardware?
Currently Best Buy only accepts various versions of the Nintendo DS in store, but some stores apparently accept consoles as well. Call ahead before bringing it in. That said, the TIV for most hardware is lower than competitors.

Does the **% bonuses apply to game hardware?
No, games only.

When I do a in-store trade, I am asked: to be fingerprinted, to have my photo taken, how much I weigh, etc. What's the deal?
Pawn shop laws regulating trade-ins and resale of used goods varies from state to state or even city to city. It is not Best Buy's rule, and varies from store to store depending on where you live. At a minimum you'll need a government issued ID (passport, drivers license, military ID, etc.).

I went to a store to do a trade-in and they asked for a Best Buy receipt. WTF?
Some stores are required to have receipts to accept trade-ins, again this is due to local Pawn shop laws and could vary from city to city. You can always check if the store(s) near you require a receipt on Best Buy's trade-in site.

Can I trade sealed games?
Yes. You must present your receipt for the sealed games you are trading in. It is ok if the purchase was made from another store. You do run the risk of drawing extra attention to yourself as trading in sealed products is often a sign of theft. Do not be surprised if this is questioned by an employee, or you are asked to leave, open the items and return. You might even be flat out denied by the employee or manager despite the official rule. It is their right to do so.

How does the get **% with pre-order bonus work?
After trading in your games, the employee SHOULD then sell you the pre-order for $5.

How much is a pre-order at Best Buy?
Pre-ordering at Best Buy cost $5, in fact, you aren't supposed to pay any more than that (and most employees won't let you if you ask). Yes, you can use the gift card you just received from your trade-in to purchase the pre-order.

Can I cancel a pre-order and keep the bonus?
Yes, the trade-in and the pre-order are completely separate transactions. Nothing will prevent you from returning to the Best Buy canceling the pre-order and receiving a refund. Some users have claimed that they were flagged for doing this multiple times though and were denied, so be aware of how many pre-orders you are cancelling. Also keep in mind the obvious facts that this is not how the program is intended to work and over abuse will negatively affect the program long-term. Lastly, returns are tracked on a personal level by a third party. (Read: try not to cancel a bunch of pre-orders)

Do I have to cancel the pre-order at the same store where it was made?
No, this can be handled by any BBY. Don't be surprised if you get a customer service employee who says otherwise though.

Can I pre-order once and get the pre-order bonus on my next trade-in as well?
YMMV. Officially, the answer is no, but there is nothing that actually requires the employee to sell the pre-order in order to apply the bonus so if your blue shirt is in a friendly mood they may be willing. Doesn't hurt to get to know the employees at your store. That said, expect that you will have to pre-order another game and be surprised if you don't.

Can I combine a 3 games for **% and a pre-order for **% bonus?
No. Bonuses do not stack, and you must pick one or the other. The only bonus that stacks with other promotions is the 10% you receive if you are a Gamers Club Unlocked member.

Remember, all trades are technically at the discretion of Best Buy and they can refuse to accept a game for whatever reason they want (outside of you being black, woman, Jewish, etc.).

Last edited by a moderator:
Off topic, but is anybody else having issues loading their pitch in card? I've been trying for a couple of days and when I click contribute it just loads a blank page.

[quote name='BudzMcGee']It's possible that the 50% is for next week and the top banner was put up by mistake. Very rare that Best Buy changes promo mid-week.[/QUOTE]

The 100% listed under this weeks offers has "in store only" in tiny print under it.

[quote name='VivaLaSam']The 100% listed under this weeks offers has "in store only" in tiny print under it.[/QUOTE]

It's always in-store, 50 or 100%

[quote name='Gamer4life88']Off topic, but is anybody else having issues loading their pitch in card? I've been trying for a couple of days and when I click contribute it just loads a blank page.[/QUOTE]

Yes, I just noticed this today also.

I had issues loading from Chrome. Got to the page to add payment and when I clicked submit it would just reload the page. Switched to IE and had no issues.

will be doing my first trade-in at BB today, since my nearest store is a half hour away, already going up there to upgrade my phone, and the 100% TIV kicked Gamestop's Ass. (Halo 4, Dead Island, Test Drive Unlimited 2, Killzone Trilogy, and COD2 for $37 + 100% + $3.70, as opposed to GS's TIV of roughly $50 iirc.) Hopefully it all goes smooth, as I've read some of you have problems with trading there.

[quote name='sdime98']will be doing my first trade-in at BB today, since my nearest store is a half hour away, already going up there to upgrade my phone, and the 100% TIV kicked Gamestop's Ass. (Halo 4, Dead Island, Test Drive Unlimited 2, Killzone Trilogy, and COD2 for $37 + 100% + $3.70, as opposed to GS's TIV of roughly $50 iirc.) Hopefully it all goes smooth, as I've read some of you have problems with trading there.[/QUOTE]Just be patient and polite to the employee doing the trade-in, and remember to kindly remind him/her that you're a GCU member and should receive an extra 10% credit.

[quote name='sdime98']will be doing my first trade-in at BB today, since my nearest store is a half hour away, already going up there to upgrade my phone, and the 100% TIV kicked Gamestop's Ass. (Halo 4, Dead Island, Test Drive Unlimited 2, Killzone Trilogy, and COD2 for $37 + 100% + $3.70, as opposed to GS's TIV of roughly $50 iirc.) Hopefully it all goes smooth, as I've read some of you have problems with trading there.[/QUOTE]

Quick tip, you can trade your games in at Geek Squad too just in case you're havin' problems in Gamin'. When I traded for first time last year, the guy in Gamin' said their printer was down, so I should go to GS. Went really smooth.

I traded games two days ago and went straight to GS, not even considerin' Gamin' since there was no line in GS. Definitely hit them up if there's no line.

Also have ID with you. Good luck.

Aside from the 10 minute wait for an associate, everything went fairly smooth. He didnt stack the 10%..said that it was either the 100% or it, but at that point i was just ready to get it over with, he was nice enough, didn't really care to fuss over $3.70..

So forgive me if this has been mentioned already, but has anyone else noticed that they seem to be taking longer to list trade in values of new games on their site? Correct me if I'm wrong, but if the value doesn't show on the site they won't have a value in-store either and will just offer you the default $1.00 or whatever, right?

[quote name='sdime98']Aside from the 10 minute wait for an associate, everything went fairly smooth. He didnt stack the 10%..said that it was either the 100% or it, but at that point i was just ready to get it over with, he was nice enough, didn't really care to fuss over $3.70..[/QUOTE]

The issue isn't the $3.70 you lost out on. How many other customers lost out on it too? If he did that to 10 customers at $3.70 each, that's $37 that employee denied customers they rightly deserve. Remember the 10% is not free, we pay for it.

[quote name='alwayscheaper']Any clue why all vita tivs sucked this week?[/QUOTE]

because they have a large sale of vita games last week

[quote name='alwayscheaper']Leave it to best buy to do a blanket nuke cause I don't recall persona 4 golden, ac 3: liberation or need for speed most wanted being part of that sale.[/QUOTE]

the other reason is the 100% trade in promo, everytime bestbuy does this promo, they nuke the tiv, because of previous of abuses by traders

sux that he lied to u like that. there is an option/button that shows up at the end that asks if you are gamers club unlocked and all they have to do is press it for u to get the additional 10%. shouldn't be an issue at all.

[quote name='sdime98']Aside from the 10 minute wait for an associate, everything went fairly smooth. He didnt stack the 10%..said that it was either the 100% or it, but at that point i was just ready to get it over with, he was nice enough, didn't really care to fuss over $3.70..[/QUOTE]

You were lied to, whether he realized he was lying is a different story. You are also out the RZ points for the trade in as well and of course the progress towards silver that comes with that.

I'm not saying to make a big fuss about it, but you would be doing everyone that trades in to that store a favor by alerting a manager to the employes error. You don't have to name names (if you even could) just be polite and mention that you didn't want to make a big deal about $3.70 and some RZ points this time, but you did want to let him/her know that some of the employees are giving false information to customers/costing them money. No one gets fired or in big trouble for this type of action, just a case of managers mentioning it at pre-shift meetings to the employees.

[quote name='alwayscheaper']Leave it to best buy to do a blanket nuke cause I don't recall persona 4 golden, ac 3: liberation or need for speed most wanted being part of that sale.[/QUOTE]

Vita games by and large have been dropping like bricks because they don't sell exceptionally well outside of when on sale. I can't say it for sure but I don't know if I've ever seen games for a new system hit the $10 (and under) bins as quickly as many Vita games did.

[quote name='Ilovecereal']Jeez, the wii-u games tanked. guess ill hold on to them.[/QUOTE]

As I previously stated, I got 30 total for b ops 2. How much more were they giving than that?

Edit

Also, which wii u games were you planning on trading? Maybe we can work out a trade.

[quote name='Ilovecereal']Jeez, the wii-u games tanked. guess ill hold on to them.[/QUOTE]

Wow, they really did tank hard. The base values tanked a lot (Epic Mickey 2 went from $14 to $5) in addition to the 100% down to 50% bonus. Even Zombiu is only worth $15 after bonuses now.

These nukes have been going on for the 3DS games as well for titles that haven't been on sale or that seem flippable.

Paper Mario Sticker Star- $5
New Super Mario Bros 2- $5
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D- $5
Professor Layton and The Miracle Mask- $5
Mario Kart 7- $5

These are just some the titles which are insanely low with the 50% going on. I wonder if Bestbuy doesn't have any interest in handheld games or are banking on people trading these in in that the profit margin would be higher for them but it's still stupid on their part for these games that seldomly go on sale.

Last edited by a moderator:
Flips from gamestop to bestbuy are so far in between its ridiculous. Have so much credit at gamestop I need to get moved and no way to move it, sucks bad man.

[quote name='boogie4114']These nukes have been going on for the 3DS games as well for titles that haven't been on sale or that seem flippable.

Mario Kart 7- $5

These are just some the titles which is insanely low with the 50% going on. I wonder if Bestbuy doesn't have any interest in handheld games or are banking on people trading these in in that the profit margin would be higher for them but it's still stupid on their part for these games that seldomly go on sale.[/QUOTE]

Wow I traded in Zelda 3ds last month with 100% bonus for $23, they really killed the values.

Zelda 3ds (base $11 in Dec)+100% Bonus+GCU= $23

Zelda 3ds (base $5+bonus+GCU) $8

Almost traded in 3x as much just a month ago.

[quote name='panda911']I really hope this isn't a sign of things to come for the trade-ins at Best Buy :([/QUOTE]
same here, the tivs is becoming bad now. Atleast it is still a step up compare to gamestop,lol

[quote name='boogie4114']These nukes have been going on for the 3DS games as well for titles that haven't been on sale or that seem flippable.

Mario Kart 7- $5

These are just some the titles which are insanely low with the 50% going on. I wonder if Bestbuy doesn't have any interest in handheld games or are banking on people trading these in in that the profit margin would be higher for them but it's still stupid on their part for these games that seldomly go on sale.[/QUOTE]

they nuked the trade in 3 weeks back

[quote name='slidecage']they nuked the trade in 3 weeks back[/QUOTE]

I noticed it back then but I'm surprised nobody has brought up the 3DS nukes so I was just saying that it's not only the Vita games getting tanked. Even Gamestop offers better value for those Nintendo games on their base value which is sad to say.

maybe its because retail foot traffic is horrible during january, february , and march picks up because of tax returns that the games that are traded in now will just sit there for months

[quote name='Scholarly_Sam']Did a trade last week and I didn't get any reward points from that trade... kinda strange since I got the 10% from GC Unlocked.[/QUOTE]
Same here. Two trade-ins on 1/11 never showed up. Purchases on 1/11 and trade-ins after have all showed up. I'll probably be giving them a call soon.

[quote name='BudzMcGee']Vita games by and large have been dropping like bricks because they don't sell exceptionally well outside of when on sale. I can't say it for sure but I don't know if I've ever seen games for a new system hit the $10 (and under) bins as quickly as many Vita games did.[/QUOTE]

What Vita games have been $10? I know MK, Reality Fight, and Little Deviants have been. But aside from those, I haven't really seen any.

newbie questions
On the website it says I need $5 to trade. Game's only worth 4. Does it matter in store?

Am I saddled with a BB gift card? I'd rather have cash as BB won't let me use a $5 gift card to buy something for $4.99

[quote name='moothemagiccow']newbie questions
On the website it says I need $5 to trade. Game's only worth 4. Does it matter in store?

Am I saddled with a BB gift card? I'd rather have cash as BB won't let me use a $5 gift card to buy something for $4.99[/QUOTE]

Doesn't matter in store how much. You will get a BB gift card. You can use that to get Amazon gift cards or a Visa gift card. The Visa one costs a few bucks up front to be loaded.

You definitely CAN use a $5 gift card to buy something that is less than $5.

Wow I should have traded in ZombiU and Assassin's Creed 3 for Wii U when I had the chance. I could have gotten over 30 for ZombiU last week now only 15 :cry:

[quote name='klimb22']Same here. Two trade-ins on 1/11 never showed up. Purchases on 1/11 and trade-ins after have all showed up. I'll probably be giving them a call soon.[/QUOTE]

Hmm... that's the day I made my trade that didn't show up as well...

[quote name='Scholarly_Sam']Hmm... that's the day I made my trade that didn't show up as well...[/QUOTE]
That makes me feel better...I think.

Were you an unlocked member when you did the trade? The same thing happened to me where the employee said the max trade in bump would be 100% therefore he couldn't add the 10% from unlocked. I immediately questioned him though and he said he did a trade the same day and it only let him do 100%. After arguing with him, he realized the reason it didn't let him do the bonus on top of the 100% was the other trade he did, the member was only a gamer club member and not unlocked.

Also, $3.70 is halfway to a clearance game so I think it's worth your time to argue for it since you've been there 10 minutes already, whats a few more ;)

[quote name='Geco17']What Vita games have been $10? I know MK, Reality Fight, and Little Deviants have been. But aside from those, I haven't really seen any.[/QUOTE]

I couldn't tell you the names, there were several in a bin at my local Walmart mixed in with copies of Adventures of TinTin and a bunch of other $10 clearance games. I was just surprised to see Vita games in that bin at all.

[quote name='chicagocubsfan']Anybody know what DMC tiv is going to be? It's not on the page right now and I will probably go through it fast.[/QUOTE]I believe $27-$30 the highest value I've gotten on recently released games have been $43.20($27 base)

I had to walk a rep. from camera's thru the entire trade & it wasn't really hard at all to be honest, the system does slow up but that was it.

During this process I figured out why/what has to happen for the 10% to be added on
When the rep enters your phone number for the RZ it's not going to show up unlocked on the 1st input thus they must enter your phone # a second time & then click on your name which will then update & add your GCU status/RZ status. When they go back to the cart the added 10% will be showing. My advice for those who consistantly aren't getting the 10% is NOT TO GIVE YOUR ID w/o confirming that the 10% has been added on. DO NOT TAKE THEIR WORD FOR IT ask "waht was the 10% amount that was added" or look on the screen itself. The trade can be adjusted after your ID has been put it but it takes some time & good luck finding a rep that knows how. If it's only a few dollars/cents you can always ask them to deduct the amount owed from your purchase or has written on your trade receipt SIGNED BY THE STORE MANAGER ALONG WITH THEIR PHONE #. Which will allow you to come back to the same store & get the adjustment taken off of a future purchase.

[quote name='YBX87']no way dmc is going to get more than $20, especially with bb cracking down on tivs[/QUOTE]Weird hitman had a base of $17 & DMC is $14($22.40 w/GCU) but Blops 2/Mario still nets high value($20 base) and the old most wanted will give the same as he new one.
Black Friday, holiday sales & overall volume of total ggame sales had quite an effect on trades it'll take some time for the system to right itself.

[quote name='Enuf']I had to walk a rep. from camera's thru the entire trade & it wasn't really hard at all to be honest, the system does slow up but that was it.

During this process I figured out why/what has to happen for the 10% to be added on
When the rep enters your phone number for the RZ it's not going to show up unlocked on the 1st input thus they must enter your phone # a second time & then click on your name which will then update & add your GCU status/RZ status. When they go back to the cart the added 10% will be showing. My advice for those who consistantly aren't getting the 10% is NOT TO GIVE YOUR ID w/o confirming that the 10% has been added on. DO NOT TAKE THEIR WORD FOR IT ask "waht was the 10% amount that was added" or look on the screen itself. The trade can be adjusted after your ID has been put it but it takes some time & good luck finding a rep that knows how. If it's only a few dollars/cents you can always ask them to deduct the amount owed from your purchase or has written on your trade receipt SIGNED BY THE STORE MANAGER ALONG WITH THEIR PHONE #. Which will allow you to come back to the same store & get the adjustment taken off of a future purchase.[/QUOTE]
...or just tell them after they add the last game DO NOT click past the cart (big green button) just scroll down and click "customer look up" or what ever it says. They input your phone # and your info will pop up. They click it and it will populate everything. All they need is your ID info after that.

[quote name='klimb22']...or just tell them after they add the last game DO NOT click past the cart (big green button) just scroll down and click "customer look up" or what ever it says. They input your phone # and your info will pop up. They click it and it will populate everything. All they need is your ID info after that.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, their job is actually easier if they add that info because it populates dome of the information for them on the next page.

[quote name='BudzMcGee']I couldn't tell you the names, there were several in a bin at my local Walmart mixed in with copies of Adventures of TinTin and a bunch of other $10 clearance games. I was just surprised to see Vita games in that bin at all.[/QUOTE]

Ah okay. I'll look at my local WM and see if they have any.

[quote name='Geco17']Ah okay. I'll look at my local WM and see if they have any.[/QUOTE]

This was a few months ago, I wouldn't expect much.

To get an idea of how trade-in values have tanked lately: I traded in 5 games about two weeks. They were Black Ops 2 (360), Scribblenauts Wii U, Super Mario Wii U, Nintendoland, and ZombiU. I got $163.50 for them, which was $16 less than what I would have got had I traded in the same 5 games the day prior. Two weeks later, after bonuses and GCU, I'd get $108.80 for the same 5 games. Ouch!

Looked up some 3DS games lately, and they are almost all $5 base across the board, same with Vita.

bread's done
Back