Best Buy Trade-in 4.0 - see new thread (5.0)!

BudzMcGee

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
At nearly 300 pages it was time for a new thread. You can view the previous thread here!

THIS THREAD OP IS NO LONGER ACTIVELY UPDATED WITH NEW PROMOS.

All Promotions are available in-store only, and they DO NOT stack!

Only the 10% Bonus from Gamers Club Unlocked will stack with these offers, and it definitely does stack despite what some employees will say.

Please read FAQ below before asking questions!

General video game promotions link: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=pcat17093&type=page (Promotions are listed at the bottom of the page)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BEST BUY'S VIDEO GAMES TRADE-IN PAGE & VALUE ESTIMATOR

Check which BB stores do trade-ins here.
In-store trades may be done in the Gaming Dept or at customer service depending on the store.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

F.A.Q. Best Buy has a short FAQ here.

How does the **% bonus TIV work?
The percentage is based on the final total of your entire trade in, so if the trade in is $100 and there is a 50% bonus your final gift card value will be $150.

How does the 10% Gamers Club Unlocked bonus work?
The 10% bonus for Gamers Club Unlocked members is calculated from the base trade in value. So in the above example, a $100 trade would get an extra $10 with the GCU membership bonus. So if there was a 50% trade in bonus it would be $100 base, $10 Gamers Club Unlocked bonus and $50 TIV bonus for a grand total of $160.

How do I become a Gamers Club Unlocked member and get the 10% bonus?
Any video game section employee should be able to set you up with the GCU membership. It cost $15 and comes with a year subscription of @Gamer magazine (which typically has a couple of great coupons every month). It will also get you a 10% bonus on trade ins and 10% off of used games (Make sure to point it out to the blue shirt doing your trade-in though as it is easy for them to skip, and they are still new to it). It can take 48 hours (or more) for GCU to show up on your Reward Zone membership.

I didn't get my 10% bonus or the employee said it doesn't stack, what gives?
As of September 2012 the trade in system at Best Buy was updated, and employees seem to be having a hard time making sure that they add the GCU bonus. It should be added immediately after they scan your games, and before they take your personal information. You also should always try to know your full trade in value with bonuses before going to the store so that if the price is different you can identify it immediately. The 10% bonus definitely does stack with any TIV promo (100%, 50%, it doesn't matter). All the Gamers Club Unlocked pamphlets say so, as does the website, and are a great place to point to if an employee or a manager tells you otherwise.

Do we get Reward Zone points for trade-ins??
Yes. You get one point for every pre-bonus dollar traded in. So if your TIV was $100 before bonuses, you get 100 Reward Zone points. Gamers Club Unlocked members (and possibly standard Gamers Club members) get double points for everything gaming, including trade-ins. So in the same example you would wind up with 200 Reward Zone points. To get Reward Zone points you must have them include your Reward Zone membership information (easiest to look up by phone number) with your trade-in (this is required for the Gamers Club Unlocked bonus anyway).

Can I use my Best Buy gift card to purchase Amazon Kindle Gift Cards or Visa Gift Cards?
Yes, although some employees may not be aware of this and incorrectly refuse to do so. Visa Gift Cards have a $200 limit and a $6 activation fee. Amazon Gift Cards are available in $25, $50 and $100 depending on your store selection. Some states, or even localities (county, city, etc.) may not allow the sale of Amazon Gift Cards. Yes, Kindle Gift Cards are good for anything on Amazon.

The value on the site doesn't match the store, why?
Sometimes the page may not update immediately. This is fairly rare though. The store's trade-in values are definitive though, so what they say is what you get. 99.99% of the time they will match up.

The value on the iPhone/Android app is way off, why?
The app often sucks for updating values (and some games simply don't show up), don't rely on it if you don't have to.

The game I want to trade isn't on the site, what gives?
While rare, there have been some games recently not showing up in the online estimator. You can always check in-store to see if the price is in their system and simply not online, but that is unlikely to be the case (as in, it is possible that has never been the case). When Best Buy doesn't have a game on file they can offer $1 as a generic SKU, but that's it. New releases appear to be added on Tuesday evenings. Many new releases are taking upwards of a week or more to be added to the site.

How come the GOTY/complete version doesn't show up in the estimator?
Best Buy doesn't differentiate between the vanilla and GOTY/complete versions of a game 99% of the time. This is largely a cover-all policy due to the fact that many GOTY editions include the game's DLC and bonus content as one-time use codes; meaning that the game has no extra value on the 2nd hand market and honestly, Best Buy probably doesn't trust their employees to make sure all the extra content is included. So no extra TIV for your GOTY games. The plus side is that GOTY and vanilla versions sell at the same price, so if the DLC is located on disc and you find a GOTY version in-store it will be the same price as the vanilla one.

When do trade-in values update?
No one knows for sure, but updates can and do happen at any time. Sometimes an update will happen at an atypical time, such as when GameStop has an advertised sale for a game well below Best Buy's trade in price.

What will be the TIV of Game X tomorrow/next week / next month/ etc
Nobody knows.

If I locked in a trade online, and the value drops, will I still get the locked in value when I mail it in?
Yes. You will get the locked in TIV as long as the item is received within 14 days of you locking it in (and the item is in the condition you described it as).

Can you lock in the price online then trade it in-store?
No.

Is there a limit to how many games I can trade in?
Officially, Best Buy only accepts 3 copies of a game, per system (i.e. you could trade in 3 copies of a game for Xbox, 3 copies for PS3 and 3 for Wii). This is for sure the online policy, but it varies in stores. Some people have reported being banned for trading in more than 3 copies of games, others have done so frequently without issue. Obviously it is YMMV, but do so at your own risk.

Lately some people have been told the policy is 1 game per system (i.e. you could trade in 1 copy of a game for Xbox, 1 for PS3 and 1 for Wii), and have been actively turned down when trading in more than one copy. Whether this is actually something they are banning for or if it is just what employees are being told to follow to limit multiples is unknown. Trade multiples at your own risk.

Can I trade game disc only, or do I need the case and manuals, too?
Best Buy accepts disc only games (for the same value as complete games). The trade in will take longer though as the employee will have to look up the games individually. Yes, this also applies to DS, 3DS, PSP, etc. If you have the manual and artwork you should trade it in though anyway to improve the quality of the selection for people who may want to buy the game in the future (you can't know if the game will be complete when you buy online for example).

Can I trade in games that say "Not for Resale" on the back?
Yes, since the only thing that matters is the disc. Some employees will fight this though, and in that case, just trade the game in as disc-only. Employees have gotten much better about knowing this policy though, and busier stores are more likely to have employees that have done more trade ins and know the rules.

Does Best Buy accept game hardware?
Currently Best Buy only accepts various versions of the Nintendo DS in store, but some stores apparently accept consoles as well. Call ahead before bringing it in. That said, the TIV for most hardware is lower than competitors.

Does the **% bonuses apply to game hardware?
No, games only.

When I do a in-store trade, I am asked: to be fingerprinted, to have my photo taken, how much I weigh, etc. What's the deal?
Pawn shop laws regulating trade-ins and resale of used goods varies from state to state or even city to city. It is not Best Buy's rule, and varies from store to store depending on where you live. At a minimum you'll need a government issued ID (passport, drivers license, military ID, etc.).

I went to a store to do a trade-in and they asked for a Best Buy receipt. WTF?
Some stores are required to have receipts to accept trade-ins, again this is due to local Pawn shop laws and could vary from city to city. You can always check if the store(s) near you require a receipt on Best Buy's trade-in site.

Can I trade sealed games?
Yes. You must present your receipt for the sealed games you are trading in. It is ok if the purchase was made from another store. You do run the risk of drawing extra attention to yourself as trading in sealed products is often a sign of theft. Do not be surprised if this is questioned by an employee, or you are asked to leave, open the items and return. You might even be flat out denied by the employee or manager despite the official rule. It is their right to do so.

How does the get **% with pre-order bonus work?
After trading in your games, the employee SHOULD then sell you the pre-order for $5.

How much is a pre-order at Best Buy?
Pre-ordering at Best Buy cost $5, in fact, you aren't supposed to pay any more than that (and most employees won't let you if you ask). Yes, you can use the gift card you just received from your trade-in to purchase the pre-order.

Can I cancel a pre-order and keep the bonus?
Yes, the trade-in and the pre-order are completely separate transactions. Nothing will prevent you from returning to the Best Buy canceling the pre-order and receiving a refund. Some users have claimed that they were flagged for doing this multiple times though and were denied, so be aware of how many pre-orders you are cancelling. Also keep in mind the obvious facts that this is not how the program is intended to work and over abuse will negatively affect the program long-term. Lastly, returns are tracked on a personal level by a third party. (Read: try not to cancel a bunch of pre-orders)

Do I have to cancel the pre-order at the same store where it was made?
No, this can be handled by any BBY. Don't be surprised if you get a customer service employee who says otherwise though.

Can I pre-order once and get the pre-order bonus on my next trade-in as well?
YMMV. Officially, the answer is no, but there is nothing that actually requires the employee to sell the pre-order in order to apply the bonus so if your blue shirt is in a friendly mood they may be willing. Doesn't hurt to get to know the employees at your store. That said, expect that you will have to pre-order another game and be surprised if you don't.

Can I combine a 3 games for **% and a pre-order for **% bonus?
No. Bonuses do not stack, and you must pick one or the other. The only bonus that stacks with other promotions is the 10% you receive if you are a Gamers Club Unlocked member.

Remember, all trades are technically at the discretion of Best Buy and they can refuse to accept a game for whatever reason they want (outside of you being black, woman, Jewish, etc.).

Last edited by a moderator:
yeah i hate to say it, but it looks pretty rough this time around.
I had to use tons of my credit to get household stuff like washer, drier, fridge, and all my amazon credit keeps going to diapers/wipes/etc. this was a good run while it lasted last 5 years, but amazon/gamestop/bbv/bestbuy gravy train seems to be slowing down...

These crappy values are going to make me take my business elsewhere, I made silver on just gaming purchases/trades this year (no consoles either). It will also cause me to preorder less of those victory can be preordered games too, which sucks as I liked being able to play them within a week and get most of my money back without having to hassle with selling them. I guess I will be selling my stuff on Amazon and Glyde mostly and use VGFive to trade.

Seems like PS3 exclusives get no love, they don't know what to do with wii-u.
But it would be nice to see them add a minimum TIV for a certain time frame say $35-$40 for the 1st 30 days. That's about as good as it can get.

Wow...I can't believe I'll be going back to GameStop as my main trade in place. What sucks even more is that I didn't have to spend any money for new games last year because of all the credit I had, Now it looks like I won't be buying many new games at Best Buy this year cause I'll have shit in credit.

Seems like everyone got spoiled with the insanely high TIV's that BB used to offer. It was never going to last, guess some of you guys are going to have to find other ways to support your kids now. It was a good run. Although, I'm sure BB is going to miss all the flippers and giving everyone free rentals on new release games. :lol:

Congrats Ravens Fans!!!

[quote name='Gamer4life88']Seems like everyone got spoiled with the insanely high TIV's that BB used to offer. It was never going to last, guess some of you guys are going to have to find other ways to support your kids now. It was a good run. Although, I'm sure BB is going to miss all the flippers and giving everyone free rentals on new release games. :lol:

Congrats Ravens Fans!!![/QUOTE]

Wait....you're saying Best Buy might actually try to make some money?? I say blasphemy sir!!!

It'll be interesting to see what base values on "major" releases like Dead Space 3 and other games from the $20 preorder bonus are.

But yeah, we were all insanely spoiled last year by essentially being paid to play the major fall releases. $20 preorder bonus, pricematching, and $40 trade in values. Reality check 2013 is here.

[quote name='Dund3r']It'll be interesting to see what base values on "major" releases like Dead Space 3 and other games from the $20 preorder bonus are.

But yeah, we were all insanely spoiled last year by essentially being paid to play the major fall releases. $20 preorder bonus, pricematching, and $40 trade in values. Reality check 2013 is here.[/QUOTE]

I'm still pre-ordering because there's day one drops to $50, and combined with $20 cert, I don't think the game will cost that much to play day one.

A $30 TIV (just higher than BO2) will result in me only paying tax to play it release week. :D

(I personally believe some of these releases this year will drop to $40 or $45 in the first 30 days, essentially making it free.)

[quote name='DemonsMaster']Wait....you're saying Best Buy might actually try to make some money?? I say blasphemy sir!!![/QUOTE]

Best Buy could've made some money on that hot new title I traded in within 2 weeks if it could find its way on their shelf without first going on a trip around the country.

or selling used games for more than the new games often times...
I used to buy used games all the time from gamestop, but last 5 years or so it's been just as cheap to get new games at bestbuy/amazon/etc. plus with online passes / day 1 dlc/etc
iv never bought used games at bestbuy unless it was some awesome coupon deal or something.

Best Buy found out how hard it is to get into the used market with Gamestop. It really isnt that easy (which they found out the hard way it seems) to take in all these games, get them out on their floor and sell them for the correct prices. Best Buy has a ton of other things on their plate whereas Gamestop just has this one niche. That obviously allows Gamestop to stay on top of things more. And even then CAGS, SDers and others still find ways to get top trade in dollar out of Gamestop.

[quote name='Zolor23']I'm still pre-ordering because there's day one drops to $50, and combined with $20 cert, I don't think the game will cost that much to play day one.

A $30 TIV (just higher than BO2) will result in me only paying tax to play it release week. :D

(I personally believe some of these releases this year will drop to $40 or $45 in the first 30 days, essentially making it free.)[/QUOTE]

Yeah, don't get me wrong because I will still buy every game from this promo. Keep the few that I want, sell the rest! It worked great when I did it last fall.

[quote name='panda911']Best Buy could've made some money on that hot new title I traded in within 2 weeks if it could find its way on their shelf without first going on a trip around the country.[/QUOTE]

Isn't there a wait period of a month or something before they like put it on the shelf?

I've traded games in for $40-$42, there's just no way that was going to last. just how is Best Buy going to make money paying that much for used games? and I have bought games on Amazon and Gamefly knowing I can get most of my money back (if not for a profit!) on Best Buy trade-ins. well the gravy train is over but I'm not surprised.

[quote name='PhilsUtley26']Isn't there a wait period of a month or something before they like put it on the shelf?[/QUOTE]

I don't know but that's the first I've ever heard of something like that. I wouldn't know why this would be a thing, but if this is an actual stipulation, BBY should've never jumped into the used business. We all see how prices drop within 30 days. I would not want to sit on rapidly depreciating stock for 30 days.

We'll see what Dead Space 3 trades in for. If it trades in for upper 30s, I could deal with that.

[quote name='panda911']I don't know but that's the first I've ever heard of something like that. I wouldn't know why this would be a thing, but if this is an actual stipulation, BBY should've never jumped into the used business. We all see how prices drop within 30 days. I would not want to sit on rapidly depreciating stock for 30 days.

We'll see what Dead Space 3 trades in for. If it trades in for upper 30s, I could deal with that.[/QUOTE]

Yup, all used games at Best Buy get sent out to be refurbished (maybe not the right word, but whatever) then sent back to seemingly random stores. Definitely needlessly complicates things (not to mention adds cost).

As for Dead Space 3 having an upper 30 trade in... don't count on it. Ni No Kuni never went over $18 after bonuses since release and DMC never went over $28. And neither of those came with a $20 preorder bonus (not sure if they actually take this into account though).

[quote name='mpaullin']Yup, all used games at Best Buy get sent out to be refurbished (maybe not the right word, but whatever) then sent back to seemingly random stores. Definitely needlessly complicates things (not to mention adds cost).

As for Dead Space 3 having an upper 30 trade in... don't count on it. Ni No Kuni never went over $18 after bonuses since release and DMC never went over $28. And neither of those came with a $20 preorder bonus (not sure if they actually take this into account though).[/QUOTE]

I know about the shipping out part. I was just addressing Phils who was under the impression of a flat 30 day wait period, which sounds like local pawn laws maybe.

And for the games from last year's promo, all of them had opening TIVs of at 32. I wouldn't consider Ni No Kuni or DMC to be on that level of the promo games, at least in BBY's eyes.

Had a descent litter flip today. Found Get Fit With Mel B and Lego Harry Potter Years 1-4 for $4 total at Half Price Books today. Traded them in to BBY for $16.80 total. Nothing record breaking, but been a while since I've had any genuine flip.

[quote name='panda911']I don't know but that's the first I've ever heard of something like that. I wouldn't know why this would be a thing, but if this is an actual stipulation, BBY should've never jumped into the used business. We all see how prices drop within 30 days. I would not want to sit on rapidly depreciating stock for 30 days.

We'll see what Dead Space 3 trades in for. If it trades in for upper 30s, I could deal with that.[/QUOTE]

Gamestop has pawn laws right or maybe it depends on the state. Their used game section sucks too as I can never find the game I want anyway.

Still $20 cert, PM, and at least hopefully $30 trade it in you break even.

[quote name='perfectsil']I've traded games in for $40-$42, there's just no way that was going to last. just how is Best Buy going to make money paying that much for used games? and I have bought games on Amazon and Gamefly knowing I can get most of my money back (if not for a profit!) on Best Buy trade-ins. well the gravy train is over but I'm not surprised.[/QUOTE]

I traded in Halo 4 to Best Buy for $40. That was after essentially getting it for $40 with the $20 RZ pre-order bonus and paying all with credit. Then getting a $20 price adjustment when Target had it for $39.99. And then selling the DLC on ebay for $40.

Would've been so awesome if I they actually did have it for $20 this week, lol. I would've bought it back and finished the campaign.

[quote name='JaylisJayP']I traded in Halo 4 to Best Buy for $40. That was after essentially getting it for $40 with the $20 RZ pre-order bonus and paying all with credit. Then getting a $20 price adjustment when Target had it for $39.99. And then selling the DLC on ebay for $40.

Would've been so awesome if I they actually did have it for $20 this week, lol. I would've bought it back and finished the campaign.[/QUOTE]

Did you do the Amex promo too? You would have made over $150...

Yes. BB has attacked TIVs. Lol! Thank goodness whoever the genius was that was marking games $1.00/$0.25 got lazy. I managed to get what I wanted from BB with some fancy footwork!:D

yeah but by the time they put them back on the shelves to sell used for 54.99 the new games are already $40 new. plus online passes/bundled dlc/etc.
This generation new game prices are dropping so fast it is extremely competitive with used game prices. before i would buy used to save money, but now you save so much just waiting a week or month or doing these deals getting 20 off top and still price matching if/when it drops soon enough.

[quote name='perfectsil']I've traded games in for $40-$42, there's just no way that was going to last. just how is Best Buy going to make money paying that much for used games?[/QUOTE]make profit from the @gamer mags & add spending tiers to GCU with better perks. I doubt they have 15 million unlocked members but with a better setup the subs would spur the entire GC. A touch of creativity & outta the box thinking would do them good.

[quote name='alwayscheaper']By selling them used for $54.99 like GameStop does?[/QUOTE]If they actually advertised better the same people who get suckered into paying $55 used would jump on the $45 used that BB does. If they do it right foot traffic/impulse purchaes on other high profit items help to offset the games.

[quote name='bearcatjosh']If a game (e.g., Anarchy Reigns) is not in the inline trade in value calculator, does best buy accept it?[/QUOTE]

For a buck or 50 cents or whatever the generic item trade in is these days.

Darn. So DC3 would get a pitance. Doesn't make a lot of sense that they'd give more for DC1 and DC2. Oh well. I guess I'll check again another day and see if it is in the system.

[quote name='crunchewy']Darn. So DC3 would get a pitance. Doesn't make a lot of sense that they'd give more for DC1 and DC2. Oh well. I guess I'll check again another day and see if it is in the system.[/QUOTE]

There is a contact option for the online trade in, you may want to message them about it not being there. At this point, it not being there is an oversight not a delay. DC3 came out in November or October didn't it?

Point is you an try to get in touch and "inform them that a rather popular game in a rather popular franchise is not in their database at all" or find an alternative to trade it cause it probably isn't going to get added any time soon at this point.

[quote name='crunchewy']Darn. So DC3 would get a pitance. Doesn't make a lot of sense that they'd give more for DC1 and DC2. Oh well. I guess I'll check again another day and see if it is in the system.[/QUOTE]

DC3 was in the system as recently as two weeks ago (I traded in DC2 and saw it when I was searching what the value would be). Don't remember what the base value was or anything, but this is almost definitely some sort of glitch on Best Buy's end (seems to happen more and more frequently).

[quote name='mpaullin']DC3 was in the system as recently as two weeks ago (I traded in DC2 and saw it when I was searching what the value would be). Don't remember what the base value was or anything, but this is almost definitely some sort of glitch on Best Buy's end (seems to happen more and more frequently).[/QUOTE]

Are you sure? I remember searching a couple of weeks ago and not seeing it.

Odd...

[quote name='BudzMcGee']Are you sure? I remember searching a couple of weeks ago and not seeing it.

Odd...[/QUOTE]

Hmm.. Maybe I'm not 100% sure I saw it two weeks ago, but I am 100% sure I've seen it before. I have looked up the TIV for those games a few times recently when I was hard up for cash, but always skipped it because the Mrs likes em.

[quote name='district_9000']Has anybody traded in the essentials version of forza 4? Do you get what there offering for the regular verison?[/QUOTE]
Yeah, same situation when trading in a GOTY version of a game.

[quote name='mpaullin']DC3 was in the system as recently as two weeks ago (I traded in DC2 and saw it when I was searching what the value would be). Don't remember what the base value was or anything, but this is almost definitely some sort of glitch on Best Buy's end (seems to happen more and more frequently).[/QUOTE]

[quote name='BudzMcGee']Are you sure? I remember searching a couple of weeks ago and not seeing it.

Odd...[/QUOTE]
Hate to break it to you guys but the base is $3. Searching via the game and then clicking the trade-in button yields this:
Not sure what's going on with the system. Here is the direct link if need it be.
wB6ITRcLDBGUwAAAABJRU5ErkJggg==

[quote name='JaylisJayP']I traded in Halo 4 to Best Buy for $40. That was after essentially getting it for $40 with the $20 RZ pre-order bonus and paying all with credit. Then getting a $20 price adjustment when Target had it for $39.99. And then selling the DLC on ebay for $40.

Would've been so awesome if I they actually did have it for $20 this week, lol. I would've bought it back and finished the campaign.[/QUOTE]

You traded Halo4 recently??? For $40? Hmmm...

[quote name='xfade']You traded Halo4 recently??? For $40? Hmmm...[/QUOTE]
He probably meant last year around 2nd or 3rd week after Halo 4 came out. Base for Halo 4 was around $22 to $20 for 100% and $27 for 50% trade in promo back then. It dropped thereafter to $17 for 50% and now at $12 for 100% promo.

[quote name='BudzMcGee']I imagine we will see it Sunday-Tuesday sometime.[/QUOTE]

It better. I'm waiting to see what it will be before opening and playing it. If it's anywhere below $30, I'm just going to return it...

[quote name='Zolor23']It better. I'm waiting to see what it will be before opening and playing it. If it's anywhere below $30, I'm just going to return it...[/QUOTE]
Given the trend lately, my guess is the base would be $14. We shall see.

[quote name='DealSeeker2U']Given the trend lately, my guess is the base would be $14. We shall see.[/QUOTE]

The base can't be that low.

The value on a lot of their trades has decreased significantly. Hopefully this changes soon otherwise Ill be doing a lot less business with Best Buy.

bread's done
Back