Best Buy Trade-in 4.0 - see new thread (5.0)!

BudzMcGee

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
At nearly 300 pages it was time for a new thread. You can view the previous thread here!

THIS THREAD OP IS NO LONGER ACTIVELY UPDATED WITH NEW PROMOS.

All Promotions are available in-store only, and they DO NOT stack!

Only the 10% Bonus from Gamers Club Unlocked will stack with these offers, and it definitely does stack despite what some employees will say.

Please read FAQ below before asking questions!

General video game promotions link: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=pcat17093&type=page (Promotions are listed at the bottom of the page)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BEST BUY'S VIDEO GAMES TRADE-IN PAGE & VALUE ESTIMATOR

Check which BB stores do trade-ins here.
In-store trades may be done in the Gaming Dept or at customer service depending on the store.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

F.A.Q. Best Buy has a short FAQ here.

How does the **% bonus TIV work?
The percentage is based on the final total of your entire trade in, so if the trade in is $100 and there is a 50% bonus your final gift card value will be $150.

How does the 10% Gamers Club Unlocked bonus work?
The 10% bonus for Gamers Club Unlocked members is calculated from the base trade in value. So in the above example, a $100 trade would get an extra $10 with the GCU membership bonus. So if there was a 50% trade in bonus it would be $100 base, $10 Gamers Club Unlocked bonus and $50 TIV bonus for a grand total of $160.

How do I become a Gamers Club Unlocked member and get the 10% bonus?
Any video game section employee should be able to set you up with the GCU membership. It cost $15 and comes with a year subscription of @Gamer magazine (which typically has a couple of great coupons every month). It will also get you a 10% bonus on trade ins and 10% off of used games (Make sure to point it out to the blue shirt doing your trade-in though as it is easy for them to skip, and they are still new to it). It can take 48 hours (or more) for GCU to show up on your Reward Zone membership.

I didn't get my 10% bonus or the employee said it doesn't stack, what gives?
As of September 2012 the trade in system at Best Buy was updated, and employees seem to be having a hard time making sure that they add the GCU bonus. It should be added immediately after they scan your games, and before they take your personal information. You also should always try to know your full trade in value with bonuses before going to the store so that if the price is different you can identify it immediately. The 10% bonus definitely does stack with any TIV promo (100%, 50%, it doesn't matter). All the Gamers Club Unlocked pamphlets say so, as does the website, and are a great place to point to if an employee or a manager tells you otherwise.

Do we get Reward Zone points for trade-ins??
Yes. You get one point for every pre-bonus dollar traded in. So if your TIV was $100 before bonuses, you get 100 Reward Zone points. Gamers Club Unlocked members (and possibly standard Gamers Club members) get double points for everything gaming, including trade-ins. So in the same example you would wind up with 200 Reward Zone points. To get Reward Zone points you must have them include your Reward Zone membership information (easiest to look up by phone number) with your trade-in (this is required for the Gamers Club Unlocked bonus anyway).

Can I use my Best Buy gift card to purchase Amazon Kindle Gift Cards or Visa Gift Cards?
Yes, although some employees may not be aware of this and incorrectly refuse to do so. Visa Gift Cards have a $200 limit and a $6 activation fee. Amazon Gift Cards are available in $25, $50 and $100 depending on your store selection. Some states, or even localities (county, city, etc.) may not allow the sale of Amazon Gift Cards. Yes, Kindle Gift Cards are good for anything on Amazon.

The value on the site doesn't match the store, why?
Sometimes the page may not update immediately. This is fairly rare though. The store's trade-in values are definitive though, so what they say is what you get. 99.99% of the time they will match up.

The value on the iPhone/Android app is way off, why?
The app often sucks for updating values (and some games simply don't show up), don't rely on it if you don't have to.

The game I want to trade isn't on the site, what gives?
While rare, there have been some games recently not showing up in the online estimator. You can always check in-store to see if the price is in their system and simply not online, but that is unlikely to be the case (as in, it is possible that has never been the case). When Best Buy doesn't have a game on file they can offer $1 as a generic SKU, but that's it. New releases appear to be added on Tuesday evenings. Many new releases are taking upwards of a week or more to be added to the site.

How come the GOTY/complete version doesn't show up in the estimator?
Best Buy doesn't differentiate between the vanilla and GOTY/complete versions of a game 99% of the time. This is largely a cover-all policy due to the fact that many GOTY editions include the game's DLC and bonus content as one-time use codes; meaning that the game has no extra value on the 2nd hand market and honestly, Best Buy probably doesn't trust their employees to make sure all the extra content is included. So no extra TIV for your GOTY games. The plus side is that GOTY and vanilla versions sell at the same price, so if the DLC is located on disc and you find a GOTY version in-store it will be the same price as the vanilla one.

When do trade-in values update?
No one knows for sure, but updates can and do happen at any time. Sometimes an update will happen at an atypical time, such as when GameStop has an advertised sale for a game well below Best Buy's trade in price.

What will be the TIV of Game X tomorrow/next week / next month/ etc
Nobody knows.

If I locked in a trade online, and the value drops, will I still get the locked in value when I mail it in?
Yes. You will get the locked in TIV as long as the item is received within 14 days of you locking it in (and the item is in the condition you described it as).

Can you lock in the price online then trade it in-store?
No.

Is there a limit to how many games I can trade in?
Officially, Best Buy only accepts 3 copies of a game, per system (i.e. you could trade in 3 copies of a game for Xbox, 3 copies for PS3 and 3 for Wii). This is for sure the online policy, but it varies in stores. Some people have reported being banned for trading in more than 3 copies of games, others have done so frequently without issue. Obviously it is YMMV, but do so at your own risk.

Lately some people have been told the policy is 1 game per system (i.e. you could trade in 1 copy of a game for Xbox, 1 for PS3 and 1 for Wii), and have been actively turned down when trading in more than one copy. Whether this is actually something they are banning for or if it is just what employees are being told to follow to limit multiples is unknown. Trade multiples at your own risk.

Can I trade game disc only, or do I need the case and manuals, too?
Best Buy accepts disc only games (for the same value as complete games). The trade in will take longer though as the employee will have to look up the games individually. Yes, this also applies to DS, 3DS, PSP, etc. If you have the manual and artwork you should trade it in though anyway to improve the quality of the selection for people who may want to buy the game in the future (you can't know if the game will be complete when you buy online for example).

Can I trade in games that say "Not for Resale" on the back?
Yes, since the only thing that matters is the disc. Some employees will fight this though, and in that case, just trade the game in as disc-only. Employees have gotten much better about knowing this policy though, and busier stores are more likely to have employees that have done more trade ins and know the rules.

Does Best Buy accept game hardware?
Currently Best Buy only accepts various versions of the Nintendo DS in store, but some stores apparently accept consoles as well. Call ahead before bringing it in. That said, the TIV for most hardware is lower than competitors.

Does the **% bonuses apply to game hardware?
No, games only.

When I do a in-store trade, I am asked: to be fingerprinted, to have my photo taken, how much I weigh, etc. What's the deal?
Pawn shop laws regulating trade-ins and resale of used goods varies from state to state or even city to city. It is not Best Buy's rule, and varies from store to store depending on where you live. At a minimum you'll need a government issued ID (passport, drivers license, military ID, etc.).

I went to a store to do a trade-in and they asked for a Best Buy receipt. WTF?
Some stores are required to have receipts to accept trade-ins, again this is due to local Pawn shop laws and could vary from city to city. You can always check if the store(s) near you require a receipt on Best Buy's trade-in site.

Can I trade sealed games?
Yes. You must present your receipt for the sealed games you are trading in. It is ok if the purchase was made from another store. You do run the risk of drawing extra attention to yourself as trading in sealed products is often a sign of theft. Do not be surprised if this is questioned by an employee, or you are asked to leave, open the items and return. You might even be flat out denied by the employee or manager despite the official rule. It is their right to do so.

How does the get **% with pre-order bonus work?
After trading in your games, the employee SHOULD then sell you the pre-order for $5.

How much is a pre-order at Best Buy?
Pre-ordering at Best Buy cost $5, in fact, you aren't supposed to pay any more than that (and most employees won't let you if you ask). Yes, you can use the gift card you just received from your trade-in to purchase the pre-order.

Can I cancel a pre-order and keep the bonus?
Yes, the trade-in and the pre-order are completely separate transactions. Nothing will prevent you from returning to the Best Buy canceling the pre-order and receiving a refund. Some users have claimed that they were flagged for doing this multiple times though and were denied, so be aware of how many pre-orders you are cancelling. Also keep in mind the obvious facts that this is not how the program is intended to work and over abuse will negatively affect the program long-term. Lastly, returns are tracked on a personal level by a third party. (Read: try not to cancel a bunch of pre-orders)

Do I have to cancel the pre-order at the same store where it was made?
No, this can be handled by any BBY. Don't be surprised if you get a customer service employee who says otherwise though.

Can I pre-order once and get the pre-order bonus on my next trade-in as well?
YMMV. Officially, the answer is no, but there is nothing that actually requires the employee to sell the pre-order in order to apply the bonus so if your blue shirt is in a friendly mood they may be willing. Doesn't hurt to get to know the employees at your store. That said, expect that you will have to pre-order another game and be surprised if you don't.

Can I combine a 3 games for **% and a pre-order for **% bonus?
No. Bonuses do not stack, and you must pick one or the other. The only bonus that stacks with other promotions is the 10% you receive if you are a Gamers Club Unlocked member.

Remember, all trades are technically at the discretion of Best Buy and they can refuse to accept a game for whatever reason they want (outside of you being black, woman, Jewish, etc.).

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='mrclutch']I haven't traded in awhile and tried today. Took forever to get them to take Killzone Trilogy because it was in a not for resale case from the controller bundle. Then they wouldn't give me the value for Uncharted 2 Goty because I brought it in a generic BBY case for Uncharted 2. She kept saying that she had to go by the upc on the case which was for the non goty version. Can't they still take games without a case? If so I"l take it back with no case.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, is just take in that uncharted 2 GOTY in disc only. Or at least remove the 'art work' of the best buy generic case.

[quote name='Enuf']I'd take it games that sell alot seem to be ones BB will drop not raise.[/QUOTE]
Actually, BLOPS2's base trade went up in the last week by $3.

I doubt you'll get more than $34 for it at this point though, navalg1337....so yeah....jump on that, I did.

I was Worst Buy'd today at Best Buy. They told me they wouldn't allow me to trade in a game without the case. But that's not the problem. I can understand that there are managers that are ignorant of the policy. What I have a problem with is the stupid reason he gave me. He told me that the store is losing money by taking in a game only trade in. He told me that by only taking the disc, they have to spend money to buy a case for it. That's true, they do, but that is not the customer's problem at all. He then likened taking a disc only game to him selling a computer for $1. The similarity? Best Buy loses money. He likened buying a case for a few cents to spending hundreds of dollars on a computer.

I would like to present a thesis to the scientific community. It is possible to become dumber by being near a dumb person. When you are near a dumb person, they radiate stupid energy, which causes you to become dumber by being near them. I am serious, I think I lost at least a dozen IQ points by talking to that guy.

[quote name='Fukurou']I was Worst Buy'd today at Best Buy. They told me they wouldn't allow me to trade in a game without the case. But that's not the problem. I can understand that there are managers that are ignorant of the policy. What I have a problem with is the stupid reason he gave me. He told me that the store is losing money by taking in a game only trade in. He told me that by only taking the disc, they have to spend money to buy a case for it. That's true, they do, but that is not the customer's problem at all. He then likened taking a disc only game to him selling a computer for $1. The similarity? Best Buy loses money. He likened buying a case for a few cents to spending hundreds of dollars on a computer.

I would like to present a thesis to the scientific community. It is possible to become dumber by being near a dumb person. When you are near a dumb person, they radiate stupid energy, which causes you to become dumber by being near them. I am serious, I think I lost at least a dozen IQ points by talking to that guy.[/QUOTE]

I had one trade in where a gal manager walked by just as the staff member was apologizing to me for hitting the wrong button and having to start over... sigh 27 games... mostly DS that I took in in without cases ...
She copped an attitude, acted like I was not present and snappily asked the staff member where were the cases?
Staff member shrugged and explained his error and she left...
I then stated that BBuy sells cases that hold only DS cartridges or Game/DVD discs to save space... so were they going to stop selling those so that patrons kept cases for future trade ins?
He said you have a point....

Perhaps your manager should take a look at the storage cases they sell to discourage you from keeping cases and then explain your rejected trade in...

[quote name='mrclutch']I have always thought that they should deduct a dollar when you don't have a case. Problem solved.[/QUOTE]

Best Buy and Gamestop both sell used games without cases all the time. Do you really think they're going to sell it cheaper just because it doesn't have a case? Why is it fair for them to give you less money then?

When you log into myrz does that premiere silver tab means that you are silver member. Haven't logged on in months now i forgot if that was even there or not

[quote name='Fukurou']I would like to present a thesis to the scientific community. It is possible to become dumber by being near a dumb person. When you are near a dumb person, they radiate stupid energy, which causes you to ber by being near them. I am serious, I think I lost at least a dozen IQ points by talking to that guy.[/QUOTE]
Dude you got dumber. Sorry.

I do agree with your thesis, but when I know a conversation is going down the dumb path I look for an out (in a respectable manner of course because stooping to their level doesn't help your cause).

Save yourself the hassle next time because it simply ain't worth it.

[quote name='renique46']When you log into myrz does that premiere silver tab means that you are silver member. Haven't logged on in months now i forgot if that was even there or not[/QUOTE]

If the page turns silver/gray after you sign in then yes

[quote name='Rockinjs']If the page turns silver/gray after you sign in then yes[/QUOTE]

Hmm interesting, page didn't turn silver but it does say premier silver status right under where they show your certificate balance. Nice didn't even know they upgraded me

Its not silver status. It always says
Premier
Silver Status

but there is usually a bar under there showing your progress but right now its replaced with

Your recent transactions may be delayed through 2/23. Learn more.

[quote name='mrclutch']I have always thought that they should deduct a dollar when you don't have a case. Problem solved.[/QUOTE]

Also the person bringing in a disc with no case could just buy a case before they hit the trade-in counter. Again, problem solved.

[quote name='strait edge follower']is this promo going to be extended ? i have a very good trade in planed using my gamestop b2g1 free coupon and i dont want to miss out on doin it :)[/QUOTE]enuf said in the weekly ad thread for this week that he thought the 100% would end on the following Saturday (2/23). It'd be nice if the ad was posted so we could know for certain, though.

[quote name='Claus DuBois']Also the person bringing in a disc with no case could just buy a case before they hit the trade-in counter. Again, problem solved.[/QUOTE]

I actually did that with a game I took in, the chick there even said "Thanks for actually bringing a case for the game." lol I asked her if people tended to bring their games without cases and she was like "Yeah, they just bring the disc only without a paper sleeve or anything".

I'm amazed BB actually takes discs like that without deducting anything.

[quote name='Vigilante']enuf said in the weekly ad thread for this week that he thought the 100% would end on the following Saturday (2/23). It'd be nice if the ad was posted so we could know for certain, though.[/QUOTE]The promo signs in-store have the end date at the bottom when I was in-store I looked for it & posted it.

it looks like bestbuy doesnt except ps2 games anymore as every ps2 game has a 0$ value now with the up comming changes to the rewards program and stuff this doesnt surprise me. ohh i miss those days of trading in the ps2 sports games lol. business wise this move is the obvious one for them to make

[quote name='strait edge follower']it looks like bestbuy doesnt except ps2 games anymore as every ps2 game has a 0$ value now with the up comming changes to the rewards program and stuff this doesnt surprise me. ohh i miss those days of trading in the ps2 sports games lol. business wise this move is the obvious one for them to make[/QUOTE]

Surprised it took this long, but leave it to Best Buy to not just remove them from the system but instead give them all a $0 value. lol

Suppose that makes sense though, that way no store clerk who doesn't realize they don't take them anymore doesn't just start giving them the generic sku or something...

[quote name='Fukurou']The Facebook app isn't working for me. Is anybody else having trouble, or is it just me?[/QUOTE]
I'm having problems too

Reward zone was done today for mantinence. It just came back up so it should be working within the next hour.

Funny thing though, BB took points away from my g/fs account and issued her a 10 dollar cert only losing 17 points total. My g/f called and asked why she lost points if she has a credit card with them and also because it issued us a cert but we couldnt find it or print it. They said it would show up in a few days and to wait but then we checked her account the next day and the cert was there but they also added 500 points to the account.

Fast forward to today and she was reimbursed 325 points today as well lol.

[quote name='Fukurou']The Facebook app isn't working for me. Is anybody else having trouble, or is it just me?[/QUOTE]

I don't have a Facebook Account. If I made one say today would I be able to start taking advantage of the Best Buy poll right away or is there a waiting period? Also any idea how long BBY plans to continue this?

[quote name='mrclutch']I don't have a Facebook Account. If I made one say today would I be able to start taking advantage of the Best Buy poll right away or is there a waiting period? Also any idea how long BBY plans to continue this?[/QUOTE]
You can do it immdeiately. No idea how long it will go for.

Has anyone traded in Hitman HD Trilogy for Xbox 360? I dont understand why they dont have this game listed on their site.

[quote name='dan77733']Has anyone traded in Hitman HD Trilogy for Xbox 360? I dont understand why they dont have this game listed on their site.[/QUOTE]

From my experience, if the game is not listed online, it will not scan in-stores, as well ... and they won't accept it unless you want to settle for the $1 generic value game UPC barcode.

[quote name='BudzMcGee']Facebook app is still down for me for those asking before.[/QUOTE]
Yes. And as of right now, it is still down. Looks like we're gonna miss it today.

Yeah, still down but hey, just noticed this when the main reward zone site finally popped up for me a moment ago on the right hand side under account info: "Premier Silver member through Feb 2014"

Guess I got silver for another year. Wasn't sure if I had just made it or not.

Wonder if BB is shutting down the polls lol. Either way, apparently they kicked me into another free year of Silver, so I aint complaining. Wish I had found out sooner though, barely got 125 points from it

Traded in Assassin's Creed 3 (Xbox 360) for $20. Should have been $21 with my Unlocked membership, but the cashier was clueless on how to make that stack on top of the 100% bonus so he lazily lied to me by saying it would show up when I tried to use the gift card. I knew he was full of BS but I was not in the mood to argue over $1, so $20 it is.

The app seems to be working again. Although it's now some mobile app and it's only giving 10 points instead of 25. Is this permanent or what?

[quote name='Fukurou']The app seems to be working again. Although it's now some mobile app and it's only giving 10 points instead of 25. Is this permanent or what?[/QUOTE]

Apparently not. Got 2 polls today and got 50 points. Also finally got all my pending points, so I got another 5$ coupon today.

[quote name='perfectsil']Crysis 3 and Metal Gear Rising already up, base tiv $18[/QUOTE]

Basically the only thing BB trade-in is good for now are the new releases. Older games have better TIVs at GS. I should have gotten Crysis 3 :(

This week has actually given me some hope that Best Buy is actually working to make the trade in/pre-owned system work. This is the first time I can think of that pre-owned games were specifically advertised (as in the specific game and price) in a weekly ad. Plus, the clearancing out of all their PS2 and PSP pre-owned games shows that they are clearing out and eliminating parts of the program that don't make sense any more. Combine that with the fact they are still offering good values for new games gives me some hope that someone is over at corporate trying to make the whole thing work.

As a heads up, the reward zone facebook app is giving 25 points per poll again (well, for today's poll at least). There is also a new member choice thing available which will net another 25.

[quote name='perfectsil']Crysis 3 and Metal Gear Rising already up, base tiv $18[/QUOTE]

Now to just see what the TIVs go to when it's only 50% bonus. They need to be at least 24 base to be equivalent to now. I have faith.

I tried to trade in my copy of borderlands 2 I bought from Amazon last year in store yesterday and was told bestbuy doesn't accept trade-ins for games bought elsewhere. This was my first time attempting a trade-in at bestbuy so I was unaware that was a thing

[quote name='tk_tymes']I tried to trade in my copy of borderlands 2 I bought from Amazon last year in store yesterday and was told bestbuy doesn't accept trade-ins for games bought elsewhere. This was my first time attempting a trade-in at bestbuy so I was unaware that was a thing[/QUOTE]

That's BS. Try another Best Buy or different employee.

Its not bs. Stores have to abide by local pawn laws. You can see what restrictions your store has by searching the trade in store locater.

[quote name='Kyden139']Its not bs. Stores have to abide by local pawn laws. You can see what restrictions your store has by searching the trade in store locater.[/QUOTE]
Pawn laws? Those pawn laws are bs. Which makes Best Buy's rule bs. You can only trade in a game you bought in that store? That's so stupid.

LA has the same problem. 4 closest to me don't take trade-ins. They won't take it unless you have a receipt to prove it. Doesn't matter if it's 1-20 years old, you need the receipt. So lying and saying you purchased it there won't work.

EDIT:
Aliens Colonial Marines is up for $18. Might want to trade that in before the price plummets.

[quote name='sadunk']LA has the same problem. 4 closest to me don't take trade-ins. They won't take it unless you have a receipt to prove it. Doesn't matter if it's 1-20 years old, you need the receipt. So lying and saying you purchased it there won't work.
[/QUOTE]
Really? I have never ran into that requirement. They do swipe your ID and scan your fingerprint though. Maybe you didn't present your ID?

The Tampa Best Buys require that you bought the game from that specific store (with receipt) supposedly due to the local pawn laws. But it doesnt make sense to me as how in the world do regular pawn shops exist in Tampa? I have never stepped foot inside a pawn shop, but I thought you could sell your stuff to them if you wanted to. I doubt all the pawn shops in Tampa could exist without being able to buy stuff that people didnt buy from them.

bread's done
Back