Best Buy Trade-in 4.0 - see new thread (5.0)!

BudzMcGee

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
At nearly 300 pages it was time for a new thread. You can view the previous thread here!

THIS THREAD OP IS NO LONGER ACTIVELY UPDATED WITH NEW PROMOS.

All Promotions are available in-store only, and they DO NOT stack!

Only the 10% Bonus from Gamers Club Unlocked will stack with these offers, and it definitely does stack despite what some employees will say.

Please read FAQ below before asking questions!

General video game promotions link: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=pcat17093&type=page (Promotions are listed at the bottom of the page)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BEST BUY'S VIDEO GAMES TRADE-IN PAGE & VALUE ESTIMATOR

Check which BB stores do trade-ins here.
In-store trades may be done in the Gaming Dept or at customer service depending on the store.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

F.A.Q. Best Buy has a short FAQ here.

How does the **% bonus TIV work?
The percentage is based on the final total of your entire trade in, so if the trade in is $100 and there is a 50% bonus your final gift card value will be $150.

How does the 10% Gamers Club Unlocked bonus work?
The 10% bonus for Gamers Club Unlocked members is calculated from the base trade in value. So in the above example, a $100 trade would get an extra $10 with the GCU membership bonus. So if there was a 50% trade in bonus it would be $100 base, $10 Gamers Club Unlocked bonus and $50 TIV bonus for a grand total of $160.

How do I become a Gamers Club Unlocked member and get the 10% bonus?
Any video game section employee should be able to set you up with the GCU membership. It cost $15 and comes with a year subscription of @Gamer magazine (which typically has a couple of great coupons every month). It will also get you a 10% bonus on trade ins and 10% off of used games (Make sure to point it out to the blue shirt doing your trade-in though as it is easy for them to skip, and they are still new to it). It can take 48 hours (or more) for GCU to show up on your Reward Zone membership.

I didn't get my 10% bonus or the employee said it doesn't stack, what gives?
As of September 2012 the trade in system at Best Buy was updated, and employees seem to be having a hard time making sure that they add the GCU bonus. It should be added immediately after they scan your games, and before they take your personal information. You also should always try to know your full trade in value with bonuses before going to the store so that if the price is different you can identify it immediately. The 10% bonus definitely does stack with any TIV promo (100%, 50%, it doesn't matter). All the Gamers Club Unlocked pamphlets say so, as does the website, and are a great place to point to if an employee or a manager tells you otherwise.

Do we get Reward Zone points for trade-ins??
Yes. You get one point for every pre-bonus dollar traded in. So if your TIV was $100 before bonuses, you get 100 Reward Zone points. Gamers Club Unlocked members (and possibly standard Gamers Club members) get double points for everything gaming, including trade-ins. So in the same example you would wind up with 200 Reward Zone points. To get Reward Zone points you must have them include your Reward Zone membership information (easiest to look up by phone number) with your trade-in (this is required for the Gamers Club Unlocked bonus anyway).

Can I use my Best Buy gift card to purchase Amazon Kindle Gift Cards or Visa Gift Cards?
Yes, although some employees may not be aware of this and incorrectly refuse to do so. Visa Gift Cards have a $200 limit and a $6 activation fee. Amazon Gift Cards are available in $25, $50 and $100 depending on your store selection. Some states, or even localities (county, city, etc.) may not allow the sale of Amazon Gift Cards. Yes, Kindle Gift Cards are good for anything on Amazon.

The value on the site doesn't match the store, why?
Sometimes the page may not update immediately. This is fairly rare though. The store's trade-in values are definitive though, so what they say is what you get. 99.99% of the time they will match up.

The value on the iPhone/Android app is way off, why?
The app often sucks for updating values (and some games simply don't show up), don't rely on it if you don't have to.

The game I want to trade isn't on the site, what gives?
While rare, there have been some games recently not showing up in the online estimator. You can always check in-store to see if the price is in their system and simply not online, but that is unlikely to be the case (as in, it is possible that has never been the case). When Best Buy doesn't have a game on file they can offer $1 as a generic SKU, but that's it. New releases appear to be added on Tuesday evenings. Many new releases are taking upwards of a week or more to be added to the site.

How come the GOTY/complete version doesn't show up in the estimator?
Best Buy doesn't differentiate between the vanilla and GOTY/complete versions of a game 99% of the time. This is largely a cover-all policy due to the fact that many GOTY editions include the game's DLC and bonus content as one-time use codes; meaning that the game has no extra value on the 2nd hand market and honestly, Best Buy probably doesn't trust their employees to make sure all the extra content is included. So no extra TIV for your GOTY games. The plus side is that GOTY and vanilla versions sell at the same price, so if the DLC is located on disc and you find a GOTY version in-store it will be the same price as the vanilla one.

When do trade-in values update?
No one knows for sure, but updates can and do happen at any time. Sometimes an update will happen at an atypical time, such as when GameStop has an advertised sale for a game well below Best Buy's trade in price.

What will be the TIV of Game X tomorrow/next week / next month/ etc
Nobody knows.

If I locked in a trade online, and the value drops, will I still get the locked in value when I mail it in?
Yes. You will get the locked in TIV as long as the item is received within 14 days of you locking it in (and the item is in the condition you described it as).

Can you lock in the price online then trade it in-store?
No.

Is there a limit to how many games I can trade in?
Officially, Best Buy only accepts 3 copies of a game, per system (i.e. you could trade in 3 copies of a game for Xbox, 3 copies for PS3 and 3 for Wii). This is for sure the online policy, but it varies in stores. Some people have reported being banned for trading in more than 3 copies of games, others have done so frequently without issue. Obviously it is YMMV, but do so at your own risk.

Lately some people have been told the policy is 1 game per system (i.e. you could trade in 1 copy of a game for Xbox, 1 for PS3 and 1 for Wii), and have been actively turned down when trading in more than one copy. Whether this is actually something they are banning for or if it is just what employees are being told to follow to limit multiples is unknown. Trade multiples at your own risk.

Can I trade game disc only, or do I need the case and manuals, too?
Best Buy accepts disc only games (for the same value as complete games). The trade in will take longer though as the employee will have to look up the games individually. Yes, this also applies to DS, 3DS, PSP, etc. If you have the manual and artwork you should trade it in though anyway to improve the quality of the selection for people who may want to buy the game in the future (you can't know if the game will be complete when you buy online for example).

Can I trade in games that say "Not for Resale" on the back?
Yes, since the only thing that matters is the disc. Some employees will fight this though, and in that case, just trade the game in as disc-only. Employees have gotten much better about knowing this policy though, and busier stores are more likely to have employees that have done more trade ins and know the rules.

Does Best Buy accept game hardware?
Currently Best Buy only accepts various versions of the Nintendo DS in store, but some stores apparently accept consoles as well. Call ahead before bringing it in. That said, the TIV for most hardware is lower than competitors.

Does the **% bonuses apply to game hardware?
No, games only.

When I do a in-store trade, I am asked: to be fingerprinted, to have my photo taken, how much I weigh, etc. What's the deal?
Pawn shop laws regulating trade-ins and resale of used goods varies from state to state or even city to city. It is not Best Buy's rule, and varies from store to store depending on where you live. At a minimum you'll need a government issued ID (passport, drivers license, military ID, etc.).

I went to a store to do a trade-in and they asked for a Best Buy receipt. WTF?
Some stores are required to have receipts to accept trade-ins, again this is due to local Pawn shop laws and could vary from city to city. You can always check if the store(s) near you require a receipt on Best Buy's trade-in site.

Can I trade sealed games?
Yes. You must present your receipt for the sealed games you are trading in. It is ok if the purchase was made from another store. You do run the risk of drawing extra attention to yourself as trading in sealed products is often a sign of theft. Do not be surprised if this is questioned by an employee, or you are asked to leave, open the items and return. You might even be flat out denied by the employee or manager despite the official rule. It is their right to do so.

How does the get **% with pre-order bonus work?
After trading in your games, the employee SHOULD then sell you the pre-order for $5.

How much is a pre-order at Best Buy?
Pre-ordering at Best Buy cost $5, in fact, you aren't supposed to pay any more than that (and most employees won't let you if you ask). Yes, you can use the gift card you just received from your trade-in to purchase the pre-order.

Can I cancel a pre-order and keep the bonus?
Yes, the trade-in and the pre-order are completely separate transactions. Nothing will prevent you from returning to the Best Buy canceling the pre-order and receiving a refund. Some users have claimed that they were flagged for doing this multiple times though and were denied, so be aware of how many pre-orders you are cancelling. Also keep in mind the obvious facts that this is not how the program is intended to work and over abuse will negatively affect the program long-term. Lastly, returns are tracked on a personal level by a third party. (Read: try not to cancel a bunch of pre-orders)

Do I have to cancel the pre-order at the same store where it was made?
No, this can be handled by any BBY. Don't be surprised if you get a customer service employee who says otherwise though.

Can I pre-order once and get the pre-order bonus on my next trade-in as well?
YMMV. Officially, the answer is no, but there is nothing that actually requires the employee to sell the pre-order in order to apply the bonus so if your blue shirt is in a friendly mood they may be willing. Doesn't hurt to get to know the employees at your store. That said, expect that you will have to pre-order another game and be surprised if you don't.

Can I combine a 3 games for **% and a pre-order for **% bonus?
No. Bonuses do not stack, and you must pick one or the other. The only bonus that stacks with other promotions is the 10% you receive if you are a Gamers Club Unlocked member.

Remember, all trades are technically at the discretion of Best Buy and they can refuse to accept a game for whatever reason they want (outside of you being black, woman, Jewish, etc.).

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone else's state require your finger print to trade in? Lol so awk
Bay Area, CA requires finger print, DL. Sunnyvale best buy is even more restrictive in that it requires you to have bought the game from BB itself and need a receipt. I read here someone else mention it but completely forgot about it. I was trying to flip 007 legends yesterday there and realized when he asked for receipt that it was a bad idea. Luckily couple others near the area are not so restrictive.

Can you present the coupon via phone or no? Don't want to drive home since I'm already out :/
The mobile site is generally awful except for using PUR coupons. There it's set up perfectly for presenting to the clerk.

Thanks found it. Although it costs 7400 points -.-
For the 30,000 points I should be getting more than that back and saved somewhere in the neighborhood of $200.

Madden TIV 45$ still good thru early October right?

got 3 with gamestop b2g1 wanted to flip over to BB to start an account over there..

Are they usually strict with having the case and such or no? Also will they be "upset" im bringing in 3 copies?

Madden TIV 45$ still good thru early October right?

got 3 with gamestop b2g1 wanted to flip over to BB to start an account over there..

Are they usually strict with having the case and such or no? Also will they be "upset" im bringing in 3 copies?
Yea probably not gonna let you take three at one time

:D Whew! Glad the mods yanked those 2 big lists that were posted.
And, #NO.

Also, thanks a bagillion to the person who mentioned taking empty cases with me! Wow!

For some reason, I only see 5 or so of my last posts and I don't remember who that was.

I remember why I disliked Best Buy's trade system.  I was able to check the trade-in information.... Clerk forgot to add my 10% bonus ($35, guess it didn't apply to 100% TIV bump portion) and I asked him to remove 3 of the games, but he didn't.... He ended up just letting me leave with the ones I asked to be removed (.25 games), despite processing the trade... saying that they can cancel the individual games and remove that portion from the gift card.

I don't remember this being a possibility in the past... any inkling if this is going to screw up my gift card?

I remember why I disliked Best Buy's trade system. I was able to check the trade-in information.... Clerk forgot to add my 10% bonus ($35, guess it didn't apply to 100% TIV bump portion) and I asked him to remove 3 of the games, but he didn't.... He ended up just letting me leave with the ones I asked to be removed (.25 games), despite processing the trade... saying that they can cancel the individual games and remove that portion from the gift card.

I don't remember this being a possibility in the past... any inkling if this is going to screw up my gift card?
I don't see why it would since it is already in the system, especially since they were just 25 cent games.

I don't see why it would since it is already in the system, especially since they were just 25 cent games.
My thought process is that he said they'll go through corporate to cancel the $1.50 (the 3x .25 games + 100% bonus) and possibly cancel the entire transaction or something like that... I've never actually cancelled a part (or any) of a transaction in the past. -_-

I'm going to sign up for the GCU tmrw.

Anything I should know or do beforehand to get the 10% bonus? Reason for asking is because I know a lot of people miss out on it so I want to make sure I don't miss it on a big trade in

Hes full of shit.
He's the one who suggested keeping the .25 games... so basically he let me keep them and paid me for them. So jacked up. I just don't want them messing up this $700+ gift card, as I know this will be a nightmare having to get that amount reinstated and I sure as hell do not want those games back.

Hope GTA stays at $20 base all week.  I should have it done by the end of the week and even though it's not $45 guaranteed, it's still not too bad.

What's the most games you guys have taken at one stop? I saw some say say he 45 twice a week or something lol.
The most remember taking is 18 to one store and that felt excessive. Usually I'm around 10-12.

Hope GTA stays at $20 base all week. I should have it done by the end of the week and even though it's not $45 guaranteed, it's still not too bad.

Not even hanging onto it until GTAO?

Probably not. I'm slowly discovering that GTA just isn't for me anymore. The game is quite good, but just not quite what I'm looking for in gaming anymore. I doubt anything in GTAO will make me fall in love with the game.
I can understand that and have been hearing that from a lot of people that I've been talking to about it. I'm certainly not enjoying it the same way that I did with GTA4 but I'm still having a lot of fun with it and I'm at least interested to see what GTAO actually brings. To me the general chaos in singleplayer is far less interesting and it's other things I'm having fun with but I can see that chaos being appealing again with the random human element and friends in voice chat.

I've seen soccer moms with their kids taking a stack/box full of games in when there's no trade-in bonus and getting like $15 for the entire box.

And then I go home and cry a little inside.

I remember why I disliked Best Buy's trade system. I was able to check the trade-in information.... Clerk forgot to add my 10% bonus ($35, guess it didn't apply to 100% TIV bump portion) and I asked him to remove 3 of the games, but he didn't.... He ended up just letting me leave with the ones I asked to be removed (.25 games), despite processing the trade... saying that they can cancel the individual games and remove that portion from the gift card.

How did you check the trade in information if you didn't get the 10%? That would mean it is on your "mybestbuy" account under "trade in"? Or are you checking the customer copy, if that, post on the forums under the GCU or call in with that transaction number, and let them know about it. Don't fuss over the free $0.75, no reason for you to get worked up about it. Just call in/write on the forums, and you should get the $35 you are owed. (Also make sure to mention the points, $350 base would amount to 700 points, and that is close to $15 on its own. NOT TO MENTION that is $350 that you aren't getting counted towards "elite" or "elite plus".

For those people who didn't have their GCU 10% bonus reflect on their trade-in, have you tried contacting BB support? I see on their forums that it's a common issue and looks like they take care of the balance that you did not receive.

^What number would you contact exactly about that(no GCU 10% added)?
Someone posted it on the forum and a rep replied saying to PM them with the total of his trade-in, what games he traded in, etc.

Edit:

I'd assume you could also call the 1800 # and speak to a customer service or gaming rep.

During the PS2 extravaganza in 2011, I took in over 200 one time. Just dropped them off and the gaming manager called me when it was done. Pretty sure thats the big reason why I was banned.

I think a few of us did spindles of 75+ PS2 games.
I never touched the PS2 trades.

I remember running into a CAG that was doing the spindles while I was doing a trade in though.

60? Woah lol. Okay then I'll be fine with 20ish on one go lol

Yeah they shouldn't say much about it.

Someone posted it on the forum and a rep replied saying to PM them with the total of his trade-in, what games he traded in, etc.

Edit:

I'd assume you could also call the 1800 # and speak to a customer service or gaming rep.

Assuming most people here are silver members or "Elite Plus" You could call that number and they should take care of you.

I've taken 15-20 a couple of times. More recently, I've had reps give me trouble and say that 10 per customer per day was the limit, so now I don't take more than 10 (unless it's late and I have a feeling some values might get nuked, then I might take more).

Is anyone having trouble renewing their GCU? It's been a week of issues for me, missing out on 10% every time I trade in games because I fear values will drop the next day :(

Is anyone having trouble renewing their GCU? It's been a week of issues for me, missing out on 10% every time I trade in games because I fear values will drop the next day :(
I tried twice last week, once before my GCU expired and once after. Both times the SKU came up as an invalid item when they tried to complete the transaction. It seems like the issues started with the changeover from RZ to MyBB.

I tried twice last week, once before my GCU expired and once after. Both times the SKU came up as an invalid item when they tried to complete the transaction. It seems like the issues started with the changeover from RZ to MyBB.
Yea, and it's kind of weird how one of the employees tried using her reward zone and it worked. Really frustrating and hope it gets fixed soon.

I need the guy that sets the trade in values at Best Buy to go into work drunk again. Most of the decent flips seem to be disappearing on a daily basis.

I was going to trade in my Galaxy S 4 to Gamestop to move the credit over to Bestbuy, but even with a couple of 25% off coupons from the SOTW I think it would be too tedious to mess with right now.

I've seen soccer moms with their kids taking a stack/box full of games in when there's no trade-in bonus and getting like $15 for the entire box.

And then I go home and cry a little inside.
Thats actually quite surprising. It's my understanding that most of the population isnt even aware that BB does tradeins.

My friends continue to get raped at GS

I know rewards zone will give missing points for anyone missing out when they do not add your gcu on your trade ins. I have problems with one store in the area never giving me my 10% or points every time I went in there after giving them my rewards number and confirming it was me still never worked. So after purchasing a item at that store and giving them a negative review on my experience trading in and purchasing a item. Now the staff is trained on how to appropriately add your gcu to get your points and your 10%. Last time I went in they actually knew what I was talking about when I said gcu. Its not all about the 10% its more about the points also, but now I need to slow down trading in I think I'm close to 85 games after this week in the past 2 months.  I don't want to be banned for going over 100 games in 3 months. I did not know about the contacting cs for gift card though, if I ever have a problem again which I doubt it I'll keep it in mind.

I wanted to get GCU but the employees had no idea what it was or how to get it and I couldn't find it online.
Yess, same thing over here, had no clue what I was talking about at one BB. Gonna check another and see the print out kiosk people are referring to.

There used to be a page where you print out and they scan the SKU but it's no longer there with the whole transition from Rewardzone to My Best Buy or whatever it is now

bread's done
Back