Best Buy Trade-in 5.0 - see FAQ in OP!

BudzMcGee

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
Just seemed like a good time for a new thread. You can view the previous thread here!

THIS THREAD OP WILL NOT BE ACTIVELY UPDATED WITH NEW PROMOS - THIS IS PRIMARILY AN FAQ.

All Promotions are available in-store only, and they DO NOT stack!

Only the 10% Bonus from Gamers Club Unlocked will stack with these offers, and it definitely does stack despite what some employees will say.

Please read FAQ below before asking questions!

Flip discussion is allowed on CAG, but begging for list of games to flip is not only obnoxious but doesn't help the community in any way; don't be surprised if some users are only interested in trading information with other users who regularly contribute to the thread.

General video game promotions link: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=pcat17093&type=page (Promotions are listed at the bottom of the page)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BEST BUY'S VIDEO GAMES TRADE-IN PAGE & VALUE ESTIMATOR

Check which BB stores do trade-ins here.
In-store trades may be done in the Gaming Dept or at customer service depending on the store.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

F.A.Q. Best Buy has a short FAQ here.

How does the **% bonus TIV work?
The percentage is based on the final total of your entire trade in, so if the trade in is $100 and there is a 50% bonus your final gift card value will be $150.

How does the 10% Gamers Club Unlocked bonus work?
The 10% bonus for Gamers Club Unlocked members is calculated from the base trade in value. So in the above example, a $100 trade would get an extra $10 with the GCU membership bonus. So if there was a 50% trade in bonus it would be $100 base, $10 Gamers Club Unlocked bonus and $50 TIV bonus for a grand total of $160. 

How do I become a Gamers Club Unlocked member and get the 10% bonus?
Any video game section employee should be able to set you up with the GCU membership (should being the key word). The program has undergone some serious changes in the last couple of months. The program now cost $120  for two years and comes with a subscription of @Gamer magazine until May 2014 (which typically has a couple of great coupons every month). It will also get you a 10% bonus on trade ins, 20% off new games and 10% off of used games (Make sure to point it out to the blue shirt doing your trade-in though as it is easy for them to skip, and they are still new to it). It can take 48 hours (or more) for GCU to show up on your My Best Buy membership. Current GCU members have been upgraded to the new program for no extra charge and should have received a coupon to extend their membership for an additional 2 years at a cost of $30 ($15 a year). Members who had their subscription run out within a couple months of November 2013 will also get this coupon. 

I can't find the pamphlet or barcode to sign up for GCU!

Employees by and large seem ignorant of the program and probably won't be much help so here is what you need to do. There may be pamphlets around various areas of the store and if you can not find that try the touch kiosk. 

I didn't get my 10% bonus or the employee said it doesn't stack, what gives?
As of September 2012 the trade in system at Best Buy was updated, and employees seem to be having a hard time making sure that they add the GCU bonus. It should be added immediately after they scan your games, and before they take your personal information. You also should always try to know your full trade in value with bonuses before going to the store so that if the price is different you can identify it immediately. The 10% bonus definitely does stack with any TIV promo (100%, 50%, it doesn't matter). All the Gamers Club Unlocked pamphlets say so, as does the website, and are a great place to point to if an employee or a manager tells you otherwise.

For a full break down of when and how to help make sure your 10% was applied look in the spoiler.

How to get your 10% bonus

For some reason this is incredibly difficult for employees to get right. Following this process should work, but there is no accounting for the occasional very-bad-at-their-job employee.  

The 10% requires that they add your member information at a very specific point. The best way to describe it is that it must be entered along with your games, as it is on the same page. So immediately after they enter your games, but before navigating to the next page on their computer, the Best Buy employee has to enter your information, typically using your phone number, to find your account. It is on the same page as all of the games and if they are asking for your ID it is too late!  The big problem is that the next page also looking up your member information, but in a brilliant move of programming on Best Buy's part, it will not apply the membership bonus at this stage. An easy way to see if the bonus has been applied is to ask for the trade in total at this point as well, as the 10% (and any other bonuses) would already be applied; so if the numbers are off you know they need to go back a page and enter the information. Otherwise, that being done, it should work just fine.

Things to know/help you make sure the bonus is applied:

• Always know your trade total, including bonuses, before going in. This will help you catch issues.
  • Hold onto your ID until they ask for it, that way you know that they are on that page. Before handing them the ID is a great time to ask them what the total was if they haven't already told you because you can still catch the issue now. 
  • Be polite and helpful. Try to not get frustrated if they didn't enter the information at first, and politely mention that last time you had this issue the employee had to go back a page. In the event the issue isn't being resolved it never hurts to ask if maybe someone from gaming could help.  MOST employees will be friendly and work with you. 
  • Lastly, be persistent. Some employees will take it personally when you try to help, some will just be difficult because lets face it, retail jobs suck and you're probably the 900th person to ask them for something today. Giving up though not only makes you lose out on the 10% bonus, and the Reward Zone points (as well as credit towards your Elite Plus status), all it does is make sure the employee doesn't know what they are doing for the next customer either.  You paid for the bonus, make sure you get it. 

Do we get MyBestBuy (Reward Zone) points for trade-ins??
Yes. You get one point for every pre-bonus dollar traded in. So if your TIV was $100 before bonuses, you get 100 Reward Zone points. Gamers Club Unlocked members (and possibly standard Gamers Club members) get double points for everything gaming, including trade-ins. So in the same example you would wind up with 200 Reward Zone points. To get Reward Zone points you must have them include your Reward Zone membership information (easiest to look up by phone number) with your trade-in (this is required for the Gamers Club Unlocked bonus anyway).

Can I use my Best Buy gift card to purchase Amazon Kindle Gift Cards or Visa Gift Cards?
Yes, although some employees may not be aware of this and incorrectly refuse to do so. Visa Gift Cards have a $200 limit and a $6 activation fee. Amazon Gift Cards are available in $25, $50 and $100 depending on your store selection. Some states, or even localities (county, city, etc.) may not allow the sale of Amazon Gift Cards. Yes, Kindle Gift Cards are good for anything on Amazon.

The value on the site doesn't match the store, why?
Sometimes the page may not update immediately. This is fairly rare though. The store's trade-in values are definitive though, so what they say is what you get. 99.99% of the time they will match up.

The value on the iPhone/Android app is way off, why?
The app often sucks for updating values (and some games simply don't show up), don't rely on it if you don't have to.

The game I want to trade isn't on the site, what gives?
While rare, there have been some games recently not showing up in the online estimator. You can always check in-store to see if the price is in their system and simply not online, but that is unlikely to be the case (as in, it is possible that has never been the case). When Best Buy doesn't have a game on file they can offer $1 as a generic SKU, but that's it. New releases appear to be added on Tuesday evenings. Many new releases are taking upwards of a week or more to be added to the site.

How come the GOTY/complete version doesn't show up in the estimator?
Best Buy doesn't differentiate between the vanilla and GOTY/complete versions of a game 99% of the time. This is largely a cover-all policy due to the fact that many GOTY editions include the game's DLC and bonus content as one-time use codes; meaning that the game has no extra value on the 2nd hand market and honestly, Best Buy probably doesn't trust their employees to make sure all the extra content is included. So no extra TIV for your GOTY games. The plus side is that GOTY and vanilla versions sell at the same price, so if the DLC is located on disc and you find a GOTY version in-store it will be the same price as the vanilla one.

When do trade-in values update?
No one knows for sure, but updates can and do happen at any time. Sometimes an update will happen at an atypical time, such as when GameStop has an advertised sale for a game well below Best Buy's trade in price.

What will be the TIV of Game X tomorrow/next week / next month/ etc
Nobody knows.

If I locked in a trade online, and the value drops, will I still get the locked in value when I mail it in?
Yes. You will get the locked in TIV as long as the item is received within 14 days of you locking it in (and the item is in the condition you described it as). Again, the item MUST BE RECEIVED within 14 days. It is not enough to simply ship it within the 14 day time period (like Amazon). Be mindful of this if you are trying to trade in a game that you are waiting to ship/arrive from an online store. If you miss the receiving deadline and then complain about it in the thread you will probably be made fun of. You have been warned.

Can you lock in the price online then trade it in-store?
No. Online and in-store are completely separate in every way but their base trade in values.

Do I get the XX% bonus or my 10% GCU bonus when trading online?

No. All bonuses, including GCU member bonus only work in-store.  The value listed on the website is the value you will receive, nothing more.

How do I get my giftcard for online trades?

Online trades will receive a E-Giftcard.  E-Giftcards can be printed and used in store, you can also go in store and ask a cashier to "transfer" it to a real giftcard, i.e. buy a real giftcard with the E-Giftcard funds if you wish. Apparently the online system states they will mail a giftcard but this is not accurate. 

Is there a limit to how many games I can trade in?
Officially, Best Buy recently changed their policy on this then changed it back. You can trade up to 3 copies of a title per platform. The system will not automatically stop you from trading in more than 3 copies of a game, some have done so frequently without issue but many others have been banned for trading over the limit in the past so it is not recommended if you wish to keep Best Buy as a trade in option in the future. Obviously it is YMMV, but do so at your own risk. If you regularly re-buy games at lower prices and trade in a lot it may be wise to keep track of all that you trade in.

Can I trade game disc only, or do I need the case and manuals, too?
Best Buy accepts disc only games (for the same value as complete games). The trade in will take longer though as the employee will have to look up the games individually. Yes, this also applies to DS, 3DS, PSP, etc. If you have the manual and artwork you should trade it in though anyway to improve the quality of the selection for people who may want to buy the game in the future (you can't know if the game will be complete when you buy online for example).

Can I trade in games that say "Not for Resale" on the back?
Yes, since the only thing that matters is the disc. Some employees will fight this though, and in that case, just trade the game in as disc-only. Employees have gotten much better about knowing this policy though, and busier stores are more likely to have employees that have done more trade ins and know the rules.

Does Best Buy accept game hardware?
Currently Best Buy only accepts various versions of the Nintendo DS in store, but some stores apparently accept consoles as well. Call ahead before bringing it in. That said, the TIV for most hardware is lower than competitors.

Does the **% bonuses apply to game hardware?
No, games only.

When I do a in-store trade, I am asked: to be fingerprinted, to have my photo taken, how much I weigh, etc. What's the deal?
Pawn shop laws regulating trade-ins and resale of used goods varies from state to state or even city to city. It is not Best Buy's rule, and varies from store to store depending on where you live. At a minimum you'll need a government issued ID (passport, drivers license, military ID, etc.).

I went to a store to do a trade-in and they asked for a Best Buy receipt. WTF? 
Some stores are required to have receipts to accept trade-ins, again this is due to local Pawn shop laws and could vary from city to city. You can always check if the store(s) near you require a receipt on Best Buy's trade-in site.

Can I trade sealed games?
Yes. You must present your receipt for the sealed games you are trading in. It is ok if the purchase was made from another store. You do run the risk of drawing extra attention to yourself as trading in sealed products is often a sign of theft. Do not be surprised if this is questioned by an employee, or you are asked to leave, open the items and return. You might even be flat out denied by the employee or manager despite the official rule. It is their right to do so.

How does the get **% with pre-order bonus work?
After trading in your games, the employee SHOULD then sell you the pre-order for $5.

How much is a pre-order at Best Buy?
Pre-ordering at Best Buy cost $5, in fact, you aren't supposed to pay any more than that (and most employees won't let you if you ask). Yes, you can use the gift card you just received from your trade-in to purchase the pre-order.

Can I cancel a pre-order and keep the bonus?
Yes, the trade-in and the pre-order are completely separate transactions. Nothing will prevent you from returning to the Best Buy canceling the pre-order and receiving a refund. Some users have claimed that they were flagged for doing this multiple times though and were denied, so be aware of how many pre-orders you are cancelling. Also keep in mind the obvious facts that this is not how the program is intended to work and over abuse will negatively affect the program long-term. Lastly, returns are tracked on a personal level by a third party. (Read: try not to cancel a bunch of pre-orders)

Do I have to cancel the pre-order at the same store where it was made?
No, this can be handled by any BBY. Don't be surprised if you get a customer service employee who says otherwise though.

Can I pre-order once and get the pre-order bonus on my next trade-in as well?
YMMV. Officially, the answer is no, but there is nothing that actually requires the employee to sell the pre-order in order to apply the bonus so if your blue shirt is in a friendly mood they may be willing. Doesn't hurt to get to know the employees at your store. That said, expect that you will have to pre-order another game and be surprised if you don't.

Can I combine a 3 games for **% and a pre-order for **% bonus?
No. Bonuses do not stack, and you must pick one or the other. The only bonus that stacks with other promotions is the 10% you receive if you are a Gamers Club Unlocked member.

Remember, all trades are technically at the discretion of Best Buy and they can refuse to accept a game for whatever reason they want (outside of you being black, woman, Jewish, etc.).

Last edited by a moderator:
handsomepete said:
But this gives bby's program parity with gamestop's (1 title ever in theory enforced by humans) and Amazon's (2 titles every X months enforced electronically) and I hope as a result it gives it a fighting chance of continuing instead of our options for trade once again being reduced.
Wow, no - GS is not the same at all. GS clerks generally only allow one game at a time, but there is absolutely no limit on trading the same game multiple times. I have never heard of anyone being banned from trading at Gamestop unless it is over a ridiculous exploit (e.g., IATCG and HDMI cables ;)). GS does it the right way - their prices are set at a value that the games are worth buying at - the quantity thus doesn't matter (and if they get too many, the price drops).

Best Buy has it ass backwards - they don't stop the transaction at the time of the trade, but then ban you after the fact. Just the opposite of what GS does.

Wow, no - GS is not the same at all. GS generally only allows one game at a time but there is absolutely no limit on trading the same game multiple times.

In fact, Best Buy has it ass backwards - they don't stop the transaction at the time of the trade, but then ban you after the fact. Just the opposite of what GS does.
I'm clearly quite misinformed, I get blocked around these parts if I bring in the same game twice. Maybe they think I'm just ugly though.

handsomepete said:
I'm clearly quite misinformed, I get blocked around these parts if I bring in the same game twice. Maybe they think I'm just ugly though.
You mean if you come back the next day or go to a different store with the same game you get blocked? If so, that is pretty extreme and certainly just within that store/district. In any case, they certainly don't ban over multiple trade-ins.

Also, if you were to show them a receipt of your original purchase of the game you are trying to trade multiple times, they would probably allow it. GS's policy of not accepting more than 1 at a time is more to discourage people from trading in stolen games than it is to combat flipping. I think they don't care one bit about flippers as long as they think they are paying a fair price (that they can profit off of) for the games. However, they are justifiably worried about taking in stolen merchandise.

You mean if you come back the next day or go to a different store with the same game you get blocked? If so, that is pretty extreme and certainly just within that store/district. In any case, they certainly don't ban over multiple trade-ins.

Also, if you were to show them a receipt of your original purchase of the game you are trying to trade multiple times, they would probably allow it. GS's policy of not accepting more than 1 at a time is more to discourage people from trading in stolen games than it is to combat flipping. I think they don't care one bit about flippers as long as they think they are paying a fair price (that they can profit off of) for the games. However, they are justifiably worried about taking in stolen merchandise.
Just to chime in on my story in my district in Florida.

Years and YEARS ago (3-4 years now) I went to one store and traded in I think it was 4 toward a trade 2 get a game for $10 promo, not 100% on the details but it was trade 2 get a certain offer. So I got 2 games for $10 or whatever. The next day I went to another store and did the same thing once. So 6 games in, 3 games out.

At the store I traded in 4 games to there was a duplicate and the manager Okayed it because I showed him my receipt, proving they were not stolen/ill gotten gains. Next thing I know a few weeks later I am banned....

I call corporate, they get me in touch with the DM and he goes on and on how I broke the rules of the "promo" and it was only once per customer plus there was a duplicate. I told him to take that up with the manager at the store, check the security video, your manager approved it, not my fault. He basically says "Sorry we don't want your business" and that was that. I call corporate and really complain and I ask to speak to someone higher then him because the store manager allowed this to occur.

The same DM calls me back and I go off on them. On how when they sell used games they give nothing to developers/publishers, so why is it OK for you to rip off the people who spend months/years of their lives working on the items that keep you in business, yet I cannot partake in a promotion that YOUR MANAGER APPROVED. This goes on for a few minutes and he said he would remove the ban but I would need to be careful from then on. As such...I barely trade into Gamestop and try to deal with them as little as possible for that and of course other reasons.

As such while it may not be a GS policy corporate wide, not 100% on that. It most certainly is in some districts and you can get EASILY banned for it.

Here's my good faith example of how this is inequitable.

I buy game X at Best Buy.  I start game X but I decide I want to play game Y (a new release title).  I go to Best Buy, trade game X towards Game Y.  

Later that month, best buy has a B2G1 free sale.  I pick game X back up.  Two weeks later I finish game X.  I decide to trade it in towards game Z at best buy.  Unfortunately, I can't do that without violating their new terms.

The above is an entirely plausible scenario with a bizarre end result.

What "bad deals" are you referring to? What other retailer has better deals that you can't price match at Best Buy? I don't understand the customer cost/benefits comments either. I like having credit there because GCU 20% discount and they can PM pretty much any relevant retailer if there happens to be a better deal. If I need Amazon credit for something, I can just buy Kindle cards. I've never seen Visa GCs at my Best Buy, but I've read about people being able to get those using their BB gift cards they got from trade ins. I fail to see where there is a better option unless I get in my time machine and go back to 2012 where Best Buy was paying me to play new releases. I never thought that would last and I've moved on.

Trade limit sucks, but I've never felt entitled to flipping games and that's the main reason I would trade more than 1 copy of a game.
Again I never said "BB had bad deals" I responded that a well trained staff won`t overcome crap deals it was a general comment.
Cost vs benefit
1- They took away $10 for every $150 spent
2- Took away $20 pre-order options
3- Took away 60 day pm
4- Took away 60 day post purchase pm
5- Took away comp. post purchase pm`s altogether
6- Increased elite plus by $1000
7- Increased GCU cost by 4X

And they`ve offered us the exact same things and 20% off, not quite equal. Pretty much everything else you stated I`ve stated in this very thread. I`m also the king of pm`s and visa cards. Their 5X rz pts promo + visa`s cards is why I won`t have to pay for my PS4 & how I will always be elite plus.

Their focus on flippers is quite misguided when the real fiscal issue is converting large trade in credit into tablets/tv`s...In fact, if done correctly they could profit off the flipper by having the keep putting up $60/yr.

At $120 for what they`re offering it might as well be $12,000 & if they`re depending on new $120 customers to save GCU it`s already dead. They need to offer more but setup the promos for both profit & performance.

I can't take advantage of arbitrage situations between Best Buy and other retailers that results in Best Buy's bottom line getting annihilated. What a travesty! They just lost all my business that they didn't actually want by implementing these new policies!

Again I never said "BB had bad deals" I responded that a well trained staff won`t overcome crap deals it was a general comment.
Cost vs benefit
1- They took away $10 for every $150 spent
2- Took away $20 pre-order options
3- Took away 60 day pm
4- Took away 60 day post purchase pm
5- Took away comp. post purchase pm`s altogether
So confused. So this is a fake scenario where Best Buy has a well trained staff, which won't save them because they have crap deals? I don't understand the point of the comment then.

Again, there is no way they were going to keep those PM policies. I'm sure they lost a ton of money on them and there was really no reason for them to keep them. It's not like another retailer has similar post purchase PM policies and Best Buy had to keep throwing money away or lose business. Like I said in my original response, Best Buy is definitely the best place to buy right now unless you live in a state where Amazon doesn't charge sales tax, then you could make an argument for them on certain deals if you don't have GCU.

I don't like GCU at $120 up front and I've said before that they were dumb to not make it just $60 year to year. I think a lot of people here have the next 2 years locked in for $30 and even if they shut down the program before those 2 years are up, I can't complain. I already got way more than my moneys worth and I'm sure a lot of people on this site can say the same. You even said yourself that you cheated the system to get Elite Plus and based on what else you've said, you took full advantage of their old PM policy, so I fail to see what you're complaining about. 60 day post purchase PMs were great, but those times have been over for awhile. Time to move on.

I can't take advantage of arbitrage situations between Best Buy and other retailers that results in Best Buy's bottom line getting annihilated. What a travesty! They just lost all my business that they didn't actually want by implementing these new policies!
Pretty much this. The only real complaint I have is they just made a change to their trade in policy without any notice. I bet they didn't even inform their employees on the policy change (actually, the employees probably didn't even know the "old" policy).

I think they would have better luck if they would be up front with whatever restrictions they want to implement. Half the time the trade in process is a headache in itself.

I haven't been following the new trade-in rules at all.  Am I going to have an issue trading in a game if I traded that same game (same platform) this past summer?  I'm pretty sure I traded the same one in to BB, but it could have been GS.

I just jumped into the thread and I'm seeing the word banned over and over.  I don't know if it's actually happened to anyone or if it's just the possibility being discussed.   I just didn't want to chance it over $12.

So if this is in fact the new policy and they enforce it strictly, is anyone planning on going out in a blaze of glory?
Just as soon as the Unboxed moderators confirm that this is the case, yes. Why wouldn't you? 1 per system is not acceptable. Even non-flippers will enounter serious problems.

I can't say I'm entirely surprised by this... they've probably been losing tons of money (to CAGs and other "educated" shoppers, and then a lot more to the big flippers). 

But still a pretty shitty move to do this without prior notice, especially after the recent $30 2-year GCU renewal program.

It's easy to say this in hindsight, but Best Buy really needed to think out all of these logistical problems with "New" vs. "Used" prices, TIVs, quantity limits, trading procedures & employee training way in advance, especially with regards to existing competition (primarily GameStop), and then present everything in a consumer-friendly manner.

The new policy might strip out the major losses, but if they don't manage their TIVs, "used" prices, and sales very closely (i.e., monitoring GameStop and other online competitions in the used games space) this will be the last gasps of a dying program. Either nobody will trade games in, or they'll end up (slowly) building up a used games inventory that nobody will buy (which is probably already happening anyways).

they tried to beat GS at the used game market when they started the GCU and specialized customer service gaming area. now they are just giving up, started with the elimination of customer service in the gaming area. GCU and trading are just left out there to die on their own slowly. they will continue to sell new games, like they sell other media. but i wont be surprised if they completely kill off in store trade in within 18 months. 

You have to figure that they are probably abandoning used games.  With a 1 title and 50 game per person limit, I just can't envision how they are going to have the inventory to hold B2G1 sales.

So confused. So this is a fake scenario where Best Buy has a well trained staff, which won't save them because they have crap deals? I don't understand the point of the comment then.
A CAG responded that a well trained staff is al they need to fix GCU, I responded that no matter how they`re trained it wont`t overcome crap deals or excessively restrictive policies. Meaning they must offer more for $120 which is a fact.

Again, there is no way they were going to keep those PM policies. I'm sure they lost a ton of money on them and there was really no reason for them to keep them. It's not like another retailer has similar post purchase PM policies and Best Buy had to keep throwing money away or lose business. Like I said in my original response, Best Buy is definitely the best place to buy right now unless you live in a state where Amazon doesn't charge sales tax, then you could make an argument for them on certain deals if you don't have GCU.

I don't like GCU at $120 up front and I've said before that they were dumb to not make it just $60 year to year. I think a lot of people here have the next 2 years locked in for $30 and even if they shut down the program before those 2 years are up, I can't complain. I already got way more than my moneys worth and I'm sure a lot of people on this site can say the same. You even said yourself that you cheated the system to get Elite Plus and based on what else you've said, you took full advantage of their old PM policy, so I fail to see what you're complaining about. 60 day post purchase PMs were great, but those times have been over for awhile. Time to move on.
Ok, this "huge loss of money via pm`s" that you state as fact when did BB or an official BB source state any of that?
B/C the pm`s were limited to silver members ONLY #1, the % of people who pm at all is small & the ones who post purchase at all is even smaller.
The fact is the pm policy was a casualty of poor total sales of high end items(BB stated mainly TV`s) and loss sales to "showrooming". That`s direct from BB.

BB has always been the best place to buy from even if you pay tax. I`ve been accused of being too pro-BB many times but I call them out when they screw up too. GCU is my idea that BB cherrypicked but they did it completely wrong. I told them to add tiers and increase value thru each one. My way allows the to generate huge profits(not just revenue) with a free, $15, $40-$50 & $100 sub fees. I could easily get the majority of CAG`s to be willing to pay $100/yr for GCU but not for what BB is offering now.

I never said "I cheated the system to get elite plus" in fact I said BB has made huge profts on the fees from the visa`s cards. If BB consistantly can get $6 per $200 people spend at places like the grocery store then giving elite plus as a benefit is a steal for them. The only real way to way take advantage of elite plus is to SPEND ALOT which is what they want.

Since we agree on the $120 I`ll end on this, the success or failure of the current GCU will solely depend on how many $120 subs they get bottom line. And if they continue to decrease the benefits of shopping there along with increasing customer costs it will be harder to defend them.

I`m ok with paying more but I don`t wanna pay more to get less than I was getting for cheaper/free.

Ok, this "huge loss of money via pm`s" that you state as fact when did BB or an official BB source state any of that?
B/C the pm`s were limited to silver members ONLY #1, the % of people who pm at all is small & the ones who post purchase at all is even smaller.
The fact is the pm policy was a casualty of poor total sales of high end items(BB stated mainly TV`s) and loss sales to "showrooming". That`s direct from BB.

BB has always been the best place to buy from even if you pay tax. I`ve been accused of being too pro-BB many times but I call them out when they screw up too. GCU is my idea that BB cherrypicked but they did it completely wrong. I told them to add tiers and increase value thru each one. My way allows the to generate huge profits(not just revenue) with a free, $15, $40-$50 & $100 sub fees. I could easily get the majority of CAG`s to be willing to pay $100/yr for GCU but not for what BB is offering now.

I never said "I cheated the system to get elite plus" in fact I said BB has made huge profts on the fees from the visa`s cards. If BB consistantly can get $6 per $200 people spend at places like the grocery store then giving elite plus as a benefit is a steal for them. The only real way to way take advantage of elite plus is to SPEND ALOT which is what they want.

Since we agree on the $120 I`ll end on this, the success or failure of the current GCU will solely depend on how many $120 subs they get bottom line. And if they continue to decrease the benefits of shopping there along with increasing customer costs it will be harder to defend them.

I`m ok with paying more but I don`t wanna pay more to get less than I was getting for cheaper/free.
so wait. GCU was your idea and they stole it? Sounds like a law suit.

so wait. GCU was your idea and they stole it? Sounds like a law suit.
Yep, about 2 yrs ago I gave them the idea to increase the cost of GCU in a tiered structure. I also stated they could charge up to $100 per yr if they offered a "discount on new items". I never thought they`d offer 20% off which is why I only asked for 10% especially with the profit margins on games being so small. The copycat deals from GS like get a game for $10 when trading in 2 select titles popped up not long after a mod presented the GS link I pm`d him.

Dude I ain`t gotta lie about nothing my record speaks for itself of the 7 ideas that are "under review" 5 are mine & 1 is an idea that BB completed when I suggested it previously. Of the 19 "complete ideas" 3 are mine. So outta of possible 26 ideas that have advanced very far in BB`s ecosystem I`m responsible for bringing 9 of them to their attention(with the support of the CAG community). 9/26 that`s well over 30%.

I have the same name on the BB forums and you can`t edit anything there. Everything is also dated there so you could easily check to see if I posted some of the primary perks of the current GCU long BEFORE it went into effect.
http://www.forums.bestbuy.com/t5/Best-Buy-IdeaX/Adding-a-quot-Silver-quot-tier-to-the-Gamers-Club/idi-p/492283

I just think you give yourself more credit then you deserve. If came up with so many great ideas they are using why not get a job with them or get paid for it.

Its mostly just coincidence.

I tell Best Buy they should put certain games on sale. Sooner or later, they take my advice and put them on sale. You guys can thank me now because if it wasn't for me, they'd still be at $59.99.

I just think you give yourself more credit then you deserve. If came up with so many great ideas they are using why not get a job with them or get paid for it.
Its mostly just coincidence.
Although, I made the post some of the ideas came directly from CAGers complaints and/or suggestions. I just listened to what the BB reps told me to do and made the ideax threads. It was made clear to me that one-sided ideas won`t get far so there had to be a solid foundation where they can profit from the change(s).

In order to work for them in that way I was informed(publically & privately) I need to move to MN. I live in Philly PA where all my family/friends are so it`s not that simple. It`s not like they were offering a position that would be six figures so for me to make that move to only make the same amount of money or less would be foolish in this economy.

FYI I have an open dialogue with numerous BB reps on multiple levels of the company, they say things & speak on things behind the scenes that don`t make it into public forums(per their request).

It`s not a coincidence when their reps contact me saying "thanks for bringing this issue to our attention", or I get contacted from BB reps that I`ve never interacted with before who has detailed follow-up ?`s not just about the idea but also about CAG, I also get "mystery" $5-$10 rz certs emails(no the ones that get posted on CAG around the holidays) along with an invitation to join a secondary idea site that "rewards" you ie. you get paid(in rz of course).

I'm sorry, are the new terms in writing anywhere or is it all conjecture still?

The problem isn't fixed by limiting 1 copy. The problem would be fixed by implementing a system that would deny a trade if a person has already traded in 3 copies of that game. Done. Right there. You've stopped massive flippers, no one has to get banned at all, and meanwhile you're not expecting customers to remember if they traded in this game once before or if they've bought 10 games so they can still trade in 3 more this year, or any of that crap.  Just make it so the system looks at their account and says, "Hey, you can't trade that game in because you've already traded in to many copies."  Just like Amazon does.

I won't get banned for trading in to many copies of the same game to Amazon because Amazon prevents me from trading over the limit. How hard is that to implement in reality?

And yes, without a single flip I'd eventually run into a problem with the 1 title per year issue. Or the volume issue. Just because I only purchased 30 games last year doesn't mean I didn't purchase 60 the year before that I now have to send to a competitor because you put a really weird limit on your trades. 

Hey guys quick question, can I use RZ certs on Visa Gift Cards? I have a $5 expiring soon and was going to go trade in some stuff and get a visa gift card today anyway.

Hey guys quick question, can I use RZ certs on Visa Gift Cards? I have a $5 expiring soon and was going to go trade in some stuff and get a visa gift card today anyway.
Yes. Theres an activation fee for those though. Amazon gift cards doesn't if you're interested in that.

Nah, I need the $$$ I am still profiting even after the fee, which is why I want to use my cert to essentially make the fee .95 cents. Thanks though!
You're not allowed to. Previous poster was misinformed. No go on Visa Gift cards, as the system won't allow for it, but does work on Amazon Gift Cards/Kindle Cards.

Although, I made the post some of the ideas came directly from CAGers complaints and/or suggestions. I just listened to what the BB reps told me to do and made the ideax threads. It was made clear to me that one-sided ideas won`t get far so there had to be a solid foundation where they can profit from the change(s).
In order to work for them in that way I was informed(publically & privately) I need to move to MN. I live in Philly PA where all my family/friends are so it`s not that simple. It`s not like they were offering a position that would be six figures so for me to make that move to only make the same amount of money or less would be foolish in this economy.
FYI I have an open dialogue with numerous BB reps on multiple levels of the company, they say things & speak on things behind the scenes that don`t make it into public forums(per their request).
It`s not a coincidence when their reps contact me saying "thanks for bringing this issue to our attention", or I get contacted from BB reps that I`ve never interacted with before who has detailed follow-up ?`s not just about the idea but also about CAG, I also get "mystery" $5-$10 rz certs emails(no the ones that get posted on CAG around the holidays) along with an invitation to join a secondary idea site that "rewards" you ie. you get paid(in rz of course).
Enuf! lol next time you have dinner with the CEO of Best Buy just tell him to reward you with an Elite Plus account that doesn't expire so you don't have to pay all those silly Visa fees

Nah, I need the $$$ I am still profiting even after the fee, which is why I want to use my cert to essentially make the fee .95 cents. Thanks though!
not to sound condescending, but it states right in the rewardzone policy:

Non-qualifying redemptions
You may redeem reward certificates when the purchase value (excluding tax) exceeds the reward certificate amount. The following items are considered non-qualifying redemptions for which reward certificates may not be redeemed: purchases/rentals at rent-to-own locations inside Best Buy stores, prior purchases, purchase of Best Buy or Magnolia gift cards, Visa or MasterCard prepaid access cards,

https://my.bestbuy.com/rules

So I traded in two copies of Legends of War Patton for PS3 and one for 360 this past Sunday before I knew of the new 1-game limit. I suppose I'm going to get banned now? The new limit seems way too unrealistic. The 3-game limit that they had before seemed much more fair, especially to people who buy, trade-in, and re-buy the game later on.

I looked back through posts and didn't see any confirmed dates of when they are going to strictly enforce the policy. It's good thing I haven't used my $30 renewal coupon yet. I might end up using it on a new account if I do get banned.

You're not allowed to. Previous poster was misinformed. No go on Visa Gift cards, as the system won't allow for it, but does work on Amazon Gift Cards/Kindle Cards.
Oops this is correct. I thought it was the gift cards from trade ins. You can use gift cards for Visas not certs but certs can be used for Amazon cards.

bread's done
Back