Best Buy Trade-in Thread 2.0: Please see new thread.

BudzMcGee

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
At 276 pages and countless request for a new OP, it was time to retire the first Best Buy Trade-in Thread and start fresh. Thanks bh47 for your work in the previous thread (and providing the framework for this one)!

All Promotions are available in-store only, and they DO NOT stack!
Only the 10% Bonus from Gamers Club Unlocked will stack with these offers.
Please read FAQ below before asking questions!

Current Promos:
- 50% Bonus when you trade in ANY game.
Get a 50% trade in bonus when you trade in ANY game. Offer valid 01/01/12 - 01/07/12

- Trade 3, get 30% More.
Trade in 3 games or more and get 30% extra trade-in credit. Offer valid 01/01/12 -03/03/12

- 30% Bonus with any Pre-order.
Get a 30% extra trade-in credit when you pre-order any game. Offer valid 01/01/12 -03/03/12

Link: http://www.bestbuytradein.com/bb/Quo...VideoGames.cfm (click on "Show Promotions available in stores only" on top right)\

Upcoming/Rumored Promotions:
All promos that have yet to appear on Best Buy's site (or in an upcoming ad) are listed here:
None at the moment

Previous Promotions:
Promos that have expired:
- 50% Bonus with specific Pre-order from list.
Get a 50% extra trade-in credit when you pre-order any game from the following list: Halo 4, Mass Effect 3, Bioshock Infinite, Grand Theft Auto 5, MLB 12 The Show, Soul Calibur V, Final Fantasy XIII-2, Twisted Metal, Max Payne 3, Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City and Diablo 3. Offer valid 12/25/11 - 12/31/11

- Trade 2, get 25% More.
Trade in 2 games or more and get 25% extra trade-in credit. Offer valid 11/27/11 - 12/31/11

- 30% Bonus with any Pre-order.
Get a 30% extra trade-in credit when you pre-order any game. Offer valid 11/27/11 - 12/31/11
- 40% Bonus with purchase of any game $39.99 or above.
Get a 40% extra trade-in credit when you purchase any game $39.99 or above. Offer valid 11/27/11 - 12/10/11

- 50% Bonus with purchase of any game $39.99 or above.
Get a 50% extra trade-in credit when you purchase any game $39.99 or above. Offer valid 11/27/11 - 12/03/11

- Trade 3, get 30% More.
Trade in 3 games or more and get 25% extra trade-in credit. Offer valid 10/30/11 - 11/26/11

- 40% Bonus with any Pre-order.
Get a 40% extra trade-in credit when you pre-order any game. Offer valid 10/5/11 - 11/26/11

- 40% Bonus with Saints Row 3 Pre-order/Purchase.
Get 40% extra trade-in Credit when you pre-order/purchase Saints Row 3. Offer valid 11/13/11 - 11/19/11

- 40% Bonus with Assassin's Creed Revelations Pre-order/Purchase.
Get 40% extra trade-in Credit when you pre-order/purchase Assassin's Creed Revelations. Offer valid 11/13/11 - 11/19/11

- 50% Bonus with Modern Warfare 3 Pre-order/Purchase.
Get 50% extra trade-in Credit when you pre-order/Purchase Modern Warfare 3. Offer valid 10/10/11 - 11/12/11 (Assuming this means a bonus for purchasing the game after it is released this Tuesday)

- 50% Bonus with Saints Row 3 Pre-order.
Get 50% extra trade-in Credit when you pre-order Saints Row 3. Offer valid 11/6/11 - 11/12/11

- 50% Bonus with Assassin's Creed Revelations Pre-order.
Get 50% extra trade-in Credit when you pre-order Assassin's Creed Revelations. Offer valid 11/6/11 - 11/12/11

- 40% Bonus with The Elder Scrolls V: Pre-order/Purchase.
Get 50% extra trade-in Credit when you pre-order/purchase The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim. Offer valid 11/6/11 - 11/12/11

- 50% Bonus with Max Payne 3 Pre-order.
Get 50% extra trade-in Credit when you pre-order Max Payne 3. Offer valid 11/6/11 - 11/12/11 - This promo seems a little odd and there is a chance it is an error on the site since the game is so far from release.

- 50% Bonus with Saints Row 3 Pre-order.
Get 50% extra trade-in Credit when you pre-order Saints Row 3. Offer valid 10/23/11 - 10/29/11

- 50% Bonus with Skyrim Pre-order.
Get 50% extra trade-in Credit when you pre-order The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim. Offer valid 10/23/11 - 11/05/11

- 40% Bonus with Uncharted 3 Pre-order/Purchase.
Get 40% extra trade-in Credit when you pre-order/purchase Uncharted 3. Offer valid 10/30/11 - 11/05/11

- 40% Bonus with Battlefield 3 Purchase.
Get 40% extra trade-in Credit when you purchase Battlefield 3. Offer valid 10/23/11 - 10/29/11

- Trade 2, get 25% More.

Trade in 2 games or more and get 25% extra trade-in credit. Offer valid 10/2/11 - 10/29/11

- 50% Bonus with Battlefield 3 Pre-order.
Get 50% extra trade-in Credit when you pre-order Battlefield 3. Offer valid 10/9/11 - 10/22/11

- 40% Bonus with purchase of Batman: Arkham City.
Get 40% extra trade-in Credit when you pre-order Batman: Arkham City. Offer valid 10/16/11 - 10/22/11

- 50% Bonus with Batman: Arkham City Pre-order.
Get 50% extra trade-in Credit when you pre-order Batman: Arkham City. Offer valid 10/9/11 - 10/15/11

- 30% Bonus with Rage or NBA 2K12 Pre-order/Purchase.
Get a 30% extra trade-in Credit when you pre-order/purchase Rage or NBA 2K12. Offer valid 10/2/11 - 10/08/11

- Trade 4 get an extra $20 Trade-in Credit.
Get $20 trade-in Credit when you trade 4 or more games (Current gen games only (no PS2) and $5 minimum for each game). Offer valid 10/2/11 - 10/08/11 **** This promo was cancelled early due to technical issues. There have been issues with this promo not working on some stores' systems or simply not even being available, the issue seems to be related to disc-only games (or any game that is typed rather than scanned) so plan accordingly. The $20 extra is once per trade-in, meaning 4 games or 123 games it will only be $20 extra per transaction. So if you want to trade in 8 games, do it in two separate transactions. ****

- 50% Bonus with Rage or NBA 2K12 Pre-order.
Offer was valid from 9/25 to 10/01/2011.

- 40% Bonus with Gears of War 3 Purchase.
Get a 40% extra trade-in credit when you pre-order/purchase Gears of War 3. Offer expired 10/01/2011

- Trade 3, Get 30% More.
Trade in 3 games or more and get 30% extra trade-in credit. Offer expired 10/01/2011

- 40% Bonus with any Pre-order.
Get a 40% extra trade-in credit when you pre-order any game. Offer expired 10/01/2011

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BEST BUY'S VIDEO GAMES TRADE-IN PAGE

Check most up-to-date TIV using BB's Video Games Value Estimator.

Check which BB stores do trade-ins here.
In-store trades are now done at the Trade-In Counter at the Gaming Dept.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

F.A.Q. Best Buy has a short FAQ here.

How does the get **% with pre-order bonus work?
The percentage is based on the final total of your entire trade in, so if the trade in is $100 and there is a 50% bonus your final gift card value will be $150. After trading in your games, the employee SHOULD then sell you the pre-order for $5.

How much is a pre-order at Best Buy?
Pre-ordering at Best Buy cost $5, in fact, you aren't supposed to pay any more than that (and most employees won't let you if you ask). Yes, you can use the gift card you just received from your trade-in to purchase the pre-order.

Can I cancel a pre-order and keep the bonus?
Yes, the trade-in and the pre-order are completely separate transactions. Nothing will prevent you from returning to the Best Buy canceling the pre-order and receiving a refund. Some users have claimed that they were flagged for doing this multiple times though and were denied, so be aware of how many pre-orders you are cancelling. Also keep in mind the obvious facts that this is not how the program is intended to work and over abuse will negatively affect the program long-term. Lastly, returns are tracks on a personal level by a third party. (Read: try not to cancel a bunch of pre-orders)

Do I have to cancel the pre-order at the same store where it was made?
No, this can be handled by any BBY. Don't be surprised if you get a customer service employee who says otherwise though.

Can I pre-order once and get the pre-order bonus on my next trade-in as well?
YMMV. Officially, the answer is no, but there is nothing that actually requires the employee to sell the pre-order in order to apply the bonus so if your blue shirt is in a friendly mood they may be willing. Doesn't hurt to get to know the employees at your store. That said, expect that you will have to pre-order another game and be surprised if you don't.

Can I combine a 3 games for **% and a pre-order for **% bonus?
No. Bonuses do not stack, and you must pick one or the other. The only bonus that stacks with other promotions is the 10% you receive if you are a Gamers Club Unlocked member.

How do I become a Gamers Club Unlocked member and get the 10% bonus?
Any video game section employee should be able to set you up with the GCU membership. It cost $15 and comes with a year subscription of @Gamer magazine. It will also get you a 10% bonus on trade ins and 10% off of used games (Make sure to point it out to the blue shirt doing your trade-in though as it is easy for them to skip, and they are still new to it). It can take 48 hours (or more) for GCU to show up on your Reward Zone membership.

Can I use my Best Buy gift card to purchase Amazon Kindle Gift Cards or Visa Gift Cards?
Yes, although some employees may not be aware of this and incorrectly refuse to do so. Visa Gift Cards have a $200 limit and a $6 activation fee. Amazon Gift Cards are available in $25, $50 and $100 depending on your store selection. IL does not sell Amazon Gift Cards. Yes, Kindle Gift Cards are good for anything on Amazon.

The value on the site doesn't match the store, why?
Sometimes the page may not update immediately. This is fairly rare though. The store's trade-in values are definitive though, so what they say is what you get. 99.99% of the time they will match up.

The value on the iPhone app is way off, why?
The app sucks for updating values (and some games simply don't show up), don't rely on it.

The game I want to trade isn't on the site, what gives?
While rare, there have been some games recently not showing up in the online estimator. You can always check in-store to see if the price is in their system and simply not online, but that is unlikely to be the case. When Best Buy doesn't have a game on file they can offer $1 as a generic SKU, but that's it. New releases appear to be added on Tuesday evenings. Many new releases are taking upwards of a week or more to be added to the site.

When do trade-in values update?
No one knows for sure, but major updates seem to come on Sunday and Tuesday nights (or at least have in the past). Sometimes an update will happen randomly, such as when GameStop has an advertised sale for a game well below Best Buy's trade in price.

What will be the TIV of Game X tomorrow/next week / next month/ etc
Nobody knows.

If I locked in a trade online, and the value drops, will I still get the locked in value when I mail it in?
Yes. You will get the locked in TIV as long as the item is received within 14 days of you locking it in (and the item is in the condition you described it as).

Can you lock in the price online then trade it in-store?
No.

Is there a limit to how many games I can trade in?
Officially, Best Buy only accepts 3 copies of a game, per system (i.e. you could trade in 3 copies of a game for Xbox, 3 copies for PS3 and 3 for Wii). This is for sure the online policy, but it varies in stores. Some people have reported being banned for trading in more than 3 copies of games, others have done so frequently without issue. Obviously it is YMMV, but do so at your own risk.

Can I trade game disc only, or do I need the case and manuals, too?
Best Buy accepts disc only games (for the same value as complete games). The trade in will take longer though as the employee will have to look up the games individually.

Can I trade in games that say "Not for Resale" on the back?
Yes, since the only thing that matters is the disc. Some employees will fight this though, and in that case, just trade the game in as disc-only.

Does Best Buy accept game hardware?
Currently Best Buy only accepts various versions of the Nintendo DS in store, but word is that will change soon.

Does the **% bonuses apply to game hardware?
No, games only.

When I do a in-store trade, I am asked: to be fingerprinted, to have my photo taken, how much I weigh, etc. What's the deal?
Pawn shop laws regulating trade-ins and resale of used goods varies from state to state or city to city. It is not Best Buy's rule, and varies from store to store depending on where you live. At a minimum you'll likely need a state ID.

I went to a store to do a trade-in and they asked for a Best Buy receipt. WTF?
Some stores are required to have receipts to accept trade-ins, again this is due to local Pawn shop laws and could vary from city to city. You can always check if the store(s) near you require a receipt on Best Buy's trade-in site.

Can I trade sealed games?
Yes. You must present your receipt for the sealed games you are trading in. It is ok if the purchase was made from another store. You do run the risk of drawing extra attention to yourself as trading in sealed products is often a sign of theft. Do not be surprised if this is questioned by an employee, or you are asked to leave, open the items and return.

Last edited by a moderator:
ok its cool ..... my 2 cents only .....but i figure its mostly due to like the dude i was talkin about earlier .... trading in lots of multiples that are sealed, like we have seen talked about on here already alot anyways...... it just throws a redflag that isnt needed

and/or ..... locking in 20 copies of x,y,& z game on the site cause they dont wanna loose value if the tiv drops over night ..... but doing that is a direct link and a extremely easy way for them to figure out drops without having to do anyhting .... cause ya see alot of people saying that they locked in alot of certain games so it isnt a gamble and also that way they can spend more time finding more of it before they have to send them in .... so all they are doing is locking in mass quantities of the game and throwing huge redflags and making them take notice quicker of what tiv's they need to nerf

[quote name='bruticus']it didnt help that the bonehead actually grabbed his amazon kindle cards on the way through the store and was basically showing his hand as to what he was trading in for also.

Scenarios like that and locking in 5 billion trades on the site are more than likely what they (whoever figures values and when they drop) figure in more than anything.[/QUOTE]
That was a truly stupid move on his part on top of trying to trade in sealed games.

As for locking in trades on the site, I had a feeling that corporate might've been using those as an indicator as to when to drop values. They probably count the locked in copies as copies they're expecting to receive and once a certain plateau is reached then that triggers a value drop.

I should do an experiment on the site to see if locking ina bunch of a title with a tiv higher than the $1 minimum(random older one) will precipitate a drop or not. If so, then we have our answer.

[quote name='bruticus']Is that comment pointed towards me for where I posted something about where I work at BB? (just asking not being a tryin to be an ass) I posted something simple about BB that included i worked there and it got deleted ..... I really didnt see anything wrong with my post.

Maybe thats why all of a sudden people are posting about BB trolls in the thread and sayin BB employee monitoring the thread and thats why tiv's dropped ..... I been on CAG for about 5 years and have now worked at BB for just a year (in PC dept.) .... If any of that stuff is directed at me then its nuts to think a single employee from a group of 1200 stores could make a change in tiv or that a single emp. could have input directly into corporate matters or financial strategy.

If anything BB looks at scenarios like one I helped gaming dept. on once to help a guy trade in .. are what gets noticed and will hurt trades in the future.....

I overheard someone saying a guy had stolen a bunch of games and was trying to trade them in @ gaming cause out of about 20 games 3/4 of them were still sealed, and he had a crazy lame excuse as to why they were multiples of each title sealed instead of just telling the truth ..... went over and looked at the titles and let the gaming dept know he didnt steal them and had just got them on a good sale elsewhere and was going to trade them in for a better value here..... it didnt help that the bonehead actually grabbed his amazon kindle cards on the way through the store and was basically showing his hand as to what he was trading in for also.

Scenarios like that and locking in 5 billion trades on the site are more than likely what they (whoever figures values and when they drop) figure in more than anything.[/QUOTE]

Any helpful input from an employee is appreciated. With that said please look up his trade in license and ban the fool.

If you can't tell from brut's story why flips should not be posted in public, then it's a lost cause. I mean, that guy clearly was not capable of figuring out the flips on his own and instead fumbled around and created a problem for everyone involved. The restriction should just be to keep it out of the eyes of "lurkers" that would behave like the guy in brut's story.

[quote name='DerClaw']If you can't tell from brut's story why flips should not be posted in public, then it's a lost cause. I mean, that guy clearly was not capable of figuring out the flips on his own and instead fumbled around and created a problem for everyone involved. The restriction should just be to keep it out of the eyes of "lurkers" that would behave like the guy in brut's story.[/QUOTE]

Could have been a regular. But seriously, I'm in favor of banning that CAG members drivers license so he can't trade in any BB store again. He can watch all other promo deals pass him by while he sits on his $100.

[quote name='DerClaw']If you can't tell from brut's story why flips should not be posted in public, then it's a lost cause. I mean, that guy clearly was not capable of figuring out the flips on his own and instead fumbled around and created a problem for everyone involved. The restriction should just be to keep it out of the eyes of "lurkers" that would behave like the guy in brut's story.[/QUOTE]

Oh come on. That's ridiculous. It could have been anyone: a lurker, a regular, a secret society flipper, some random dude not even on CAG. To say for certain that posting flips in this thread results in that guy flipping multiple sealed copies to Best Buy is a stretch of logic to put it mildly.

The guy in brut's story is a dumb asshole. He was not created by nor will he be curbed by any change in people not posting their flips.

If you want to share a flip, share it. If not, then don't. But don't tell other people not to share the flips they find because you're worried about your own little flips.

Honestly prolly was a good chance he was a regular even and not just a lurker cause reading alot through the site for a long time now you see that same type thing alot posted, people stating they spent thier grocery money for the week to turn $100 into $150-200 for kindle cards .... mass flips is just nuts in my opinion... it'll just kill future deals and basically hand any retailer the knowledge they need to adjust future values and deals.

I will proly get tied to a stake and stoned for saying this .....but I really think it would be best for everyone if BB would catch on and stop the ability to use BB GC for the purchase of kindle cards .... since that has become widely known by everyone, that was the point when you seen more people just using flipping to help thier gaming habits as always to help afford to play more games they like and such to instead trying to turn mad flips in mass over to amazon money cause they see it as a way to buy everything and anything they could ever want .... so essentially making it as a way to live from trading ....thats why we now have a ton of people doing the idiot things like we have been talking about.

nothing wrong with being savy and smart .... but its what i think has helped this problem along .... now its bringing people who dont care about gaming and trying to basically get stupid rich as quickly as possible cause they dont care what happens later ....just ride the money train as long as you can till it derails on everyone else and leave them with the effects.

I think the should limit the credit you get from trading in games to being used on games. Being able to use it on a tv or whatever encourages the wrong kind of people to trade in games and try to flip. Limiting it to being used on video games I think helps Best Buy keep the TIVs higher than GS while also discouraging a lot of the morons out there from trading in. They are the ones in my opinion who start to ruin things for everyone else. To me the best way to handle this would be to make a thread where only people who have been invited or at least posted in this thread can read. That would help keep shit off slickdeals, which lets face it the assholes on there ruin lots of things, and help to keep the lurkers out. Those two groups to me are the ones who are really killing the trades. They are the same groups who killed the Amazon trade in program as well. Most of us who have been doing this for awhile know what we are doing, when to back off, etc. These people don't, they see some dollar signs and run in to take all they can. They don't seem to realize the opportunities will last a lot longer if they practice some kind of restraint. While a private flip club is kind of ridiculous so apparently is an open forum. Something in the middle I think would be ideal. I know just today I found a couple flips but after this shit there is no way I will be posting them.

Has anyone traded in an even numbered group of more than 2 games at a time and received the 25% bonus on all of the games (not just the first pair)?

Edit I know this has been brought up before but (unless I missed it) the op doesn't include the answer.

[quote name='bruticus']Honestly prolly was a good chance he was a regular even and not just a lurker cause reading alot through the site for a long time now you see that same type thing alot posted, people stating they spent thier grocery money for the week to turn $100 into $150-200 for kindle cards .... mass flips is just nuts in my opinion... it'll just kill future deals and basically hand any retailer the knowledge they need to adjust future values and deals.

I will proly get tied to a stake and stoned for saying this .....but I really think it would be best for everyone if BB would catch on and stop the ability to use BB GC for the purchase of kindle cards .... since that has become widely known by everyone, that was the point when you seen more people just using flipping to help thier gaming habits as always to help afford to play more games they like and such to instead trying to turn mad flips in mass over to amazon money cause they see it as a way to buy everything and anything they could ever want .... so essentially making it as a way to live from trading ....thats why we now have a ton of people doing the idiot things like we have been talking about.

nothing wrong with being savy and smart .... but its what i think has helped this problem along .... now its bringing people who dont care about gaming and trying to basically get stupid rich as quickly as possible cause they dont care what happens later ....just ride the money train as long as you can till it derails on everyone else and leave them with the effects.[/QUOTE]

I fail to understand why some of you assume this guy was a CAG. Most of the GF flip deals were posted on slickdeals. The same thing holds true for the TRU sale. Furthermore, the bestbuy app gives you the tradein values by simply scanning the product. Anyone can do it.

Also, I can't imagine the majority of us thought this was going to last forever. I'm glad I was able to take advantage of it while it lasted.

Ok guys, we have already received a warning from the moderator and we are again discussing the same old lurkers v hoarders v noobs v secret society flippers topic. All I want is for this thread to not be closed. As confoosious said, if you want to post here then post else don't post.

[quote name='bgame2']Has anyone traded in an even numbered group of more than 2 games at a time and received the 25% bonus on all of the games (not just the first pair)?

Edit I know this has been brought up before but (unless I missed it) the op doesn't include the answer.[/QUOTE]

I traded in >3 in the 3 for 30% and got 30% bump on all the games.

It was inevitable. Flipping is kind of not what they were intending with the Trade in Program. It's obviously intended for a gamer to be able to trade in some games they don't play anymore into a bit of money towards a new one, and give a little more to those that bought a pre-order or joined their club. Their values were high because they needed to build an inventory. If they wanted to transfer over Gamestop inventory, they would send an employee over there to buy it.

I'm not knocking those that take advantage of it in a reasonable manner, just the abusers that take it to excess, bringing in massive hauls of duplicates and sealed games as mentioned above and then double down on the credit transfer with the Amazon cards. In all honesty, they should probably make it 1 per title per customer per year instead of 3, very few non-flippers would have multiple copies of the same game to trade in.

It's a shame that some people spoil a good deal for others by taking it to the 100th degree. It is short sighted and selfish. I'm all for getting good value for your money, but when you have to set up some elaborate transfer involving three stores to get a few dollars, then jack up the quantities to make it worthwhile it is time to just stop. I hope that guy in brut's post enjoys his Amazon credit, because he helped ruin one of the few good trade-in spots. Remember that when you take in a recent game you are done with and they offer you a dollar for it.

[quote name='confoosious']I traded in >3 in the 3 for 30% and got 30% bump on all the games.[/QUOTE]

I just realized that the language reads "2 or more". I thought it was just 2 for an extra 25%. My mistake.

Why keep bumping a trade-in value thread with nonsense other than trade-in values? I'm not saying there can't and shouldn't be discussion, but all this speculation about who's fault this or that is inevitably results in flaming.

[quote name='bgame2']I just realized that the language reads "2 or more". I thought it was just 2 for an extra 25%. My mistake.[/QUOTE]

I thought you people were supposed to read things carefully? :lol:

Sorry if this is asked all the time and I have just missed it, but I didn't see it in the OP so I thought I would ask. Does anyone know about how long it takes to get paid from a mail-in trade? I sent in an old cell phone and it got approved for payment yesterday, and says a gift card will be mailed within 7 days. I was hoping to use the funds towards Battlefield 3 or Captain America Blu next week, so I was wondering if anyone has experience with this and if it usually is slower or faster than the 7 days they said. Thanks!

[quote name='mightymek']Sorry if this is asked all the time and I have just missed it, but I didn't see it in the OP so I thought I would ask. Does anyone know about how long it takes to get paid from a mail-in trade? I sent in an old cell phone and it got approved for payment yesterday, and says a gift card will be mailed within 7 days. I was hoping to use the funds towards Battlefield 3 or Captain America Blu next week, so I was wondering if anyone has experience with this and if it usually is slower or faster than the 7 days they said. Thanks![/QUOTE]

Usually much longer than 7 days. 2-3 weeks is how long they take on average.

Edit: That's if you're lucky.

They may have gotten faster with the trades through the mail, since nobody is mailing in games anymore with the in store promotions, but arsenal is correct. I'd expect to get the check/gc something like 3-4 weeks from when you put the phone in the mail.

[quote name='arsenal_fan']Usually much longer than 7 days. 2-3 weeks is how long they take on average.

Edit: That's if you're lucky.[/QUOTE]

Thanks. I guess I'll be using cash for Battlefield and Capt America. I brought the phone to trade in the store to get the money faster, but they said it had to be bought at the store to trade into the store. I told them the website says that store accepts phones, electronics, etc. purchased anywhere and they said I was wrong. But I guess their own website is wrong :roll:

[quote name='mightymek']Thanks. I guess I'll be using cash for Battlefield and Capt America. I brought the phone to trade in the store to get the money faster, but they said it had to be bought at the store to trade into the store. I told them the website says that store accepts phones, electronics, etc. purchased anywhere and they said I was wrong. But I guess their own website is wrong :roll:[/QUOTE]

I think it depends on where the store is located. I was reading recently that some states/counties have laws concerning this to limit stolen goods being fenced in Pawn Shops. Store policies have to obey local law regardless of company policy.

[quote name='bruticus']Scenarios like that and locking in 5 billion trades on the site are more than likely what they (whoever figures values and when they drop) figure in more than anything.[/QUOTE]
I figure this probably plays a major part. So if someone plans to trade in 3 but also locks 3 in online that's 6 copies right there and I'm sure quite a few people do this.

Also, unspecified Uncharted 3 trade-in promo 10/30-11/5 but my guess is it will be extra 40% with purchase of Uncharted 3.

When exactly do they cut-off instore pre-orders anyway? Sometimes i see them going till the day before, and other times they stopped during the weekend before.

Guys, why do you think Best Buy's trade-in program will always offer low values now? This is how flipping works. Games drop in cost, people flip those games, then the trade-in values drop. That's how the cycle always goes. We're just at the end of this cycle, and waiting for the next one to start up.

[quote name='chuckywang']Guys, why do you think Best Buy's trade-in program will always offer low values now? This is how flipping works. Games drop in cost, people flip those games, then the trade-in values drop. That's how the cycle always goes. We're just at the end of this cycle, and waiting for the next one to start up.[/QUOTE]

Sure, for a few of the games that makes sense. But I think people are reacting in part to the lower top-end values. It would have been nice to play Batman and trade it in 1 1/2 weeks later for $48 like I was able to do for Rage (base of $30 + 60%). It looks like those days are over - so you can't keep rolling one preorder into another like that. It isn't a huge drop ($30->$25, but a loss of $8 after promos) but it is almost enough to make me not bother with the last 3 of my 5 preorders for the 5/$100 deal.

Who knows, maybe those prices will come back, but there were a lot more drops across the board than just the handful of titles that were overexploited.

[quote name='io']Sure, for a few of the games that makes sense. But I think people are reacting in part to the lower top-end values. It would have been nice to play Batman and trade it in 1 1/2 weeks later for $48 like I was able to do for Rage (base of $30 + 60%). It looks like those days are over - so you can't keep rolling one preorder into another like that. It isn't a huge drop ($30->$25, but a loss of $8 after promos) but it is almost enough to make me not bother with the last 3 of my 5 preorders for the 5/$100 deal.

Who knows, maybe those prices will come back, but there were a lot more drops across the board than just the handful of titles that were overexploited.[/QUOTE]

nowdays games come with online passes so thats 5-10 bucks right there

Here's a mini flip from Target (if you have unused target gift cards or whatever). Target is selling Guitar Hero: Warriors of Rock for 9.99. Trades in at Best Buy for $8 base. Not much but better than nothing.

We should find out about new drops in 40 min right? O gosh, I couldn't trade some of my games in today due to work, so praying that it didn't drop. It's only 2 titles. Don't want to mention it here just in case. :lol:

[quote name='DCpinoy']Here's a mini flip from Target (if you have unused target gift cards or whatever). Target is selling Guitar Hero: Warriors of Rock for 9.99. Trades in at Best Buy for $8 base. Not much but better than nothing.[/QUOTE]

just wanted to say the Pic of the bike in your avatar is pretty sick ^__^

[quote name='DudeImGodly']just wanted to say the Pic of the bike in your avatar is pretty sick ^__^[/QUOTE]

Haha thanks bro, a lot of time and money has been put into my bike.

[quote name='bjstucker']yea pretty mad at all the bases dropping ie. Red faction/portal 2/Shadow of the damned/ Duke Nukem[/QUOTE]

Include Top Spin 4 also.

Basically everything from GF October Sale, except no more heroes.

Funny thing too had I just put in to trade them like the night I placed my GF order I could have gotten so much more. kinda kicking myself oh well I guess I can add them all to my back log

[quote name='DudeImGodly']Include Top Spin 4 also.

Basically everything from GF October Sale, except no more heroes.[/QUOTE]

lol... There has to be somebody watching the the thread or something, it's just too much of a coincidence. I just got my games today too, they used to ship from a local GameFly depot but lately everything has been coming from PA.

Who's the mole?

EDIT: Could it possible be you guys are doing it to yourselves but locking in a trade in price on the BBY website?!?!?!

really wondering if i should trade in Dead Island for the bonus 50% towards BF3...I already have $5 down, so I'd essentially owe a little under $20 after the trade-in once tax and everything came into play.

Thing is...i bought Dead Island only last week...on Tuesday..using a $25 BB gc when the game was on sale for $49.99. I've gotten about 52% through on the campaign..but for some reason, the glitchiness of the game has dampened it to me a bit. It's hella fun, but I get the feeling I'll be able to grab it for a sweet deal again on BF sales..or even later...a sale that BF3 may not see for a bit seeing as it's popularity will be high.

Only games that have my eye right now are Dark Souls, Skyrim, BF3, and MW3..and Batman AC of course, but i currently own that am am enjoying it :D

rage not 30 down to 26 sucks. im gonna trade it in for mw3. 8 buck difference isnt so bad after you think about it. a rental for something i want to keep.

Dream Chronicles DS is $5 at Five-Below and trades for $5 base at BB.

For those that have one of these stores close to (or on the way to) BB, it might be worth it to take a pit-stop and pick up 3 copies to add to your trade (assuming you are unlocked and doing 50% pre-order bonus). $16.05 for 3 copies here in NJ = $24 credit with the 50+10% bonus at BB so adds an extra $7.95 to the trade.

Don't know if anyone wants to bother but seemed worth it to me to get about $8 for a 5 minute stop so I figured I'd throw it out there. There are a ton of them at the 5-Below near me so I'm guessing it is a newer addition to their inventory and most of their stores will likely have stock.

[quote name='skiizim']lol... There has to be somebody watching the the thread or something, it's just too much of a coincidence. I just got my games today too, they used to ship from a local GameFly depot but lately everything has been coming from PA.

Who's the mole?[/QUOTE]

Another possibility is that they're simply aware of the competition. I work in IT and before moving to D.C. I used to work for a private label firm which had offices in North Carolina and would manufacture products for one of the biggest supermarkets chains in the state. They would send employees from their private label division, notepad in hand, to scout the prices of their competitors (Walmart, target, food lion) on items like peanut butter and private label soda, and this was done twice a week. It's not crazy to think Best Buy may have people sitting in their corporate offices whose full time job is scouring the web for deals and price drops just to adjust their TIVs accordingly. And I bet the gamefly store is not only in this guy's firefox / google chrome bookmarks. I bet it's the first thing he loads every morning on his computer while he brews his morning Joe even before checking his facebook. I bet he even has deal alerts with the words "gamefly" and or "best buy" in them. (I know I would).

Here's an interesting point to look at for instance. Take the TIV for COD: Black ops. It's 18 bucks right now, which with a MW3 preorder bonus and 10% unlocked I turned into almost 29 bucks a couple of weeks ago. I did this because with MW3 coming a have little to no use for Black ops now, and along with a pile of games I traded that day which I hadn't touched in months, I got my MW3 hardened edition for next to nothing. Now think about this: I'm not the only one who thinks this way. I bet the amount of people that is getting rid of their black ops copies in order to trade them for a MW3 preorder is substantial. I would dare say the numbers might be even higher than the numbers of flippers who are trying to abuse the system with Tors R us sealed copies and what not. So how come the TIV for balck ops hasn't tanked? Simple. Because it's not on sale anywhere. The best buy people HAS TO have their eye fixed on gamefly sales and the likes by now, despite of which deal sites make mention of those sales. Now do I think they have people watching this forum as well? Of course they do. But I bet they get the info on which TIVs to tank even before anything about them is mentioned in here. You know, best buy corporate employees can google too.

[quote name='TheBigmac'] It's not crazy to think Best Buy may have people sitting in their corporate offices whose full time job is scouring the web for deals and price drops just to adjust their TIVs accordingly. And I bet the gamefly store is not only in this guy's firefox / google chrome bookmarks. I bet it's the first thing he loads every morning on his computer while he brews his morning Joe even before checking his facebook. I bet he even has deal alerts with the words "gamefly" and or "best buy" in them. (I know I would).
[/QUOTE]

Some corporate employees are not as smart as a big mac :D.
After your post corporate probably thought to themselves...."It would be a great idea to create a division whose full time job is to scour the web for deals." Who are we kidding....they just check cheapassgamers and save thousands of dollars!!!

[quote name='intoxicates']Some corporate employees are not as smart as a big mac :D.
After your post corporate probably thought to themselves...."It would be a great idea to create a division whose full time job is to scour the web for deals." Who are we kidding....they just check cheapassgamers and save thousands of dollars!!![/QUOTE]

:lol: You're probably right. Who needs a whole corporate division when you have Bozo McGreederson trading sealed copies and asking at the top of his longs afterwards: "Where can I find the kindle gift cards? I have some trade in cash to spend, and I don't want do it in your store suckers!". (Then under his breath he says) "I'm so smart!". Then he pays for the gift cards and when he's on his way out asks the geek squad guys: "Would you mind if I borrow your laptop for a sec? I'm just gonna post really quick on the CAG forum to let them know I just butt raped your gaming department for $500 with TRU sealed copies so they think I'm awesome."

[quote name='TheBigmac']Here's an interesting point to look at for instance. Take the TIV for COD: Black ops. It's 18 bucks right now, which with a MW3 preorder bonus and 10% unlocked I turned into almost 29 bucks a couple of weeks ago. I did this because with MW3 coming a have little to no use for Black ops now, and along with a pile of games I traded that day which I hadn't touched in months, I got my MW3 hardened edition for next to nothing. Now think about this: I'm not the only one who thinks this way. I bet the amount of people that is getting rid of their black ops copies in order to trade them for a MW3 preorder is substantial. [/QUOTE]

I had the exact same thinking and traded my Black Ops on 9/25 for $23 base or $36.80 after promos (more than I paid for it at release).

[quote name='cheapfrag']I had the exact same thinking and traded my Black Ops on 9/25 for $23 base or $36.80 after promos (more than I paid for it at release).[/QUOTE]

Then you were smarter than I was. You must have done it a couple of weeks earlier than I did and that netted you a nice extra chunk of credit. Can't wait for MW3. Just hope some the hoarders who work at BBY let me snag at least one t-shirt before taking them all for themselves on the midnight release. There are some really cool employees at my local store. But there is this one D-bag who I overheard telling some other guy he was getting like 4 t-shirts for his friends on Midnight release date after I asked if they were gonna have any swag for that night. I even said "Why not give the t-shirts to the people who come to pick up the preorders?". And he just bursted lauging saying. "that's not our call, to make. The outstanding order is first come first served. And you can bet I'll be here first". I've come to the point to write down the dates and times I run into that fuckwad just to avoid running into him anymore. I traded a pile of games the other day and just when I was about to receive my gift card, he swarmed in at the last second and asked the blue shirt who was taking care of me: "Did you check the games for scratches?" And the guy said: "yes, they're good". And this power tripping asshole was like: "Let's check them again just in case". And he checked the whole pile one by one! :twoguns:

Too bad for him I really take care of my games. I really hate his fuckin' guts.

bread's done
Back