Best Buy US Exclusive - 11 Disney Blu-ray SteelBook™ released on December 8th

iNCREDiPiNOY

CAGiversary!
Feedback
216 (100%)
Good news everyone, Best Buy US is having 11 Disney SteelBooks™ just like Future Shop but all of them are releasing on Tuesday, December 8, 2009 not just 1 day per 12 weeks. Sale price will be $29.99. Regular price will be $34.99.

1. Bug's Life
  2. Cars
  3. Monsters Inc.
  4. Nightmare Before Christmas
  5. Pinocchio
  6. Ratatouille
  7. Sleeping Beauty
  8. Wall*E
  9. Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl
  10. Pirates of the Caribbean: The Dead Man's Chest
  11. Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End

http://img412.imageshack.us/img412/7911/whmhr8.jpg

http://img101.imageshack.us/img101/7290/29w5owx.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
got my mom to pick me up Monsters Inc. and Cars since I am at school ;) And she might have also got another for me for christmas! From what I could tell from talking to her, the whole display was still stocked when she went at 5pm

Wish I had the money to buy them all right now =/ I just picked up the ones I don't have on BR already - Nightmare, Bug's Life, and Ratatouille.

So what's everyone favorite disney SteelBook? I can't get over how awesome the Bug's Life one is!!

Thanks everyone for the updates. Picked up one of everything but the Pirates ones.

Came back and PMed to Walmart and got 90 bucks back. Would have been 115 but the GC was deducted.

When I came back in the afternoon everything was gone but the pirates stuff and a a couple of Nightmare Before Christmas copies.

i don't think the secondary market for these will be as huge as in past steelbooks, these seem like they will be pretty common for a while.

How is every store getting 3-5 copies going to make these common?
On a side note how is everyone getting this price match to work? I would love to get $$$ back since I bought all 11 of them! I drove thru 8 inches of snow in my Trans Am to get these! Took me like over an hour to drive 10 minutes.

[quote name='bdg7884']How is every store getting 3-5 copies going to make these common?
On a side note how is everyone getting this price match to work? I would love to get $$$ back since I bought all 11 of them! I drove thru 8 inches of snow in my Trans Am to get these! Took me like over an hour to drive 10 minutes.[/QUOTE]

I haven't done it, but I plan on doing a print out of my cart from Wal-Mart which shows each price.

Debating on if I want to try to PM WM.com prices. When I went in to pick them up I was going to pay cash but then I applied for the BB CC and got it and put them all on there. So not really sure if PM'ing would be worth it. Any thoughts about what I should do maybe.

[quote name='Collectorguy00']fuck. I don't think I'm going to have any luck getting them to PM the website as my BB is pretty stict on the rules. If you don't mind, how exactly did you word it when you went to PM?[/QUOTE]

[quote name='redshadow']"hey, can you price match this?" *show them walmart.com on iPhone*[/QUOTE]

[quote name='neoz']Debating on if I want to try to PM WM.com prices. When I went in to pick them up I was going to pay cash but then I applied for the BB CC and got it and put them all on there. So not really sure if PM'ing would be worth it. Any thoughts about what I should do maybe.[/QUOTE]

go back and pricematch, you'll get credit back to your BB CC

Picked up 8 of these, ended up getting them for $151 with a $10 giftcard back ... not bad, guess it could have been better with the $25 giftcard but I'm happy with what I got ... now I just need to figure out what I'm actually going to keep.

I stopped by BB tonight around 7pm to check out some of the RZ coupon deals, and was pretty shocked to see a full stock of all of the movies. I had decided not to buy any of these because of it being tough to justify the expense, but seeing them in front of me made it hard to resist; I ended up getting Nightmare before Christmas and A Bug's Life. (didn't have Bug's Life, and I love Nightmare and hated the original Bluray case)... the case was nearly full (I did get the last Nightmare but every other movie had 2-3 copies, at least) which makes me wonder if they didn't restock sometime during the day and were just limiting stock to make them seem artificially scarce? (this isn't an out of the way store and I know El Hoardo shops there based on past deals disappearing seconds after opening)

I'm tempted to go back tomorrow to try a PM.. I wonder if it's easier after the fact given that the movies aren't in front of the CSR and obviously something different?

So when you guys go to PM Walmart prices, you just bring the receipt and leave the steelbooks at home? One last question, are you price matching the $19.86 price for Pirates of the Caribbean at Walmart?

Where to begin....

Ok, so I initially was not going to double dip seeing as how they were each $30 and I had originally gotten them for around $10 a piece (referring to the 5 Pixars, and Pinocchio, Sleeping Beauty). But when I saw people here successfully pricematching Walmart.com at around $15-20 for each one, I decided to take the plunge.

The only thing I had to decide was to try to PM at time of purchase or come back with the receipt and retro PM. The latter seemed the easiest because there is no mention on the receipt that these are the Steelbook edition.

So I purchase the 5 pixars, Pinocchio, Sleeping Beauty, and decide on Nightmare Before Christmas (might as well add to the collection). Upon purchase I ask the guy if there is a computer where I can print the Walmart.com prices to PM. He says sure and points me to the direction.

So I head over and use one of their computers, add the movies to the WM cart and print. Except there's no paper. I wait for about 10 minutes for someone to add paper only to find out, the printer is not working after all. He suggests I use my phone to show CS the prices.

I use my phone to add the 8 blus to WM.com website while waiting in line. I finally get there and tell the cute CS rep what my intentions are. She first trys to do a return and rebuy since she says the $25 giftcard will mess up the transaction. She is unsuccessful and says she'll just do the PM on the original transaction.

She begins with WALL-E, glances at my phone, and decides to look up the deets herself on her computer. I try to convince her using my phone is just fine but she seems intent on doing this her way. I start sweating as she looks up the Best Buy info on my purchase and says asks me if the Walmart blu-ray is also a steelbook! I play dumb and say I don't know.

So she looks up the WALL-E info on WM.com Her focus then shifts to whether it's the 2disc or 3 disc edition, since WM has both at $20 and $25 respectedly. She asks me which one is the one I purchased by showing me the pics. I say I don't know and don't care which one she PMs. At this point I just want her to PM and not notice the steelbook difference. The line has also ballooned from about 2 people waiting to around 8 and she's the only one at CS. I kinda fake laughed and said that I didn't think it'd be this much trouble. She obviously doesn't care how long this is going to take and cares less how long this transaction takes.

So she forgets about the steelbook issue and says she just wants to continue. She asks me to quickly write down the rest of the prices on a piece of paper for her and I do. She then quickly compares the prices on my phone. She then begins the PM process and adjusts the prices as she asks me for each one as I've written them down. When she gets to NBC she cannot PM which means she needs to get her manager for approval! I start sweating again cuz I don't want him to put the kibosh on the whole thing. Luckily he doesn't care and quickly approves it.

So when everything is all completed I get $75 back in cash from the original $263 transaction. I'm confused because it should be at least $100. It turns out that I got charged for the $25 GC so it's like I paid for it, because it won't allow for PM and the promotional $25 GC. At this point I turn around and see about 15+ in line.

At this point I'm just happy that I saved $100!!!

One thing to note was that I did not get the 110% PM discount which would have been $10 or so but who am I to complain.

So the only thing left to do is resell my regular 5 pixar blu-rays, sleeping beauty, and pinocchio anybody?

Wow...hrmms...should I take the chance? Doesn't the manager have to enter the approval code anyways? Anyone in the Bay Area do any successful price matching anywhere or plan to?

[quote name='andruuuuuuuu']I price matched using my receipt. Kinda bummed bc I only picked up 5 and the pricematch made it so that I payed for the $25 giftcard. Oh well at least I got some money back.[/QUOTE]

Me too. I was at $149.26 and now found out I could have added a cheap item to get the $25 GC but I had gone through so much I really didn't think about it nor care at that point. Oh well, I guess there's always next time.

[quote name='kenshin65']So when you guys go to PM Walmart prices, you just bring the receipt and leave the steelbooks at home? [/QUOTE]

Exactly. The probably won't notice because only the Cars BD has STEE at the end of the receipt line since the title is so short.

Just hope that you don't have to sweat it out like I did.

[quote name='koji126']Wow...hrmms...should I take the chance? Doesn't the manager have to enter the approval code anyways? Anyone in the Bay Area do any successful price matching anywhere or plan to?[/QUOTE]

Yep, got it at the BB on Curtner in the Plant today ... they had copies of just about everything left as of 5 pm. Located on the LOST cardboard stand, facing away from the door. I PMed TRU for some of the $14.99 BRs and $19.99 or less for the Walmart ones.

Shouldn't run into much trouble ... tho it could depend on the staff I suppose.

[quote name='etcrane']Yep, got it at the BB on Curtner in the Plant today ... they had copies of just about everything left as of 5 pm. Located on the LOST cardboard stand, facing away from the door. I PMed TRU for some of the $14.99 BRs and $19.99 or less for the Walmart ones.

Shouldn't run into much trouble ... tho it could depend on the staff I suppose.[/QUOTE]

I will try that tomorrow thanks. I already bought from Best Buy at McCarthy though. Still possible to PM at a different Best Buy location? Shouldn't be any issues, right?

[quote name='koji126']I will try that tomorrow thanks. I already bought from Best Buy at McCarthy though. Still possible to PM at a different Best Buy location? Shouldn't be any issues, right?[/QUOTE]

Hypothetically it shouldn't, but in my personal experience as much as BB touts their policies, it really varies from store to store and even employee to employee.

I brought printed out prices to the one on Curtner, and they didn't even care at first, they were more concerned with calling to check the prices, so hypothetically you could bring nothing with you and as long as you know the prices, just tell them to call X store to get the price you want on each bluray.

I just found out that three of the blu-rays I pricematched from Walmart.com are cheaper at TRU.com.

Anyone know if I can get a second price adjustment after already gotten a first one?

Also here's a list of the cheapest prices available online from where they can then be PMed at Best Buy. Just add to cart, print out, and take to BB for the pricematch.

Walmart.com:

Monster's Inc - $20.32
Sleeping Beauty - $19.86
Pinocchio - $18.86
Cars - $15.32
A Nightmare Before Christmas - $15.00
Pirates of the Caribbean - Dead Man's Chest - $19.86
Pirates of the Caribbean - At World's End - $19.86
Pirates of the Caribbean - Curse of the Black Pearl - $19.86

Toysrus.com:

A Bug's Life - $14.99
WALL-E - $14.99
Ratatouille - $14.99

[quote name='Over easy']Thanks for the links. Too bad I won't be able to get to a BB until after dinner tomorrow night, so we'll see what is left at my local BBs.[/QUOTE]
Too bad Monsters, Inc. is gone. :(

[quote name='iNCREDiPiNOY']Too bad Monsters, Inc. is gone. :([/QUOTE]

At least three left at Glendale, CA location on Los Felix as of tonight 8:30pm.

I've gotta be honest, I really am not a fan of the larger steelbooks like Monsters INC and UP ... they kinda look ugly to me actually. I was considering buying Monsters Inc, even though I have the standard edition, and after seeing it, I had no real urge to buy it. The standard steelbooks are dead sexy, but those bigger ones are too plasticky and ugly imo.

[quote name='etcrane']I've gotta be honest, I really am not a fan of the larger steelbooks like Monsters INC and UP ... they kinda look ugly to me actually. I was considering buying Monsters Inc, even though I have the standard edition, and after seeing it, I had no real urge to buy it. The standard steelbooks are dead sexy, but those bigger ones are too plasticky and ugly imo.[/QUOTE]

I totally agree. If it wasn't that all Pixar Movies had steelbooks I wouldn't have picked up the case for UP or bought Monsters. Unfortunately Disney has me collector's frenzy up. I'm just happy I can limit myself to cartoons and not become a general steelbook collector.

[quote name='mrhappi79']
[/i]One thing to note was that I did not get the 110% PM discount which would have been $10 or so but who am I to complain.[/i]
[/QUOTE]

As of September 1, Best buy no longer does 10% of the difference.

Edit: Did anyone *NOT* get any of the steel-books they wanted? My friend did get the ones he wanted last night (I bought in the morning) so I have extras before they go back. Not so limited after all?

[quote name='HunteR7411']As of September 1, Best buy no longer does 10% of the difference.

Edit: Did anyone *NOT* get any of the steel-books they wanted? My friend did get the ones he wanted last night (I bought in the morning) so I have extras before they go back. Not so limited after all?[/QUOTE]

They probably are limited but just don't have a very large demand.

Argh, just found out the TRU prices are for today only. I don't think they'll allow me to do it tomorrow when I can actually go.

Also there's no Walmart in NYC, but some in other parts of NY, do you think BB will PM to their prices?

[quote name='perdition(troy']They probably are limited but just don't have a very large demand.[/QUOTE]

They're limited, but demand still isn't that high, because Blu-Ray is still only around 15% of the total home video market.

Let's face it - the reason why steelbooks have sold out so fast in Canada was because people were buying them up in hope that they can sell to the U.S. market and make a profit.

When there is a simultaneous U.S./Canadian steelbook release - like "This Is It" in January - we will see how fast these sell in Canada, since Canadian people know they can't unload them in the U.S. like with previous releases.

It's difficult to gauge demand when they've only been out a day ... you could be entirely right, but only time will tell.

Ok, just got back from the Westwood location and here's what I found out:

1. They have about 2-3 of each movie still left.

2. They will NOT pricematch on top of an already pricematched item. I wanted to further PM the $14.99 TRU.com prices for the ones I had already PMed from Walmart yesterday for Ratatouille, A Bug's Life, and Wall-E.

So the rep said the only way was to return and rebuy at the new prices. He did just that using the receipt and I got an additional $16.04 back.

In total I paid $16.79 average for the 8 steelbook versus the $29.99 pre-tax. Not too shabby. Saved a total of $116.

Ugh just got back from STL. MO Southcounty location. Was able to get waLL-E, Ratatouille, a bug's life price-matched for 15 ea. The asshole I got wouldn't price match monsters inc. or nightmare because wallmart didn't have em in stock, will most likely try my luck again tomorrow.

On a side note, did anyone get a disney rewards point card with any of them besides monsters inc?

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='etcrane']Yep, got it at the BB on Curtner in the Plant today ... they had copies of just about everything left as of 5 pm. Located on the LOST cardboard stand, facing away from the door. I PMed TRU for some of the $14.99 BRs and $19.99 or less for the Walmart ones.

Shouldn't run into much trouble ... tho it could depend on the staff I suppose.[/QUOTE]

They dogged me then on the TRU PM. Went about 930pm and they said they wouldn't PM a one day sale flyer. Although I shouldn't be surprised since I was a day early.

I was able to get Wall-e and Ratatouille at the McCarthy ranch location yesterday. I'll try again today.

[quote name='bob330i']They dogged me then on the TRU PM. Went about 930pm and they said they wouldn't PM a one day sale flyer. Although I shouldn't be surprised since I was a day early.

I was able to get Wall-e and Ratatouille at the McCarthy ranch location yesterday. I'll try again today.[/QUOTE]

Let me know how it goes at McCarthy, that's where I bought all of mine. It's usually a hit or miss for me at McCarthy.

[quote name='bob330i']They dogged me then on the TRU PM. Went about 930pm and they said they wouldn't PM a one day sale flyer. Although I shouldn't be surprised since I was a day early.

I was able to get Wall-e and Ratatouille at the McCarthy ranch location yesterday. I'll try again today.[/QUOTE]

It could have been because I was buying 8 at once ... I think they were a bit overwhelmed and just decided to pricematch after they called to check stock at TRU & Walmart. I'm not sure the sheet I gave them from the TRU website said anything about it being a 1 day sale either.

After price matching my order yesterday and losing my gift card, I went back today and returned my original purchase from yesterday. Purchased 8 of them (didn't want to double dip on the huge monsters inc case or the pirates trilogy) for 114 before tax by price matching walmart and TRU. With the $10 giftcard this turned out to be a great deal. Now if I could just sell the five regular disney blu-rays I have...

just got back from best buy with my receipt in hand and a print out of the wal-mart & toys r us prices... I had bought one of each for a total of 11 steelbooks! they looked at them, processed each one in the register (each had to have an over-ride by a manager) and credited me back for the difference! even apologized for me having to wait a few minutes for a manager!

wonderful experience! and now a GREAT deal!

bread's done
Back