Best Buy YMMV Thread

mikeshinobi

CAGiversary!
Can we have a thread where we share deals we find at our local Best Buys? Of course they're always YMMV but it would give us ideas of what to look out for.

I have two local best buys and each of them had different deals:

Best Buy #1:

• Dragon Quest Builders 2 (NSW): $15.99
Best Buy #2:

• Disgaea 4 (NSW): $15.99
  • Dead Cells (NSW): $10.99
  • Radiant Historia: Perfect Chronology (3DS): $12.99 (didn't get this, very sad)
  • Some other 3DS title I was extremely sad I missed out on (3DS): $10.99
There were some others but these were the ones that stood out the most that I can remember.

Also for anyone who doesn't know, if your Best Buy has a price placard out for a game but they're sold out, you can ask an employee to order it for you from their website and they will match their in-store price! Of course they have to have stock on the website though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Had made four sets of b2g1 Switch games and just received an email from Best Buy saying my order was canceled. Opened up the email and they canceled some Pikmin 4 tote bag.

Had made four sets of b2g1 Switch games and just received an email from Best Buy with saying my order was canceled. Opened up the email and they canceled some Pikmin 4 tote bag.
For some reason they had two tote bags on one of my orders and they just cancelled the extra one.

Other items are still there.

Yeah BBY canceled my 2nd tote bag too.

Its been mentioned but figure I will say it again, the Switch B2G1 free is for all Switch games not just the ones in the link,  Also, it seems to work on sale price games too.

People can disagree, but I have a soft spot for Best Buy. I worked there back in the mid-90's and don't want to see it go away, even though I know it doesn't have much time left in retail world that exists today.

So, I subscribed and hopefully will get some benefits out of the service.
I'm right there with you. I worked at Best Buy in the music and video game department when in high school back in the 90's.

It was an easy decision for me to sign up for the program. In addition to just wanting Best Buy to be around a little longer, I have 3 kids so it is not uncommon for us to buy multiple copies of the same. Mario, Metroid, Pokemon, and Zelda major releases are treated as holidays at my house.

I don't understand this nostalgia for Best Buy. Have you been in a store recently? The game section is minimalistic and only the main line games. Rare to find some hidden gem. Even release day games can't always find in store (Last year when the new CoD came out one store didn't even have it in stock and had to online order it from another (I had certificates).

If you were ordering some common game like CoD and you had certs... why not just do that online?  Certs stack and they are pretty good about getting a game out on release day or the day after (on rare occasions a day or two early).

The store is not the CAG gem it once was, but it's still good for computer parts and other stuff.  I feel like the whole cheap/reduced game thing and the used games weren't cash positive enough to be worth the retail space and understand why they shrank that down and use the space for other items.  I'd like to see them survive just because they are a reliable source for ordering games online and they still get a lot of games that the other big box stores don't.

I don't understand this nostalgia for Best Buy. Have you been in a store recently? The game section is minimalistic and only the main line games. Rare to find some hidden gem. Even release day games can't always find in store (Last year when the new CoD came out one store didn't even have it in stock and had to online order it from another (I had certificates).
The nostalgia is for what BBY used to be. 10-20 years ago there used to be rows of games for multiple systems. Rows of movies and music as well. You could spend hours browsing everything. They also had great gaming programs in the past. There were the gamer's gift cards where you got $5 off coupons with every gift card you got. Of course they had the Gamer's Club Unlocked for 20% off all game purchases. In addition you got double rewards points for every gaming purchase made (back when they still gave out rewards points for purchases). There was also a free (I think) gamer's club before that where you got coupons every month, many of which lead to free games.

Now of course they are a shell of their former self. But this B2G1 free on all Switch games promotion with the new My BBY program is a nice step back in that direction.

I don't really have nostalgia for best buy, but the GCU from the mid 2010's was insane.  It was practically free 20% off everything, even on top of B2G1's. i have an insane WiiU collection cause of it

This isnt as good but i'm probably going to bite every other year.  I feel like if I sub around september 2023, i'd be able to pre-order all the big 2024 games before the membership expires

The nostalgia is for what BBY used to be. 10-20 years ago there used to be rows of games for multiple systems. Rows of movies and music as well. You could spend hours browsing everything. They also had great gaming programs in the past. There were the gamer's gift cards where you got $5 off coupons with every gift card you got. Of course they had the Gamer's Club Unlocked for 20% off all game purchases. In addition you got double rewards points for every gaming purchase made (back when they still gave out rewards points for purchases). There was also a free (I think) gamer's club before that where you got coupons every month, many of which lead to free games.

Now of course they are a shell of their former self. But this B2G1 free on all Switch games promotion with the new My BBY program is a nice step back in that direction.
As far as I am concerned that remains to be seen. I still don't trust that things won't go awry with it, more so as it pertains to pre-orders that are forthcoming. That said, while I understand viewing things through a nostalgic lens, if I am to give support to a business it's not for what it used to be but for what it is.

I don't really have nostalgia for best buy, but the GCU from the mid 2010's was insane. It was practically free 20% off everything, even on top of B2G1's. i have an insane WiiU collection cause of it

This isnt as good but i'm probably going to bite every other year. I feel like if I sub around september 2023, i'd be able to pre-order all the big 2024 games before the membership expires
Just make sure it doesn't state in the terms and conditions that you need to be an active subscriber at the time of a pre-order's release in order to qualify for fulfillment.

Just make sure it doesn't state in the terms and conditions that you need to be an active subscriber at the time of a pre-order's release in order to qualify for fulfillment.
I’m fairly positive you do have to be a member. There’s a whole description covering cancelling and what happens to orders… especially the b2g1. Which is part of the reason I’m waiting to subscribe.

I'd argue it's a nostalgia of the brick & mortar experience being a complete one. Now your choices are BB (run by clowns) or GS (run by OGs of clownology). I'm not sure which one will be gone first but it's coming.

BB has shifted to this mentality of "our services will drive business" forgetting that they don't have the personnel to be industry leaders in any service they offer (Micro Center beats them in computers, GS/local store beats them by default in games, carrier stores beat them for cell phones, etc). And with having little to no stock on hand, impulse buys are gone. Along with all of that, they have completely killed any positive rewards programs they've had, and somehow made a pay program shittier than their free ones were.

Also their redesigned stores are soulless and look like concrete warehouses now.

I understand the comments, but how many times have you been in Bb (or GS) and checked (and possibly ordered) an item from Amazon while still in the store because it's cheaper?.
. But I guess I've changed the topic now lol

I understand the comments, but how many times have you been in Bb (or GS) and checked (and possibly ordered) an item from Amazon while still in the store because it's cheaper?.
. But I guess I've changed the topic now lol
Every heard of price matching? ;)

I do miss GCU.  20% off and a lot of major new release titles came with $10 gift cards if you pre-ordered.

Will price matching Gamestop's $39 switch games still trigger PlusMember B2G1?
Don't know but you can try. I can confirm that the B2G1 works on sale priced items but not sure if it works when the items are manually price matched.

Will be interesting to see what Switch games BBY puts on sale on Monday considering most retailers are running sales this week due to Prime Day this week.

I wonder how BB will handle price matches on the B2G1 for the two paid items.  Will the free game's value be prorated towards two paid games for price matching or will it be the actual price paid for the paid games?

First party Nintendo sales never happen right?

I mean, not until Thanksgiving again when they're all $30-$40 everywhere at Target, Gamestop, and Walmart.  again

First party Nintendo sales never happen right?

I mean, not until Thanksgiving again when they're all $30-$40 everywhere at Target, Gamestop, and Walmart. again
They do here and there. Newer releases though often won't go on a significant discount for awhile or won't hit $30-$40 at retailers until perhaps the following year.

Gamestop price match worked at $39 each and
triggered B2G1. I got Mario Odyssey, Mario Bros Deluxe and Pokemon Arceus. I tried Metroid Dread but no local Gamestop had it in stock. Total came out to $84.44

looks like best buy matched the $30 on mario party, but membership required, same with donkey kong. they also matched gamestops $40 on odyssey, mario kart for everyone.

This shit is glitched out 🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥This will get pulled quick!
[attachment=38052:IMG_0683.jpeg]

This shit is glitched out This will get pulled quick!
IMG_0683.jpeg
It seems whatever game you add last gets discounted to free. You could get the Pokemon Double Pack for $90 for free as an example if you add it last. My only concern is that they catch these before shipping and then I end up with a $50 membership I don't need.

Just did it again. Just 2 orders for me. Don’t want to get banned. Enjoy CAGs, 1st time I actually discovered a glitch!
[attachment=38054:IMG_0684.jpeg]

It seems whatever game you add last gets discounted to free. You could get the Pokemon Double Pack for $90 for free as an example if you add it last. My only concern is that they catch these before shipping and then I end up with a $50 membership I don't need.
Not all 3rd carted games become the free one. Super mario rpg preorder for example did not glitch. This is also why you should try store pickup instead of shipping if you can. This $50 best buy membership is worth it. Haven’t felt this good about BBY since the Hubert Joley days!

Don't feel good about this one.  Mainly refusing to bite on the paid membership.  Also suspect preorders will not be honored.  Getting stuck with the membership in the end would be brutal.

I too wouldnt trust pre-orders to not be nixed but I guess if you're the gambling type 

Don't feel good about this one. Mainly refusing to bite on the paid membership. Also suspect preorders will not be honored. Getting stuck with the membership in the end would be brutal.
The $50 membership is great albeit not as good as GCU. I brought disney gc at 10% off July 4th weekend. The b2g1 switch games even non-glitched is great. But the b2g1 glitched is too sweet.

SD says deal is dead now, edit- not sure maybe false flag
Not dead. People probably hit a purchase limit on the item. Think it’s 4? Stores have them in place to stop resellers.

Nevermind, it is fixed now. Between SD and Wario too many flag’s probably went up in their It department.

Deal is partially dead

C+P from other comment on SD

As noted in previous comments, they still have quite a few games to do the deal:

Zelda Games:
Skyward Sword
BoTW
Link's Awakening

Multiplayer:
Mario Strikers
New Super Mario Bros U Deluxe
Mario Kart 8
Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
Mario Tennis Aces
Cuphead

Solo:
Ring Fit Adventure
Super Mario Odyssey
Metroid Prime Remastered
Animal Crossing
Bayonetta 3

that list is incomplete, easiest way to check it is add 2 $30 games to your cart with the membership and it shows what games will end up free

sonic origins. live a live, pokemon snap, mario golf among the ones i see working.

All gift cards? cause i feel like that'd be insane for instacart (i know instacart isnt very cheapass, but not owning a car is)
Not everything. Xbox, Nintendo and PlayStations monies have been 15% off since the membership switched over.

My haul from B2G1 Glitch.

1st order: Donkey Kong TF $30, Super Mario Party$30 and Pokemon Violet/Scarlet Dual Pack(Free)

2nd order for friend: Donkey Kong TF$30, Super Mario Party$30 and Zelda TOTK(Free).

Today I did a return/rebuy to exchange a different game. Metroid Dread(walmart pm $39.99), Pokemon Arceus( GS PM $39) and Mario Deluxe(GS PM $39 Free).

Interesting. BB is cycling titles in the B2G1 free Switch deal for Total members. I saw Dead Cells: Return to Castlevania on it a few days ago. It's not there right now as I was about to pull the trigger on it. I do see Ring Fit Adventure now, and I swear it wasn't there a few days ago when I made a list of titles I'd be willing to buy in this promo.

bread's done
Back