Best Buy YMMV Thread

mikeshinobi

CAGiversary!
Can we have a thread where we share deals we find at our local Best Buys? Of course they're always YMMV but it would give us ideas of what to look out for.

I have two local best buys and each of them had different deals:

Best Buy #1:

• Dragon Quest Builders 2 (NSW): $15.99
Best Buy #2:

• Disgaea 4 (NSW): $15.99
  • Dead Cells (NSW): $10.99
  • Radiant Historia: Perfect Chronology (3DS): $12.99 (didn't get this, very sad)
  • Some other 3DS title I was extremely sad I missed out on (3DS): $10.99
There were some others but these were the ones that stood out the most that I can remember.

Also for anyone who doesn't know, if your Best Buy has a price placard out for a game but they're sold out, you can ask an employee to order it for you from their website and they will match their in-store price! Of course they have to have stock on the website though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Crap. If anyone has an extra copy of Death stranding to sell let me know. Thanks!
Just fyi, after you factor in shipping ($5) and I imagine the seller would want a few bucks for his/her troubles, you're already at or pretty much at $20 ... which is how much the game is right now - and has been during PS sales (and will be again over BF/holidays).

Nintendo Switch owners get nothing but a big lump of coal as usual. They can't ever do something along the lines of an EA game other than FIFA, like Need for Speed or Unravel Two, or maybe a SEGA title like one of the Monkeyball games or an older Sonic title, or how about something from Bandai Namco's catalog like Katamari Damacy Reroll, Ni No Kuni, or one of the PAC-MAN titles?? I mean, I'm not asking for the moon here. They even had Scott Pilgrim for $10 once in some random sale that sold out fast. You couldn't run that again? SOMETHING decent in these promos for crying out loud. I'm sorry but Balan Wonderworld is garbage and no one really cares about Rabbids Party Legends. For Switch owners it's just pathetic that they can't ever seem to come up with any better offerings.

Nintendo Switch owners get nothing but a damn lump of coal as usual. They can't ever do something along the lines of an EA game other than FIFA, like Need for Speed or Unravel Two, or maybe a SEGA title like one of the Monkeyball games or an older Sonic title, or how about something from Bandai Namco's catalog like Katamari Damacy Reroll, Ni No Kuni, or one of the PAC-MAN titles?? I mean, I'm not asking for the moon here. They even had Scott Pilgrim for $10 once in some random sale that sold out fast. You couldn't run that again? SOMETHING decent in these promos for crying out loud. I'm sorry but Balan Wonderworld is garbage and no one really cares about Rabbids Party Legends. For Switch owners it's just pathetic that they can't ever seem to come up with any better offerings.
Best Buy probably wants Switch owners to sign up for their membership program. Buy 2 Get 1 Free for Switch games is probably the best deal that hardly anyone seems to be talking about.

Best Buy probably wants Switch owners to sign up for their membership program. Buy 2 Get 1 Free for Switch games is probably the best deal that hardly anyone seems to be talking about.
Well we've seen a number of these promos going back long before the push of this newest initiative by Best Buy and I honestly can't recall a single one where a genuinely interesting Switch game deal was offered.

As for their memberships: no thanks, I refuse in principle on paying a fee for something that has been put behind such a contrived paywall. Besides, these sorts of memberships always seem to result in the same story where I typically end up getting the things I will have wanted at the same or cheaper price later anyway, and without having to pay for the added expense of said membership. Plus, I will reiterate that I am not convinced that there won't be a problem with fulfillment of preorders later. But for me it's moot. I'm not an early adopter and never really have any sense of urgency for anything so I won't be buying into it.

Additionally the best buy membership thing is only a deal if you are getting multiple sets of 3 to make up the cost of the membership.

And like others mentioned it's risky and you can end up stuck with a worthless membership and or they just get rid of it entirely.

Most of us just use target i imagine. since circle promos and buy x get y sales plus red card usually works for most stuff including some or most preorders at the start of the sale. Besides occasionally excluded platforms that's random.
And iirc occasionally amazon and others matches some of the sales prices or people get chat and such to manually get a price match.

I am going to reserve any titles that are semi-interesting for store pickup and then decide after the 10 days of deals is up, what I want to do.

Predictions:

Rainbow 6
FIFA
Just Dance
Lego Brawls
Pac-Man
Assassins Creed
NBA 2K
Plants vs Zombies
Rabbids Party Legends
Well, I got the last one right.

Nintendo Switch owners get nothing but a big lump of coal as usual. They can't ever do something along the lines of an EA game other than FIFA, like Need for Speed or Unravel Two, or maybe a SEGA title like one of the Monkeyball games or an older Sonic title, or how about something from Bandai Namco's catalog like Katamari Damacy Reroll, Ni No Kuni, or one of the PAC-MAN titles?? I mean, I'm not asking for the moon here. They even had Scott Pilgrim for $10 once in some random sale that sold out fast. You couldn't run that again? SOMETHING decent in these promos for crying out loud. I'm sorry but Balan Wonderworld is garbage and no one really cares about Rabbids Party Legends. For Switch owners it's just pathetic that they can't ever seem to come up with any better offerings.
The entire point of these sales is for them to clear out stuff that is not selling.

Additionally the best buy membership thing is only a deal if you are getting multiple sets of 3 to make up the cost of the membership.

And like others mentioned it's risky and you can end up stuck with a worthless membership and or they just get rid of it entirely.

Most of us just use target i imagine. since circle promos and buy x get y sales plus red card usually works for most stuff including some or most preorders at the start of the sale. Besides occasionally excluded platforms that's random.
And iirc occasionally amazon and others matches some of the sales prices or people get chat and such to manually get a price match.
15% off all gaming currency cards too. Easily made up the initial $50 entry fee on a few b2g1 and currency discounts.

Better sale than expected. Normally they have 10 games not worth buying. This time I got 3 I wanted (Gotham, Death Stranding DC, Sackboy).

I made up the cost of membership by taking advantage of a GC deal that was only for members. I have a Disney timeshare so I used discounted gift cards to pay my annual dues. Buying multiples of that deal paid off the membership cost. Everything else is now gravy.

I do think that the members will get early access to BF deals this year.

Well we've seen a number of these promos going back long before the push of this newest initiative by Best Buy and I honestly can't recall a single one where a genuinely interesting Switch game deal was offered.

As for their memberships: no thanks, I refuse in principle on paying a fee for something that has been put behind such a contrived paywall. Besides, these sorts of memberships always seem to result in the same story where I typically end up getting the things I will have wanted at the same or cheaper price later anyway, and without having to pay for the added expense of said membership. Plus, I will reiterate that I am not convinced that there won't be a problem with fulfillment of preorders later. But for me it's moot. I'm not an early adopter and never really have any sense of urgency for anything so I won't be buying into it.
If Best Buy wants me to pay to shop there then they better start selling Spindrift, Prime Ribeye, and bulk granola at a discount.

Eshop, psn and such giftcards wise you can get those at most grocery bulk stores you already have a membership for. and occasionally at target and drugstore or dollar stores discounted. The latter without a paid membership required. But yeah it's a good deal if you are already buying this stuff from bestbuy.

You got Rabbids for $10 on Switch so it's there.

IMHO, Switch owners are probably the most physical-media buying crowd of all three consoles at this point, so it makes perfect sense that Switch games aren't generally part of deeply discounted promotions. The Switch premium - even for less expensive (<$30) games - seems alive and well so retailers not wanting to offer those, at least right now, is understandable.

That and Nintendo rarely discount stuff first party and second party since their ips carry strong recognition. They also got rid of selects presumably so there's that as well.

Eshop, psn and such giftcards wise you can get those at most grocery bulk stores you already have a membership for. and occasionally at target and drugstore or dollar stores discounted. The latter without a paid membership required. But yeah it's a good deal if you are already buying this stuff from bestbuy.
Yeah I don't have a Costco or Sam's club membership so have never been able to take advantage of that

That and Nintendo rarely discount stuff first party and second party since their ips carry strong recognition. They also got rid of selects presumably so there's that as well.
Nintendo has a few evergreen titles that sell all gen long but they keep a lot of their stuff full price out of pure stubbornness.

Do you have a drug mart, dollar tree, family dollar or such? As they do the discounted psn and such there every so often.
Have a dollar tree, not the others though. Had no idea they carried gaming currency. The 15% at best buy is nice for convenience as I don't have to plan ahead. When something is on sale on PSN I can just buy the currency online and get another 15% off, but yeah I'll look into these alternatives too.

15% off all gaming currency cards too. Easily made up the initial $50 entry fee on a few b2g1 and currency discounts.
As an example, have seen Dollar General offer the same 15% off periodically without the need for a paid membership. And when Target does the B1G1 15% off on the gaming cards it comes out to just over 12% off with Red Card, again without a paid membership. Basically every point that people have raised in here as perks to the BB membership program I can get for free by either waiting and/or shopping around elsewhere.

You got Rabbids for $10 on Switch so it's there.

IMHO, Switch owners are probably the most physical-media buying crowd of all three consoles at this point, so it makes perfect sense that Switch games aren't generally part of deeply discounted promotions. The Switch premium - even for less expensive (<$30) games - seems alive and well so retailers not wanting to offer those, at least right now, is understandable.
Meh, shovelware.

Of the examples I gave I doubt they are selling much at this point. Many of them are the kind of thing you would see as those value games that Best Buy has on the shelf and stickered for $19.99 that just sit there collecting dust. And Switch is reaching the end of it's life now, so if not now then when?

As an example, have seen Dollar General offer the same 15% off periodically without the need for a paid membership. And when Target does the B1G1 15% off on the gaming cards it comes out to just over 12% off with Red Card, again without a paid membership.
Yeah I don't have dollar general near me and as I said earlier not having to plan ahead is nice and just buy the currency when you need it. To each their own though obviously

If you go to the Switch section on Best Buy and sort by price you will find that only 3 games are under $20. The simple fact is Switch games don't need to go down to $10 to sell out. Even shovelware doesn't need to go that low for the scalpers to nab them for their eBay stores.

bread's done
Back