Best Buy YMMV Thread

mikeshinobi

CAGiversary!
Can we have a thread where we share deals we find at our local Best Buys? Of course they're always YMMV but it would give us ideas of what to look out for.

I have two local best buys and each of them had different deals:

Best Buy #1:

• Dragon Quest Builders 2 (NSW): $15.99
Best Buy #2:

• Disgaea 4 (NSW): $15.99
  • Dead Cells (NSW): $10.99
  • Radiant Historia: Perfect Chronology (3DS): $12.99 (didn't get this, very sad)
  • Some other 3DS title I was extremely sad I missed out on (3DS): $10.99
There were some others but these were the ones that stood out the most that I can remember.

Also for anyone who doesn't know, if your Best Buy has a price placard out for a game but they're sold out, you can ask an employee to order it for you from their website and they will match their in-store price! Of course they have to have stock on the website though.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you go to the Switch section on Best Buy and sort by price you will find that only 3 games are under $20. The simple fact is Switch games don't need to go down to $10 to sell out. Even shovelware doesn't need to go that low for the scalpers to nab them for their eBay stores.
Well Best Buy discontinued a bunch of games more recently. Doesn't mean that they sold out. It's an ongoing process by which retailers pull things from sale or for salvage purposes. I tried to mention titles that they still carried. Also it's funny how every time I walk into a Best Buy or Walmart there is a rack full of value-priced Switch games that just are just collecting dust at $20. As for Target they got rid of those, presumably because they weren't selling.

Was in a Walmart recently and was pretty mystified when I saw the usual value priced suspects in the middle of the main aisle in front of the electronics section and they were labeled best sellers or top sellers or something like that, like movie new releases or w/e

Not even sure if it was intentional but still very funny, the whole damn value game section entirely moved and given a different silly label

Just had the weirdest shit ever to a pick up order of mine: it was already picked and set aside for pick up since yesterday. Now they couldn't find it, blamed system dropping my order and employee de-tagged it and fulfill someone else order's. This doesn't make sense since the item is on clearance and sold out for some time now, by that explaination Bestbuy had to oversell this particular item.

And plus is it normal for them to sourcing item from the pile holding for customers?

Sent from my SM-N970U1 using Tapatalk

Just had the weirdest shit ever to a pick up order of mine: it was already picked and set aside for pick up since yesterday. Now they couldn't find it, blamed system dropping my order and employee de-tagged it and fulfill someone else order's. This doesn't make sense since the item is on clearance and sold out for some time now, by that explaination Bestbuy had to oversell this particular item.

And plus is it normal for them to sourcing item from the pile holding for customers?

Right. Sounds like stolen

I ordered nier automata in the past and got 3 copies of the outer worlds so anything is possible with online orders I'd wager.

Clearance games can be iffy. Stores don't count every single game in the store that often so if an order comes through and that copy got lost or jacked, it gets kicked to the next store with stock. If the last copy company wide is one awaiting pickup, it will be nabbed as soon as it expires, is canceled or in you case some kind of error.

I found something kind of interesting on the shelf today.  Dead Cells Castlevania swtich on sale, on the shelf tag only.

Dead-Cells-Castlevania-1.jpg

I didn't think it would ring up with the discount, but it did.  $18.99.  The PS5 version was still regular price check $44.99.  They also both remain regular price on the website.

You're probably going to have to hustle to get this deal.

Considering it only came out a month ago that's gotta be a price error, nice find. If I had a Best Buy closer I'd go check but not gonna gamble for a long drive.

i found something kind of interesting on the shelf today. Dead Cells Castlevania swtich on sale, on the shelf tag only.

I didn't think it would ring up with the discount, but it did. $18.99. The PS5 version was still regular price check $44.99. They also both remain regular price on the website.

Sweet deal, thanks for the heads-up! Just managed to pick it up before my local store closed. I also saw these:

:switch: 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim - $24.99 (reg $59.99)

:switch: Embr - $12.99 (reg $29.99)

:switch: Super Meat Boy Forever - $14.99 (reg $34.99)

I found something kind of interesting on the shelf today. Dead Cells Castlevania swtich on sale, on the shelf tag only.

I didn't think it would ring up with the discount, but it did. $18.99. The PS5 version was still regular price check $44.99. They also both remain regular price on the website.

IMG-2828.jpg

Thanks for heads up. Picked up Dead Cells and Super Meatboy Forever 30 mins before closing. According to the receipt it says both games are on clearance.

I also saw Windjammers 2 $15 and Balan Wonderworld $8.49 Switch.

Thanks! It's not like Best Buy is worth a casual stop for games anymore.

I'm around Grand Rapids, MI and can confirm the price on Dead Cells as well; they had it marked $18.99. No slots for the other games at the store I went to unfortunately. I was considering this release when it was announced, but $45 was too high for me for how much I'll play it.

Thanks! It's not like Best Buy is worth a casual stop for games anymore.

I'm around Grand Rapids, MI and can confirm the price on Dead Cells as well; they had it marked $18.99. No slots for the other games at the store I went to unfortunately. I was considering this release when it was announced, but $45 was too high for me for how much I'll play it.
At least for me Windjammers 2 was not with the regular game selection, but the end cap with the $19.99 games.

Thanks for the heads up OP. My local stores apparently don't keep any switch games on the floor anymore, just paper tags to bring up front Costco style. And dead cells had no tag, had to ask an employee to help find it.

They did also have ff7 crisis core on Xbox for 18.99, I grabbed that too.

So dead cells Castlevania is 44.99 on Best Buy's website but it's $18.99 in the store? Are people calling up their local Best Buy to see if they have it in stock and at that price or are you just randomly going to Best Buy and hope you find it?

So dead cells Castlevania is 44.99 on Best Buy's website but it's $18.99 in the store? Are people calling up their local Best Buy to see if they have it in stock and at that price or are you just randomly going to Best Buy and hope you find it?
My strategy was to look on online which stores in my area had it available for same day pickup, then I drove to the store and asked someone to help me find it. Im not certain it rings up at the reduced price 100% of the time, but I just asked them to confirm what price it rings at before buying

Thanks for the heads up OP. My local stores apparently don't keep any switch games on the floor anymore, just paper tags to bring up front Costco style. And dead cells had no tag, had to ask an employee to help find it.

They did also have ff7 crisis core on Xbox for 18.99, I grabbed that too.
Kennesaw GA was the same story to a T! No label indicating the deal, which was weird

I checked stock online first, then went in to verify price

I get that you are checking to make sure it's in stock online first but you are also not calling the store to see what the price is correct? Will calling the store and asking what the price is somehow make the game the same price as what it is online? Basically, if it's $18.99 in the store, they will tell you on the phone it's $18.99 is my thinking.

I get that you are checking to make sure it's in stock online first but you are also not calling the store to see what the price is correct? Will calling the store and asking what the price is somehow make the game the same price as what it is online? Basically, if it's $18.99 in the store, they will tell you on the phone it's $18.99 is my thinking.
You should be able to do that yeah! I just dropped by and took a chance, but you could totally tell them over the phone that some stores are putting them on sale and ask if they ring up on sale in their system too

I would love to try and nab that Castlevania & Super Meat Boy at those prices but I'm not making a hour drive to my nearest BB just on a chance especially with gas prices as they are now.  Those days are over for me.

No, it either is that price in-store or it isn't. Calling in would have nothing to do with it, nor is it a price match situation. The rule of thumb when it comes to any kind of clearance, potential price error, or just a hot deal -- whenever it is at all possible or practical do not call in and bring attention to it, lest you risk alerting employees who can potentially swoop in and take the deal before you.

I would love to try and nab that Castlevania & Super Meat Boy at those prices but I'm not making a hour drive to my nearest BB just on a chance especially with gas prices as they are now. Those days are over for me.
Mine is only 4 miles away so 8 round trip but the cheapest gas around me here in Southern California is $5.19 and I'm really not feeling the motivation to drive there right now. I wouldn't even be opening the game and playing it. I would likely just be reselling it since I can play it on Game Pass and just play the DLC later when it goes on sale or whatever. If I was going to keep the game I'd say it would be worth it but I'm just too lazy to drive there hope it's the price and then put it on OfferUp and sell it for like a profit of maybe 15-20 bucks. Great deal for people here that are playing the game right now though.

I would love to try and nab that Castlevania & Super Meat Boy at those prices but I'm not making a hour drive to my nearest BB just on a chance especially with gas prices as they are now. Those days are over for me.
That's exactly how I feel, if I saw it on the shelf I'd buy it in a heartbeat, but I'm not spending two hours round trip traveling to go get one.

No, it either is that price in-store or it isn't. Calling in would have nothing to do with it, nor is it a price match situation. The rule of thumb when it comes to any kind of clearance, potential price error, or just a hot deal -- whenever possible or practical do not call in and call attention to it, lest you risk alerting employees who can potentially swoop in and take the deal before you.
Normally I'd agree with you but it's pretty clear now from all the posts here that this is in the national system, not a per-store mistake. So being in stock is probably a good enough question and no individual store is likely to "fix" the price from a phone call. But checking the website shows it is in stock is probably good enough to not necessitate an additional phone call.

I'm in the same boat. Nearest BB is an hour away... though at least there are a few others not much further than that in the same area. But not rolling the dice on that and burning that much GA$ for potentially nothing.

I'm in the same boat. Nearest BB is an hour away... though at least there are a few others not much further than that in the same area. But not rolling the dice on that and burning that much GA$ for potentially nothing.
2 hours round trip is not worth it even if you could guarantee it was in stock. I have no idea how much gas costs around you or how many MPG your car gets but I would have to think the time and money you are spending driving is not worth it to buy a $44.99 game for $18.99. $30 off is a great deal but if you are spending $15 in gas and 2 hours of driving time, it's not worth it IMO to save $15.

There is a Burger King that is a 2 min drive from my house that is always more expensive than one that is about 12 min or so away. It's better for me to pay the extra money rather than driving further to save like $1 or whatever it is. Even as a cheapassgamer, distance and time are still more valuable. I gave the $15 as an example. It might be more or less for you.

Speaking of Burger King, in the app is a deal that you get a chicken sandwich with any purchase of $1 or more so I bought a $1 medium Frozen Cherry Fanta and got the chicken sandwich. Tasty and cheap lunch!

Picked up the last copies of Super Meat Boy Forever, Windjammers 2, and Crisis Core PS4 at the Best Buy in West Paterson, NJ.

Found a lone copy of Dead Cells on PS5 but no luck with the price.

Is it not possible to use a best buy gift card to purchase playstation store cards? I tried, but the order got cancelled. Any work around that anyone knows of? Was hoping to convert it to ps store credit for Baldurs Gate 3 since there is no physical version

Thanks, I got Dead Cells and Super Meat Boy

Here's a few others I found:

PS4 Spellforce 3 $8.49

PS4 Valkyrie Elisium $16.99

PS Star Ocean the Divine Force $14.99 (Don't remember if PS4 or PS5)

X1 Outriders Day 1 $8.49 since it's leaving GP

X1 Among Us Complete Edition $12.99

X1 Redfall Biteback Upgrade (Steelbook, no game) $12.99

X1 Crisis Core $20.99

X1 Wild Hearts $20.99

Decided to hit up a different location to see what else might be out there and observed these as well:

:switch: Hokko Life - $12.99 (reg $29.99)

:switch: Just Die Already - $12.99 (reg $29.99)

:switch: Mutazione - $14.99 (reg $34.99)

:switch: Windjammers 2 - $14.99 (reg $34.99)

edit: these next two are couple of older ones that, in my area at least, have been gone for a bit

:switch: Monster Hunter Rise - $16.99 (reg $39.99)

:switch: Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1 + 2 - $16.99 (reg $39.99)

Winter Garden Best Buy had a fair amount of copies  of Dead Cells Castlevania for $18.99 along with a handful of Windjammers 2 and Super Meat Boy Forever for $14.99.

Really appreciate the heads up. Perfect timing too as I was holding off on getting Dead Cells Castlevania until I sold the vanilla version, and that finally happened yesterday. 

Has anyone ever been to a Best Buy Outlet? I'm wondering what they sell there and if it's worth going to one.

Winter Garden Best Buy had a fair amount of copies of Dead Cells Castlevania for $18.99 along with a handful of Windjammers 2 and Super Meat Boy Forever for $14.99.

Really appreciate the heads up. Perfect timing too as I was holding off on getting Dead Cells Castlevania until I sold the vanilla version, and that finally happened yesterday.

Has anyone ever been to a Best Buy Outlet? I'm wondering what they sell there and if it's worth going to one.
It's mainly going to be refrigerators, washer & dryers, and some TVs.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Bought Windjammers 2 :switch: and discovered the following as well:

:ps4: Zombies Ate My Neighbors/Ghoul Patrol $14.99
:ps4: Bloodstained Curse of the Moon 2 $12.99
:ps4: Maneater Apex Predator Edition $8.49
PS5 Shantae & The Pirates Curse $14.99
:switch: Grindstone $14.99

Bought Bloodstained, Maneater, Shantae & Grindstone. Just waiting for Panzer Dragoon to drop in price at my local Best Buy as they have several copies at $34.99 still.

Bought Windjammers 2 and discovered the following as well:

Zombies Ate My Neighbors/Ghoul Patrol PS4 $14.99
Bloodstained Curse of the Moon 2 PS4 $12.99
Man-eater Apex Predator Edition $8.49
Shantae & The Pirates Curse PS5 $14.99
Grindstone (Switch) $14.99
what system is Maneater?

Local best buy had plenty of Dead cells: Castlevania. I picked up 2 copies and Street fighter 30th anniversary Sw hoping the b2g1 my best buy promo would stack. It did not so I dropped SF anniversary. I couldn’t find crisis core but am excited about Castlevania; thanks OP!

Glad we could finally get the ball rollin on some BB discounts on video games.  It has been quite awhile heh.

They are clearly pushing out some of the (LRG, Indie) nonsense to make room for the holiday ramp up.

As just mentioned the BBY Plus B2G1 free does not work on clearance Switch games in store (tried it yesterday).

Did pick up:

Windjammers 2 (Switch) - $14.99

Super Meat Boy Forever (Switch) - $14.99

Shantae & the Pirate's Curse (PS5) - $14.99

Also saw:

Quake (PS5) - $14.99

Good to see these prices are pretty much consistent across all Best Buys assuming they have it in stock.

Went back to grab Scott Pilgrim & looked at the Xbox section:

Maneater Apex $8.49
Atlus Fallen $24.99
Wild Hearts $20.99

Couple more PS4 titles:

Doki Doki Literature Club Plus $12.99
Ghostbusters Spirit Unleashed $8.49
World of Outlaws Dirt Racing $16.99

Only thing I spotted at my local BB is Need for Speed Heat PS4 for $8.49. Thought about buying it till I remembered I bought the Complete Edition (or whatever they call it these days) digitally for less than that a year or two ago.

Thanks for heads-up on the price reductions, went in this morning and got what looked like the last copies of Crisis Core and Star Ocean Divine Force for PS4. While looking through what all they had, I noticed they had a copy of Trails to Azure for PS4, which has been sold out every where for awhile. When I tried to check out though, they said Azure was a preorder and didn't have a release date until December. I told them that was weird since it came out several months ago, so they looked into it some more and saw they had received this one copy back in March, but aren't allowed to sell it until December. They did let me "preorder" it and they'll hang on to until they can release it to me.  :roll:

When I got home I checked the Best Buy website and they still have Trails to Azure available to preorder on there, so if anyone is looking for a copy and is patient, looks like Best Buy probably still has them in their warehouse due to putting the wrong release date in their system.

bread's done
Back