Best (cost effective) GPS in vehicle navigation unit

FRAUD_WHATS_THAT

CAGiversary!
Feedback
7 (100%)
I've been in the market recently for a vehicle navigation unit and noticed Circuit City is having some what of a sale this week on units. Some that peaked my interest are the MIO C220 and Magellan Maestro 3100. If anyone owns either unit and can help make my purchase worthwhile, I would greatly appreciate your help. Here are some of the features that are important to me:

1) Cost, of course (cheapass)
2) Accuracy (some have reported map errors)
3) Ease of updating (via usb or some other easy way)
4) Other pre-installed maps (other countries, mainly western Europe)

I know this is alot of information, but I have read multiple reviews and most have many extremes on both ends of the spectrum, GOOD vs BAD.

Any other recommendations are appreciated or any upcoming sales/cheapass prices might sway me one way or the other.

I just want to make sure I get the most bang for my buck with this purchase and get most of features that I want above.

Thanks and hope to hear about any positive or negative experiences out there with any GPS units.

I picked up the Magellan Maestro for $199 at Best Buy. The POI system on that model is complete shit with only 750,000 listings. I was in a spot with about 70 restaraunts in a 2 block radius and it only listed about 20 of them.

Navigation wise though, the system has been excellent and the routing is better than the Tom Tom One I previously tried. It does however only contain maps for the 48 states. It has a USB connection on it, but I have yet to see any updates come across. The maps its using are current and I have had no issues so far.

Overall it's lacking in alot of fine touches; but for strictly navigation purposes it does it's job extremely well.

I've heard the new entry level Mio's are quite good at around $200, but have no personal experience using them.

At an entry-level cost (ie, around $200) chances are you won't find anything that includes any part of Europe - unless you buy it there. The Magellan 3100 only contains the lower 48 states, and the Mio c220 is the same only with more points of interest. I've seen the Magellan 4040 for $400 (at RadioShack) which includes far more POIs and bluetooth, and the TomTom Go910 which is about the same (except the bluetooth doesn't handle calls). I've heard that Garmin offers free updates, but their shit be pricey, yo.

bread's done
Back