Best deal to trade in a PS2

Backlash

CAGiversary!
Feedback
8 (100%)
I'm afraid mine might die soon (it's hanging and grinding a bit sometimes on certain games, though I never get a DRE). Anyway, what's the best place to trade it in?

I believe I just missed some deal at EB to trade in games along with a PS2 and get extra credit...anything else like that out there? Does EB still give the most money for one?

Also, should I try for another fat PS2 or the slim one? I have no interest in the hard drive.

If you're going to trade it in, I think EBGames would be your best bet.

If a hard drive and money doesn't really matter for you, go for the slim PSTwo.

[quote name='fatherofcaitlyn']Better trade it fast. The PS2's price is dropping to $99.99 the day XBOX 360 hits.[/QUOTE]

proof?

I don't think it's been confirmed, but there's a lot of speculation that Sony will drop the price to try to combat the 360 some. I do want to trade in my PS2 ASAP. Hopefully I can also tide myself over with my other consoles while I wait for the price drop :)

[quote name='mtxbass1']proof?[/QUOTE]

Do I have a memo directly from Sony? Of course not.

I talk a lot of shop with the Game Crazy store manager. I'm in there everyday cleaning discs, buying games and what not.

According to him, a Sony rep was bragging about it.

You don't have to believe me, but how much longer can the PS2 keep a $150 price tag? The tech is 4 or 5 years old and will be last generation in 3-6 months.

[quote name='fatherofcaitlyn']Do I have a memo directly from Sony? Of course not.

I talk a lot of shop with the Game Crazy store manager. I'm in there everyday cleaning discs, buying games and what not.

According to him, a Sony rep was bragging about it.

You don't have to believe me, but how much longer can the PS2 keep a $150 price tag? The tech is 4 or 5 years old and will be last generation in 3-6 months.[/QUOTE]

Oh, so now you heard it from a guy who heard it from another guy. Yeah... okay.

[quote name='mtxbass1']Oh, so now you heard it from a guy who heard it from another guy. Yeah... okay.[/QUOTE]

Yep.

I heard it from a guy who runs a video game store who heard it from a guy that works for Sony.

No real solid evidence.

I suppose I could ask the Game Crazy manager for something written down, but I'm not expecting him to hand over communications between corporations (or even to have them in his possession).

If you want to prove me wrong, buy a brand new PS2 31 days before the launch of the Xbox 360 for $150.

Which store gives the most for PS2s?

Which stores accept broken PS2s and for how much?

How do the stores check the systems? As long as it powers on or do they throw in a game and wait for it to load and all that?

[quote name='Oxy_Gen']Which store gives the most for PS2s?

Which stores accept broken PS2s and for how much?

How do the stores check the systems? As long as it powers on or do they throw in a game and wait for it to load and all that?[/QUOTE]

Only one I know is EB, they give $75.

I traded one to EB, and the guy asked me if it worked. After I said yes, he rang it up without any testing. Mine was starting to have problems...DREs, clicking, etc. It still worked half the time though.

[quote name='m0dem']I heard it was dropping too but I heard it was dropping to $50 geuss we will see come november[/QUOTE]

Wow! Imagine the bloodbath on eBay!

[quote name='Oxy_Gen']Which stores accept broken PS2s and for how much?

How do the stores check the systems? As long as it powers on or do they throw in a game and wait for it to load and all that?[/QUOTE]

The market for broken PS2s has tanked. You'll be lucky to get $30-35 for a broken console. That's what I was getting for them in March. I'm pretty sure the price isn't going up.

When I traded in working PS2s last year to Gamestop, the manager would try out silver, blue and black sided games before completing the transaction. Even if you can sneak a busted PS2 past them as working, they have all of your contact information.

If you have any mechanical aptitude, you might try fixing it and dumping it on eBay for $60.

fatherofcaitlyn, is there ever a post of yours that doesn't refer to eBay? Ever since you have been a member of this site you have done nothing but post about "eBay this and eBay that".

I'd be excited to be pick up a new slim PS2 when the price drops. I'd love to have a separate system for games that don't work with the HDD, but I'm not about to pay full price when the PS3 is coming out next year.

[quote name='mtxbass1']good luck making any money off those.[/QUOTE]

On eBay, The average selling price for NASCAR 06 is currently $38 (Xbox) and $39 (PS2).

If I put up a bunch of preorder fixed price style listings, I'm sure I can sell NASCAR 06 for $39.99 with $5 shipping and handling.

That'd be $9.43 profit after fees and what not.

Even if I can only sell at the average selling price, I'm getting over $7 just to put a sealed game into an envelope and handing it to a post office employee.

The average selling price will be around $30 by late September, but I'll be done selling before the release date.

The bigger problem is whether or not CAG members will scam me or not.

Based on your feedback, I'm sure I could trust you.

Are you interested in selling and shipping me your extra NASCAR 06 preorders?

[quote name='fatherofcaitlyn']On eBay, The average selling price for NASCAR 06 is currently $38 (Xbox) and $39 (PS2).

If I put up a bunch of preorder fixed price style listings, I'm sure I can sell NASCAR 06 for $39.99 with $5 shipping and handling.

That'd be $9.43 profit after fees and what not.

Even if I can only sell at the average selling price, I'm getting over $7 just to put a sealed game into an envelope and handing it to a post office employee.

The average selling price will be around $30 by late September, but I'll be done selling before the release date.

The bigger problem is whether or not CAG members will scam me or not.

Based on your feedback, I'm sure I could trust you.

Are you interested in selling and shipping me your extra NASCAR 06 preorders?[/QUOTE]

Did I ever say I was? No. I find it cute how you think that other people would go to eb, do this preorder, just to sell the game to you for $25-28. Who would trade in 5 good non-pox games to eb, to then sell you a game for that amount? Even if you sell it on eBay for $42 you still aren't making as much money as you think you are.

[quote name='mtxbass1']Did I ever say I was? No. I find it cute how you think that other people would go to eb, do this preorder, just to sell the game to you for $25-28. Who would trade in 5 good non-pox games to eb, to then sell you a game for that amount? Even if you sell it on eBay for $42 you still aren't making as much money as you think you are.[/QUOTE]

1. I'm paying $25-$30.

2. The trade in deal is 4 non-pox games, not 5. Additionally, there isn't a limit of 1 per person. So, a single person could places dozens or hundreds of preorders.

3. Talk to tween. He's planning to sell me 2 already. I put the thread up about 15 hours ago.

4. Here is my calculation on the amount of profit I will be making:

Total Sale price: $44.99
minus cost of game: $30
minus maximum shipping allowance paid to CAG member: $2
minus cost of multiple item listing: $0.48
minus paypal fees: $1.42 (rounded up)
minus postage: $1.75
minus padded envelope: $0.21 (rounded up)
minus Final Value Fee: $1.73 (rounded up)
Total Sale price minus maximum expenses: $7.40 (PROFIT)

Point out the arithmetic error or missing expense if you can find one. Otherwise, I have a pretty good idea of how much money I'll be making off of each game.

If nobody else in CAG decides to take me up on the deal, that's fine.

If everybody else in CAG (including you) decides to use this preorder and keep all of the profit (and risk) to themselves, that's fine, too.

"Even if you can sneak a busted PS2 past them as working, they have all of your contact information."

So what? What can they do? Arrest me? HAHHAHA

[quote name='fatherofcaitlyn']1. I'm paying $25-$30.

2. The trade in deal is 4 non-pox games, not 5. Additionally, there isn't a limit of 1 per person. So, a single person could places dozens or hundreds of preorders.

3. Talk to tween. He's planning to sell me 2 already. I put the thread up about 15 hours ago.

4. Here is my calculation on the amount of profit I will be making:

Total Sale price: $44.99
minus cost of game: $30
minus maximum shipping allowance paid to CAG member: $2
minus cost of multiple item listing: $0.48
minus paypal fees: $1.42 (rounded up)
minus postage: $1.75
minus padded envelope: $0.21 (rounded up)
minus Final Value Fee: $1.73 (rounded up)
Total Sale price minus maximum expenses: $7.40 (PROFIT)

Point out the arithmetic error or missing expense if you can find one. Otherwise, I have a pretty good idea of how much money I'll be making off of each game.

If nobody else in CAG decides to take me up on the deal, that's fine.

If everybody else in CAG (including you) decides to use this preorder and keep all of the profit (and risk) to themselves, that's fine, too.[/QUOTE]

Your listing fees aren't going to be that low unless you list at least 5 of one item. Not to mention you aren't factoring any amount of physical work into this whole equation. You still have to list the items, buy all the supplies, print the labels, drive to the post office and drop off (or stand in line) for your packages. So take your $7.40 that you think you are going to make, and deduct all of that from it. My time is worth a bit more than $7.40. Not to even mention you are going on pure speculation that you are going to be able to sell these games for $44.99. What happens when jackass jones decides to undercut you by $2? Oh wait, you have to lower your selling price, further reducing your profit. Lets also talk about a NPB. If someone doesn't pay you, you are still out the listing fees, further reducing your profit.

Where have I ever said anything about "keeping all the profit (and risk) to myself"? I haven't pre-ordered the game, nor do I plan to. I just find it amusing that your entire existance on this site is to do nothing but troll posts looking for ways to make a quick buck on eBay. Congrats to you if you are able to do this in bulk, but you aren't. If you could move 200 copies of the game for a $5 profit then I would truely be impressed. Otherwise you making $35 (so you think) on 5 games is a bit tough to live off of.

PM me and we'll talk more about eBay. I've been a seller for 7 years.

mtxbass1,

Do you mind if we take our flames to my post in CAG trading? A couple of dozen bumps won't hurt it.

Just copy and paste your last post and we'll go from there.

Sincerely,

FatherOfCaitlyn

I called GS and EB. GS only gives $60. EB gives $75 and they are running a promotion through Sat (next 3 days) for an extra $30 if you trade in 3 games, so I'm gonna try that tomorrow or Friday. Dunno if I have 3 non POX games I want to trade though.

Traded in my PS2 plus three games tonight for a total of $115 credit! Games were

Silent Hill 3 (picked up for $10 at TRU a long time ago)
Fight Night 2004 (given to me for free from my wife's coworker who made her husband sell his PS2)
Cubix (bought at EB tonight for $8 since I didn't have a third non POX game with me)

The employees were really helpful. I had planned on trading in Stretch Panic but it was POX. So they helped me find the cheapest non POX game in there just to flip (they actually used that word).

I'm saving the credit in hopes that the slim PS2 will drop in November.

Update: The deal at eb for $30 extra is still active until Aug 27th. Now is the time to trade it in if you're have any problems at all or if you just want to get a PSTwo (still hoping for a price drop in Nov!)

bread's done
Back