Best deal you ever got on a video game/console?

I think my favorite deal was :ps2: Shadow Hearts: Covenant for $9.99. It's still sealed with the price sticker.

More recently, I got a complete :360: Mass Effect 2 CE for ~$26 shortly before ME3 was released. Back then, it was worth about $60-$80.

I also got a complete :ps3: Dante's Inferno for $9.99 a week or two after it was released. It's now a common game, but at the time it was a hell of a deal.

I'm only a very casual flipper, but finding a brand new :gc: Phantasy Star I & 2 Plus for $25 and selling it the next day for $65 introduced me to the concept of flipping.

[quote name='Dark Lord Greg']Well a few off the top of my head:

Super Nintendo, Sega Dreamcast and Gameboy Advance for $20 (Craigslist)
Conan, Qubed, Condemned 2, Bionic Commando and X-Blades for Xbox 360 - $0 (Toys R Us)
Metroid Prime Trilogy, The Conduit Special Edition, Fallout 3 (360) -$45 or $60 (Gamestop B2G1)[/QUOTE]

please explain this

[quote name='MasaTFC']please explain this[/QUOTE]

There was some sort of coupon coinciding with the release of Halo Reach I think, some people really abused it, they basically stopped the discount a few days after. It basically took $10 off every 360 game on the receipt, people were buying up all the $9.99 games making them essentially free. I picked up two copies of Qubed myself.

For consoles, quite a few. I picked up a NES in a box in awesome condition (guy was a trucker, said he barely played it and had no kids), the Zapper, an Advantage, and around 10 games for $3. Picked up a spare NES for $1 at another with no cords, but it was jammed in the box for the top loader which I figure is worth more than $1 to someone. Gameboy Color for $3 with the rubber drop pad, another GBC and a GBP missing battery cases for $1 each. GBA for $10, GBA SP for $15 (with charger and everything)

But my personal top is my Mountain Dew Limited Edition XBox I got for $20. Came with an s-controller that looks like the Halo Limited Edition one (it's that dark see through green), a few sports games, Flatout and in the disc player, a copy of COD: Finest Hour.

I also got a 360 from club.live, but it died after two or three years of use.

As for games, I once hit a yard sale and bought Final Fantasy, Power Pad, and World Class Track Meet for the NES, and for the Genesis Shadowrun, Phantasy Star 2-4, Shining Force, Battletoads Double Dragon and something else for $6 total so it came out to 60 cents a game. At another, I bought a ton of Zelda/Mario games for the GC for $1 each, and unloaded them to amazon for a nice profit as well as picking up Zombies Ate My Neighbors, Super Mario Kart and I think another SNES game or two for $1 each as well. Also, Marvel vs. Capcom 2 for the XBox and MvC for the DC. Dumped MvC2, ended up buying another copy of 2 for the PS2 that was 3 for $1 at another yardsale that's missing the case (along with a just disc of THUG2 and GTA2 Greatest Hits in the case)

Oh, and Overlord for the PS3 at K-Mart for $1 (and I used rewards credit from stuff my mom bought). Ended up sitting on it for a while out of laziness and then dumped it to Best Buy for $6 during a 100% trade in bonus sale.

Oh, and Dead Rising for the 360 for free from glyde and one of the Fire Pro games for GBA for free when goozex launched. Both thanks to this site. :)

[quote name='skiizim']There was some sort of coupon coinciding with the release of Halo Reach I think, some people really abused it, they basically stopped the discount a few days after. It basically took $10 off every 360 game on the receipt, people were buying up all the $9.99 games making them essentially free. I picked up two copies of Qubed myself.[/QUOTE]

This has to be my best "deal." I got 7 or 8 games for free. Couldn't believe it. Cashier was really surprised by it, and seemed happy for me (I did purchase something as to not have a balance of $0 for 8 games.)

I've had several newer games that I've gotten for $8-$15 from Target clearance, but they don't mark clearance down much anymore around here.

Got a N64 w/expansion and 8 games from a yard sale for $5 (games were crap though)

Got an Intellivision with 12 boxed games for $3 from an old lady at a yard sale. That was a fun sale, and the lady was super nice.

Another good one came from a yard sale. There was a gameboy game case for sale with a .50 cent sticker on it. I noticed it had 6 Pokemon gameboy games in it, so I got excited and handed it to the lady. She looked at it and took my .50 cents. It wasn't until later I realized that each game had a $3 sticker on them and I kinda felt bad, but she did look at it, just didn't open it up.

$5 Rockband 3 (PS3) from target.. I still have it sealed..
I bought a bunch of $20 Metroid Primes from Bestbuy only because I wanted to cover up that Fairy Tales fight were free. I planned on returning the Primes but luckily i didnt..
Bought more clearanced Metroid Primes from target during B2G1..

I was lucky to be at sears right when they started 75% off most games, accessories and systems...

Almost forgot. I got that Legend of Zelda Gamecube exclusive bonus disc for $2 at a yard sale. My friend flipped it on ebay for me for $25 after his cut.

Oh, and I got a bunch of Pokemon games for my nephews for $1 each at a yard sale. Blue, Gold and 2 Silvers. I found him a red at a pawn shop for $2. Also when in there, I got the Mario RPG for $2 as well, cart only but it in pristine shape.

$6, no haggling required.

DSCF2310_zps17917aa9.jpg

[quote name='TiKi2']$6, no haggling required.

DSCF2310_zps17917aa9.jpg
[/QUOTE]

See this is what Im talking about. Now thats a find lol. I want to find me a deal like this. just insane. was this craigslist or flea market?

[quote name='arsenalcrazy8']See this is what Im talking about. Now thats a find lol. I want to find me a deal like this. just insane. was this craigslist or flea market?[/QUOTE]

Church rummage sale. I've been there a few times and lucked out because I got the lady that gives good deals.

[quote name='TiKi2']$6, no haggling required.

DSCF2310_zps17917aa9.jpg
[/QUOTE]

6 bucks for the items, but the headaches are free!

seriously, thats a winner right there. good stuff mate.

- Duck Tales 2 for 50 cents at a yard sale

- Chip n Dale Rescue Rangers 2 for $10 at some used game store that didn't know what it was

- Atari Jaguar for $5 at a yard sale (talked her down from $10 lol)

- Zelda Link to the Past x2, Chrono Trigger, Breath of Fire 1 and 2, Illusion of Gaia, Secret of Evermore, Secret of Mana - all of them boxed, 100% complete, in mint condition. One of the Zeldas is still sealed. Price: Free (someone brought them to my mom's work and asked if anyone wanted them before they dropped them off at goodwill)

[quote name='boosted02gt']I just got a 120 gb PS3 with a non working drive off of Craigslist for a trade of my Xbox 1.

Took the ps3 apart to clean the lens it and work perfectly again. That was a good deal.[/QUOTE]

Wait...You mean you traded a regular xbox Gen 1 for a ps3? That's a crazy trade.

I got Blur a month after release (when still at full retail on the shelves) with a BB coupon and MFR coupon that stacked for $1.80 (had to pay tax on the base $30 after BB coupon was taken off but before the MFR coupon). The clerk blinked a couple times, then shrugged shoulders and took my money. No CS mgr override needed.

We all probably have stories of various free games from BB when they used to run stupid coupons and then have a universal markdown the same month. The old coupons were limit 6. The one that sticks out most for me was Fairytale Fights, which was a guaranteed $20 trade-in at GS the same week for some promotion they were running. $120 trade value for no money out of pocket. Fairytale Fights is the only game I ever abused this way, mostly because they had about sixty copies for some reason. My BB usually never has that many of anything. I bought a soda and a Skittles so there would be a little something to pay.

I also got two Star Wars XBox 360 bundles (one at $450 retail, the other a couple months later when they dropped to $400 retail) on GS credit, no money out of pocket. Don't know if that counts.

Finding a CIB copy of Railfan for PS3 at GameStop for $19.99 is my best I believe. I haven't checked the prices on it lately, but at the time it was going for $150-$200. It's an import game, And GS doesn't even have it in their system. They had it labeled DJ Hero 2.

[quote name='The Punisher']Wait...You mean you traded a regular xbox Gen 1 for a ps3? That's a crazy trade.[/QUOTE]

Yup I just traded for it last sunday. It is sitting on my floor right now.Not sure what to do with it quite yet. Probably just put it in my bedroom or something since my main is in the living room.

edit : Forgot about when I ordered 18 LA Noire Penny Guides from Best Buy.com I had to place 6 separate orders for 3 guides per order. I put them up on Amazon for 6.99 each + 3.99 shipping and sold 17 of them. Number 18 was for my personal collection.

Last edited by a moderator:
My best deal pales in comparison to some of the ones you all have found. I found Harvest Moon 64 at Walmart for like $20 several years ago when the N64 was going out the door.

Finding a console only loose SNES mini for $10 at thrift store would probably be my next best find.

I have to say my best deal was getting a launch night 360 pro edition console and 5 launch games for basically 25 bucks cash out of pocket. The way it came about was this was when EB Games was still around and they would have these stupid trade in promos that would double your money if you knew about them and could work them properly. They were running a trade promo at the time where if you traded in a Nintendo 64 and 5 select games you would get 50 bucks in trade credit. However, the kicker was you could buy a pre-owned system for 17.99 and look through the bargain bin to find 5 of the acceptable titles for under 10 bucks. Me and some other people in my area would buy a system and 5 games at one store then drive 5 miles to the next store and trade it in. Then rebuy another system and 5 games and go back to the original store and trade it in. Rinse and repeat for the entire 4 weeks this promo ran and all of us made over 1 grand in trade credit. Even the store people got in on the action as well. The funniest part of the whole thing was the regional manager was so thrilled by the sales and trade ins that he had more systems and games sent to these stores and gave the managers a bonus for all the great work.

Ahhh Good times!

Have had some really good finds via CL and yard sales. These are my highlights.

$1 each for boxed SNES games at a yard sale, including mario RPG, turtles in time, a snes turbo controller etc.

$150 for a 3ds with zelda oot, mario kart 7, and rayman 3d which I kept. And then another $132 worth of games which I sold. Netting me the 3ds and those games for $18 at CL

$3 for link to the past, mega man x, mario kart snes, and contra 3 at a yard sale.

And this was a fun one. $1 for a CiB http://www.amazon.com/Hasbro-Heroscape-Master-Set-Valkyrie/dp/B0001ITVZQ at a church rummage sale. Sold it for $110 on CL

[quote name='my2k2zx2']Are we getting in to instant win promotions & sweepstakes? If so, I've got a LOT.[/QUOTE]
OOh fun!
Ive gotten 24k in MSP free. ($300 worth) Just ran out last week.
From the call of duty gamestop promo, there was a 3 hour window one day where every time you entered, you won guaranteed. I stopped at 24k.. I should of kept going!

This is a tough one... Most recently was at the flea market. I went to the flea market with an NES, Mario 1 2 and 3, 2 cheap Blus, a couple DVDs, a couple PS3 games I had gotten from Target clearance, and a couple other garbage NES/Genesis/PS2 games, overall what I brought cost me a little less then $40. I came back with this:
IMAG0190.jpg

The guy I got it from is usually a dick and way overprices, but he was all too happy to trade the NES and Mario games for the VB. I started to walk away and he asked if I wanted to get rid of the rest of my stuff, so after a bit of haggling we arrived at $25. I spent the rest of the money on everything else pictured, the Kindle works perfect and was for my wife ($9) and the CEs are complete except the game ($10 for both + Keyblades).

Mega Man Legends 2, Megaman X Collection for Gamecube, Smash Bros 64, Mario Kart 64, and a Dreamcast for $5 each. Like a month ago or something

Last edited by a moderator:
Xbox for $30 year after it came out, I worked at KB toys and we had to get rid of our demo unit. Microsoft rep said anyone can have it, convinced everyone but 1 guy to let me have it, had to buy him a ps2 copy of mlb2k1 for $30.

60gb PS3 for $400 after tax 2 months after launch, stacked coupons at meijer.

$20 sega Saturn brand new and about a dozen new games at $2.50/ea including die hard arcade when target clearances the Saturn stuff out in 1998 or so.

Managed to get a pretty good deal today. Rockband 3 disc only, Rockband wired drumset, Rockband Wireless Stratocaster Guitar, and wireless guitar dongle. $35 cash

The game alone sells for $40-$55 on ebay.

I will NEVER forget this deal in my life time. It will likely stay with me until I die. I was looking on our usedRegina and found someone selling a Nintendo Wii and some games. I called them up and asked them if it included a Mario game.

I finally went over with a friend and a 100 dollars cash. We went to the door and got it. I opened the bag of goods in the car to see WHICH mario game they sold me for the 100 dollars.

LO AND BEHOLD New Super Mario Bros! I screamed like a pansy. I hollered that THIS SINGLE game ALONE cost 70 dollars in the STORE alone by it self!

The Wii was all there, all parts and every thing. That was the biggest value thing before the games were put on top. Means the Wii part would be, alone cost nothing because of the tons of games that came with it.

I will never forget until the hour I die.

[quote name='Krullwolf']$60 for Earthbound, Chrono Trigger, and Secret of Mana

That was a wonderful day.[/QUOTE]

Damn. Cib? Or cart only?

And where did you get that at?

I bought silent hill and symphony of the night for ps1 on a blockbuster clearance years ago. Paid $2 for silent hill, kept it sealed and sold it for $112 when the first movie hit.

Bought tales of destiny (10)for ps1 at a flea market. Sold it for $60

[quote name='boosted02gt']Managed to get a pretty good deal today. Rockband 3 disc only, Rockband wired drumset, Rockband Wireless Stratocaster Guitar, and wireless guitar dongle. $35 cash

The game alone sells for $40-$55 on ebay.[/QUOTE]

Not a bad deal for the game + the gear. However, not sure where you are getting the $40-$55 price on ebay.

I remember picking up the game brand new at Gamestop the day they announced that the plug was being pulled on the Rockband series of games for like $7.99. Also getting the game + keyboard for $20 at K-mart clearance. Also the official keyboard stand for $1 at kmart ;)

I stupidly paid $60 for the game and $70 for the keyboard (I used trade in credit for all of it though). I figured that for PS3 since there was no bundle that the PS3 keyboard wouldn't be cheap ever since it would probably be sold out by the time a store would be ready to put it on clearance. Then last year I saw the keyboard for PS3 for $24 at Target and they keyboard and game bundle for Wii for $20 at Sam's Club.

sold my 4gb slim to a guy at work for 100 and his slim (messed up disc tray) replaced the tray sold it for 140 then bought the walmart skylanders slim bundle and sold the skylanders for 30 so i got a new white slim and $90 for a little of my time

BB pm's from TRU GC deals
Buy 2 get a $40 GC ended up being...
$40 off each game(not each set of games) & them selling me $40 BB GC's
I got 10 recently released games for $200 & $400 in BB GC's

I also did the same type of deal with a $50 GC this time & the end result was
8 games for $280, $200 in BB GC's & $80 in RZ certs(some of the games were $20 RZ promo)

This was a great deal (this was a long time ago when these had just come out).
imagehhd.jpg

Or perhaps the developer and debug xbox consoles I just picked up a few days ago for a grand total of $150 for both consoles.

[quote name='jmintuck']I will NEVER forget this deal in my life time. It will likely stay with me until I die. I was looking on our usedRegina and found someone selling a Nintendo Wii and some games. I called them up and asked them if it included a Mario game.

I finally went over with a friend and a 100 dollars cash. We went to the door and got it. I opened the bag of goods in the car to see WHICH mario game they sold me for the 100 dollars.

LO AND BEHOLD New Super Mario Bros! I screamed like a pansy. I hollered that THIS SINGLE game ALONE cost 70 dollars in the STORE alone by it self!

The Wii was all there, all parts and every thing. That was the biggest value thing before the games were put on top. Means the Wii part would be, alone cost nothing because of the tons of games that came with it.

I will never forget until the hour I die.[/QUOTE]

Lucky! I want that game SO bad! The local GS has some of the pre-owned copies for $45 USD or something like that. Once one hits between $35-$40 WITH the red case + inserts, I'll bite. :bouncy:

last year, NES top loader with all wires and the dog bone controller, with 10 games (including Zelda 1 & 2, and a "BUNCH" (aka color dreams) game for $25 at a yard sale.
Made my money back on the Zelda games, essentially got the bundle free.
(for whatever reason zelda II didn't make it into this pic.)

2012-10-13_09-46-06_714_zps9bd4a90b.jpg

[quote name='boosted02gt']Managed to get a pretty good deal today. Rockband 3 disc only, Rockband wired drumset, Rockband Wireless Stratocaster Guitar, and wireless guitar dongle. $35 cash

The game alone sells for $40-$55 on ebay.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Monoxide1986']Not a bad deal for the game + the gear. However, not sure where you are getting the $40-$55 price on ebay.

I remember picking up the game brand new at Gamestop the day they announced that the plug was being pulled on the Rockband series of games for like $7.99. Also getting the game + keyboard for $20 at K-mart clearance. Also the official keyboard stand for $1 at kmart ;)[/QUOTE]

My ebay sales were over for this set.

Game alone sold for 41.00 + shipping
Dongle alone sold for $14.24 + shipping
Guitar alone sold for $2.99 + shipping
Drums sold for $3.49 + shipping

All totaled with shipping it was about $85.00, not amazing but not too bad.

I have some new items I am selling now though including a Zelda Skyward Sword bundle with Gold remote (Sealed). Grabbed it for $25.00 today. Last one that sold on ebay went for about $117.xx just a day ago.

I think I got a great bargain that required about an hour of walking.

I had about $85 in Gamestop credit so I went to Gamestop A and purchased Skyword Sword. Then I went to Gamestop B to do a return and rebuy and got back Skyword Sword along with Pokemon Soul Silver and a like new complete version of Xenoblade Chronicles as part of the B2G1 free sale and used the 20% B-day coupon so the total was $83.68. Then I went to Gamestop C to trade in Skyword Sword and Soul Silver for $64 - .44 for Link's Crossbow Training.

So when its all said and done I basically paid about $20 for Xenoblade which is way better then the prices being asked for on Ebay.

[quote name='boogie4114']I think I got a great bargain that required about an hour of walking.

I had about $85 in Gamestop credit so I went to Gamestop A and purchased Skyword Sword. Then I went to Gamestop B to do a return and rebuy and got back Skyword Sword along with Pokemon Soul Silver and a like new complete version of Xenoblade Chronicles as part of the B2G1 free sale and used the 20% B-day coupon so the total was $83.68. Then I went to Gamestop C to trade in Skyword Sword and Soul Silver for $64 - .44 for Link's Crossbow Training.

So when its all said and done I basically paid about $20 for Xenoblade which is way better then the prices being asked for on Ebay.[/QUOTE]

Can u tell me how much was for each game? Trying to see the math...

Paid $50 on CL for a PS3 console w/controller, all cords, all papers, and even a beat-to-heck box. Sold it so cheap because they kept getting some-sort of error message. Just did some reformatting and it worked in less than an hour.

bread's done
Back