Best deals of '07 - Canadian Edition

imcrazy

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
With boxing day now over, we can now look back over the past year and remember some of the amazing deals we all got. For me 2007 has been the best year for deals, especially for Canada. With all the amazing exclusive deals we got and the dollar surpassing the USD, I must say for once we really kicked the American's asses on this front.

This year I award the best place to shop for insane deals to:
- Rogers Video for the 2 for 30/40 deal
- EB Games for trade 3 get it free deal and (how could I forget?!) trade # of games for console deals.

Other mentionable deals include:
- Amazon for game of the day/random blowout prices (eg GH2 bundle for $30)
- Blockbuster for trade 4 get it free
- Dell for random deals (such as Wiimote+Nunchuck for $54) and console bundles
- Zellers for occasional good deals (when the employees actually know what is going on, and when the ad is not actually a typo) eg. Wiiplay bundle for $40
- Walmart for some hidden gems in their bargain bins (and games that work at EB :lol:)

Overall an amazing year for Canadians, now let’s share some of the personal best deals we got for ourselves.

For me:
1st place goes to... my 70 dollar wii that I got from eb games. Used a combination of trade 2 for 30 and trade 3 for 1 free deal to pull that one off. And worked so well that when I got to eb games, they had them. No waiting and no need to call to confirm stock. I was ridiculously happy that day.

2nd place goes to... my 9 dollar DS that I got with eb games' trade 6 get a DS deal. (how could I forget, thanks Lockescythe)

3rd place goes to... a $4 copy of Mass Effect. EB games trade 3 get it free deal.

This was a phenomenal year for me. So much so that boxing day was such an anti-climax. When you are used to getting such good deals, all others deals pale in comparison.

Let's hope 2008 will be just as good or better.

My votes:

Amazon Deal of the day/boxing day sale having quite rare games be 15$ off is pretty amazing.

Zellers wii****up:20$ each for brand new wii games even if it was only for 4 hours was insanity.Also though I didn't buy their 25$ boxing day games is actually quite amazing for them too. They hardly ever give good deals.

Eb extra percent off with edge card/console deals. trade 6 for a ds was sweet the double edge card savings month was also sweet.
The boxing day console deals even though they are kinda old consoles is straight up amazing.

BBVs trade in values/used game sales:
not always amazing but almost always better than ebs. trade any 3 xbox 360 games for warioware was my highlight of this deal. Buy one get a used half off was pretty hot as well also the half off all new games 19.99 or less too.

But my vote for deal of the year is:

Rogers 2 for 40/ 2 for 30

I mean I knocked off my entire wii need list with this sale

Almost brand new Mario Galaxy...check.
Copy of nearly impossible to find fire meblem for cube....check
new trauma center, olympic games, mario party 8, strikers charged check.

brand new clearance copy of fire emblem for wii for 15 $ Oh heck yes.

Im hoping rogers has this next year too. Makes me reprice new games completly in my head.

My personal bests are:

20$ copy of Mario Galaxy from 2 for 40
20$ copy of Twilight Princess from Zellers **** up
15$ copy of Fire Emblem Path of radiance for cube
15$ brand new copy of Fire Emblem for Wii
77$ For an Xbox with 7 games and a 1 year replacement plan (EB)
70$ Brand new DS lite by buying games specifically to trade in to them.(eb)

[quote name='ammowasted']How do the trade in deals for the consoles work? Are they any 6 games? Or do they have to be next gen?[/quote]

Right now the only trade in deals for consoles is:

Save up to $200 on a new PS3, Xbox360 or PSP system.

For a limited time, trade in up to 8 applicable games and receive up to $200 in trade in credit towards the purchase of a new PS3, Xbox360, Wii or PSP system. Games must have a minimum $8 trade in value to qualify. Some conditions apply. See store associate for details.

Taken from: http://www.ebgames.ca/tradepromotions.asp

The trade 6 for a DS ended quite some time ago.

I would say Rogers Video gets my vote for sure. I mean, their stupid sales have made it so I don't even find a $40 game cheap anymore ;_;

I got Bioshock for about $45 from Music World due to their closing out sale...and I picked up Zelda for DS for $25....which are now cheaper than that due to these Boxing Day sales...but it was good at the time.

I didn't buy a whole lot of games this year, but I was extremely stoked when I found The Darkness for $20 at SuperStore and Condemned for $20 at Walmart.

Tossup between EB Game's Trade 3 deal, and Rogers 2 for $30/$40.

The Rogers deal is better, but it's out of my way on the usual commute, where there's an EB Games at the mall across for me.

This is actually the year where I was reborn a gamer again (I hardly played video games since 2000), so obviously all these deals have been great on my wallet.

it seems like everyone else has good luck with rogers except for me, anyways...

- dell.ca for doing 15$ off for most of the brand new / preorder games (halo3, mass effect, smg, ass creed, etc.)
- 10$ new crackdown, stuntman ignition, moto gp 07 at eb boxing day
- amazon.ca 25$ 360 wireless (pink!) controller is pretty sweet
- 99$ for the 360 racing wheel + pgr3 at futureshop in the spring was really good

those are at least the ones that stood out

ps TC it's kind of redundant if your top 3 deals are all eb games trade in related lol

For me it's the EB trade-6 deals: got a white, black, and crimson DS bundle for about $270 taxes in.

Rogers 2/30 takes second place, since I was never able to snag the best games.

1) 25$ (thanks to trade 4 for 1 BBV) Call of Duty 4
2) Black controller and Play & Charge 35$
3) 15$ games (Rogers 2/30) Naruto, Smackdown 2008, Eternal Sonata, Ace Combat 6, Halo 3, Unreal tournament, Madden 08, NHL 08
4) Nba 2k8 - 14$ - dell pricematch at FS
5) 19.99 Mario Party 8 Wii FS pricematch error

The only deals i really took advantage of were the Rogers 2/40 2/30 and the source clearance sales. Didn't even bother with boxing day deals though.

$4 perfect dark and viva pinata for 360 on dell.ca (w/ free shipping)

buy 4, trade them to blockbuster and get halo 3, mass effect, assassin's creed or something of the sort for $18 total.

$10 Nintendo Wii component cables (official ones even) @ SuperStore on boxing day. Still can't believe they would put them on clearance for no particular reason when every other store in the province sells them for $35+.

Hmmm, this is a tough one to call. I had some pretty amazing deals this year:

1) Amazon.ca's Halo Legendary Edition for $59.99 - $10 with Visa and new Amazon.ca account = $49.99. I wish the helmet would actually fit ;p

2) Trade in 3 games worth $8+ (8 or more) for a new release game ONLY at EB Games for FREE (within 2 weeks of a new game's release), so I got Unreal Tournament 3 by trading in Blazing Angels, Jericho, and NHL2k8.

3) Got Forza Motorsport 2 Limited Edition Box and Dead or Alive 4 both new and in the clearance bin at Rogers Video for the 2 for $30 deal; plus a few other great titles for the 2 for $30/$40 as well.

I guess my vote goes to Amazon.ca's Halo Legendary Edition deal~!

p.s. I would've mentioned Dell.ca's 3 days of deals for games, however, I had an order problem with them. I never received my order of the Orange Box for my PS3 and when I called to inquire about it, they told me that they had some production/delivery problems. So I cancelled my order unfortunately.

[quote name='Firestorm']Americans are probably amazed that so many of us love EB deals XD[/quote]

Yet we still like to bitch them out every chance we get. :roll:

1) Zellers 2 Wii games for 40$ in March-April (can't remember) was pure gold.

2) EBGames Trade 3, Get 1 Free ... I got Mario Party 8, Big Brain Academy, Super Mario Galaxy, Super Paper Mario, Super Smash Brawl

1) TSCC clearance on games. Bought some for myself, and some for the...

2) EBG 3 for 1 deals. Scored 2 games from this

The best thing about the Source clearance was the fact that RFD seemed a bit slow in picking up on it. Even now, there is a good deal once in a while, and they don't seem to notice. The deals we get to before they swoop in are the best :D

But the best deal for me was finding thisa forum. It's a great place to find deals, and a great bunch of peeps here too! ;)

[quote name='kech']hands down my R4DS from dealextreme
countless hours of fun on my DS........[/quote]

I totally agree

I've only been in Canada for a week, but the best thing I got was Syphon Filter Logan's Shadow for PSP for $20 at EB. I don't want to go back the US now... the deals here are AMAZING!!!

best deal for me? the $9.99 Nights Journey of Dreams that i got at zellers. i was pricematching a coule EB deals (DOAX2 and Stuntman Ignition) and they rang in a sealed copy of Nights that they had at the counter for $9.99. i didn't say anything about it, i just paid for it, and laughed all the way home.

bread's done
Back